[Documents 1 to 15 of 66]
Thurgood Marshall Center for Service and Heritage/12th Street YMCA Site
The 12th Street YMCA was built to house the nation's first black Young Men's Christian Association.
Syphax Family Residence Site
The Syphax family, which claimed direct descent from Martha Custis Washington's grandson George Washington Parke Custis, was for generations a prominent and influential local family.
Decatur House/Slave Quarters
This historic house museum, completed in 1818 for white naval hero Stephen Decatur and his wife Susan, contains one of Washington's few remaining slave quarters.
Nichols Avenue Elementary School/Old Birney School Site
James G. Birney Elementary School (1889) was the city's first public school for blacks in Hillsdale.
Fort Stevens was built in 1861 on land partially owned by Elizabeth Proctor Thomas, a free woman of color and a farmer.
Alfred Pope and Hannah Cole Pope Residence
Alfred Pope and Hannah Cole Pope were a prominent Georgetown couple, active in public affairs and real estate.
Second Baptist Church
Second Baptist Church is one of the oldest African American congregations in Washington, organized in 1848 by former members of the Nineteenth Street Baptist Church.
Tour of Duty: Barracks Row Heritage Trail
Follow the signs on this self-guided Cultural Tourism DC Neighborhood Heritage Trail to learn more about Capitol Hill.
River Farms to Urban Towers: Southwest Heritage Trail
Follow the signs on this self-guided Cultural Tourism DC Neighborhood Heritage Trail to learn more about the Southwest neighborhood.
Civil War to Civil Rights: Downtown Heritage Trail
Follow the signs on this self-guided Cultural Tourism DC Neighborhood Heritage Trail to learn more about Downtown.
John H. Paynter Residence
John H. Paynter wrote Fugitives of the Pearl (1930), a popular history of the largest known mass escape attempt of enslaved people in the United States.
United States Capitol
Construction of the U.S. Capitol began in 1793, and from that time, African American women and men worked as skilled and unskilled laborers on the building, and eventually as domestic servants and professional staff in the building.
Stevens Elementary School
The Stevens Elementary School was built in 1868 as one of the first publicly funded schools for black children. In 2008 when it closed it was the city's oldest school in continuous operation.
John A. Moss Residence Site
John A. Moss was a well-known lawyer and a civic leader in Anacostia who was born into slavery but escaped from a slave dealer to the Union lines as a young boy.
Military Road School
The Military Road School opened in 1864 near this site in a wood frame former Fort Stevens barracks.