Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-10-03

*SunMornBrnch

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:12:19
End: 13:00:58
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, jhonora, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey

Khathu: Hello Seventies so whats new

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Khathu! I went on Google books last night and found an Alabama supreme court case with the estate of Tom Smith and Baxter Smith Very interesting

Khathu: and who are they?

Seventies Soulchild: LOL Ok this is going to be a bit complicated. Tom Smith was 'married' to Charity Smith & Charity Smith

Khathu: give me the quick version

Seventies Soulchild: Charity 1 is my ancestor b. 1788 Ok quick version. Tom, Charity & Charity were all slaves of Baxter Smith They were all freed by Smith in 1825 There was a dispute in Tom's estate regarding his children in 1852 about who should get the land

Khathu: cool...i wasn't aware that you had ancestors freed prior to 1863 thats fantastic

Seventies Soulchild: In the end, Charity1's descendants got the land, but the case is fascinating Me either up until last yr.

Khathu: so the quick version is the slave holding family of my ancestor Charity

Seventies Soulchild: Yes the state actually sued to keep the children enslaved and the property for themselves. But the county's ruling that the land belonged to the offsprings held up ONLY because the original slave owner Baxter Smith & his 'adopted son' Bart Smith willed it. But the state was arguing that the 1. slaves could not enter into legal marriages & the children therefore were not legitimate offsprings/heirs to Free Tom's property

jhonora: Morning All!

Seventies Soulchild: I also found a couple of books that referenced Charles and Charity Rounds. Thought that was nice. Not too much on them though. The case went before the Alabama Supreme Court in 1854

jhonora: 70s, what county of Alabama?

Khathu: wow....that is fantastic

Seventies Soulchild: Dallas County, Alabama

Khathu: Now Seventies you know when doing slave era research the focus is on the slave holding family

Seventies Soulchild: Well now Khathu, you know my cousin Margaret Gonzalez did the research on this and we talked extensively about all of this. Yes she did do research on the slaveholding family and she knows a lot about them. Me I couldn't care less! lol I'm pushing her to write a book from our perspective as a descendants of Baxter Smith's slaves.

Khathu: unfortunately in order to be successful in researching our enslaved ancestors we need to know as much about them

Seventies Soulchild: I'm a direct descendant of Charity1's daughters, Harriet.

Khathu: it is not a choice

jhonora: Many people don't care to do the research on the "other family" (owners) but we have to when doing slave research.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh I agree, but she's done the research & there's no reason to rehash her extensive 25 yrs of research. She got in early before the older people died and she worked with the Selma Librarians and court clerks. Hello Selma

Selma: Good Sunday morning everyone

Khathu: but you still need to analysis her research

Selma: Seventies..it doesn't matter whether you care about them or not....they are the one's generating the records..

Seventies Soulchild: Right, but this is not my research. . . I'm just not going to rehash her work. I think she's a trusted source for many reasons. We're related my gg grandmother and her grandmother were sisters. We still have the land that was in dispute way back in 1854. So I mean its relevant, but ah, not that big of an issue for me.

Selma: Khathu..I am going to try to get to Norfolk this week (or next week) before the AAHGS Conference, to look at something for someone else..if you want me to check on the marriages can you send me the names again

Seventies Soulchild: I thought that the court findings were interesting and highlighted an interesting perspective in history back then

Khathu: Will do Selma

Selma: Nothing like folks fighting in court to generate lots of records

Khathu: have a great day everyone....

Selma: Is it something we said jhonora... LOL'

jhonora: Selma, we've brought the L'Hermitage folks to 1850s I hope 70s didn't think anyone was questioning her research.

Selma: I wasn't for sure What year do they get to LA

jhonora: 1825.

Selma: Is the plan to try to find descendants?

jhonora: Yes, if we can.

Selma: They are catholic

jhonora: Well, it's kind of funny. They left a wealthy French Catholic colony. Went to German Protestant Maryland. Then came to French Catholic South Louisiana, only to be owned by a northern Irish Presbyterian.

Selma: Maryland had a large Catholic population

jhonora: Yes, the second largest to the Gulf Coast, but they were in Frederick Co., which is somewhat less Cath. I'm looking into whether they had slaves baptized.

Selma: Thats what I was wondering about No luck on finding them in 1860?

jhonora: No, not yet. Last trace was in a legal separation between husb/wife.

Selma: Umm... Any kids? \What allows a legal separation in that timeframe

jhonora: The girl Fillette who came from St. Domingue with them, was sold to La. with her kids Jane, Mary, Nicholas, and John. Also sold was a Manuel and Molly and their kids.

Spivey: Hi jhonora and Selma!

jhonora: Hello Spivey!

Selma: Morning spivey

Spivey: How are you both today?

jhonora: Doing fine, Spivey.

Selma: Chatting and babysitting spivey

Spivey: What a combination Selma. I used to have to let them type a few words. LOL. They're older now thank goodness. Hi alt!

alt: hello jhonora Selam & spivey Selma

jhonora: Morning alt!

Selma: Hi alt

alt: catching up with the L'Hermitage story jhonora

jhonora: Good alt. Interesting story.

alt: fascinating

jhonora: For our assoc.'s conf., the member's reception will be along Bayou St. Jean in antebellum clothes. Should be fun.

Selma: You wearing spats

alt: should be jhonora, will you be speaking in 'period dialect

jhonora: I'll try to put on my best Southern/creole accent. It's not so bad for us menfolks, but seeing the ladies running around trying to buy hoop skirts is funny. The home on the bayou, Pitot House, was owned by grandmother of black inventor Norbert Rillieux.

Selma: Will you take pictures and post

jhonora: Yes, I'll do that. Also some from our Sunday Jazz Brunch. Welcome back 70s

Seventies Soulchild: Hello all! alt, jhonora, Selma, Spivey Thanks jhonora

AYWalton: Good morning, all. howdy alt, Ms. Sema, SoulChile, Spivey.

Seventies Soulchild: Hey AYWalton!

AYWalton: Hey hey hey, it's honoray! howdy Jhonora!

Seventies Soulchild: Anyone know anything about Dauphin Island, AL?

alt: not me

jhonora: Yes, 70s, very nice place and dear people The Faustinas, Collins, Treniers, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: I made contact with someone on Ancestry yesterday who is researching the Ladnier's, could be a corruption of the name, from that area as well as into New Orleans

jhonora: There is a book on the Ladniers. Some have chosen to become Ladners, why I will never know. Many of them near Biloxi

Seventies Soulchild: couldn't type had to refresh...

jhonora: Thr book is The Ladnier Odyssey.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok, I will refer this person to the book. Thanks jhonora.

jhonora: Dauphin Islanders are known for clannishness.

Seventies Soulchild: They had saved a common record to their tree.

jhonora: If you're from past New Orleans, you might as well not even try to marry someone from "the Island."

Seventies Soulchild: :D That's not good. That's how genetic disorders get started by inbreeding... lol

AYWalton: jhonra, while in Ark/Okla last week,I got a chance to talk to the old Benedictine principal of the parish school that I attended. She provided lots of good info on the history of the parish as well. Turns out it (the parish) was considered a mission of the Holy Ghost fathers. jhonora, (sorry I mis-spelled your name.)

jhonora: Great, AY. Have you gotten much infor from HG hq in Penns.?

AYWalton: Selma are you staying at the Marriott or staying with your son in Silver Spring, next weekend. not as yet. I shall be contacting them soon, though.

Selma: Marriott

jhonora: Also, I think its Marquette that has the old colored mission reports. Good source also.

Seventies Soulchild: Enjoy the ammenities Selma :)

AYWalton: are you arriving on Thursday? I will be there, on Friday, and manning the AfriGeneas table part of the time. when do you, present, Selma? Friday or Saturday? Selma is probably multi-tasking.

Seventies Soulchild: ok y'all I've got to run. Didn't realize the hour. Have a great Sunday.

AYWalton: jhonora where are you presenting next?

jhonora: On Oct. 12, 16, and 28.

AYWalton: Wow you ARE a busy soul!

Selma: Yes..babysitting, making jelly sandwiches...

AYWalton: plus trying to be a student too!

Selma: I present on Friday

alt: i want peanut butter on mine Selma lol

Selma: Ran out of peanut butter... LOL

alt: hehehe

Spivey: lol

Selma: Gotta find my AfriGenas button.. Oops should have ordered my T'Shirt and hat.

jhonora: AY, our association conf. is 15-17

alt: i'll send you a couple of buttons if you like Selma

Selma: Nah thats OK

alt: okay

AYWalton: I might have some there---I have to see if VKN is sending me some. I have a few of the old ones around, and shall try to bring, Selma! where will the conference take place, jhonora?

jhonora: Oct. 15 - Members' Reception & Annual Meeting at Pitot House on Bayou St. Jean; Oct. 16 - Sessions at Xavier Univ.; Oct. 17 - Jazz Brunch & Awards Presentation at Xavier Univ.

AYWalton: sounds like a nice event. How many are you expecting?

jhonora: Between 140 and 200. Hopefully more!

AYWalton: That is excellent! Are most of the folks living in New Orleans?

jhonora: About half in N.O. and half out-of-town.

AYWalton: is October a standard time for the gathering?

jhonora: Yes, we do it after hurricane season

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

alt: does the AAHGS now have a 'full slate' of speakers? at one time their schedule had some 'holes' in it.

AYWalton: good question, alt, I have not checked to see if it was full. (checking now.)

alt: anyone going to enter the AfriGeneas contest on their 'first home'?

Spivey: I'm not Alt.

AYWalton: There might still be some holes in it alt, unless they have just not updated the website.

alt: okay, been reading some of the early entry's... makes for some good reading on how some of our folks grew up.

Spivey: Yes, it does alt.

jhonora: Didn't know about contest?/

AYWalton: the entries that I have read so far are wonderful. I have enjoyed reading them. check out the main message board, for the challenge, jhonora.

alt: on the Gen/Hist Forum I believe jhonora

AYWalton: there will be 6 of them for the month. afrigeneas.com/forum each challenge will be posted every 5 days. I enjoyed one that Robin Foster wrote about the home that her father built.

alt: I've thought about writing on #1...

AYWalton: you should, alt.

alt: bout 10 yeara ago I went back to Piqua and tooks some photos of the 3 homes I lived in while growing up there.

AYWalton: You know that is a neat theme for someone to have for a reunion. Remembering the old homestead. that is wonderful.

Spivey: Did they look much different than you remembered alt?

alt: Got a page from the 1936 city directory for Piqua showing the 'hotel' my great-grandmother owned which was one first home. no Spivey they pretty much looked just as I remembered them

AYWalton: well folks I had better run. Have a great Sunday. Enjoy!!.

alt: AYWalton, at this last reunion we showed a photo of the log cabin built in 1820 which was the 'first' home for of Adams ancestors.

Spivey: Have a nice rest of the day everyone.

jhonora: Well, I'll see y'all! Have a good day!

alt: laters jhonora & Selma

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy