AfriGeneas Brick Wall Forum
Silas and Benjamin West, Sampson Co., NC
1. I am trying to find the parents of my g grandfather, Silas West b. abt. 1832, NC, who died February 4, 1904, Westbrook Township, Sampson Co, NC. Silas m. Winifred "Winnie" Barefoot, b. abt. 1845, Meadow Township, Johnston Co. N. My g uncle, Benjamin m. Jinnett (Jennie) UKN., NC.
2. It is believed that Lloyd West b. 1799 was the slaveowner and father of Silas West. I have looked through the 1850 and 1860 Slave Schedules and found that Lloyd owned about 5 or 6 slaves. Silas being Mulatto, we think was Silas and he fits the age range.
3. We have taken part in the WEST DNA PROJECT. We matched 12 markers out of 12, so they really did not have to do the other 13 markers, but because we had paid for 25 they continued. We matched 25 markers out of 25 when the test was completed and found 5 new sets of cousins (all White). Some of us that matched have been trying to figure this one out among ourselves and have not proven anything yet.
4. One of my cousins found a draft registration 1917-1918 form on Ancestrty.com for Ballard West, son of Benjamin West residing in Nash Co., NC working at a saw mill and a boarder. He put on the form his next of kin was Silas West, Dunn, NC. (that is my hometown)
5. We matched James West, b. 1725, NC, son Willis West, b. 1755, NC and James West b. 1798, SC, Edwin Jackson West, b. 1836, LA, Johnie West b. 1870, LA/MS.
6. Some of my ancestors were buried in the Kirby West Col'd Cemetery in Westbrook Township. I found some death certificates at the courthouse to prove it. Kirby West was well know in that area, he was the g grandson of Willis West, grandson of Ransom West.
7. We would like to know what should we do next to find the connection to my g grandfather, Silas West to the slaveowner, Lloyd West.
Thanks very much.
Messages In This Thread