AfriGeneas Adoption Forum
Waiting to be adopted? Who are they?
Who are the children waiting to be adopted?
* 117,000 children in foster care are waiting to be adopted.
* Age of Waiting Children When Removed From Parents/Caregivers - 29% were less than a year old, 42% were 1-5 years, 23% were 6-10 years, 6% were 11-15 years, and less than 1% were 16-18 years old when they were removed from their parents or caregivers.
* Age of Waiting Children on March 31, 1999 - 2% were less than one year old, 35% were 1-5 years, 37% were 6-10 years, 23% were 11-15 years, and 3% were 16-18 years old.
* Gender of children waiting to be adopted - 52% are male, while 48% are female.
* Race/Ethnicity - Approximately 64% of children waiting in foster care are of minority background; 32% are White. 51% of all foster children waiting for adoption are Black, 11% are Hispanic, 1% are American Indian, 1% are Asian/Pacific Islander, and 5% are unknown/unable to determine. [.b]