Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at 120x60

AfriGeneas Military Research Forum

Re: Substituted to serve or forced to enlist


If your ancestor served as a body servant and he lived long enough to apply for a pension, there might be a pension application for him. Mississippi started its pension program about 1888 which included giving former body servants pensions if they were disable, later to include those poor and in need. Check with other former states of the Confederacy to see when their pension programs began.

If you have not done so, check to see which unit the enslaver's son served to confirm the story that he did serve. Learn as much as you can about the unit. See if any of the letters the men from this unit wrote back home survived. Occasionally, a body servant is mentioned in the letters. These letters can be found in special collections or personal papers at local archives or libraries.

The link below shows what information can be found on the application of a body servant.

All the best with your research.

"Remembering Their Names"

Messages In This Thread

Substituted to serve or forced to enlist
Re: Substituted to serve or forced to enlist
Re: Substituted to serve or forced to enlist

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy