AfriGeneas States Research Forum
Re: [VA] Patrick Ivey
In Response To: [VA] Patrick Ivey ()
1. This looks like Patrick in 1870 with his family in case you do not haveit
Name: Patrick Ivey
2. It seems they had a child named Evan Ivey who died in Union Springs, Bullock County, Alabama in 1931: http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#placeId=33&searchType=close&alivePlaceLoc1=Alabama%2C%20United%20States&surname=Ivey&givenName=patrick&p=recordResults
3. Bullock County was created 5 December 1866 from Barbour, Macon, Montgomery and Pike Counties.
4. I would locate as many on that death index above and order the death certificates to see what is listed as the parent's birth place(s). I have been successful with that technique in the past when I wanted to learn more about the parents. Fortunately, you have lots of children to trace.
5. I would then go to this website to read about genealogical resources for African Americans in Alabama: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Alabama_Minorities
6. You will need to step back slowly in time and widen your search to include the whole family group, research any Ivey's with the same name in the area, esp white (Wills, and land).
I hope this helps.