Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-10-18

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:00:47
End: 13:33:51
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vkn

3rdthawkins: hello Spivey

Spivey: Hi 3rdthawkins!

3rdthawkins: you're here bright and early

Spivey: Thanks for your help last night. I really appreciated it.

3rdthawkins: yw

Spivey: I still have my doubts, though. LOL. I wish I could get that kind of help here 3rdthawkins. We used to be able to get help in the Tuesday Night chat sessions. Hi daviss!

3rdthawkins: I know Spivey, hello daviss

daviss: hello there you two! How's it going?

3rdthawkins: going good daviss

daviss: good to hear

Spivey: I have no comment. I am screwing up so royally, I am just mentally putting everything on hold and operating like a robot. I don't want to think much at this point.

daviss: hmmm Spivey does that mean your entire thought process or a faction or two?

Spivey: Entire process for right now daviss.

alt: hello daviss,3rdthawkins, & Spivey how y'all today?

3rdthawkins: hey alt, How did Ohio State do? :}

Spivey: Fine alt, how about yourself?

daviss: don't let it get you down Spivey

3rdthawkins: doing good alt :p

alt: I think they (OSU) lost to Wisconsin 3rdthawkins

daviss: alt, I am saving up a few coins to get my brothers DNA upgraded

3rdthawkins: yep, good game, huh, well, for Wisconsin

daviss: more markers

alt: oaky daviss, did he test with FTDNA?

3rdthawkins: wow, you can update your DNA :p :}

daviss: no with Ancestry but may move his over to FTDNA

Spivey: Hi Selma!

daviss: I should have gone there at first lol

Selma: Good Monday afternoon everyone...

daviss: hello Selma!

alt: yep 3rdthawkins, depends onhow many markers you started with and how deep youwant to get into the DNA process.

Selma: Thanks for the photo daviss..

alt: Hello Selma

3rdthawkins: ok alt

daviss: you are very welcome Selma! :o his plus all the men I had done started with 33 33 markers

alt: that's ususally enough to get a 'good feel' for matches daviss ... they say anything beyond 37 is just a 'refinement'.

daviss: oh really!

alt: yep .. and then you get into more specific testing within the DNA process on those markers.

daviss: when I was rich I sent in two brothers, my cousin, my grandson and my x hubby lol

alt: good stuff, but it is really a matter of how $$$$ you might want to invest for 'more recent' matches that's a nice mixture... could confirm matches to several lines daviss

daviss: thats what I was hoping but as I said earlier, I wish I had started with FTDNA. It seems like they are further along than Ancestry

alt: oh yes daviss, much further, DNA that's their business while ancestry is 'nibbling' around the edges of so many things.

daviss: Oh I did get one female cousin on ftdna

alt: okay daviss,

daviss: that would be my paternal 1st cousin. my fathers sister kid Did you all get anything good as far as your research this week-end or was it all sports for you all?

alt: which would give you your maternal lines for your father's DNA, right?

daviss: right! alt

alt: yep, I'm finding a need to make a trip to the Ohio Historical Society in Columbus... they have microfilm on AA newsppaers I'm interested in (Cleveland Gazette) in particular and also a Book on Wagon Train Lists to California in the 1850-1870's.

daviss: Are you looking for Reno in the book alt or Adams

alt: no, my 2nd great-grandfather who I've located in Sacramento in 1861 City Directories and his 1871 obit in Sacramento. Trying to determine how he got to CA aside from oral histories. William Adams

daviss: I wish you much success on finding him in those pages alt!

alt: http://tinyurl.com/2449k8a

daviss: what about you 3rd and Spivey, anything good?

alt: h record for Wm. Adams death record

daviss: It would be great if you got a pic of that church alt

Spivey: The good thing, Davis, is that I'm now in correction mode. Each time I saved my PAF file, it would save to a different directory. I just discovered that this morning. So, I downloaded a GEDCOM from Ancestry and am starting from there in PAF. Good thing I updated both databases at the same time.

alt: I have a photo of the church somewhere daviss .. and his burial site in Sacramento.. he was re-interred in a 'mass grave' when they built a school where the orignal cemetery was located.

Spivey: Sorry, I meant to address that comment to daviss. Must be thinking of my ex whose name is David. LOL.

daviss: lol @ spivey mass grave, ouch!!

alt: yep, estimated that 5,000 folks are in this 'mass grave' http://tinyurl.com/33nsy7o

3rdthawkins: sorry daviss, got some good info from a family member I got in contact with a couple weeks ago. learned that my grandmother was living with my great grandmother during the WWII and was raised by her

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Spivey: Hi AYWalton!

3rdthawkins: hello AY

daviss: how did you discover that spivey. Is that normal

alt: daviss, photos are from ET's friend in Sacramento.

AYWalton: Hello 3rd, alt, daviss, Ms. Selma, Spivey

alt: Hello AYWalton, how you?

3rdthawkins: how is E.T. doing alt? hello vkn

alt: Hear from him occasionally

daviss: that is some good news 3rd

vkn: Good afternoon each and all

3rdthawkins: of course, my great grandmother that raised her is actually her aunt by marriage

daviss: hello AYWalton and vkn!

Spivey: This has been going on since I got my new computer in May daviss. When the files were transferred, the PAF file ended up out of the FamilySearch database. So, each time I saved, I was saving to one or the other, PAF or FamilySearch.

3rdthawkins: I guess that's how and when my grandparents "met"

alt: ello vkn.. thanks (publicly) for your help with an AAGGMV chat room (((((vkn))))) LOL

AYWalton: how's it going, daviss?

vkn: oo oo alt lol

AYWalton: you Ohio folks gonna have meetings, alt?

alt: thinking about it AYWalton

daviss: 75 degrees great AYWalton and I went to the State Fair and got turkey legs lol

AYWalton: sounds nice, daviss.

daviss: of course I took a pain pill first before I did all that walking lol lol

alt: hmmmm, that's interesting Spivey, wonder ??????

vkn: awwww daviss lol

Spivey: It was my doing, alt. Not paying attention. My old computer automatically went right to the FamilySearch folder to save. This one did not, perhaps because of the two choices. So, I was doing the selecting.

daviss: I can see your frustration then Spivey

alt: what a grandmother won't do, huh daviss? LOL

daviss: yep alt for sure

Seventies Soulchild: Hello all!

Spivey: Hi Seventies Soulchild!

daviss: hi seventies soulchild

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt, 3rd, AYWalton, daviss, Selma Spivey & vkn I was supposed to go to the library on lunch today, but my co-worker's dad had heart failure over the weekend... :(

Spivey: Yep, daviss. Carelessness has been a bane to me in this aspect. I am usually much better at paying attention to details like that. I think so much information was coming at me in so short a period of time, I wasn't giving my entries the attention they needed.

vkn: oh dear how is he doing seventies

Selma: Afternoon AY, vkn and seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know yet, she called and lft a msg

vkn: to u 2 selma

Seventies Soulchild: But her dad is 91 yrs old.

alt: wb Selma

vkn: ahhh long life

Seventies Soulchild: yep

Selma: Folks wait to call me at the last minute for info...LOL

alt: ain't that the way Selma LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I ended up going to the bookstore to get a card for her.

AYWalton: ok back. Howdy Ms. Selma! hello SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: alt and I had a good conversation about genealogical resources on Sunday.

alt: shhhh, don't tell'em Seventies Soulchild ;)

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Selma: Too late alt..she let the cat outta the bag

Seventies Soulchild: google books is definitely a good search tool

3rdthawkins: yeah, it can be if not to find actual names on your ancestors, it is to find good information on places and people "related" to them

alt: Selma, don't you send me any more URL's for awhile.. that Chancery Record Index for VA has me 'bug-eyed' there are so many surnames in so many counties, whew LOL

daviss: I have heard where it has helped many folks find info

Seventies Soulchild: One of the issues I'd been having is that there seemed to be a lack of resources for county records in the counties I am researching in MS

Selma: They are still digitizing alt...you will be more than bug-eyed before it is over

3rdthawkins: there are a few books on and mentioning my grandfather's HS he attended i nthe lat 30s and early 40s, Immaculate Conception School in Charleston

Seventies Soulchild: Yet I found 4 colleges that have major collections on this one county.

alt: hehehehe @ Selma 8)

daviss: same here seventies

3rdthawkins: trying to find a photo of him

Selma: Does it mean that you just have to go there to access this material seventies..or have someone check

3rdthawkins: the College he went to did not have any photos of him, and his job he worked in does not have him listed in their directories

vkn: In my legacy genealogy group had a speaker today who identified self Puerto Rican-Dominican who was most interesting and who [culturally] uses four surnames. Also said people [of Puerto Rican descent] born in New York are called Nuerican. Interesting presentation.

Seventies Soulchild: I can order copies of information like I did with the LSU records. So that makes it easier and some of the records are not at the state archives. They are mainly private records.

alt: that's what is becoming so useful... the collections housed in colleges & universites are now being digitized along with 'personla papers'.

Selma: That is the pretty much how it is with the colleges and universities here

Seventies Soulchild: vkn you should've asked him what a afroboriqua is....

alt: yes vkn, very intersting...

Selma: Nuerican...haven't heard that term before.

vkn: I will do a followup seventies lol

Seventies Soulchild: my co-worker is afroboriqua...

Selma: where is he/she from

alt: which means ? Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: And its NewYorican... lol

vkn: Define that seventies

3rdthawkins: School Records are a good source

Seventies Soulchild: Most PRs also identify as boriqua

vkn: ahh ok

Seventies Soulchild: afroboriqua is a black PR

alt: okay thanks

3rdthawkins: really Seventies?

vkn: thanx

3rdthawkins: hmmm

Seventies Soulchild: yes of course... we run this hemisphere... lol

3rdthawkins: I know someone who's dad is part black part PR and lives in NY actually he lives in Delaware

alt: My son's 'significant other' is Domincan

Selma: Like I like to remind folks...all those folks in those islands didn't get there on a Carnaval Cruise..singing Day-O

Seventies Soulchild: I'm talking about afroboriquas who are black from PR Like Schomberg

vkn: lol lol lol selma

AYWalton: I have heard NewYorican referred to several times.

alt: naw Selma LOL

AYWalton: meaning New York based, Puerto Rican.

Seventies Soulchild: lol Selma. Yes. The life of Marcus Garvey illustrates that perfectly.

AYWalton: SoulChile does Afroboriqua refer to those who were born in PR, but who now live in New York?

Selma: The islands and South/Central America got most of the slaves that came to this hemisphere

Seventies Soulchild: that's why you have blacks in Honduras who speak english & patois

AYWalton: that is true.

Seventies Soulchild: not spanish

AYWalton: and they also speak Gariofuna. (spelling?)

alt: and if there can be a 'worse', most of those from the caribbean & south america, their ancestors had it 'worse' than ours here in america... so I've read.

AYWalton: We have a friend of ours who is from Belize (Br. Honduras). She speaks Gariofuna fluently, which interestingly is a mixture of Yoruba and other languages.

Seventies Soulchild: Isn't that what they call themselves Garufina? Let me see if I can located this link about AfroLatinos

vkn: Alt my hearing is that they had it better

AYWalton: Her husband is Yoruba from Nigeria and he can understand a few words of her language and she can understand a few words in Yoruba.

alt: really vkn

AYWalton: Needless to say, they speak English in the household.

Seventies Soulchild: http://www.afrolatinos.tv/ I think that was on here. You've got to click 'say it in english'

alt: AYWalton, our President (AAGGMV) her father is Belize.

AYWalton: is that right?

vkn: Well by better meaning the families were not splintered and customs were continued etc

AYWalton: that's neat! and language was not completely lost.

Seventies Soulchild: yea I didn't know Belize had Caucasian people until I was 22! lol

Selma: It might have evolved into that vkn..but that is not how it started out

alt: okay vkn, I see

AYWalton: 'lol

Seventies Soulchild: And don't forget the Blacks in Colombia who still speak some Angolan Garifunas are the Blue Fields people...

AYWalton: quite interesting, indeed. I have never heard of the Blue Fields people.

vkn: Explain Blue Fields seventies oops seventies is 'out to lunch'

AYWalton: A few links for Blue Fields in Nicaragua: http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90777/90852/7004692.html

vkn: thankee ayw

AYWalton: http://www.amigosdenicaragua.org/bluefields.htm

Seventies Soulchild: yes sorry... had to get something really quickly

alt: seems folks with African roots 'be all ovah da place' LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Yes alt, we run this hemisphere... too bad we don't recognize it!

vkn: lol like kudzu alt

Seventies Soulchild: But I do like that blacks in other countries are standing up for their heritage, culture and human rights!

AYWalton: http://www.compulsivetraveler.tv/videos/1153-Bahia-de-Bluefields-5

Seventies Soulchild: That is truly encouraging.

alt: I wonder how many have ancestors from the 20th century, or even the altter part of the 19th century vs the 16th & 17th & 18th centuries.

Seventies Soulchild: One of my favorite flicks is Quilombo from the Miami Herald: http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part3/racism.html http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part3/racism.html

Selma: Death rate was extremely high in 1500's, 1600's alt

AYWalton: thanks for the links, Soulchile.

Seventies Soulchild: ok here is the video I was looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wrQHm5S504

alt: it seems that after importation of slaves become quasi-illegal and the immigration laws with their quotas came into play there was a greatly diminished influx into America with those of African heritage.

vkn: Selma perhaps you would give us a scheduled presentation at some point on 'seasoning' the enslaved in South America and the Carib I am currently learning LOTS about the migrating connections of France Haiti SC MD and LA

alt: nothing like the former European immigration and the 'forced' immigration of Africans thru slavery

Seventies Soulchild: How did that play out in Latin America? did they ever ban the importation of Africans for slavery? Or did they just end slavery?

Selma: You mean seasoning in Caribbean to send here to mainland British NA

vkn: Yes Selma

Selma: Actually just read an article that said it was not as high as people suppose..LOL..

Seventies Soulchild: lol that is funny Selma. Of course they are going to downplay the numbers. how many were tossed into the ocean? Or are they even counting them?

Selma: No not downplaying the numbers....said slave owners were not waiting for folks to be seasoned...would season them when they got here..

vkn: We would do a moderated session in the room on the left side of the screen Selma and perhaps we could begin the line up for other sessions to be launched about 15 January or there abouts

alt: I can imagine not Selma... the Caribbean 'occupation' was more mainland European than British. right .... the Danes , Dutch, German, French, etc.

Selma: The range for those Slaves who came to British NA..meaning here is anywhere from 400,000 to 800,000..with the rest going to South American and the islands

AYWalton: Howdy Ingrid_Doweary!

3rdthawkins: Hello Ingrid, how is it going?

alt: as was Africa, with Belgians, Italians, Portuguese, etc.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY, Spivey, 3rd, Daviss, Selma, Seventies and Vkn.

Selma: AFternoon Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Still researching 3rd. How's everyone?

Selma: Good

Spivey: Fine Ingrid_Doweary how about yourself?

alt: Tolerable Ingrid_Doweary & you?

vkn: We are treading in South American waters Ingrid

Selma: Only tolerable alt? Anita didn't give you lunch yet?

alt: nope, she's late and I'm angry LOL lOL

Selma: LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm doing the best I can.

Seventies Soulchild: lol watch it alt!

3rdthawkins: ok Ingrid, thx for the directory of my gm, learned that she was working as a clerk in the Dept. of Comm. I guess something else to lookup?

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes 3rd. How about that. Yes indeed more records to research.

Seventies Soulchild: ok I've to go.. work awaits my return. Have a good day all!

Ingrid_Doweary: 3rd, have you seen the street views of the address on Google Maps?

vkn: Alva is standing by to present. Just gotta get those rooms configured. And will need a bit of testing so all willing to test raise ya hand ! witha a !

3rdthawkins: yes Ingrid, I was looking at it last nite

daviss: never ending research I see 3rd

Ingrid_Doweary: !

alt: I'll 'lurk' if that's okay vkn LOL

Spivey: vkn, what are you talking about?

AYWalton: I have to step out, for a few, otherwise I would gladly test the system as well.

vkn: Thanx Ingrid

AYWalton: If I can come back online I will be happy to assist.

Selma: You mean right now vkn

vkn: okies AYW

AYWalton: Take care.

3rdthawkins: I had did a look searching for the house, it was built in 1945, so they could have been either the first or second to live in that house look--a little searching

daviss: when will you do the testing

vkn: No after 6PM say Wednesday

Selma: 6 PM EST

Ingrid_Doweary: After 6p.m. EST, this coming Wednesday?

alt: got it marked on the Calendar vkn , Wednesday 6:00 pm est

Selma: I will be available...just remind me.. LOL I have to run folks..have a great day

vkn: Testing for moderated chat spivey and in "The Learning Center" that is the series of room on the left side yes alt thanx

Spivey: I don't have any rooms on the left hand side of my screen vkn.

daviss: when you first come in spivey

vkn: Look up spivey and shift eyes to the left

daviss: Learning and conference center

3rdthawkins: you guys will really have to work with Spivey 8)

vkn: You will see Learning and Conference Center

Spivey: My eyes have made a complete circuit vkn. Nothing.

daviss: look at the bar spivey in black

Spivey: Okay. It's hidden by the scroll bar. Thanks daviss.

daviss: welcome I am not sure about me vkn but I will try

vkn: okies daviss when is a good day for you

daviss: 3 pm here is kind of pushing it but like I said I will try

Spivey: That very top portion of the chat screen is hidden while I'm in the room daviss.

alt: if anyone is interested in AME research Toots & Lee have passed on some great URL's fro AME subject matter.

daviss: you cant see the extra room now spivey as being open

vkn: I saw that Alt have not taken a swing at it just yet but it sounds mighty good

Ingrid_Doweary: Same here, Alt. Thanks for the heads up.

daviss: when you first log on you will see both sections

alt: Ingrid_Doweary, are you originally from Joliet, IL? wb spivey

vkn: I saw footnote was highlighting the Chicago fire... is it possible that weuns might find some special detail in that history

daviss: did you check it out spivey

alt: Spivey

Spivey: Guess I won't be there vkn. I can't locate the room.

vkn: Maybe room is a misnomer

3rdthawkins: I wish I knew what denomination, if even, my grgrgr gf William Townsend belonged to alt, and how I can research him as a preacher. If he stayed in TX (Panola County) it might have been easy, but he moved to Indian Territory (Creek Nation) what later become Oklahoma (Muskogee). I don't know how to research there. and ……sure won't help

Spivey: Sorry everyone, but I am not finding the location.

vkn: I will send you a graphic spivey and you will say oh pshaw

Ingrid_Doweary: No, Alt. I was born and raised in Chicago.

alt: have you asked for help 3rdthawkins?

Spivey: Okay vkn. Thanks.

alt: okay Ingrid_Doweary, thanks

vkn: 3rdthawkins I would recommend posting to the forum and take it from there

3rdthawkins: ok alt what would be the best Forum?

alt: for me 3rdthawkins, I usually start with Gen/Hist and the discussion wil lead you to the correct Forum from there.

3rdthawkins: ok

alt: If you don't already have an idea of which forum to post to

3rdthawkins: yeah, prob. would be a good idea

Spivey: Have a good day everyone. Time to do more data entering.

vkn: okies me too

Ingrid_Doweary: Take care folks.

alt: Gen/Hist and Surnames seem to be the most active, or read Forums

daviss: later spivey

3rdthawkins: are you getting up and going to Ingrid?

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, the research takes time. Next time folks.

3rdthawkins: ok, have a good day

alt: well y'all, my turn to split... laters.

Ingrid_Doweary: U also.

daviss: ahhh shoot lol

3rdthawkins: well, I'll go to the boards and post

daviss: ok good luck

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy