AfriGeneas States Research Forum
[TX] Lincolnville (Coryell County)
(audio and/or transcript)
In the mid 1850s yeoman farmers from southern states migrated into the fringes of American settlement in west central Texas, bringing with them slaves to break the land, cultivate the crops, and serve their families. In Coryell County, U.S. troops based at Fort Gates created a barrier between the settlers and the Comanche Indians. In 1865, upon first hearing of their emancipation, many of the Coryell County blacks, finally free to make their own ways in the world, chose to stay where they were.
As soon as they were able, the liberated slaves purchased land along the west side of the Leon River, near a turn in the river called Moccasin Bend. Adopting the name of their liberator, they called their new home Lincolnville.
By 1872, the residents of Lincolnville had established a church and opened a school, institutions which bound them to one another just as their farms united them with the land. As the settlers married, reared large families, and their children intermarried, their relationships grew stronger.
Read more or listen here: http://www.baylor.edu/oral_history/index.php?id=28890