This may be a little long winded but I want to make it clear what I am looking for.
In 1930 Asheville, NC Ida May VANCE Slater bn 1907 was married to Duncan Slater the 3rd bn in SC 1919. I am looking at the direct line descendant IDA MAY VANCE.
1. Her father was JAMES VANCE bn abt 1868 SC. and mother was Ida Fuller bn abt 1868 SC. Sometime between 1920 and 1930 James and wife Ida moved to NC.
2. I found a Duncan Slater the first in SC. Duncan Slater the 2nd and Ida May had 2 children (documented by 1930). Maryland Slater bn 1924 NC and Duncan Slater Jr bn 1928 NC. (There were 3 DUNCAN SLATER'S who I assume were related in someway because the name was a little odd at that time)
3. By 1930 JAMES VANCE is no longer listed in the household with IDA the wife, so it is assumed he had died.
4. In IDA's home in 1930 NC the people LUCILLE VANCE Warren, another child of James and Ida Vance, with husband William Warren, Duncan Slater the 3rd and IDA MAY VANCE Slater and their daughter Maryland. Oscar FULLER the nephew of IDA, age 20 at this time(Oscar had moved into this household with his aunt Ida), and 2 VANCE granddaughters. I don't want to put their names here because they still may be living. ( There was a Ida Vance the mother and Ida May, the daughter)
What I am trying to trace is the VANCE descendants through 1937 Asheville NC and find out their names and locations.
5. I have found a Duncan Slater the first, 40 living in SC 1900 with a wife and children, but no Duncan Slater the second, bn SC into NC, and then a Duncan the 3rd who married IDA MAY the daughter of James VANCE and IDA Fuller Vance.
6. In Ida's household in 1930 there is a son, Henry VANCE bn abt 1902. I believe I connected him on a city directory with a wife named KITTY only 1 time.
7. Also found a James Jr bn abt 1891 in Ida Vance's household.
It seemed to take quite a few couples living in this one household to maintain some type of living comfort.
Can anyone tell me where to go from here to try and connect the dots of family. I am getting into the 1940's and I am sure a lot of family is older and still living, so I don't want to cause any distress for them and put their names out there. Identity theft is alive and well and with the oncoming 2010 Census, everybody should be on the alert with phoney census takers. REMEMBER if it doesn't come to you in the mail, it ain't for real. NO ONE WILL CALL ON THE PHONES. Be causcious ALWAYS.
If anyone knows anything about this family group that lived in Buncombe, Brunswick, Asheville NC around 1937 and up to now. I appreciate being directed to any articles such as newspaper's, or obits. THANKS!!!!