AfriGeneas Free Persons of Color Forum
Old Newpaper Articles....A Reno Ancestor
Some articles found in Medina County, Ohio newspapers and Coutny History books regarding the life and some activites of a Reno ancestor. (pronounced as Reyno, Raino)
Update on Joseph Reno.......Musings from the Medina County Gazette.
1) 22 May 1855 "Alex McClure has purchased the lot on which the barbershop of Joseph Rena (sp) stands, and intends to erect a new building on the site".
I don't know if the lot was owned and/or purchased from Joseph Reno.
2) An abstract from the 1881 Baskin- Batty edition of HISTORY OF MEDINA COUNTY, page 248. Time period ca 1858.
" At another time a larceny had been committed in Medina, and Joseph RENO, a colored man, had ferreted out the thief and arrested him, and fearing that he might not be allowed to testify on account of his color, so induced the criminal to confess in the presence of a white witness as to effect his conviction.
3) 1870........."At the election in the village this last Monday, Joseph Reno, colored, (everybody knows "Joe") cast his first vote. Sixty years old and a tax-payer for many years, he comes into the exercise of a right which all now are bound to respect. It is needless to say that Joseph voted the straight Republican ticket"
4) 1872........"Following upon the heels of the Chatham murder we have to report another attempt to take human life, this time in Medina. On Thursday evening June 25, Joseph Reno, a colored man known far and wide as the Attache of the American House, was shot by Erastus Hitchock, a lad about 19 years of age. The cause in the affair was an attempt by Joe to quiet two boys who were firing a pistol in the neighborhood of his home, thereby disturbing a sick child. He requested them to stop which they refused to do. He had in his hand a broom handle used as a cane with which he struck young Hitchcock. At this, Hitchcock, who afterwards said the blow did not hurt him, only made him mad, fires on Joe, but missed. He fired again, and Joe fell. After lingering for a few days he died. During his sickness he was the recipient of the best care and kindest attention of Mr. and Mrs. Warren at the American House, the most comfortable quarters being provided for him. The funeral was largely attended."
5) 1875....."Erastus Hitchcock, who was sentenced to the Penitentiary for six years for shooting Joe Reno, was pardoned last week."
Joseph RENO was a son of Francis & Rachel Magee RENO and a brother-in-law and brother to Lewis & Susan ADAMS. He was born in Champaign County, OH ca 1812 and migrated to Medina County, OH following his trade as a barber.....Rachel Magee RENO died in the home of her son, Joseph, at Medina, OH on 22 May 1864. At the time of her death, two other sons survived, Abram & Lewis, both were residing in Saginaw, MI.
Rachel, my 4th great-grandmother and her husband, Francis "Frank" Reno, had 16 children. Susan, my 3rd great-grandmother was born in Canada abt 1795-1800, The others were all born in Champaign County, Ohio between 1805 & 1828 and by the 1850 Census most of her children had married and migrated to Iowa, Michigan and other areas of Ohio. Lewis and Susan Adams are my 3rd great-grandparents. I'm in the process of tracking the siblings of Susan Adams.
Messages In This Thread