Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at 120x60

AfriGeneas Military Research Forum

Re: Bennie can you help with this?


Hopefully, good news!

Since your ancestor was born in 1854 he probably enlisted around 1872 or later. If he served for 12 years and was discharged after 1885, his records should be on file at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. See statement below posted on the Naval Historical Center's website -

In the meantime I will seek the location of the U.S.S. Michigan/Wolverine muster rolls.



[The National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100 has custody of the official individual personnel records of Navy commissioned officers separated after 1902 and Navy enlisted personnel separated after 1885. These records include the full name of the serviceman, next of kin, date of enlistment, date retired, units with which he served, and any medals and awards to which the veteran was entitled, as well as other details. Information from these records is available to the veteran, or if deceased, to the next of kin. Contrary to rumors, the 1973 fire did not destroy Navy or Marine Corps records.

Through the Freedom of Information Act, the public has access to certain military service information without the authorization of the veteran, or the next-of-kin of deceased veterans. Examples of information which may be available from official military personnel files without an unwarranted invasion of privacy include: name, service number, rank, dates of service, awards and decorations and place of entrance and separation. If the veteran is deceased the following may also be available: place of birth, date and geographical location of death and place of burial. A separate request should be sent for each veteran. If signed by the next of kin, the relationship to the veteran must be specified and proof of death presented. In order to get information on an individual's naval career, please fill out the Standard Form (SF) 180 available in pdf format and follow the instructions. If the individual's service number is unknown, it can usually be located by specifying the individual's name, his command, and when he served in a letter to the Modern Military Branch, National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road College Park, MD 20740. That office can usually discern the service number from the command's muster rolls or the list of officers in the deck log of a ship, if the individual served between 1941 and the 1970.]

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy