AfriGeneas Schools, Organizations, Churches and Institutions Forum
Surry Co. VA Negro Sunday Schools
The following list is taken from the book The History of Negro Sunday Schools in Surry County, VA preface by Rev. W. Herbert George (Rev. George is also the author of Negro Churches in Surry Co. but have not located that book yet). Although I do not know the publishing date of this book, I believe it was sometime after 1964. Number of the Schools started in the 1860 time frame.
In the preface Rev. George writes, "Robert Raikes popularized the Sunday School in Glouster England in the 1780's, it was for the purpose of keeping the children out of the streets, and out of mischief, and from being killed by transportation..the movement in this country began really about 1785..the results of this experiment ..has much to do in directing the lives of older people as well as teenagers and smaller children.
Each entry has detailed information, if known on the founding of the school and the names of church officials.
2. Clarke's Memorial Baptist - organized in the home of Preston Bolding in Feb. 1907. The land for the church and school were given by a Mr. Clarke and the church and school were named for him. List of Pastors given and School Superintendents.
3. Cuffies Chapel A.M.E. Zion began in the home of Brother Stirling Love in Dendron, Va. 1899. List of Pastors and Superintendents, Elders, and Secretary given.
4. Cypress Baptist - church and school organized in the home of Mrs. Easter Eley in the fall of 1866. Extensive lists of those who served as Superintendents and Secretaries.
5. (Dendron) First Baptist Sunday School, Dendron - began in 1900 in the home of Deacon Willis Roberts, in 1901 moved to the home of Robert Johnson, then to home of Joseph Byrd.
6. Ferguson's Grove Baptist Church - 1890 Rev. James Tynes, better known as "Gentlemen Jim Tynes"..built a bush arbor when the congregation grew large they built a church.
7. Golden Hill Baptist 1900
Messages In This Thread