Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at 120x60

AfriGeneas Brick Wall Forum

Re: Unable to document Civil War service

It is possible that Uriah did not enlist under the name that you find him with in 1870 and appears on his Service Record, that happened quite frequently with black soldiers in the USCT.

You should attempt to see if he applied for a pension..Pension records are cross referenced with the names used on the Service Records, but Service records and only show the names that they enlisted under.

A friend of mine could not locate a Service Record for an ancestor, but did find a Pension file. He enlisted under the surname of his last owner, whether that was his choice or the officer's at the time of enlistment is not clear, but following emancipation the family was reunited and took the surname of the original owner of the family. His pension file came back with both names, one as an alias. He still only appears in the database on line in the name he enlisted under.

The original Pension Act of 1862 provided for soldiers disabled and survivors of the Union dead, widows, orphans or other dependent family members, it was expanded in 1890 when the disability requirement was dropped..after 1890 any veteran who was not in perfect health was eligible for at least a partial disability rating.

The difference in names would mean that he would have to provide detailed information in depositions,from himself and others..there are numerous examples of in the new book Voices of Emancipation, which talks about Pension Records.

Even if he did not apply it is possible that his wife did as an dependent after his death, or could have applied after the death of her first husband for herself and her children.


18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy