AfriGeneas States Research Forum
[KY] South Carrollton
In Response To: [KY] Mt. Tabor Baptist Church & Cemetery? ()
It was located in the right place with a river on one side. A railroad down the center and surrounded by a well improved fertile region of farming country.
The town was destined to become a center of commerce and it did and was for 40 odd years. The beginning of its decline was probarly for want of a good college business manager.
According to old accounts, the village of South Carrollton was begun in 1838 and like most settlements of the time. It grew very slowly. Itis locate on a high plateau on the left bank of the Green River and about equal distant on the old steamboat route between Bowling Green and Evansville.
The town was incorporated on February 25, 1849. After having been laid out by John Fentress on what was known as the "Old Randolph Farm." The site had formerly been a tanyard for many years.
On November 14, 1848, a Post Office had been authorized for South
Twelve streets were named on the original plan and the eastern border
From its location on the river, the village soon became a shipping
The Whitehall and Lovelace Taverns were the first and second Hotels in
On May 12, 1851, John E. Reno was elected as postmaster and two years
Nathaniel Rowland was the next postmaster beginning July 23, 1855. One year later, on July 22, 1856, James W. Sullivan became the sixth postmaster of the village.
General Von Steuben, the distinguished Prussian General. Located his
South Carrollton was also the scene of some excitment during the Civil
His headquarters were at the Lovelace Tavern.
....On two hills, south and southwest of South Carrollton, Crittenden
Also in January of that same yhear, a unit of General Grant's Comman,
On June 8, 1861, John Clark took the job as postmaster and then the job went to Thomas Bruce on March 12, 1864. After the war, Andrew G. Ferguson became postmaster on August 22, 1866.
Jesse S. Hill became South Carrollton's 10th postmaster on October 25,
During this period, a fine school had been erected in South Carrollton.It was called South Carrollton male and female Academy. One of the best known educators in western Kentucky, Professor Wayland Alexander, was in charge of this school. Later, in 1886, the Institute became the west Kentrucky Classical and Normal College by act of the Legislature. The Institution brought so many young men and women to South Carrollton that some expected it to become a seat of learning for the region. Its course of studies was of high order and graduates were given license to teach in public schools in Kentucky without passing an examination before the state board. Many unlimited sholarships were sold at the rate of $300.00 each. Good for an indefinite period and were transferable.
The students who attended this school during its early phases recieved
On September 2, 1873, John T. Gossett became the postmaster.
At about that time the L&N Railroad laid its tracks throught South
Transportation facilities were improved and several new enterprises were undertaken, some of them lasting until the close of the century.
A rock quarry was opened and operated by John Ohman, which at one time
Some of the stone cutters empolyed were paid as highas $8.00 a day.
The town had a distillery operated by Tom Baker in 1888, which burnd and was never rebuilt. Several cooperages-making barrel staves were locate in South Carrollton at that time.
A large flour mill was built by the Humphrey Brothers and lated sold to the Woolcott Brothers, who operated it for about 40 years before selling it to J. R. Rogers.
On February 10, 1875, James T. Lawton became postmaster and on April 8,1881, Clyde A. Lawton took over as postmaster but he was to remain only one month, until May 9, 1881, when Benjamin S. Hewlett became the 14th postmaster of South Carrollton.
Then on February 20, 1882, Clyde A. Lawton again took over the job as
On March 27, 1889, Elizabeth E. Mcintire became the village's first
The town now had a population of 600 and was a considerable trade center. There were four general stores, two drug stores, four grocery stores, two millinery stores, two marble shops, two livery stables and two blacksmith and wood working shops in the town. In addition there wre two good hotels and a large flour mill.
There were two physicians, Dr's J. R. Barnes and John N. Moorman.
By 1890 there was excellent transportation by rail and water. two
A tragedy occured in the South Carrollton vicinity on June 5, 1892.
It was discovered after the wreck, that it was caused by a mistake. The engineer of the Southbound train carrying some 180 excursion passengers to Bowling Green, misread his timetable.
A regular passenger train was headed north from Russellville to
Welsh slowed his train to a stop as the excursion came out of a cut and around a curve. Welsh and fireman W. B. Ramsey jumped for their lives and the other train smashed into their's at almost full speed.
Both engines were hurled from the tracks down a 12 foot embankment.
On May 26, 1897, Clayton S. Curd became the postmaster and then on
Probably the first mine explosion in Muhlenberg County occured on
On July 5, 1913, Lige L. Lawton was appointed postmaster and the
Jo M. Ferguson, a native of South Carrollton and a son of Dr. Jo
On January 12, 1961, Erma S. Wheeldon became postmaster and then on
In times past the town was a major river port on the Green River. It
During the Earlier river boat days, almost everything that came in to
Mrs Agnes Harralson saw it on the maiden voyage and as it sank on its
Today, South Carrollton is a bedroom community for those who work other place. Its population has dwindled to about 200 souls. In its heyday in the earlier part of the century, it boasted an estimated, 1,000 population.
Some of the family names of those who have lived in South Carrollton
It was named South Carrollton to distingush it from Carrollton, the
This is from "A New History of Muhlenberg County" pae 113, by: Paul