Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-10-04

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:32
End: 13:12:50
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey

Khathu: hello alt

alt: Hi Khathu , how goes it?

Khathu: it is going well and with you

alt: Hello Spivey

Spivey: Hi alt and Khathu!

Khathu: Hello Spivey

alt: doing great Khathu.. just updating my away LOL

Khathu: alt - i included you on my reply to the historian of the SRT let me know what you think

alt: thanks Khathu, I would like to hear what they have to say... wishing you the best.

Khathu: at this point it really doesn't matter to me

alt: don't let them get you down.... work at it, as tactfully as possible. as they say .. Keep your eye on the prize....

Khathu: i have bigger fish to fry

alt: fry away then LOL

Khathu: i'm already heating up the oil...lol

alt: good man!!!! I' m working on some stuff that is new to me... Methodist Episcopal, South.... didn't realize this church had a large AA component during slavery and in the south. had y'all heard of this denomination of the Methodist church?

Spivey: Yes I had alt, but don't know much about it.

Khathu: yes i have alt

alt: I wasn't aware of it's significance in my family history until last week

Khathu: okay. Hello Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon Lunch Bunch

Spivey: Hi Seventies Soulchild!

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: hi Khathu, Spivey alt!

Spivey: There was a Methodist Episcopal church here in Queens, New York alt. I attended a couple of times with friends. It was, of course, located in an all-Black neighborhood.

alt: hello Selma

Spivey: Hi Selma!

Khathu: Hello Selma

Selma: Afternoon alt, khathu, seventies and spivey

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

Spivey: Very few people attended alt but that may have been because the majority of people in the neighborhood were Southern Baptists and there were three Baptists churches in the same vicinity.

alt: okay Spivey,,, I'm talking about the Methodist Episcopal, South prior to the end of slavery...

Spivey: I understand alt. I'm just pointing out that there was a Methodist Episcopal church here in Jamaica, Queens as well. That entire neighborhood was peopled by 'homies' from the South, mainly Georgia.

alt: I've got a lot of reading to do on the church.. as well as what Selma is laying on me LOL

Seventies Soulchild: alt you're talking about the 1850's?

alt: and prior to that Seventies Soulchild

Spivey: I suppose you do alt especially since there was obviously a spread of the religion along with migration of people from the South.

Seventies Soulchild: ok I ask because the little bit I do know about the Methodist church... lol ... is that Richard Allen founded the AME in the early 1800's So I would presume that would be the dominant Methodist church in the black community.

alt: this is separate from the A.M.E. of Richard Allen founded in 1786 in Philadelphia Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Ok See I know a 'little' about it... lol

alt: of the United Methodist, Zion Methodist, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: So the Methodists, I'm assuming here, were more friendly to 'integrated' churches, right?

alt: Duke University is a church school from the Methodist Episcopal, South denomination

Seventies Soulchild: ok

Selma: Where were you folks involved with the Methodist Episcopal church alt

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Ingrid_Doweary

alt: hello Ingrid

Selma: Hi INgrid

Spivey: Hi Ingrid Doweary!

alt: the great-great grandfather mentioned in the Obit last week was ordained in the ME, south in 1846 Selma and he was a slave

Khathu: Hello Ingrid

Selma: Interesting

alt: in Shelbyville, Ky was where he was ordained... he later came into Ohio and joined the A.M.E. church ..founding a church in Harveysburg, Ohio in 1875.

Selma: Speaking of Duke University..in Nov they will be having a symposium on the 75th Anniversary of the publication of DuBois' book Black Reconstruction in America

Seventies Soulchild: Ok sometime ago an interested party asked "What happened to all the slave vessels that transported blacks from Africa to America? Recently a ship was found under the land where the WTC once stood.

alt: okay Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Here is an updated article on this find. http://tinyurl.com/2asjnvw Sorry to switch the subject, but this IMO was a good question.

Selma: Did others in his congregation also come from the ME church first alt..or you don't know Yet

alt: no problem Seventies Soulchild, I'm sure slave ships could have been on the Hudson, as Selma has shown me they came up the James river into richmond VA in the mid to late 1600's no Selma, there was already a rather large number of A.M.E. church in Ohio by the 1870's

Khathu: seventies a lot of the ships were destroyed after a few voyages

alt: we have A.M.E. roots dating back to 1824 in Ohio.

Selma: Does Duke have the records for this denomination alt?

alt: what do y'all think of Geder's discussion on 'modernizing' genealogy software package to include blended families, ethnicities, and same-sex marriages?

Selma: What about "invitro"

alt: yes, I believe so Selma... google Methodist Episcopal South + Duke he hasn't gone there yet Selma

Selma: In 100 years don't think this research..will quite be the same

alt: but you can already do most of what he is talking about through "Fact Type(s)" and Sentence Template structure in Roots Magic and I'm sure other programs as well

Selma: Will you be writing to Duke for possible info alt?

alt: I doubt it Selma, I'm concentrating on the Kentucky Conference right now. but I may be doing some 'googling' :)

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

alt: Khathu.. take a look at www.ogs.org and their lineage societies to see how their 'qualifiers' match up to the SRT.

Selma: Afternoon AY

Spivey: Hi AYWalton!

AYWalton: Howdy alt, khathu, Ms. Selma, SoulChile, Spivey. hope everyone is doing well.

Seventies Soulchild: hello AYWalton Yep.. getting ready to buy another pair of shoes... :)

alt: tolerable here :}

Spivey: Yes thank you for asking AYWalton. How are you doing?

AYWalton: khathu have you heard anything from your application to the Texas lineage society? doing well, thanks Spivey. gee don't everybody talk at the same time, now. folks must be multi-tasking big time, today!

alt: speaking of OGS we just opened a new Library & Archive Center in Bellville, OH just outside of Mansfield, Ohio. again, www.ogs.org

Selma: Is that close or far from you alt?

AYWalton: did an older facility close or move, alt?

alt: about the same distance as Ft. Wayne Selma 2- 2 1/2 hrs. drive

AYWalton: will this be the official archives for the state, alt?

alt: just built a new, larger facility AYWalton

AYWalton: sounds nice. what is the capital, and is this new site near the capital?

alt: it is for OGS AYWalton, which boast as being the largest State genealogy society in the country.

AYWalton: oh ok, I see. hello khathu. there you are.

Selma: They obvisously have CASH..alt

Khathu: the application was unrejected

AYWalton: Un-rejected?

Khathu: rejected

Selma: Is that a word?

alt: Capial is in Columbus, OH bout 1 hr. drive from Cols. to the new OGS Library.

AYWalton: so it was rejected? and did they say why?

Khathu: i am multi-tasking

alt: no, the OGS has always been headquartered in the Mansfield, OH area since it's inception ca 1970's

Seventies Soulchild: Speaking of libraries. That Allen County Library sounds GREAT!

Khathu: it was some bogus reasoning

AYWalton: get outta here!!! I know your research was sound.

Khathu: such as is Juliett, Julie and Julia the same person

Seventies Soulchild: oops we've moved on to another subject.... :?

AYWalton: the nature of the chat, SoulChile. :)

Selma: You gotta be quick in this room seventies

AYWalton: which group were you applying to officially, khathu?

Seventies Soulchild: lol I forgot...

Khathu: I am challenging the decision.

alt: that's a legit question Khathu, but you answered it thoroughly that yes, it is the same person.

Khathu: Sons of the Republic of Texas

AYWalton: Looking at their page and it says a male is a direct lineal descendant of a resident of the Republic of Texas prior to 1846 is eligible for membership with the appropriate SRT membership application etc. Perhaps they don't consider those who were enslaved, to have been "citizens".

Khathu: clearly Julie and Julia are nicknames and diminutives of Juliett the same as Beth, Betsy, Betty, Liz, Liza, Lizzie are for Elizabeth

alt: Seventies Soulchild .. the ACPL is a great facility... this is where the IBGS held most of it's sessions.

Seventies Soulchild: I saw some National Genealogy books online that I would love to get my hands on.

Khathu: the enslaved ancestor was not the issue. the issue is i do not have a document dated before february 1846 that actually list the name of my ancestors AYWalton - I will forward you my response to the SRT Historian

AYWalton: I see.....so their way of excluding people descended from the enslaved is to find a document showing their name---when slaves were rarely mentioned except in estate sales or inventories. Very interesting. You should blog about that.

Seventies Soulchild: Right that was my view...

Khathu: i am already working on the blog

AYWalton: Very interesting!

Khathu: and not all inventories list the name of the enslaved.

AYWalton: I look forward to seeing your response to the SRT historian. quite true.

Khathu: i am forwarding you a copy of it now another issue is that they have only a historian reviewing the application

AYWalton: ok, thanks.

Khathu: they also need a genealogist to review the applications as well i just sent you my reply

AYWalton: I shall check my email.

Seventies Soulchild: well its time for me to get onto work. Y'all have a great, warm and dry afternoon. :)

AYWalton: hasn't hit yet, but I shall keep my eyes open for it, khathu.

Selma: Interesting Khathu...only a historian

AYWalton: I shall run, you all have a great day.

Khathu: the first document which list my ancestors by name is the inventory of Anna Whitaker dated 1854. Her husband's inventory which was dated 1848 did not list the slaves by name Yes, very interesting indeed Selma

Spivey: Bye everyone.

Selma: It would be interested to see the applications of others who were admitted

Khathu: there are very few AA who are members. In addition, they don't use GSP when reviewing applications. They want only document for each generation to substantiate lineage which is virtually impossible

alt: that's why ogs has a review board... and these are genealogists.

Khathu: They cite that the 1860-1870 Censuses can be used although they don't mention relationships

Selma: Ummm You could be anyone living in the house

alt: census priot to 1880 can be used along with 'other' supporting evidence

Khathu: exactly

Selma: I see having a historian...but for a lineage organization I think you would need genealogists who know what the heck they are doing

Khathu: and for individuals with enslaved ancestors it is very difficult to prove kinship with just document

alt: if a dc has for example a birth date 7 parents that predate 1880 that would work with the 1870 census.

Khathu: exactly

alt: birth date & parents and if names are different then nicknames, spellings and all of the other good stuff come into play

Selma: Folks I have to run too..have a great day

Khathu: have a good one alt

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy