Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-10-07

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:51
End: 13:56:11
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, khathu, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Spivey

Spivey: Hi Seventies Soulchild!

Seventies Soulchild: hello daviss

Spivey: Hi daviss!

daviss: hello seventies and soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I have been meaning to contact you... but been busy with the youngins lol I found an historical society on FB for Autauga County, AL

daviss: thats good news seventies, did you join?

Seventies Soulchild: I joined, and I thought it may be of use to you also. hello khathu

Spivey: Hi khathu!

daviss: sure, send me the link will you hello khathu

Seventies Soulchild: of course :)

khathu: hello everyone

daviss: whats the charge per year

Seventies Soulchild: I just joined their FB page....

daviss: oh ok

Seventies Soulchild: You know, just to air out my beef, these southern historical societies do not contact people back. What's their deal? I've contacted TWO societies by e-mail and by phone in the last month. No response. hi alt

Spivey: Hi alt!

alt: hello daviss, Khathu, Seventies Soulchild & Spivey

daviss: I wish I knew.. What type of Intro did you use hello alt!

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon/Good morning... lol I try not to beat around the bush...

daviss: you mean like crying "HELP" lol

khathu: hello alt

Seventies Soulchild: lol Maybe I sound too black or too Northern... lol

alt: Hi Seventies Soulchild, many gen societies are understaffed and their websites are frequently out of date... not an excuse, but just some FYI

Seventies Soulchild: I figure money or gift baskets would fit into the equation somewhere... lol

daviss: well, I have written to the lady that is in charge of the archives at Spelman and have yet to get a response. I am on my 3rd email

alt: If they have a membership app on their website.. send a check for the 1st years dues.. that sometimes 'prompts' them

Seventies Soulchild: No they don't... lol alt, been there, done that... :?

alt: example.. our site is woefully out of date www.aaggmv.org

daviss: I have even left msgs on her tele but nada, so I feel ya

Seventies Soulchild: ok that is my gripe of the day.. lol Now onto some good news. I think I found a Galmore/Galimore relative who served in the CW in Adams Co. MS

khathu: Seventies are you related to Edward Cananda

Seventies Soulchild: This was yesterday I don't have any Cananda's in the family lines that I'm aware of.

khathu: it was the first name....

Seventies Soulchild: Yes on the Pension file card.

alt: daviss, check Robert Goins' messages on AfriGeneas... he visited the Archives @ Wilberforce Univ. and found it to be a one woman operation. I know her and she is not very computer literate.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I have a legal type question. Has anyone seen a pension file card where the pension requesters list their name followed by et al???

alt: yep,

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey All!

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary!

daviss: I will do that alt but my goodness what does it take to say hello on the phone

alt: dunno

Seventies Soulchild: I know what that means legally, but could you explain that to me alt? is the et al like his estate? hi Ingrid_Doweary

daviss: I cant answer that question

alt: yep.. others, kids etc.

daviss: mabe wife, mother

Seventies Soulchild: OK what I'm trying to do with this info, because I'm strongly leaning toward ordering the pension file, is tie Phobe Galimore/Galmore to James Galimore the CW soldier Phoebe Galimore my great-great-great grandmother I'm not sure of their relationship though. If they were siblings or married. James is listed as being born in 1838, Phoebe in abt 1830

daviss: well, perhaps a clue will be there seventies where did you get the name James from

Seventies Soulchild: That's why I'm considering getting the file. It wasn't ever approved, but an application was completed. daviss, was putting around on ancestry yesterday afternoon and came across it while searching for the surname Galmore in Adams Co. MS James Galmore, btw was the name of my great grand uncle. Trying to get some family naming clues together. Also James is the name of my grandfather. his mother was the galmore

alt: what unit did this fella serve with Seventies Soulchild?

daviss: did you see where he had served by looking at the 1910 census

Seventies Soulchild: 5th heavy artillery out of Natchez, MS alt, he was even made a corporal. First time I've seen that.

alt: okay, I ask because location is of help sometimes .. and this seems to fit your area of research

Seventies Soulchild: Right, the name and the timeframe & location caught my attention

alt: so he should be on a 1870 & later census record to help you connect him to a family

Seventies Soulchild: daviss, I was able to look at his service card. This always happens, when I'm not seriously looking is when I get these great hits. lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Hello Alt.

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn

Spivey: Hi vkn!

daviss: sounds like a winner seventies, I would go for it hello vkn!

vkn: Howdy seventies alt spivey daviss Ingrid khathu all y'all

Ingrid_Doweary: I agree with Daviss, Seventies.

khathu: lol @ Seventies

vkn: Hope the genealogy chat is reaping generous gatherings

daviss: I tried that page by page thing in Harrison County Texas 1910 looking for those who may have served. After about 30 pages I got tired of looking

Ingrid_Doweary: I hope so too, vkn

alt: hello vkn

daviss: will you go to the archives in NY to get the records or via mail seventies

Seventies Soulchild: alt, I'm browsing the 1870 census now. I just see Phoebe and her two boys Kendy (my gg grandfather) and James.

vkn: So what thoughts if any of the ancestry acquisition of footnote ?

Seventies Soulchild: I'm starting 10 pages back & searching 10 pages forward from where they are.

alt: okay, so it appears you're on the right track Seventies Soulchild Ancestry & footnote, my thoughts... gooble, gooble, gooble

Seventies Soulchild: I'm concerned now. Who's buying up these databases? Agree alt

vkn: indeed alt sounds like the Bill Gates of Genealogy

alt: when Ancestry attempts to buy AfriGeneas we have ARRIVED!!!!! LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol funny but not funny!

vkn: absolutely not funny seventies

alt: well, AfriGeneas does have some 'unique' databases that Ancestry would love to have.

Seventies Soulchild: God I hope that afrigeneas doesn't 'sell out'.. :)

Ingrid_Doweary: It looks like Ancestry.com is doing the buying. I talked to my brother-in-law who used to work for Palladium(sp) which fmrly manufacturered Family Tree Maker.

Seventies Soulchild: Well I want access to those footnote records if they did buy them.

vkn: Ingrid and once there was Broderbund do you remember alt

Ingrid_Doweary: The Family Tree Maker application was bought by Genealogy/Generations.com. Genealogy/Generations was purchaed by Ancestry.com

Seventies Soulchild: wow that was like in the 1990's vkn

alt: yep Broderbund & Banner Blue

Seventies Soulchild: I had some of their old family tree maker software... like family maker 1.3....

Ingrid_Doweary: I remember that briefly.

Spivey: vkn isn't Broderbund still in business?

alt: I still have my DOS versions of FTM

Seventies Soulchild: Yes they make kids games I believe.

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Spivey: Hi AYWalton!

daviss: hello AYWalton!

Seventies Soulchild: 3.5 floppys, how antique.. lol

AYWalton: Hello alt, greetings daviss, Ingrid, khathu, SoulChile, Spivey.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes the Family Tree Maker 2005 software package, CD_ROM is now a collectors item for me because I don't see the same cover now. Hey AY!

alt: I still have a 'puter that has the 3.5 & 4.5 disc drives Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: wow! I remember those when I was a kid! lol lol lol

alt: you still are LOL LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Those computers back then were made to last. I"ve been through 3 towers and 3 laptops.... in about 15 yrs.

alt: I'm sorry Seventies Soulchild, couldn't let that one go by ..

Seventies Soulchild: Its ok, I'll let that one go.. . lol

alt: ty

vkn: Remember when there was no GUI

Seventies Soulchild: Yep me too. Apple computers with the green or yellow screens and all commands had to be typed in... LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: Awww!! vkn!!

alt: daviss, on those Archives at HBCU's.. they are woefully understaffed and really not in the best of shape.... least the ones I have visited are in bad shape

Ingrid_Doweary: DOS was the rule then.

vkn: Remember when there was no GUI and we were crawling the NASA back alley into libraries

Ingrid_Doweary: Didn't you have to have Electronic Bulletins then, Vkn?

vkn: Except at Talladega alt

daviss: thanks for your input on that alt

Ingrid_Doweary: Which Archives, Alt?

alt: yes vkn, I go back to Sperry Rand & RCA when they were vacumn tubes & then Transistors

Seventies Soulchild: I read about that in history books, alt... sorry couldn't let that one pass! LOL

daviss: Sperry Rand was one of my early employers alt

alt: Wilberforce, Ky State, Fisk, Tenn State are those that I've visited I'll let you go .. this time Seventies Soulchild

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay. Now there

Seventies Soulchild: TY :}

vkn: Well before there was anything there was Rand

Ingrid_Doweary: is a HBCU Digital Collection Portal.

khathu: has anyone read the post where do you go on the slavery forum

alt: Seventies Soulchild, I worked with Commander Cooper when she was developing COBOL for the DOD

Seventies Soulchild: Cool alt...

Spivey: You have a URL for the post khathu?

khathu: why do people think they can research slave holding family by the name of the plantation?

alt: I saw it this AM khathu

Seventies Soulchild: No... I've been checking that forum periodically too.

Ingrid_Doweary: http://contentdm.auctr.edu/cdm4/about.php The university where I'm employed is a member.

vkn: I have not khathu but I have read the responses across boards from Robin.

AYWalton: just read it, khathu. the German reference is a bit odd. I was wondering if they were thrown off by the name Dutch.

alt: that looks great Ingrid_Doweary!!!!!

AYWalton: I have looked at that site before, Ingrid, but probably need to look at it again. Thanks for that link.

khathu: i encourage the person to document the life of her ancestor after slavery from 1865-1880 for possible clues on the last documented slave holding family

daviss: dont see spelman there

AYWalton: which was the best advice.

alt: at the very least khathu

AYWalton: again, I often remind people that they have to connect.

khathu: and also to learn as much as possible about the potential slave holding family since she does not when, where or how they may have acquired her ancestor

AYWalton: There is a great temptation sometimes to go looking for a record that has their ancestor's name----but it is just reflecting an individual who had the same name---or was it their ancestor?

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks Khathu for reminding me. My Hughes cousin has done some research and we need to document that.

alt: we have a 'tendency' to want to start where the oral traditions begin without working our way back to the timeframe of the tradition.

AYWalton: and that is the first way to get derailed--right from the beginning! and so many of us make that mistake.

khathu: i know as much and probably more about the slave holding family than their actual descendants

Ingrid_Doweary: For sure, AY.

AYWalton: I get that question quite often, alt with Afr-Native ancestry---folks want to pull out a tribal roll and find the Thompson they want to find on a Cherokee roll. but one has to do the research and make the connection.

alt: yep AYWalton

AYWalton: and the desire for the quick connection is understood, but it is the fastest way to bring the research to a halt before it starts.

alt: My "Reno" story wa soral tradition, but by the time I 'worked it' I knew more about slavery in VA & KY in the late 1700's than I ever dreamed of learning

khathu: exactly....i have sent years trying to connect the Haynes to the slave holding Brumby Family with not luck

vkn: True AYW or one is 'barking' up the wrong tree

Ingrid_Doweary: sent=spent, I comprehend, Khathu. :)

alt: and vkn has put up my post to AfriGeneas that dates back to 1997 and I'm still working on those lines

khathu: i have not been able to find any documented interaction however, i was able to locate a transaction between my ancestors and a former slave owner in 1871 the slave owner was named Betts

Ingrid_Doweary: Good job, Alt and vkn.

alt: and that's just one 'slave owning' family in my history

Ingrid_Doweary: Good job, Khathu! Have you located any sharecropping history in your family research, Khathu?

khathu: one has to research not just their families but all the individual their family interacted with the majority of my ancestors were sharecroppers only a few were land owners

alt: yep khathu... the ancestor, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, the 'whole ball of wax'

Ingrid_Doweary: Were you able to locate any relevant financial institutions' activities with any ancestors or their owner/employers?

khathu: no i have not

AYWalton: Well have to run, folks. Have a great day everyone!

khathu: most of the contracts/agreements were private i.e. between the land owner and the sharecropper

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks, Khathu. That raises some questions I can address in my research.

alt: the 'big' thing now seems to be the early census records on Ancestry.. prior to 1850 and folks are mis-reading the indexes for who was free & who was still enslaved.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes. I have big concerns about that, Alt.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, that causes some confusion for me. Because did most states, asking specifically about deep southern states like AL, even note the race of their fpoc's?

alt: you bet they did Seventies Soulchild

vkn: Ingrid_Doweary read suggestion is DuBois and a book cannot recall author called The Way It Was In The South

Ingrid_Doweary: The researcher defintely requires a collective of records to cross-reference, verify and validate.

Seventies Soulchild: I was looking at some 1850s indexes (I think) and I saw family names of my FPOCs and I didn't see any race associated with it. This would be in Dallas County, AL

Spivey: Welcome back khathu.

daviss: wb khathu

Ingrid_Doweary: DuBois, vkn? W.E.B. DuBois?

vkn: yuppers ingrid

alt: well by race I'm saying FPOC and others are designated basically as 'non-white' Seventies Soulchild

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, thanks, Vkn.

Seventies Soulchild: ok or listed on a non-white or black free persons schedule. ok gotcha

daviss: Donald Grant is the author

khathu: i think sharecropping records, if they still exist will be in private collection

vkn: Ingrid reference the Reconstruction forum

alt: I think an early term on the census was 'free colored'.

Ingrid_Doweary: Will do, TY.

khathu: there are the labor contracts of the Freedmen Bureau

daviss: if that is the one you are thinking about vkn

vkn: yes daviss thanx

Ingrid_Doweary: Gotcha, Khathu. TY.

khathu: however i would check local universities in the area to see what they may have

vkn: yes daviss thanx son finished the work started by father

khathu: sometimes family papers are donated

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to ask, have you seen any private sharecropping records, Khathu? In your experience would they be associated with a business or personal records?

Ingrid_Doweary: I remember someone in earlier chat sessions reminding us to review the ancestors who dwelled during the Reconstruction Period.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm curious as to what those may look like?

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Seventies, thanks for asking. I'm curious also.

khathu: I haven't seen any Seventies however I believe they would be of a private nature unless the land was owned by a business and developed contracts between it and the workers

alt: khathu, I have found 'collections' in Univesities as 'private collections' sucj as the Powell Collection at Eastern Carolina Univ… much good informtaion on the Powell's, Dicken's and related families in Edgecombe/Halifax co. NC

Seventies Soulchild: ok... I do have a good reason for asking this because of some of the exploitation of labor in later years.

khathu: they would mostly be contracts no different from labour contracts

vkn: Also see Federal Dept of Transportation records in RG 105

alt: look at th major universites in your areas of reseach for 'private papers' most have a library catalog of their holdings

Ingrid_Doweary: Oooooh, Vkn :) !

khathu: i am experiencing some techncial difficulties this afternoon

alt: Hang on khathu, hang on LOL

khathu: please bear with me

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry to hear that, Khathu. We'll bear with you.

vkn: alt and Khathu much has been digitized by Lexus Nexus

Ingrid_Doweary: Lexus Nexus, the legal resource database.

Seventies Soulchild: Lexis Nexus owns a lot....

alt: right vkn, always keep up with the online sites & repositories as they are constantly adding new 'stuff'

daviss: but can they be accessed by the average joe and Jenny vkn?

Spivey: No daviss.

Seventies Soulchild: Including credit ratings. . .

khathu: remember most sharecroppers were illiterate

Ingrid_Doweary: Probably if the institution is a subscriber, individuals may have access.

vkn: prolly in time daviss with all these Gorillas out here lol

alt: and look at the local county offices,,, many are adding their archived data, such as tax records, deeds, grantor/grantee records, etc.

vkn: or pretended to be khathu

Seventies Soulchild: I've over extended my lunch hour... lol Gotta run it! was fun all. :)

Spivey: I wonder vkn. So far, WestLaw and Lexus Nexus have not joined in the public market. Perhaps their financial needs are satisfied by the funds received from corporate and government subscribers.

alt: they're findng it is cheaper to build indexes and digitize records than to store them.

vkn: or pretended to be khathu as a survival tactic

Ingrid_Doweary: U.S. Department of Agriculture and Agricultural Research Service might be worth looking into.

khathu: have a great day everyone

vkn: lol spivey are financial needs ever satisfied

alt: exactly Ingrid_Doweary, leave no stone unturned... if you can think of a resource look for an online version.

Ingrid_Doweary: Got it, Alt. Thanks for the inspiration.

Spivey: Not usually, vkn. lol But those two companies don't seem to be looking for new clientele.

daviss: so if I subscribe to Westlaw I will be able to access those records?

Spivey: Yes, daviss, but you as an individual can't subscribe.

alt: I've been reading newspapers on Ancestry today... they now have added the "phrase" capability... reading my hometown paper The Piqua Daily Call from the 1930's.

vkn: Spivey as alt said last week Ancestry is now costing about $300 annually. I would say they are pricing themselves out of my budget

Spivey: Perhaps some member[s] of AfriGeneas work in an office that subscribes to WestLaw and Lexus Nexus daviss. Usually the business subscribes to both. I just spent that much for my renewal package vkn.

Ingrid_Doweary: I was thinking the same thing, Spivey. Re: your subscriber statement, Spivey.

Spivey: Why is part of my sentence crossed out on the screen? L OL.

daviss: I can go to the law library and get a card to access Westlaw from home

Ingrid_Doweary: Thought that was your intention.

daviss: not sure about Lexus

Ingrid_Doweary: "...Intention.. for Spivey.

Spivey: I have never seen subscriptions for either WestLaw or Lexus Nexus in other than a government legal or legal office Ingrid_Doweary. Not even in libraries.

alt: if you have a 'hometown/area' newspaper on Ancestry search tha paper by names example .... "art Thomas" "Bob Jones" , etc you'll get all hits by newspaper dates. and only when those words are next to each other.

Ingrid_Doweary: Is that with the basic search or advanced search, Alt?

vkn: Also family members have access to Westlaw via subscription through firms they own etc

alt: the basic search Ingrid_Doweary, put the parameter in the Keyword block

Spivey: Yes vkn.

daviss: I helped a lady get legal papers for her son who was in prison. We were informed that we could do the research from home and all we needed was a card to do so

Ingrid_Doweary: Spivey, you may need to review the terms of subscription/membership for Lexus-Nexus and Westlaw.

daviss: The lady did not have a computer and I did not want to get bogged down with a lot of research in that arena

vkn: daviss much has to do with locality

Spivey: Are they now available for individual subscription daviss? Sorry, that was for Ingrid_Doweary.

daviss: yes spivey this was not less than 3 months ago

Spivey: How much daviss?

daviss: I would love to get the L-N no charge spivey

Ingrid_Doweary: I don't know, I need to see the terms for subscription.

Spivey: Hold on a minute daviss. Let me see if I understand what you're saying. I can get a subscription to Lexus Nexus for free?

Ingrid_Doweary: http://tinyurl.com/38poaya That' for Spivey to review.

daviss: I did not say you could.. lol I said I could get WestLaw through our Law Library here

Ingrid_Doweary: That'=That's

daviss: I don't know about L-N

Spivey: Oh, that is the same thing I said daviss.

daviss: Hold on a minute daviss. Let me see if I understand what you're saying. I can get a subscription to Lexus Nexus for free? are they the same

Ingrid_Doweary: Also, Spivey here is a link for subscription options to Westlaw. http://tinyurl.com/358jxnn

daviss: if so I would be thrilled

Spivey: I said I have never seen WestLaw or Lexus Nexus except in a government law library or a legal library daviss. I said that before you said it was free.

vkn: hmmmmmmmm

alt: I'm outa here y'all .... Laters

Spivey: I can't scroll far enough back to capture what I said, daviss, but perhaps you can. It in no way contradicts what you just said.

daviss: ok well this is what I know.. I can get Westlaw access from home through the Law Library here . I do not know about Lexus

Spivey: Sorry if I contradicted that situation daviss.

daviss: Westlaw is a free service and all I need to do is get a card to access from home. The card is free

Ingrid_Doweary: Got you thinking, eh, Vkn?

daviss: I would love to get Lexus Nexus. I think I will give them a call to see if they have the same deal

Spivey: daviss, I think you are talking about an access that is not available to someone like me. I don't know which law library you're referring to but there is no such institution here that I have access to.

vkn: well the genealogical data available is of interest

daviss: ok Spivey I hear what you are saying

Ingrid_Doweary: True, Vkn. Marriage licenses are both legal and genealogical documents.

daviss: I would not have known if I had not gone down to the Law Library here to help the lady get law briefs for her son He btw is tring to get an appeal for a murder charge that netted him 85 yrs

Ingrid_Doweary: Whew!

vkn: Well daviss sounds as though AZ is doing something right once in a while lol

Spivey: What is this Law Library you are referring to daviss?

Ingrid_Doweary: Whoa, that's heavy.

daviss: After we made copies of some of the things he wanted, the law clerk told us that we could access from home

Spivey: Is this Law Library a stand alone institution daviss?

daviss: It is The State law Library spivey it is housed in the Clerk Of The Superior Court

Ingrid_Doweary: Ahhh-there's the resource citation.

Spivey: Okay. Thanks daviss.

Ingrid_Doweary: So now you've identified a state repository, Daviss.

vkn: locality locality locality

Spivey: Exactly Ingrid_Doweary.

daviss: You have to give them your drivers Lic and fill out a form just like you would for a ;library card You can renew just like a library card after a year

Ingrid_Doweary: That

Spivey: Understood daviss. It just occurred to me that these services might also be available through college or university libraries.

Ingrid_Doweary: is interesting. My husband previously worked for the local district court system digitizing probate records.

daviss: I have no idea. All I want to know now is about Lexus lol

vkn: Y'all be good!

daviss: I have seen so many articles that I would love to read but cant that have Lexus -Nexus

Ingrid_Doweary: Therefore he previously had access to Westlaw and Lexus-Nexus. Now he performs Quality assurance for a cable company.

daviss: understood Ingrid

Spivey: I had access to both when I worked as well Ingrid_Doweary.

daviss: I worked as a deputy clerk for about 10 yrs and had access but at that time I was not interested lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Understood, Spivey. Have you served jury duty, this year?

Spivey: Same here daviss.

daviss: Clerk Of Superior Court

Spivey: I mean about the non-interest. The most I ever did on the system was pull up the instances of the SPIVEY surname in Georgia and there were pages from that state alone. My head was reeling. I thought the surname was uncommon.

daviss: I told you Spivey that since I met you, all I see is Spivey

Spivey: And all I see is Mariah daviss. lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Interesting.

Spivey: I'm going to take a short break here before I get my lunch: croaker fish and potato salad. LOL.

daviss: what is croaker

Spivey: A fish with a lot of bones, daviss. A lot, but I think that's what makes it tasty.

daviss: i see

Spivey: I never had it when I lived in the south but once I found it that's about all I eat.

Ingrid_Doweary: Enjoy , Spivey

daviss: is it like Buffalo

Spivey: Buffalo meat?

daviss: fish is it dark meat

Spivey: Oh, I don't know Buffalo fish, never heard of it.

daviss: hmmmm wonder if its the same lol

Spivey: Croaker is somewhat dark but lighter in the middle of the meat. The meat right under the skin is the dark part.

daviss: hmmmm sounds like Buffalo I will google lol

Spivey: Maybe that's what they're called in other places. Okay. I should actually look it up too. See you both later. Bye for now.

daviss: ok

Ingrid_Doweary: Well, Davis I'll get to my research. I took a couple of days off for the aahgs conference.

daviss: take care

Ingrid_Doweary: Prepping.

daviss: later

Ingrid_Doweary: take care.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy