Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at 120x60

African American DNA Research Forum

Re: Who should I test?
In Response To: Who should I test? ()

>Hello. I would like to know what test to do for two families sharing
>the same surname in a small southern town, but supposedly not

A male from each family (more than one per family is better)would need to get the Y-chromosome test. But before doing that, have you done any research on these families?

>Also I'm trying to find out how some Henry's are cousins to me,but
>nobody knows how?Plus another scenario is a lady stated to me that
>our family lines were related without offering any proof.What should
>I do there?

Research, research, research. That was one of my reasons for starting genealogy ďHow am I kin to Cousin Noble? Cousin Esther? Those other folks with the same surname?Ē Perhaps back a few generations someone surnamed HENRY married someone in your family. That happened with my two aunts by marriage. They did not know how they were kin to the HEARNs. Well, it was from their grandparents' marriage. Their grandmother was a HEARN, but they didn't know that.

>Also my paternal grandfather had a different mother than
>hisiblings,so is it logical to trace both his natural and step-mom

That is a choice you will have to make. Your grandfatherís mother is your ancestor, while his step-mother is the ancestor of your cousins. You may want to research both lines. My paternal grandparents each had children by three spouses; the 3rd marriage for both produced my father who is the youngest of the whole lot. But I am researching all of the spouses since their children are my aunts and uncles.

>I know very little about my grandfather birth mom. Both of my parents
>are still living so if I'm clear on this DNA then I could use my
>father DNA to help me follow 16 great great grandparents lines that
>his DNA would be reflective in 8 of those 16?

Unfortunately, no. The DNA testing of your parents allows you to trace the lineage of only 2 people in each generation of your fatherís ancestors and only 1 person in each generation of your motherís ancestors.

Testing your father: (1) the Y-chromosome test follows only his fatherís fatherís fatherís father's etc., etc. line and (2) mtDNA follows only his motherís motherís motherís motherís etc., etc. line. That will give you the lineage of two great-parents, one male and one female, but not a couple.

Testing your mother: her mtDNA follows only her motherís motherís motherís motherís etc., etc. line, and can give you the lineage of only one greatgrandmother. In order to trace her father's line, you'd need to test a brother of hers, or the son of her brother, assuming you mother and her brother have the same father.

Here's where you need to look at cousins. Depending on who is living, you may want to test your grandfather's sister, for example, or her daughter. For example, my parents are deceased, so I am testing my father's sister's daughter's daughter in order to get the lineage of my father's mother.


18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy