AfriGeneas States Research Forum
[IN] Lyle's Station - Gibson Co., IN
From the official website:
"Legacy of Lyles Station
Brothers Joshua and Sanford Lyles, freed slaves who arrived and purchased land in Gibson County in the late 1850ís, founded the community. It took the name Lyles Station in 1886 with the establishment of a railroad station there, an event which greatly assisted the areaís economic development. The town flourished during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and developed into a self-sustaining town of approximately 800 residents. During its peak (1880-1913) Lyles Station consisted of fifty-five homes, an elementary school, two churches, two general stores and a lumber mill...."