Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-10-08

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:52
End: 13:55:56
Chatters: alt, daviss, Khathu, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

daviss: heyyy alt!

alt: hello daviss

daviss: quick question what is web 2.0 in simple terms

alt: how you today? better I hope

daviss: doing ok

alt: I have no idea on web 2.0

daviss: ok thanks I looked it up on google but this brain did not decipher in simple terms lol

alt: I was doing a google

daviss: how are you doing alt/

alt: hanging in there, just hanging in there

daviss: I guess that is good enough for now huh

alt: bout all you can do daviss, gotta tkae the good with the bad and try maintain our sanity LOL

daviss: I guess I wonder if your Genealogy Angel from LA belongs to a Gen Society When I saw where she was from it made me wonder

alt: dunno, she mentioned all of the genealogy user services she subscribes to.. so I would think so.

daviss: she lives so close to Harrison County

alt: I responded back thanking her.. asked if I could mention her 'act of kindness' and haven't heard from her since then.

daviss: ahhh

alt: no response to my request of mentioning her

daviss: both Khathu and I subscribe to the Ark-La-Tex Genenealogical Society which is based in Shreveport

alt: and not by name, or even location, just the fact of her 'kindness' I see I wonder why folks are so quick to leave the Chat room... are we/I being to 'abrasive' or sumpin?

daviss: why do you say that alt?

alt: dunno, jus have a feeling.. I say something or post a Link and 'zip' folks start leaving.

daviss: I think we have regulars that come to chat no matter what

alt: they'll take the 'abuse", huh? LOL

daviss: lol The majority of regs, don't work so we can sort of hang

alt: I guess so.. wonder why folks are late today?

daviss: the other regs have lunch breaks so that takes care of the rest of us

alt: maybe we're just in a 'down' cycle tis week?

daviss: take me for instance. I have problems with my car. Since it is only 9:17 here now, the only time I can do anything is around this time

Khathu: hello alt and daviss

daviss: hello khathu

alt: hello Khathu

daviss: time change makes a difference sometimes but then we have always had lulls in chat Bobby Bland said it best when he said Soon As The Weather Breaks lol

alt: brb gota help anita with the groceries

daviss: The start of Oct the weather is nice sooooo folks may be taking a walk khathu whats up with you? Have you heard back from the folks regarding your status in the Society from the email you sent off?

Khathu: i haven't heard anything yet. i am currently working on the family reunion presentation

daviss: When is your reunion and where will it be held?

alt: no news from SRT yet, huh Khathu?

daviss: They sure had time to answer

Khathu: the reunion is being held in vallejo, ca from oct 22-24, 2010 the documentation is there all they have to do is review it

alt: ah so.. Valley Joe, huh? got some kinfolsk that live in the inner Bay area.

daviss: great khathu can you post on the calendar with a few highlights

Khathu: what calendar?

daviss: am I the only one who cruises the board lol lol http://www.afrigeneas.com/cgi-bin/calendar/calendar.pl?calendar=reunion

alt: naw daviss, I check them all, LOL

daviss: lol lol lol

alt: been following Khathu's advice and others on the Slave Forum.

daviss: yes me too alt

alt: one lady wonders why eeverything is 'so difficult' .. it's ALL on the 'Net. LOL and Ancestry can now tell you who you are related to. Amazing!!!!!

Khathu: okay...i don't really follow the reunion board too much

daviss: Thats only if you have a tree isn't it alt

Khathu: i had to response to her post

daviss: khathu the calendar is for Reunion and Events

Khathu: there are several families for the Haynes and each one has incorrect information that why you have to verify everything for yourself

daviss: The Reunion Forum is dfifferent

Khathu: okay

alt: this is a Haynes Reunion... the descendant of a particular Haynes or the families of one Haynes ancestor?

daviss: so if you ever have an event you want to announce that is what the calender is for

Khathu: It is the descendants of Isaac Haynes (1828-1893) Abner Haynes and Sylvester Stewart (Sly Stone) are his great grandsons and I am his great great great grandson

alt: okay Khathu, you saw my PP on the Adams Family.. it is hard to key on the 'main' ancestor, everyon wants to key in on their particular branch.

Khathu: I am focusing on the key ancestor

daviss: khathu I had a cousin by the name of JP Taylor who used to be Sly's Body guard back in the day

alt: exactly.. you have to do it that way, or the individual family branches ge in the way of what/who the celebration of a Reunion is all about.

Khathu: 3 degrees of separation daviss

alt: get the facts striaght on Isaac Haynes and then you can go from there.

Khathu: i agree alt

daviss: Do you ever have reunions on the wife's side

Khathu: It is best to focus on either the matriarch or patriarch

alt: we/I have had big battles on the origins of Lewis & Susan Adams... how they became free, who they might have been realted to, etc.

daviss: What was Susan's maiden name alt

alt: Native ancestry, related to Pres. Adams.. all of that kind of baloney.

daviss: lol

alt: Her father is really unknown daviss, her mother was named Rachel who married a Reno.

daviss: I see, so that is where the Reno came from

Khathu: there is this big debate regarding how my ancestor acquired $300.00 by 1870

alt: Rachel's mother was a slave named Candis, owned by the LaForce Family of VA/KY that was captured in the Shawnee/British raid of Martin's Station, KY in June 0f 1780

Khathu: people are going around saying the slave owner gave it to him

alt: I

Khathu: he stole it, etc....all kind of foolishness

alt: they can come up with some good ones Khathu

Khathu: without any proof to back up any of the assertion

daviss: did he buy land with the 300 dollars khathu

alt: my Lewis Adams, some family states was a son of Samuel Adams and his slave.... never mind that this Samual Adams was in Masschuetts and Lewis was born in KY LOL

Khathu: mostly likely the $300.00 included personal property i.e. furniture, livestock, farming equipment, as well as cash he eventually purchased 369 acres of land of W. T. Woods

daviss: the reason why I asked is mabe a land purchase can identify installments to equal that as in the case of my Joseph Taylor

Khathu: in 1871

daviss: also saw that with my Dickerson/Dixon grand

vkn: howdy all

alt: hello vkn

daviss: hello vkn

Khathu: hello vkn

vkn: yall be a small crowd lol

alt: is next weekend the AAHGS Conference? perhaps folks are getting ready for it.

daviss: a couple of our regs went to the conference vkn

vkn: no it is now alt

alt: oh, that's this weekend?

daviss: prolly Sel, Angela and Ingrid already there

vkn: AYW, Selma and Ingrid be there

alt: No wonder.. Selma, AYWalton are there ..doing their thing LOL

Khathu: i will be attending tomorrow manning the afrigeneas booth with AYWalton and Ingrid

alt: and Ingrid wonderful Khathu

daviss: Good for you khathu

vkn: Great Khathu Joseph Evanco says he will help at table also

alt: is that right, wonderful!!!!! to me Joseph, up close, personal and in living color LOL they get to meet

vkn: Did yall see the obit asking that in lieu of flowers "contribute to whomever runs against Obams in 2012"?

Khathu: wow...very interesting

daviss: saw that vkn

vkn: Blew me away

alt: yes vkn... shows how 'sick' some folks really are.

daviss: did you see my response on Talking lol

vkn: Yes I did daviss

daviss: did you slap my hand

alt: y'all got my email on 'what folks really want Obama to say' ?

vkn: I shook your hand lol

daviss: lol lol oh yes alt! that was funny but true

vkn: alt that is the funniest thing yet all true alt take em to da screets

alt: right on vkn...

daviss: I sure hope these people get out and vote next month

alt: Khathu, did I send it to you?

Khathu: i don't think so

vkn: In Atlanta fokes be having "Yes We Can" parties

alt: We have early voting here in Ohio daviss, we're gonna vote next Tuesday

daviss: awesome vkn!

vkn: indeed The logs are going up daily

daviss: I think it started yesterday here alt. I hear that a multitude of new hispanic voters signed up

alt: Khathu, a cartoon.. Obama speaking and pointing the a crowd saying "Sit Yo' A** down!!!, I'm trying to fix this sh**!!!

vkn: Hope yall answer any unanswered question

Khathu: lol

vkn: It is a wonderful cartoon in spite of the language

daviss: :? :o

alt: sometimes vkn, it has to be said "like it is"

vkn: true dat alt I thought the obit was hard core hatred

alt: I want to say something similar to some of the posters on AfriGeneas.. sit yo' behind down, get a book and do some reading on how to do this 'stuff" LOL

daviss: of course vkn, and carried on by his heirs

Khathu: ditto alt

vkn: lol I be agreeing bout posters but guess we all started at that point

Khathu: we live in a microwave society and everyone wants instant gratification add to that the extremely high and unrealistic expectation for the Obama Administration

vkn: I recall not knowing soundex from index

Khathu: with the slogan of change and hope

alt: a starting point is one thing vkn, but starting in a complete blank ain't cool at all.. I think most of us did some basic research on the How-to's before we even ventured out into the public arena.

daviss: the separation will take place between the serious and those who want something quick I was a complete blank alt no reading no nada but I eventually learned

Khathu: i don't have a problem with someone being a novice my issue is when someone is trying to explain something to them they want to argue with you

vkn: I will never forget the librarian saying to me "you poor thing" when first I went to search

daviss: I never argued but I did get pi**ssed at you alt lol

vkn: lol and at me too daviss

daviss: lol I know why now why I kept coming back for more lol

vkn: I recall trying to convince you that Mariah was found lol

daviss: hehehehe

vkn: It is called genealogy readiness khathu It just cant happen until it happens

Khathu: i guess i am a nerd because i read several books before i started

vkn: and some people learn by arguing

daviss: but most people don't. They hear oral stories and go from there

vkn: and it is hard to unlearn "my granma done tol me"

daviss: like a cousin who stated the ancestors came from NC to Tx in a canoe

vkn: lol lol lol

daviss: and the relatives believed it

Khathu: that must've been one of heck of a canoe ride

daviss: when I asked him why /how he knew that he said it sounded good

Khathu: over land and water

vkn: bumpity bump

daviss: but that story went to other branches so I threw out all his research and started on my own

Khathu: Hello Seventies

daviss: hello seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Hello daviss, Khathu, vkn, alt ok what are you all talking about?

vkn: I recall the story in my family that grandpa had walked from NC to Alabama. Come to find out he was traveling with a group of 'coalers' who were mining from NC to AL along the river banks so indeed they did walk

Seventies Soulchild: That's an interesting story. vkn

Khathu: sometimes oral history can be correct

vkn: indeed but takes research to document

Khathu: i was told that a relative was sold to family in clay county, indiana

daviss: true but this cousin bumed me out with this canoe business

vkn: and khathu as you advised the poster it took researching with the white family to do so

Khathu: which was incorrect however the relative did migrate there after slavery

Seventies Soulchild: lol daviss....

vkn: so daviss you tossed his paddle overboard lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

daviss: and also the headdress some of the folks were wearing lol lol

vkn: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

vkn: dey be heap big injun lol

Seventies Soulchild: I should go back and review my interview with my granddad from summer 2009 And I should go to see the undertaker.... muhahaha... :}

daviss: interviews are good! I wish I had done so

Seventies Soulchild: we were all kind of just talking in my aunts kitchen and I turned on the recorder. very impromtu. I do remember a few details from his sister, my aunt Nig who said that her grandmother worked on the levys. . .

vkn: aunt nig ???

alt: catching up to tthe discussion.. hello Seventies Soulchild

Khathu: have a great day everyone

daviss: its a nickname

vkn: oooook

daviss: lots of aunt nigs around especially in Texas there are also a few males I used to think that it had to do with skin color but don't think so now

vkn: yall be good lunch is waiting

daviss: byeee

Seventies Soulchild: oh my.. vkn left? yes that's my aunt Margaret's nickname.. don't know why

daviss: I have had that discussion with several folks who have an "nig" in their line

alt: guess half of the chat room is at the AAHGS conf.

Seventies Soulchild: Are y'all going to leave me too?:(

daviss: My grandmother Essie has that nick name

alt: really daviss & Seventies Soulchild,, I've never heard tha tas a nickname for an aunt or uncle

Seventies Soulchild: I thought it was a variation of Meg

daviss: guess so alt Felicia one of the Tx posters has an Uncle Nig

Seventies Soulchild: That's what they call her, Nig... It reminds me of the book "Our Nig"

daviss: I forgot his real name but thats what they called him

Seventies Soulchild: Now I know what it is short for... I don't care for it too much.

alt: that's not a dervivation of what I think it is, right?

daviss: no alt

Seventies Soulchild: Yessir In the title of the book it is.

daviss: At first I thought so because of the color of my grands skin but not so

alt: I mean the nickname Seventies Soulchild

daviss: I have seen all shades

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not sure. I thought it was a corruption of Meg, short for Margaret in my case other than that, I didn't ask. How are you both doing today?

alt: okay & you

daviss: what is your aunts skin tone seventies

Seventies Soulchild: wonderful. Looking forward to the 3 day weekend with my boys.

alt: speaking for myself LOL

Seventies Soulchild: about my color

daviss: Felecia's unkle is sort of nut brown uncle

Seventies Soulchild: hmmm.

daviss: my grand is very light

Seventies Soulchild: your mother's mother?

daviss: yep

Seventies Soulchild: Your mother was pretty fair herself.

daviss: so I threw the derviation thing out the window

Seventies Soulchild: ah okay Other than that, I'm considering ordering that CW pension file on James Galimore. It wasn't approved, but I am hoping to get some good info.

daviss: since then I have learned of so many folks with that as a nickname

Seventies Soulchild: Crossing my fingers.......

alt: the application will have a bunch of information, often times more than an approved pension file Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I hope so. I really would like to get some information on the Galmore/Galimore family. Only one in Adams Co, MS but several in Panola Co. MS

alt: from what you have at this point... do you know why the pension was disapproved? orjust that it was disapproved

Seventies Soulchild: No not yet. Just have the application number on the card, but not certificate number

alt: okay, I see

Seventies Soulchild: I think that it has something to do with the et al. Perhaps there was no direct descendant

alt: one of those premature questions that we are wont to ask LOL

Seventies Soulchild: well that would be in the file, right? The investigators report.

alt: the reason for the disapproval, yes , it should be there

Seventies Soulchild: I just know very little about the family. That's my reasoning for ordering the application.

alt: how expensive are they now.. used to be a basic 75.00 and then upward depending on how many pages had to be copied

Seventies Soulchild: as far as I know still 75, for the first 100 pages.

alt: okay thanks

Seventies Soulchild: Mississippi State archives jumped from $15 per research hour to $27 per research hour within this year! I nearly pee'd myself! that's almost double! This recession is hitting the states hard apparently.

alt: a couple of years ago , you could get a 'genealogy only' copy of a BC or DC here in Ohio for .75 cents.. now they only give out certified copies and they are 25.00 upwards dependingon what the additional county fees may be.

Seventies Soulchild: wow! alt this change was in the span of March to September

alt: that's why those DC prior to 1853 on familysearch are such a bargin I hear ya Seventies Soulchild & feel your pain LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I mean, I may have to do some serious running around next summer. I'm using my aunt's mailing address in MS to get the information.

alt: hopefully you can get away with using a digital camera

Seventies Soulchild: I plan to head back to Wilkinson County & Adams courthouse

alt: I wish you the best Seventies Soulchild

daviss: me too

alt: gotta run y'all Laters

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks... hopefully things will pan out for me in the next couple of months.

daviss: later

Seventies Soulchild: later alt

daviss: bye alt

Seventies Soulchild: Ok Ms daviss, did you get my link on facebook?

daviss: not yet

Seventies Soulchild: I'll send it again..

daviss: did you send me your phone number

Seventies Soulchild: No.. don't you have my number? It should be on speed dial.... lol

daviss: I sent you a msg on FB do you check those

Seventies Soulchild: yes all the time.

daviss: hmmmm private msg

Seventies Soulchild: I'm looking now yes you sent one last week?

daviss: {snort} did you answer me

Seventies Soulchild: I responded...

daviss: with your number?

Seventies Soulchild: or did you post a message only I can see?

daviss: yes

Seventies Soulchild: OH... lol that's different!

daviss: lol well now youn'un I will wait for your reply lol

Seventies Soulchild: I don't see it . . . when did you send it?

daviss: let me look hmmm I dont see where I sent it lol wonder who got lol funny girl

Seventies Soulchild: ok well I sent you a message with my number

daviss: ok thanks

Seventies Soulchild: Its waiting for you in the inbox

daviss: now I am wondering if I sent it via email ok thx

Seventies Soulchild: lol uh oh Gosh its almost 2. I've got to work... lol

daviss: later

Seventies Soulchild: have a good day!

daviss: u2

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy