Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-10-05

*LunchBunch*TuesNite

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:28
End: 13:56:17
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, frances stephens, Hollyweird, Ingrid_Doweary, khathu, ryan, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vkn

alt: hello frances stephens,, how are ya today?

frances stephens: Good Afternoon alt. I am fine, and you. Where is everyone?

alt: Hello spivey

frances stephens: Hello spivey

Spivey: Hi alt, frances stephens!

alt: they're starting to arrive now frances stephens ...

frances stephens: I see.

alt: frances stephens, you are in Ypsilanti (sp) MI?

frances stephens: Yes I am.

alt: Spivey had some questions on that area last week on a possible ancestor. that is Washtenaw Co.,, or nearby, right?

frances stephens: Oh, I was not on here last week. There are times when I will miss several days.

khathu: hello everyone

alt: Hello Khathu

frances stephens: Washtenaw County is correct Hi Khathu

alt: khathu, read you message to SRT... good job of 'splainin your case...

frances stephens: Alt, do you have family here?

khathu: thanks alt

Spivey: alt, I found this since I last spoke of Louis KELSEY: http://tinyurl.com/25h4sbe

alt: Here you go frances stephens, my website http://tinyurl.com/382ytzp very good Spivey... looks like you will be able to glean some good info on this Louis Kelsey

Spivey: I think so alt. And, I also now believe he is my ancestor. I have spoken with other family members and we do indeed have relatives in the Lansing area of Michigan. I could sometimes kick myself though, alt. I just discovered the Civil War database at Ancestry.com. :( 8)

alt: Spivey, there is a book "Swamp Angels" a biographical study of the 54th Massachusetts Regiment by Robert Ewell Greene ... Kelsey may be in there He isn't in the abstract that I have, but the bio sketches are great!!!

Spivey: Thanks, alt. I will look into it.

alt: yw Spivey

frances stephens: alt, could you or anyone else give me a clear understanding of "collateral family" please. Someone else tried and I missed it.

alt: more or less the families that have married into your 'direct' lines.... the children of in-laws for example. hat's my take on collateral families frances stephens

frances stephens: Good enough, that explains it.

alt: Khathu,, how soon do you expect a response from SRT? are they 'punctual'?

frances stephens: Thank you alt, I can pass that on to several other family memebers who are researching their lines.

khathu: i don't know alt

Spivey: frances stephens, here's a definition from the Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Collateral%20Family

khathu: i tried to provide a detailed response to each of his points without being arrogant

frances stephens: Thanks Spivey.

alt: I noticed khathu, It will take them awhile to 'digest' everything that you threw at them :) and you were not arrogant at all... rather polite, I thought

Spivey: You're welcome frances stephens.

khathu: they may see it as being arrogant this ordeal will be a blog entry

alt: of course, you're defending your position in a very articulate manner... people of color aren't supposed to be able to do that, without being called arrogant.

khathu: exactly

frances stephens: Have any of you requested any information from LDS. There is something I would like to get a copy of.

alt: yes frances stephens, you might check to see if there is an LDS Family History Center (FHC) near you, they often have and/or can get materials for you rather quickly

frances stephens: Great, did it take a very long time or were they quick with a response.

alt: I go to an FHC nearby frances stephens and they are rahter 'quick' in getting materials

frances stephens: I am looking for the Family Bible of my GreatGrandmothers owners (putting it nicely). I know they have the records. And I know who was the last owner of the Bible.

alt: also try this site for what might be available in your area of research http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

frances stephens: Checking it out now.

alt: now that might be a difficult item to come by frances stephens, sounds as if it would be in 'private hands' and not available to the public

khathu: Hello 3rd

alt: Spivey.. your Lansing connections.... did they migrate to MI from the South, or are they part of the Kelsey's that were in MI from the 1850's or so?

Spivey: Hi 3rdthawkins!

alt: Hello 3rdthawkins

Spivey: I haven't researched it that deeply yet alt. Hi daviss!

daviss: hello spivey

alt: okay spivey,,, you know how quick we are to 'jump' on early questions LOL

daviss: and hello to everyone else

alt: okay y'all .. da police is in da house LOL

Spivey: I think though, alt, that he did not 'move' to Georgia as the article states, but rather 'returned' to Georgia. His whole family is in Georgia on the 1880 Federal census.

3rdthawkins: hello Khathu alt Spivey frances stephens and daviss yesterday, I was contacted by mail by a relative

alt: Spivey, there is an AA Kelsey family in Macomb County, MI in 1850.

frances stephens: The daughters of the American Revolution have that information listed with the LDS. Complete with reel #, etc. I would rather not make a trip to Salt Lake, but I have been known to do that. Hello 3rd.

Spivey: There is also the [undocumented as yet] family story that the KELSEYs were owned by the BRINSON family alt. In Georgia.

alt: the patriarch of the family was born ca 1798 in PA ... some of the children were born in Canada.

Spivey: What was the result 3rdthawkins?

daviss: call the nearest center francis and give them the reel number. They can make copies

alt: then you may be able to get a copy of the microfilm via Inter-library Loan

frances stephens: Spivey, I see you mentioned the Brinson family in GA. One of the Harvard members was Alice Harvard Brinson.

Spivey: BRINSON is one of my surnames frances stephens. I have to check for an Alice.

frances stephens: I will try all of your suggestions. Thank you.

daviss: The last time I got copies from them here, it was about 15 cents a page. That was quite awhile ago

3rdthawkins: Spivey, a couple months ago I contacted the funeral home in Lake City, SC about my great grandfather Charles Hawkins. Apparently, the undertaker gave the letter to a family member, the family member had a sister who was visiting and she showed the letter to her. So her sister wrote me a nice letter and sent me a photo, I emailed her and hoping for a response

alt: that's wonderful news 3rdthawkins, keep plugging away

Spivey: Good 3rdthawkins. I got a website yesterday that has copies of old New York newspapers. Would you like it?

vkn: howdy all yall 3rd alt daviss frances khathu Spivey

3rdthawkins: she gave me some good info, it appears Spivey alt and daviss, that my great grandparents Charles and Ella were separted, which is "why" my great grandmother moved to Jamaica, NY, my great grandfather would visit NY, he had family that lived there. When he was sick, my great grandmother came back down to "nurse him to health" as the relative said, and they stayed together until he passed

alt: vkn is that 'you all' or ..... LOL

frances stephens: Spivey, Alice Harvard Brinson died May 9, 1967 Cert# 015693.

3rdthawkins: yes, definitely Spivey

vkn: lol y'all

3rdthawkins: I am thinking there is something to hide by my grandfather's siblings sisters I think they thought I was getting too close to the truth

alt: now tha's the kind of 'stuff' I'm talking about 3rdthawkins... you're getting beyond the dryness of who, when & where and now starting to get into the what's & why's good work!!!

Spivey: frances stephens does the information you're accessing have anything about who her family was?

vkn: daviss you be ok"

Spivey: 3rdthawkins here's the website. Grab what you can. I am leery about it remaining a free site for long. http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

3rdthawkins: ok

frances stephens: Spivey, I hope so, but my main interest is what the pages will reveal. 3rd, they usually run for the hill when you get too close. I just had that experience last month in Savannah.

daviss: lot going on vkn...aside from both brothers I told you about my transmission went out on car.. I am running like a chicken with its head cut off

Spivey: frances stephens can you tell me where she died? Hi Selma. !

vkn: long as you be running and not lose head it be ok daviss

Selma: Good afternoon alt, daviss, frances, Khathu, Spivey and vkn

alt: hi Selma how is it in the 'Tidewater' area today?

vkn: Howdy Selinva

daviss: very close vkn, very close

frances stephens: I usually give people a little rest then I go right back and start all over again. Doggedly persistent.

Selma: Tidewater to sunny and cool...LOL

vkn: :::whew::: I know what daviss be meaning I be there doing same thing

frances stephens: Alice died in Georgia. I believe Laurens County.

alt: the 'home' thread is quite interesting.. good idea.

vkn: It is indeed interestingly informative. Great how Toot and Regina had similar rain experiences. Photos are great also

daviss: tin roofs, outdoor plumbing, all not so long ago is it :?

alt: yes vkn, seems many of us have a lot in common and the photos 'add' to the stories.

Selma: Afternoon AY

daviss: makes you want to believe what our parents told us about walking to school through the rain and snow for miles lol

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

alt: oh Spivey on the 54th Mass.... they were recruited, mustered in and trained in the North... the were shipped to SC by boat, so there was no 'recruiting' on their way to James Isalnd, Honey Hill, Ft. Sumpter, etc.

AYWalton: Greetings, Ms. Selma, 3rd, alt, daviss, frances stephen, khathu, Spivey.

3rdthawkins: I have to go you guys, hard trying to juggle chatting and researching, may be in To nite

Spivey: Okay alt. Thanks for that information.

vkn: Indeed gives depth to our lives not flat, not surface but multi dimensional also connected alt and y'all. We all be kin!!!

Spivey: Bye 3rdthawkins.

vkn: okies 3rd

daviss: bye 3rd

3rdthawkins: bye

Selma: AY...interesting posting by Terry Ligon's on your message board

alt: Oops,he's gone.. was gonna tell that 'boy' to get his priorities straight LOL

vkn: Spivey did you find out any more details on those kin in PA ( what is surname)

Spivey: Kelsey vkn.

AYWalton: hope all is well with you, vkn.

Spivey: alt has given me some information today. I also found out from family that we do have kin in and around Lansing, Michigan vkn.

alt: migration.. anyone read "Warmth of Other Suns" bi Isabel Wilkerson on the migration North by AA's from 1914 to 1970?

vkn: right Kelsey I did a bit of searching and that would make for a good case study particularly since I found the only KELSEY in the nation appear to be fpoc and all in PA in 1860. AME church records are prolly very full. The migration to Georgia if that is the case is intriguing...

Selma: A friend is reading it now alt..spoke to her this AM..said it is great

alt: another 'whopper' Selma about 600 pages

Selma: Have we got all winter to read it.. LOL..I am putting it on my Xmas list for my kids

alt: Lol @ Selma

Spivey: At this point vkn, I can't tell whether the 'migration' was north to south or vice versa since the KELSEY family I am researching were slaves owned by the BRINSON family in Georgia. Perhaps some knowledge about the BRINSON family would tell me whether they, too, had connections with Michigan and Pennsylvania.

vkn: alt that writer did a story for Essence when brother Preston King was pardoned by Clinton. She was here at the Auburn Avenue Library on her book tour and fokes from Walton Lakes went. Enjoyable and emotional event.

alt: I saw her on C-Span's Q & A .. very good interview vkn

Selma: Alt..maybe the 54th didn't recruit out of the North, but I am looking at a list of men who enlisted in VA (specifically Southampton County)..they enlised at Ft. Monroe and credited to "Connecticut-at-large"

alt: okay Selma

vkn: So many of the residents where I live have MS SC AR roots with Chicago and surrounding landings alt

frances stephens: Spivey, your research is taking you to states where I have family connected to the Harvard line. Interesting, what other states would be researching.

Selma: They received $100 bounty and the remaing $200..would be paid in installments

vkn: and many of them had their own migrating stories to tell.

alt: the 54th got their recruits from where ever the could get them .. probabaly not enough AA men in Mass to form 2 fighting units the 54th & the 55th.

Spivey: My ADAMS, KELSEY, BRINSON and SPIVEY lines all have roots in Georgia frances stephens as far as my research shows. I have ancillary lines from South Carolina and Florida.

daviss: later folks

alt: Selma, my point wa that the 54th got to SC vai boats and didn't do any recruiting on that voyage.

vkn: AYW BJ told me that y'all spoke

Selma: Ok, ok.. Lol

AYWalton: yes, vkn, we had a nice chat. she is sending me the materials for the conference. Looking forward to getting everything, vkn.

alt: I mentioned a book to Spivey that has bio sketches on the men of the 54th .. Swamp Angels by Robert Ewell Greene.

AYWalton: will be there bright and early on Friday mornings with "stuff".

Selma: AY...I saw Terry Ligon's posting on Littlefield

Seventies Soulchild: Hello all

AYWalton: hello there, SoulChile.

Selma: You are manning the Afrigneas table AYWalton

Spivey: Hi Seventies Soulchild!

AYWalton: I will be there, with Ingrid, who will also be there. Oh, there she is. Howdy Ingrid, I just mentioned your name.

Selma: Afternoon 70's and Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey everyone. I'll be in and out, on help desk duty.

Seventies Soulchild: hello alt, AYWalton, frances, Ingrid, khathu, Selma, Spivey, & vkn

frances stephens: Well Spivey, I am looking at Edgefield County, SC for Gray. Harvards are in Miami, FL area, or thereabouts.

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: I will bring you over to the table too, Selma.

frances stephens: Hi Soulchild

Selma: Yes, I will sign up to do my turn AY...LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey SoulChild!

AYWalton: greetings, ryan.

Selma: Will AY have hats, and T-shirts vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Ryan!

Seventies Soulchild: hey ryan!

alt: hello Ryan

frances stephens: Spivey, there are a lot of Brinson's in Laurens County, Ga.

Selma: Afternoon ryan

Seventies Soulchild: how is your research coming along, ryan? Its been a long time since I've seen you in here.

ryan: Hi AY, Ingrid, 70s, alt, Selma, VKN.. (oh and Spivey) 70's been slow (been busy,) I poke around but nothing new (yet)

Seventies Soulchild: yeah... I understand that.

AYWalton: Selma were you referring to Terry's blog?

Selma: Yes...

ryan: Nice to meet you Frances if I have not seen you before

vkn: So Spivey not to mind effen we use the Kelsey name as migration case study in the near future. Prolly around the Holiday season. There are a bunch of KELSEY in Alabama and a serious Confederate Kelsey from my Alabama birth area. The name has me with a degree of intrigue

Selma: He has a link from the AA-Native message board

AYWalton: yes, it links to his blog. Littlefield was there and we had lunch with him the first day.

Spivey: What does a 'case study' involve vkn?

vkn: Howdy Ingrid and Seventies. Tried to reach you Ingrid

Seventies Soulchild: ryan, have you seen any of your relatives migrate out of the Delta area and into Arkansas?

Ingrid_Doweary: Howdy, Vkn. I'll touch base with you today.

vkn: Will send you a mail as the notion takes crystal and shape Spivey but would be migration related

ryan: yes - my grandma did... Many, Many went from the Mississippi Delta to the Arkansas Delta (Cotton to Rice and other crops)

Spivey: I will think about it after I receive your e-mail vkn. Thanks for the offer.

ryan: Mississippi, Crittenden, and Cross counties just to name a few

vkn: Howdy Ryan did not hear you enter

ryan: Hi VKN

Seventies Soulchild: ok I have one who did that worked for the railroad. Having a difficult time tracking him down.

alt: vkn, there is a Kelsey living in MI in the 1850 census .. he was born ca 1798 in PA... he has family in Macomb Co., MI in the 1860 census with children listed as born in Canada.... then the 1870 census seem to have an 'explosion' of Kelsey's in both the North (PA) and the South .

Spivey: Sorry, ryan, I didn't see you there. How are you today?

ryan: Hey Spivey (again) :)

Spivey: My bad ryan.

ryan: what part of the delta 70's ?

AYWalton: SoulChile, eastern Arkansas is part of the Delta.

Seventies Soulchild: He came up from Woodville (Wilkinson Co.) MS and went to Arkansas City, MS. The family we know ended up in Little Rock, AR

Ingrid_Doweary: Even though my weekend was spent visiting with relatives, I did get a chance to scan a bundle of my husband's family documents and photos. The 1941 Baltimore Afro-American newspaper article with my father-in-law was a hit.

Seventies Soulchild: But I can only find a WWI draft card for him and the details are sketchy at best.

ryan: yes - My dad was born in Memphis, but raised in the Arkansas Delta (just across the Mississippi) so I'm pretty familiar with the area.. I have an uncle in St Francis county (Forest City, Arkansas) also

AYWalton: About 30 minutes south of Little Rock, you begin to experience the culture and the "feel" of being in the Delta.

alt: wonderful Ingrid_Doweary... aricles & phots always seem to get the family excited.

ryan: Helena is in the Arkansas Delta on the river also

Seventies Soulchild: I went to Indianola once and .. wow!

alt: arilces=articles

ryan: Indianola?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Indianola. I forget what county its in, but man I was really green at that time. I was totally shocked at the living conditions. A real eye opener. I was all of 18 and 4 mos! lol

ryan: whats state?

Seventies Soulchild: Indianola, MS

ryan: Ah - Bingo.. I know Indianola, MS its in Leflore county

Seventies Soulchild: back in 1990 it was still a bit dangerous to travel to places like that. sad to say.

ryan: My mom is from, Greenwood (county seat) - yes Deeeeep in the Delta

vkn: Yes the name is most intriguing alt. Spivey the 'study' would not be specific to your family particularly. Just another research approach potential for clues to finding... So glad you introduced the situation. I have a similar situation with BENHAM and TOWNSEND....so stay tuned

Spivey: Okay vkn. Will do.

frances stephens: Ok, people, I must depart, Until another day.

Spivey: Whoa, it IS late isn't it?

AYWalton: Yes, I have to run, myself, folks.

vkn: oops it sure is

AYWalton: everyone have a great day.

Spivey: Bye

ryan: My bad, Indianola is the county west of Leflore (but still only like 10 miles from Greenwood)

vkn: Guess I was late to this party

ryan: Sunflower county

Ingrid_Doweary: So was I, Vkn.

Selma: I've got to run too...see you all this evening

alt: okay y'all .. a bit of trivia... what was the first State admitted to the Union where slavery or involuntary servitude was never legal?

Selma: Ok I will wait for the answer

ryan: Ohio

Ingrid_Doweary: Ryan, my paternal grandmother was born in Sunflower County, MS.

alt: bingo Ryan.. you win LOL

Selma: LOL...figures

ryan: I just guessed alt :)

Ingrid_Doweary: Good for you, Ryan.

Hollyweird: Hello Family

Seventies Soulchild: hey Holyweird!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Hollyweird .

ryan: Ingrid

Seventies Soulchild: LOL Hollyweird! my bad!

Spivey: Hi Hollyweird!

alt: OMG.. look who has graced us with his presence... hello Hollyweird

ryan: What surnames you got out of that county?

Hollyweird: Graced?

Seventies Soulchild: It pays to be late on certain days... lol

vkn: William in disguise lol Hollyweird

Spivey: William? Hollyweird? Can you tell more vkn?

Ingrid_Doweary: Hughes is the surname, Ryan.

alt: hello young fella.. congrats again with your youngsters and the fine track season the yhad.

Hollyweird: Thank Alt

Seventies Soulchild: lol wow alt! lol

vkn: Now Spivey not let my memory outshine you lol I am the eldest lol

ryan: ok - don't have a lot on my moms side - though I know they came out of Carollton (Caroll county) early 1900s, and went west to the next county Leflore - Greenwood.. No Hughes though

Seventies Soulchild: We're still working on the Finnish word BTW will.I.am :)

Spivey: William is a common name vkn and I don't remember anyone named Hollyweird.

vkn: Oops the tax fixer is here. Got to get the paperwork in fore the 15th see yall later

ryan: gotta run yall... catch ya later...

Spivey: Bye ryan. Bye everyone.

Hollyweird: So all is well in here I hope

Ingrid_Doweary: No problem, Ryan.

alt: Hey Hollyweird, you caught me as I was about to leave, but what's been happening with you?

Hollyweird: Been busy coaching. I'm at a private school now

alt: movin' on up LOL lOL lOL

Hollyweird: is definately Hollyweird at that school But some good kids that need to be "directed"

alt: naw, we ain't lettin no brutha do any directing LOL

Hollyweird: I got Wayans, Foxx,Jenner,A. Anderson and Cedric the entertainers kids there

Ingrid_Doweary: No directing for the Brothers?

Seventies Soulchild: oh wow!

Hollyweird: Yep Plus alot of "bergs"

alt: oh my... those upwardly mobile people of color and those other folks LOL

Hollyweird: lol Actaully the kids are responding well which is shocking the parents actually

Seventies Soulchild: That's a good thing. :)

Hollyweird: yes indeed All they needed was some attention

alt: probably just takes someone like you who remebers wereh they came from and is not caught up in the 'flash of show business"

Ingrid_Doweary: I agree that's encouraging.

Hollyweird: that's it alt I told them straight.. I'm broke more ways than a window in a car crash... and besides. IT"S YOUR PARENTS MONEY!

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: there you go Hollyweird ... so you show me what you can do and not their money, huh?

Ingrid_Doweary: There it IS!

Hollyweird: I am blessed to be making an impression on these kids

Seventies Soulchild: yep.. that's great. :)

alt: that is great!!!!!!

Hollyweird: And that's what has gotten the parents excited and on my side

Ingrid_Doweary: Youth need more effective adults like yourself.

alt: I knew you had it in ya ,,, boy LOL

Hollyweird: Ingrid_Doweary -thank you

Seventies Soulchild: Too bad you're not at a public school... :(

Ingrid_Doweary: You're welcome.

Hollyweird: Seventies Soulchild -that's why I volunteer

Ingrid_Doweary: I agree Seventies. Public schools get left out alot.

Hollyweird: been a volunteer track coach for 10 years

Seventies Soulchild: I had a similar conversation about this at lunch. We were talking about Waiting for Superman, the documentary.

Hollyweird: In LA you have to have teaching creds to coach

alt: hey Hollyweird, I may have some more Tuskegee Airmen 'stuff' are you still collecting?

Ingrid_Doweary: You volunteer with the public schools, Hollyweird?

Hollyweird: alt -Of course!

Ingrid_Doweary: Have you seen the film, Seventies?

alt: okay.. think I still have your 'land address'

Seventies Soulchild: Not yet... jury is still out on if I'm going to see it or not.

Hollyweird: Wow! Thank you Seventies Soulchild -see what?

Ingrid_Doweary: I was thinking the same. I appreciated the 2-day Education Nation Summit.

Seventies Soulchild: Waiting for Superman, a documentary about education in the US

Hollyweird: Ok

Seventies Soulchild: Khathu went to that as well. did you see him in B'More?

alt: Hey y'all.. I gotta run tkae care and Hollyweird keep in touch.

Seventies Soulchild: take care alt

Hollyweird: alt -bye BB

Seventies Soulchild: I'm thinking about hopping over to this library and looking at some of these genealogy periodicals.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Hollyweird, do any of these names, Veda Campbell or Ron Deveaux ring a bell for you?

Hollyweird: nope

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, thanks. Seventies I'm still working on the Civil War Ancestor.

Hollyweird: my router is acting up folks... I keeps wanting to drop me like I'm hot LOL

Seventies Soulchild: :) Have you been to the new location Ingrid?

Hollyweird: I have to reboot

Seventies Soulchild: ok

Ingrid_Doweary: No, I missed the opportunity this past Sat. Got the Descendants' Day announcement late.

Hollyweird: t get back in I want to wish you all a blessed day and 70's see you in FB

Seventies Soulchild: Yes 4 just kind of dropped in my lap Ingrid... lol ok later Hollyweird

Hollyweird: Ingrid_Doweary -adios

Ingrid_Doweary: Later Hollyweird

Seventies Soulchild: They sent me an e-mail about it, but I don't think I'll be getting to D.C. anytime soon.

Ingrid_Doweary: Understood. I contact you when the videos of the presentations are available.

Seventies Soulchild: I still don't have my video from the videographer... I'm a little heated.

Ingrid_Doweary: This past weekend was a 60th B-Day for my sister-in-law and my west coast brother-in-law arrived to attend.

Seventies Soulchild: Nice!

Ingrid_Doweary: Have you bee able to contact the videographer?

Seventies Soulchild: No

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry to hear that. You may have to contact Hari Jones to contact him.

Seventies Soulchild: I've already called them.. lol My family is waiting on this video... That's what's upsetting. I may just do my own video with my slides

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay. Good luck on that. I'm sure they are. I have some photos I took of your presentation. There it is. :)

Seventies Soulchild: Ooh... please post them on the Afrigeneas Leaders Lounge.... :) Thanks Ingrid!

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, will do.

Seventies Soulchild: I hope I didn't look too fat in the photos... :)

Ingrid_Doweary: Don't worry, Seventies. You look great!

Seventies Soulchild: thanks again Ingrid! :)

Ingrid_Doweary: You are quite welcome. :}

Seventies Soulchild: I hate to run, but I'm working and chatting... lol I need to get back to work... have a good afternoon.

Ingrid_Doweary: Great. You do the same. :)

*TuesNite

Start: 20:50:20
End: 22:31:36
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, deannie, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, Thompson, vkn

vkn: Good evening to all. Came in early to do a bit of janitoring. Will probably leave early because eyelids are already growing heavy Read a couple of interesting blogs by chance. You may want to check em out 1. http://tinyurl.com/3xlkvfn

Khathu: hello vkn

vkn: Howdy doody

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn and Khathu.

vkn: Howdy doody khathu U 2 Ingrid

Khathu: Hello Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: What's new?

vkn: Khathu I was surprised to hear you in chat speak of the application rejection. I thought you were in. What hoppen if I may ask. Comes as a shocker. All in my corner is old Ingrid lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay.

vkn: Ingrid can we pui you power point on line at AfriGeneas?

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu and vkn!

vkn: Howdy Doody Spivey

Spivey: Hi Seventies Soulchild.

Seventies Soulchild: Hello all!

vkn: Howdy Doody Thompson

Spivey: Hi Thompson!

Thompson: Hello All

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Thompson. That's one of the surnames I'm researching :)

Thompson: Hope you don't mind me joining you

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn, Khathu, Spivey, Ingrid_Doweary hi alt

Spivey: Is the given name Percola [called Pepsi] familiar to you Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: No

Khathu: Hello alt, Seventies, Spivey and Thompson

Spivey: Hi alt!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Spivey, Thompson, Seventies Soulchild and Alt.

vkn: Thompson not at all you are mighty welcome

Khathu: Seventies did you get my email

Spivey: Okay Seventies Soulchild. Her married surname was Thompson.

Khathu: khathu

alt: Hello All, Ingrid, Khathum 70's, Spivey, Thompson & vkn

Thompson: I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me with a brick wall

Khathu: jyst checking to see if my speakers were on

Seventies Soulchild: I haven't checked my mail all day today

Khathu: i sent it yesterday what is your brickwall thompson

Thompson: May I give some background first?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I read it and I thought it was on spot.

Khathu: absolutely

Spivey: Thompson, what and where is your brickwall?

vkn: Thompson by all means

Thompson: I am working with the U.S. Army trying to find living family of soldiers who were missing in action in past wars.......one of my soldiers was from Lincoln Co., KY

Seventies Soulchild: What war?

Thompson: Korean War

Thompson: The Army would like to re-establish contact with the family

Thompson: I know who the soldier's mother was, and his grandmother I even know who his great grandparents were.........but for the life of me, I can't find the parents of his grandmother.

Selma: Good evening everyone

Seventies Soulchild: What records have you looked at for the grandmother?

Thompson: In order to prove direct lineage, I need to know who the parents of his grandmother were.

Spivey: The parents of his great granparents Thompson?

Thompson: Just about everything that's available online

Seventies Soulchild: Ah .. ok

Thompson: parents of his grandmother Spivey

Seventies Soulchild: Have you tried pulling a DC for the grandmother from the state archives?

Spivey: Thompson, perhaps you can explain a bit more about what you do so we know why it's important to establish his lineage that far back?

Seventies Soulchild: What timeframe are we looking at here? late 1800's

Thompson: No, unfortunately research requests from their archives can take up to 8 weeks

Seventies Soulchild: Well, I mean are you in that much of a rush?

Thompson: Grandmother was born in 1885 Seventies......yes.......unfortunately we are given a specific amount of time to find family

Seventies Soulchild: So we about people who may have been born just after slavery.

Thompson: most probably I've found various death certificates for some of the family, but can't find anything to connect the grandmother

vkn: Thompson perhaps we might consider partnering with you to do that?

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Do you have a marriage certificate for the grandmother?

Thompson: How would that work vkn? I don't have a marriage cert but do know the date........ 9 Jan 1907

vkn: Howdy doody Sel

Seventies Soulchild: Do you have an extract of the marriage certificate?

alt: I would suggest you post all of your known informmation and your goal on the Brickwall Forum... unless there are some privacy issues.

Thompson: no unfortunately.....the marriage I picked up from USGenWEb for Lincoln co.

Seventies Soulchild: You're gonna need to go back to do some good old fashioned visiting the archives and library, IMO.

Selma: The grandmother was born in 1885, so her parents probably 1860's...why is it necessary to go that far back?

Thompson: Which could be difficult as I live in Wisconsin heh

vkn: Thompson Just talking from top of head. Send me an email re your long term [8 weeks needs] and I will give it some thought vkn@agrigeneas.com

Seventies Soulchild: Another insightful question. I'm under the impression that you are looking for living relatives. No?

Thompson: Selma, we are required to provide a family history showing lineage That's correct Seventies

Selma: The army wants this?

Thompson: Yes

Selma: If I might ask...for what?

alt: and this person iw.was MIA from Korea?

Thompson: There's a possibility that they may have recovered remains

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes Thompson, my niece's husband required the same information. to enlist.

Selma: Ah....

Thompson: That's correct alt

Selma: This person was black?

Thompson: and the Army uses DNA for identification That's correct Selma. I've spoken with a gentlemen in Lincoln Co., who says he's related, but unfortunately doesn't know how.

Seventies Soulchild: I would bill the gov't for the cost of expediting those records you may need from KY... New fiscal year just started Friday.. lol

alt: have you been in touch with Megan Smolenyak? She does this type of DNA genealogy.

Thompson: LOL Seventies

Spivey: May we have the name of the person you're seeking to identify Thompson?

Thompson: alt........I've been doing it for 10 years too

alt: and she works with DOD...

vkn: Thompson addy correction send to forum@afrigeneas.net if you are interested to pursue

Thompson: Spivey, you mean the soldier?

Seventies Soulchild: Start with the name of the grandmother who's parent's you're trying to locate

Spivey: Yes please Thompson. Where was he born? Where did he live?

Thompson: The grandmother is Lucy Goode Thurmond/Thurman/Thurmon, aka Mary L. Thurmond, etc.

Selma: Grandmother born in 1885 married in 1907

Thompson: Lucy married Will Goode

alt: hello deannie

Seventies Soulchild: in what state Thompson?

Selma: What state did she marry...

Thompson: Lincoln Co., KY

deannie: Evening everyone

Seventies Soulchild: hi deannie

Spivey: Hi deannie!

Khathu: hello deannie

vkn: Howdy Deannie

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey deannie.

Thompson: The family seems to stay in the Stanford area. Hi Deannie

Seventies Soulchild: Anyone have access to proquest from home?

deannie: Not here

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm going to quickly look on some sites to find out what the surrounding counties are... brb

Thompson: thank you Seventies

Spivey: Thompson, what resources have you used in your search? Ancestry, ProQuest, FamilySearch?

Thompson: Ancestry, FamilySearch, USGenWeb, Cyndi's List, you name it.....I've been working this case for months. although I don't have access to proquest

Ingrid_Doweary: How would ProQuest be helpful, Seventies. ?

alt: wouldn't information on 'living people' be too current to be found on genealogical research sites?

Spivey: Okay. Sorry, I won't be able to help you then. I only have Ancestry as a paid provider.

Seventies Soulchild: Thought maybe there would be some add'l records there Ingrid_Doweary

Selma: Is Lucy living with her grandparents in 1900..Robert and Ellen

Thompson: alt.......first I have to know who the living people are. Richard and Ellen.....

Seventies Soulchild: We are looking for the parents of Mary Lucy Thurmond Goode...

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, I was going to see if I had access from work.

alt: but doesn't genealogy work from the present back?

Spivey: If Lucy/Mary Thurmond was born in 1885, she might be in the records alt.

Ingrid_Doweary: That's is my understanding, also, Alt.

Thompson: I even know that my soldier had a half sister, but unfortunately she is deceased

Seventies Soulchild: what about her children? Any hits on the sisters obit?

Spivey: Thompson, have you used a service [free] called people411.com?

Seventies Soulchild: or intelius.com??

Thompson: yes, but that doesnt' help if I don't have a name

alt: or zabasearch?

Seventies Soulchild: So you don't know the half sisters name?

Thompson: yes, but found her in the death index for ky and couldn't find a marriage for her

Seventies Soulchild: What about city directory or public directory listings?

Spivey: People411 gives you names of 'related' individuals Thompson even though they may not be living in the same state.

vkn: Glad you joined us this evening Thompson, Come again. Niters all

Seventies Soulchild: nite vkn

alt: MIA in Korea.. that's possibly 60 years ago

Thompson: Spivey that would be great, but first I have to have some kind of name to go oops....... some kind of name to go by

Spivey: Thompson, try Lucy Good Thurman first. It will give you some indication of who her relatives are if she's listed there.

Thompson: in other words, I need to know the name of a possible living family member before I can contact them

alt: so we would have to construct his famliy from the era of the Korean War and come forward?

Thompson: that's right alt

Selma: There is another child in the house with Lucy and her grandparents...have you tried to track her thompson?

alt: and how would going back genealogically do this for us?

Thompson: I know Lucy was still alive in 1952 when her husband Will died Selma, let me look at my notes......I'm sure I did

Spivey: Living where Thompson?

Thompson: Selma, May J. Thurman, born Oct 1887 in 1900 census for lincoln co.......

Khathu: goodnight everyone

Thompson: I haven't been able to find anything on her I don't want to hog the chat.....

Selma: Lucy and the soldier married when? or did I miss that

Thompson: soldier wasn't married

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm in Heritage Quest by way of my public library. http://persi.heritagequestonline.com/hqoweb/library/do/persi/results/articles

Thompson: Lucy is grandmother of the soldier

Selma: OK..sorry...late I got confused.. LOL..

Seventies Soulchild: So you're going to try to do DNA based on maternal lineage?

Thompson: and apparently i can't look while in chat........

Seventies Soulchild: Well the Army

Thompson: that's correct Ingrid, what does it say in Heritage?

Spivey: Thompson, what are some of the other surnames associated with Lucy Goode Thurman and May Thurman? Besides Thurman?

Thompson: I can't seem to connect via the chat Goode was the maiden name of the soldier's mother who was Mary E. Goode

AYWalton: Good evening all.

Spivey: Hi AYWalton!

alt: hello AYWalton

deannie: Hi AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: Ah now I understand why you need to track down Lucy Goode's parents

AYWalton: hi Spivey, hello alt, deannie, Ingrid, Ms. Selma, SoulChile, Thompson. I hope you are all well.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY.

deannie: Yes, and youj

Selma: Evening AY

Seventies Soulchild: Particularly her mother. Could she be living somewhere in the neighborhood?

Ingrid_Doweary: Thompson, see if this link will be helpful. http://tinyurl.com/24nu3vk

Spivey: Ingrid, we can't access Heritage Quest even when you put up the link to the information you are using. At least, I can't.

Thompson: nope, sure can't........wants a login Hi AYWalton

AYWalton: hello Thompson.

Seventies Soulchild: Yep

Spivey: Can you copy and paste the information from there Ingrid_Doweary?

Thompson: silly pop-up blockers......grrr

Ingrid_Doweary: I didn't have any luck with that, Spivey. Thompson can you tell which is the nearest National Archives and Records Administration regional facility near you?

Thompson: I'd have to look that up..........probably over 300 miles away

Selma: Have you checked the area black newspapers for that time frame, which might have had an article about him being missing and his family

Ingrid_Doweary: Which state are you in if I may ask?

Thompson: I'm in northern Wisconsin:}

deannie: Are you near Chicago

Thompson: Selma, I hadn't even thought of the newspapers until late this afternoon when brainstorming with a collegue Chicago = 300+ miles

Spivey: Thompson, perhaps you can answer a question for me that is somewhat off topic.

deannie: Ooop

Thompson: :D

Seventies Soulchild: Is there one in Milwaukee?

Thompson: I'll try Spivey

Ingrid_Doweary: That used to be a 2 hour drive, Thompson. Let me check the archives website

Thompson: LOL, Milw is 250 miles south of me

Selma: My local newspaper, who didn't run to many articles about black folk generally during that time frame...did have articles about black soldiers servingin Korea

alt: if he were MIA in Korea.. wouldn't the local newspapers have some inforamtion on him and his family as of that time period?

Spivey: My uncle was killed in the Korean War. When my grandmother died, the chest containing his awards and the flag that draped his coffin disappeared. Is it possible for me, just a niece, to get copies of his service medals?

Thompson: Selma, I'm going to call tomorrow and see if there's a newspaper down there that might have something

alt: how long have you been working this particular case Thompson?

Thompson: Spivey, you might be able to.....

Ingrid_Doweary: Thompson, see if you can locate a region facility site near you from this National Archives web page. http://www.archives.gov/locations/states.html#IL

Thompson: Ah.......I think about 4 or 5 months.......its been so long I've forgotten!!

alt: okay, I see thanks

Spivey: How, may I ask Thompson, do I go about getting a copy?

Thompson: Spivey, you might be able to contact the National Archives for his service record Check out the National Archives site......I believe there's a link there that tells you what is required. Or at least there used to be......

Selma: When the soldier disappears in 1952..the Army must have contacted someone? Are there records for that

Thompson: Yes, I have what the Army gave me ........

Ingrid_Doweary: Also the Baltimore Afro-American Newspaper goes as far back as 1892. There was a Capitol Edition which published news across the U.S.

alt: How/When did the Army (?) come upon the remains of this soldier? and when did the verification process with the Armay start Thompson?

Thompson: I know that his mother died in OH alt they don't tell us when they found the remains if they have there's been a number of recovery trips into North Korea by recovery teams

alt: I see so he is/was thought to have been a POW if remains came from North Korea?

Spivey: Then it's possible, Thompson, that you may have to search in Ohio as well. You are looking for his grandmother correct?

Thompson: alt, there were many battles during the Korean War where our troops were overun some of the recovery efforts have been done in those areas

alt: overun .. in North Korea?

Thompson: yes

alt: really

Seventies Soulchild: ok its past my bedtime... lol Goodnight all

Thompson: So you can imagine that after this many years, any remains that may have been found are going to be difficult to identify

Spivey: Isn't it likely that U.S. soldiers crossed over into North Korea? Haven't the North Koreans been returning remains to the U.S.? At least I thought I read that somewhere.

Selma: When you say this soldier's mom died in Ohio..do you have an obituary?

Thompson: Those of you who are still here, please pass on my thanks to those who have already left for allowing me to chat this long

AYWalton: you are more than welcome, Thompson.

Selma: No problem Thompson..interesting discussion

Thompson: Spivey, they may have turned over some remains on their own

Spivey: Look above, Thompson. This chat session belongs to you.

Thompson: Oh my!

Ingrid_Doweary: :}

Spivey: Yes, I believe they did Thompson. Some are still being discovered after these many years is my understanding.

Thompson: I don't have an obit on soldier's mom.........couldn't find one

Selma: Where did she die in Ohio Thompson

alt: you have her name and death date/location in Ohio?

Thompson: Yes

Spivey: The grandmother you seek may have been in Ohio as well, Thompson. Have you extended your search for her there?

Thompson: Spivey, yes I did look for grandmother there.....didn't find anything

Spivey: Oh man.

alt: Ancestry has death information for Ohio from 1907 up to 2007

Thompson: Mother died in apparently a nursing home in Hamilton Co., OH on 2 aug 1996 said she was divorced

alt: that late, huh.. those DC's usually have parents surname of the deceased

Thompson: and that her father was a Goode and her mother a Thurman

alt: and would her suranme be the same as her son's?

Thompson: ah no

Spivey: So, Thompson, you're searching for the mother of Lucy Goode Thurman. Lucy was born about 1885 in Kentucky. She died in Ohio did you say?

Thompson: the son carried the surname of his biological father

alt: her married name was not the surname for her son?

Thompson: Mary Goode died in OH, she was a daughter of Lucy Thurman Goode I assume Lucy died in Lincoln Co., KY, but haven't found a death record for her and yes, I'm looking for the parents of Lucy Thurman Goode which if I can find them, may lead me to her siblings, if any, which would clear up the line of descent.

alt: that should be fairly easily obtained from census records, right.. or am I wrong ... again LOL

Selma: Did Mary Goode have any other children?

Thompson: alt, the father and mother of the soldier were not married Selma, she had a daughter by Unknown Reynolds......daughter is deceased

Selma: OK

alt: but Reynolds is not the father of soldier right?

Thompson: Somewhat confusing isn't it? :)

Spivey: What was the soldier's name again Thompson?

Thompson: soldier's name was Richard D. McCowan/Mccowan ack! make that a "c" not a "d"

Spivey: And Mary Goode was his mother?

alt: and he enlisted or was drafted from where?

Thompson: correct enlisted 15 july 1950

Ingrid_Doweary: Richard C. McCowan/Mccowan? Did you say you say you had a draft card for the soldier, Thompson?

Thompson: probably enlisted at Ft Knox no draft card

Spivey: What was the year he went missing in action Thompson?

Thompson: reading from army documents sent to me declared missing 12 Feb 1951

alt: and he was in action North of the 38th parallel?

Ingrid_Doweary: How long ago did you receive the Army documents? I asked because the 60th anniversary was within the past 2 months. Or maybe in July 2010.

Thompson: the papers just say Korea and I got the case sometime in May

alt: but the assumption was he was in North Korea, that's where you stated the remains came from.

Thompson: I've been working with the Army for 10 years.......and as time goes on, the cases become more and more difficult.

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow. Sorry to get off topic. It seems like the records were recently declassified. Am I right, Alt?

Thompson: Not necessarily Ingrid.....

alt: you could be right about that Ingrid_Doweary , I really don't know

Thompson: Recovery efforts have been going on since the late 1990's

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay.

Selma: Interesting discussion ...have to go...Good night..I would check out newspapers Thompson...looking for obits

Thompson: and it takes time to process things and then come up with who might have been in a specific area and declared missing.

Ingrid_Doweary: Nite Selma.

Thompson: darn, I keep missing everyone

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah, that makes sense.

Spivey: We all do Thompson, don't feel bad. LOL.

Thompson: hee

alt: it is late,,, again Thompson, I suggest you post what you can on the Brickwall Forum.. more eyes to look over what you have and more time to digest your information.

Spivey: People here say bye and they are gone!

Thompson: So I've seen.....lol

Ingrid_Doweary: lol

Thompson: is the brickwall forum on this site?

Spivey: There is one here Thompson. There usually are brick wall forums on genealogy sites like this one.

alt: yes, www.afrigeneas.com and on the front page click the dropdown for Forums

Thompson: ahhh ok

Ingrid_Doweary: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-brickwall/

alt: ty Ingrid_Doweary

Spivey: Have you tried any other sites Thompson?

Ingrid_Doweary: YW, Alt.

Thompson: forum sites you mean?

Spivey: Yes Thompson, like this one. With message boards, chat rooms, etc.

Thompson: to be honest, no i haven't been so involved with working on the case, just never thought of it until I found this site today

Spivey: With the deadline you're working under, you must might want to spread out a bit. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

AYWalton: Well folks, I have to step out quietly. Working on my power point for the conference on Saturday. have a good evening everyone.

alt: this is new to me Thompson, may I ask why a deadline? is this some type of 'contract' work?

Spivey: Goodnight AYWalton.

AYWalton: goodnight to all.

Ingrid_Doweary: Nite

Thompson: yes alt

Ingrid_Doweary: See how slow I am.

Thompson: and another one is missed

alt: contract work?

Thompson: Again, my thanks to you all

Ingrid_Doweary: YW

Thompson: I must stop for the day........been working on this for about 9 straight hours so eyes and brain are getting fried

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes time to rest.

alt: okay Thompson , good luck and nice meeting you

Spivey: You're welcome Thompson. Goodnight.

Thompson: It's been a pleasure to chat with you all.

Spivey: Same here Thompson.

Thompson: Good night.

Ingrid_Doweary: Same here Nite

deannie: I have to run...

Ingrid_Doweary: Nite All

Spivey: I'm leaving too Ingrid_Doweary. Maybe I'll see you in the other room.

Ingrid_Doweary: Maybe.

Spivey: Goodnight.

Ingrid_Doweary: a Cya

Spivey: Okay.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy