Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-10-13

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:28
End: 13:27:17
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, khathu, ProfessorDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey

alt: hello 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: hey alt

alt: gonna try something new today "listen" LOL

3rdthawkins: ahh, ok lol hello Spivey

alt: Hello Spivey

Spivey: Hi alt & 3rdthawkins!

daviss: hello 3rd alt and spivey

3rdthawkins: hello daviss

Spivey: Hi daviss!

alt: hello daviss , how are things in 'Zona?

daviss: everything here is ok alt. waiting on folks to get excited about voting next month :?

3rdthawkins: just heard of a bombing there at a plant or package found

alt: do you have an early voting period in AZ?

daviss: I did get a phone call from one lady that cares less about voting wanting me to help her with the propositions lol yes we do alt I was glad to hear her say that lol

alt: y'all have some big 'props' in AZ this voting cycle?

daviss: yes 3rd I did hear that.. the PaloVerde Power plant has been evacuated yes that 1070 for one. waiting to hear about those lawsuits filed though

AYWalton: good afternoon, all.

daviss: hello AYWalton!

Spivey: Hi AYWalton!

AYWalton: howdy daviss, alt, 3rd, Spivey. I hope you are all well.

alt: hello AYWalton

Spivey: Yes AYWalton and you?

alt: doing well AYWalton & you?

AYWalton: doing fine, thanks.

daviss: How many of you all stayed awake last night watching the rescues?

Spivey: :) Seems like none of us did daviss or we're just not talking.

3rdthawkins: hello AY

daviss: so spivey what does that smile mean?

AYWalton: I have been watching them live today, daviss.

Spivey: I didn't watch it at all daviss.

AYWalton: they are amazing.

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon all.

3rdthawkins: well, not to watch the rescue daviss, but I am watching it now, they are on 17 now

AYWalton: still have it live on my computer.

daviss: hello seventies

Spivey: Hi Seventies Soulchild!

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

AYWalton: hello there, SoulChile!

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

daviss: I was up until the 12th last night any woke up to see the 15th

Seventies Soulchild: hi 3rd, AYWalton, daviss, Spivey (I included you with AYWalton's name Mr. Alt) lol

daviss: thats good company seventies lol

AYWalton: aw shucks :)

alt: yep Seventies Soulchild, whenever those letters appear next to each other I get a beep .

daviss: beep beep

3rdthawkins: you could ALTer your name hehe :}

Seventies Soulchild: I know... lol

Spivey: :)

alt: oh no 3rdthawkins LOL

daviss: yes third I see they are on 17. I have been glued

AYWalton: and we would not want the beeps to halt, now would we?

daviss: for sure aywalton

Seventies Soulchild: Hey I finally opened up a facebook page for all my surnames to look up living descendants of my family surnames.

3rdthawkins: hello Pro Dru

AYWalton: ProfessorDru is in da house!

Spivey: Hi ProfessorDru!

AYWalton: that is neat, SoulChile. I hope you get some family members to join it.

ProfessorDru: howdy gang

daviss: hello ProDru!

alt: hello ProfessorDru

Seventies Soulchild: Yes right off the block Hi ProfessorDru

alt: good luck with the FB Page Seventies Soulchild

daviss: good for you seventies, I hope it works well

AYWalton: getting ready for Atlanta ProfessorDru?

Seventies Soulchild: Its pretty much an open page so anyone can see it and join it.

AYWalton: greetings, khathu!

Seventies Soulchild: hi khathu

AYWalton: how are you this afternoon?

khathu: Hello everyone excited!

daviss: Is there another Atlanta Conference?

Spivey: Hi khathu!

ProfessorDru: Khathu, I missed meeting you at the AAHGS conference.

daviss: hi khathu

alt: ProfessorDru, is there a link that gives a description of the 'how-to's of your presentation?

daviss: spill khathu!

ProfessorDru: There's one next month, Vicky, Nov. 12-13

khathu: I peeked in while you were conducting your session

alt: hello khathu

khathu: my excitement is over something silly - the Chancellor of DC Public Schools has resigned

ProfessorDru: oh you did, Khatu--you should have interrupted.

AYWalton: so was she not well liked khathu? I keep reading mixed things about her.

Seventies Soulchild: YAY! I figured that was going to happen khathu.

alt: now to just hear from the SRT, huh khathu?

daviss: can you email me the info Professor Dru . Mabe I can get one of my new found cousins to come

3rdthawkins: really Khathu? hmm

khathu: Not by low-income, working class, and low middle income parents

daviss: I saw that on CNN this morning Khathu

AYWalton: one of your Atlanta cousins, daviss? what was the concern with her, khathu?

daviss: yes AYWalton

AYWalton: are they interested in family history, now that you have inspired them, daviss?

khathu: she was elitist and catered to the needs and concerns of affluent majority white parents

AYWalton: is that right?

3rdthawkins: my grandparents would have loved her

daviss: lol AYWalton, mabe this will be a test

AYWalton: that's interesting. How did they come out in terms of her educational policies, khathu?

khathu: i am not clear on your question

AYWalton: sorry I did not word that well.

Seventies Soulchild: brb working through 'lunch' lol

daviss: The person who was under her Khathu is taking her place so will things change?

AYWalton: How did her elitism show up in what she was doing on her job? Did she have certain policies that had gotten people upset?

ProfessorDru: alt, this is all I posted so far. Keep checking back. http://professordru.blogspot.com/p/voice-technology.html

khathu: AYWalton - she would have private meeting with the affluent parents at dinner parties and meet with the other parents at the school. However, her decision were based on the needs and concerns addressed at the private meetings

AYWalton: whoa ProfessorDru has a brand new bag!!!

ProfessorDru: vicky, www.familyhistoryexpo.com

AYWalton: love the new blog!

alt: bookmarked it ProfessorDru.. the tech blog.. thanks

ProfessorDru: what Angela, the Professor Dru blog--if so this was my first blog before the Find Your Folks one.

daviss: thanks Dru

alt: putting 'voice' to documents sounds very intriguing ProfessorDru

khathu: Overall she was not qualified for the job despite all the media attention she gained

AYWalton: I did not know that, Dru.

Spivey: AYWalton! I was at an Internet genealogy chat yesterday on PodCasts and you and one other person were mentioned for yours that are on the IPod broadcast system. Congratulations!

3rdthawkins: was she black or white?

daviss: neither 3rd

3rdthawkins: hmm, interesting

daviss: lol

ProfessorDru: I changed the look and added some pages.

AYWalton: that is nice to know Spivey. Thanks.

khathu: daviss - Kaya Henderson's style is different from Rhee both they share the same philosophy

daviss: I see

khathu: who 3rd?

Spivey: You're welcome AYWalton. I just had to let you know so that you're aware folks are out there looking.

3rdthawkins: the lady you were talking about, but daviss answered it

AYWalton: that is good to know, Spivey.

ProfessorDru: Looking forward to meeting vkn next month while I'm in Atlanta.

AYWalton: yes, that will be photo opp.

ProfessorDru: Hopefully Selma will go--i don't she has every met vkn.

alt: does anyone do the GenealogyWise Chats?

ProfessorDru: I don't, alt.

Seventies Soulchild: Can we get BJ to upload some more of those Afrigeneas 'connection' photos on facebook? that would be great!

ProfessorDru: Angela, check your IM

daviss: I dont alt

ProfessorDru: yes, that would be great soulchile

AYWalton: just did

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

ProfessorDru: Selma in da house!!!!!!!!

daviss: I started once or twice but usually to late when I come in

Seventies Soulchild: I know she is superbusy

alt: hello Selma

Spivey: Hi Selma!

Selma: Good Wednesday afternoon everyone

3rdthawkins: my fingers wants to give your name a different and new spelling every time I try to type it

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

AYWalton: Greetings Ms. Selma!!!

khathu: Hello Selma

daviss: Hello Ms Sel!!

alt: I 'looked' at GenWise chat's one time, didn't sound exciting so I left and haven't been back.

Selma: You should have stayed alt..and livened it up.. LOL

alt: I guess Selma, but they were a little too far out there for me.

Selma: What were they talking about

alt: it was a Pocohontas, Charlemagne & Mayflower conversation.... with no details LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I tip in every once in a while alt and they are rather boring. Nope no details and definitely don't talk about anything other than white genealogy without any techniques... lol lol lol

Selma: Oh Ok the usual...I have been thru those conversations at conferences..e

Seventies Soulchild: ok what I make a comment and everyone gets all quiet? lol

3rdthawkins: #17 folks :) yep Seventies

ProfessorDru: gotta run

Selma: Some of the best meetings I have been to..they have not mentioned black folks..and I didn't go there for that..but these folks had great info on records, sources etc

3rdthawkins: true Selma, it is always good to meet others who research their own, and you learn a lot

alt: yes Selma, I've found that to be true at those 'white' conferences/workshops I've been to... the sessions are usually great & very informative.

daviss: no way getting over that here in AZ Selma because the few that I have been to the AA presence has been no more than 3

Selma: Most of these sessions were done by folks who have been researching for 30 or more years...

daviss: and those two came with me lol

Selma: LOL...

khathu: have a good one

Selma: Char Bah and I use to be the only one of us at some of these meetings..but it is better now

3rdthawkins: lol daviss

alt: right Selma and the session are mostly about 'process' and not personal genealogies

Seventies Soulchild: bye y'all gotta get back on the grind. ;)

Selma: Yes, process, records, where to find them, how to use them, understand them,

3rdthawkins: I more perfer chatting with the white genealogists I do chat with because they emphasis chat to genealogy and not personal talk

daviss: It has been a little while since I have been but I hope that things have changed in that regard here

3rdthawkins: they actually help people

daviss: where is that chat so I can get in on it 3rd mabe even just to listen

3rdthawkins: I will email you daviss

daviss: ok thx

alt: oh, I see where Megan Smolenyak is gonna be in KY this Friday at the African Heritage Center in Louisville.

daviss: Have you heard her alt

Selma: I missed her when she came here 2 years ago

alt: yes daviss, and she is GOOD!!!!

Selma: 17th miner rescued...16 more to go

daviss: I think Seraph said that she was alt. She saw her in Dallas very exciting Selma

alt: I've had a couple of DNA discussions with her. we're DNA cousins,, both Y & mtDNA LOL LOL

Selma: YOu should have invited her to your reunion...she probably would have come

alt: hehehehehe @Selma The Adams reunion is not in my direct Y or mtDNA lineage Selma

daviss: then they had Palin and Obama hooked up as 10th cousins this morning on CNN alt

Selma: Ummm..

3rdthawkins: I saw that mentioned on Yahoo daviss crazy

daviss: that should make her ratings fall lol lol

Selma: On his Daddy's side

alt: I saw that daviss, not too far-fetched.. a 10th cousin goes back how many generations? 8 maybe Lol @ Selma

daviss: dunno alt about the 8 generations

alt: 1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512-1024-2048-4096 .. okay maybe 13-16 generations

daviss: lol whew!

Selma: Have you all been following the Dutch Liggons thread?

alt: and then their collateral connections yes Selma

daviss: I have Selma and I tried finding him. I am wondering if that is a nickname

alt: gotta be daviss .. a nickname

daviss: They are all clumped together in 70 hard to imagine him not being there

Selma: Thats what think..I did find CAIN in 1870..she does not be seem to be taking notice of the other Liggons around him It is possible he just was not counted...

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid

daviss: gobs of them Sel

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Everyone!

alt: exactly Selma...

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary!

daviss: even going back several pages in fact, I went through all 22 pages Selma hello Ingrid

alt: or mis-indexed in 1930 is he "Scoggans" or something as a 90 y/o with his daughter in Indy?

daviss: yes alt!

alt: Hello Ingrid

Selma: Hello INgrid

daviss: my grandfathers nickname for my mother was "Dutch"

3rdthawkins: my brother was keeping a dog named Dutch

daviss: and her name was Zepher

alt: when found in 1880 he has an 8 y/o child born in MS so he may have even been in MS as early as 1870... mis-indexed, or as Selma is saying ' not counted"

daviss: I still think he is one of those in 1870 alt

Selma: I think that they were probably slaves born in NC and either taken or sold to MS

daviss: instead of indentured

alt: me too daviss.. he's about 30 y/o so certainly should be out on his own by then.

Selma: Yes..if you track the ages of the children in 1880..you can approximate when they might have arrived

daviss: The white Loggins are on the same page

alt: me too Selma

Selma: Yep..

alt: we found him buried in Indianapolis for her.

Selma: Dutch?

alt: yep

Selma: Has she sent for the death certificate

alt: dunno Selma

Selma: When does MS start keeping birth and death and marriage records

daviss: I dunno I don't know lol

Selma: Thats OK I will google

alt: he is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery in Indy

daviss: I was hesitant to answer her post because I wanted to look at little further

Selma: 1912

daviss: I reread it her post. She said he was born in NC but also that he came over as indentured from Germany

Selma: That is her oral history daviss

alt: yep, came from Germany, but all census records say born in North Carolina. possibly mean his parent(s) came from Germany as indentured servants

Selma: Then she would find them identified on the census if that was the case alt

alt: Selam like the Harvard folks we think is a generation off in her calcualtions

daviss: Cain is listed as MU

alt: one would think Selma .. 'white' Loggins somewhere in the Carolina's ca 1840-1870 or so maybe even earlier

daviss: hmmmmm

Selma: Loggins surname only appears for 1 person in Barnetta's Book

daviss: was it Henry Selma

alt: NC is a big State and she doesn't give a clue as to possibly what county in NC they could have been located.

Selma: Hold on

alt: and as JE used to remind us there was a heavy concentration of Germans settled in NC.

Selma: Need to get my other glasses...it is so sa

alt: that came down to NC from PA .. another indentured possibility.

daviss: The Loggins that is up above Cain in 70 was born in Tn

alt: and TN & NC are bordering States

daviss: but there is a 85 yo female born in NC \mabe she is the mother of the owner

Selma: She is going to have to follow the migration of the folks that appear on 1870 and 1880 But the 85 year old would not appear in Barnetta's book There is a Marriet Loggins with a Burrell Mendenhall together since 1846

daviss: no but I am thinking one of those families listed below would be

Selma: in Guilford You mean migrating after the War Oh I just read what you wrote daviss

alt: I believe she has only been searching census records, probably needs to expand to other types of records too... like why is he with a widowed daughter in Indy in 1930 when he was still in MS in 1920?

daviss: agreed alt

Selma: She probably should be focusing on the 1900 - 1930 time frame at this point

alt: and he is 90 y/o in 1930 .. gotta be some kind of paper trail over 90 years.

daviss: well, gotta run folks have a nice day

Ingrid_Doweary: Bye Daviss

daviss: bye Ms Silent Ingrid lol

Selma: I guess I better run too...have a great day

daviss: later folks!

Spivey: Bye daviss! Bye everyone! Have a good day!

alt: laters 3rd & Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh well chat with you next time 3rd. Happy hunting, Bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy