AfriGeneas Schools, Organizations, Churches and Institutions Forum
Argenda Colored School Campbell Co. VA
Campbell County VA Historical Society
Vol. 19, No. 2
Following is an excerpt from an article entitled The Argenda Schools of Lynch Station.
"In 18686, D.R. and Ann Arnold sold 2 acres to the Otter River School trustees for the purpose of building a school for the black children in the district. A school was built which became known as the ARgenda Colored School and operated until the county school consolidation of the 1920's...The school was closed and became a rented dwelling for several years before it burned in the early 1940s...in 1947 Pete Austin purchased the property and he and his wife Minnie deeded the property to the Shiloh Baptist Church trustees who built a church and established a cemetary, which now occupies this site at the intersection of Rte 711 and 682."