I am looking for any living descendants of the following Canady-Cyrus families.
CANADY-CYRUS FAMILY FROM NORTH CAROLINA, KENTUCKY, TENNESSEE, ARKANSAS & OKLAHOMA
The 1880 Census of Giles, Tennessee, page 147, District Seven (National Archives Film No. T9-1257 Census CD) lists the following: (Note: Canady/Canada is spelled Kennedy)
Cyrus, Pilot, Age 65 (1815), born in North Carolina,Head of Household;Cyrus, Isabella, age 40, (1840), Kentucky,Wife
• Cyrus, Betsy Age 11 Daughter
• Cyrus, Isham Age 10 Son
• Cyrus, Logan Age 08 Son
• Kennedy, Ann Age 25 Step Daughter
• Kennedy, Harriet Age 25 Step Daughter
Kennedy, Lillie Age 09 Step-Grand Daughter
Kennedy, Anderson Age 06 Step-Grandson
Kennedy, Ada Age 05 Step-Grand Daughter
Kennedy, Monroe Age 03 Step-Granddaughter
Kennedy, Malinda Age 05 Step-Granddaughter
Kennedys became Canadas and Canadas became Canadys.
Betsy Cyrus. I couldn’t find any more information about Betsy. I don’t know if she survived to adulthood or if she made the move to Arkansas.
Isham Cyrus aka Henry S. Syrus
In 1900 Isom, 31, born June 1867 in Tennessee and his wife Atsie, age 22, born November 1872, lived in Bentley Township, Conway County, Arkansas. This census shows both that both of Isham’s parents were born in Kentucky. Elsie was born in Mississippi and both her parents were born in North Carolina. Their two children in 1900 were:
Lena, born December 1894, age 5
Hattie, born March 1900, age 3 months.
In 1910 Isham (Isom) lived in Menifee, Conway County, Arkansas. He was listed as the 47 year old head of the household who was born in Tennessee. His parents’ were born in Kentucky according to this census. His wife Atsie is 35 years old and her place of birth is listed as Mississippi. Her father was born in North Carolina and her mother was born in Mississippi. Isham and Atsie Cyrus’ children, all born in Arkansas were:
• Lena, daughter, Age 15, Hattie, daughter, Age 10, Sczittia, son, Age 08; Fred, son, Age 07; Flora, daughter, age 2 Leb, Age 04, Annie L., 03 Months..
In 1920 (January 1920) Henry S. Syrus (Not Isham, born in Tennessee, parents born in Kentucky lived in Sequoyah County, Sadie Township, Oklahoma in District 163. Sheet 8A information. The household was enumerated as follows:
• H.S. Cyrus, age 52. head, born in Tennessee. Parents born in Kentucky. Farmer.:Atsie Syrus, age 40, wife, born in Mississippi. Parents born in Mississippi.;Zet (Zettie), Fred, Annie, Boy (not named), son,
In 1930 I found Henry S. Syrus (not Isham) born in Tennessee, parents born in Kentucky, living in Muskogee County, Oklahoma, Agency Township, District 2. The first name is different and of course there are the usual discrepancies in ages but I’m sure this is the same family. I have no idea how Isham became Henry or why. Members of his household in 1930 are:
• Atsie, his wife, age 50, born in Mississippi. Both her parent were born in Mississippi.; Lena, his daughter, age 32, born in Arkansas.; Hattie, his daughter, age 26, born in Arkansas; Charles Yokley, his grandson, age 9, born in Arkansas; Zettie, his son, age 25 born in Arkansas; Lizzie Cyrus, age 19, shown as a daughter-in-law (Probably Zettie’s wife); William Cyrus, his grandson, age 1-1/2, born in Oklahoma; Alan, his grandson, age 15, born in Arkansas.; Clinton Cyrus, age 8, his grandson, born in Arkansas; Frederick Bush, his grandson, age 6, born in Arkansas; Charles Cato, his nephew, age 17, born in Arkansas. Father born in South Carolina
Logan Cyrus.: Logan Cyrus married my grandmother Mattie A. Perry on December 25 1894 in Morrilton, Arkansas. Their marriage license is listed as “Syrus” but Mattie and her children used the “Cyrus” Their two surviving children were Lola Harriet and James Roy Cyrus. Lola was born April 21, 1895 in Conway County, Arkansas. Lola married William (Bub) Lafayette from South Carolina. . Thei four children were: Lloyd, Charles, Willie F. Lafayette, and one living descendant –a daughter. There are great-grands and great-great grandchildren.
Lola said that some of the Canadys moved to Bartlesville, Oklahoma. I know that Logan lived and died in St. Louis after he and my grandmother divorced.
Any information appreciated.