Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-10-01

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:28
End: 13:19:13
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, freeaainnc, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

AYWalton: Good afternoon, alt!

alt: Hello AYWalton

AYWalton: Just you and me, huh? where is everyone? thought I was late! I am doing well.

alt: naw, guess we're early

AYWalton: just taped my podcast. Editing the blog notes and will shortly upload. I guess so. how's it going with you?

alt: have you rested up yet?

AYWalton: sort of. Been busy, but have managed to finally get some sleep. I was exhausted!

daviss: hello you two!

alt: doing well... finding some interesting 'tidbits' in the Clevland Gazette in the 1880-1900 timeframe Hi daviss

AYWalton: what kind of tidbits? howdy daviss!!

daviss: good for you alt howdy howdy find any relatives listed alt

AYWalton: wassup Ms. daviss?

alt: found an obit of great-great grandfather from 1885

daviss: nothing up with me except for tax day today. ugggg Thats wonderful alt

AYWalton: I hear ya, daviss! lol

daviss: lol I reaslly think I need that money more than they do

alt: looking for it now... it stated that he was ordained in the M.E. church in 1846 in KY... born 1817 in Harrodsburg, KY.

AYWalton: would that have been the AME church, alt?

alt: no, the M.E. AYWalton .. that's what was fascinating

AYWalton: really? quite interesting!

daviss: M E was predominately white wasn't it alt

alt: it was white daviss

AYWalton: that is indeed interesting. what community was this?

daviss: did the article also bless you with a picture alt?

alt: no picture

AYWalton: where did this ancestor reside?

alt: was in KY, founded an A.M.E. church in Harveysburg, Ohio in 1876,,, one in covington, KY in 1880 where he died in 1885

AYWalton: where did you locate the obit?

alt: name was Anderson Bridges... he is my connection to Warrick Barrett .. same g-g- grd father

AYWalton: ahhh ok. most interesting! does Rick know much about this ancestor?

alt: oh, I posted it on Afrigenes hold on

daviss: seventies soulchild

alt: here it is http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum/index.cgi/page/1/md/read/id/83375

daviss: hello seventies

AYWalton: hello SoulChile!

alt: hello 70's

Seventies Soulchild: hello alt, daviss & AYWalton

AYWalton: how are things with you?

Seventies Soulchild: Sorry got sidetracked a moment ago.

alt: Yes AYWalton, and I sent him a copy of the article the article posted on Afrigeneas has a PDF file icon that shows a copy of the obit.

AYWalton: oh which forum--the main one, alt?

alt: click on the link I posted http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum/index.cgi/page/1/md/read/id/83375

daviss: Is this a second article alt

alt: no daviss, I don't thinkAYWalton or Seventies Soulchild had seen it before

daviss: oh ok

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

alt: hello vkn

vkn: howdy eavh and all

Seventies Soulchild: I hadn't. Reading it now.

AYWalton: That is a really nice obit and bio, alt.

vkn: trying to reach you AYW

alt: I thought so too AYWalton .. thank you

AYWalton: I am right here by the phone, VKN. I can phone you, if preferred, vkn.

alt: the ordination, timeframe & location is what blows my mind.

AYWalton: lol, no problem!

vkn: 3rd howdy

AYWalton: I shall do that shortly.

3rdthawkins: hello alt ay daviss seventies and vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Nice details alt

AYWalton: howdy 3rd.

3rdthawkins: hey, so I got my grandfather's DC today, this time

alt: yeah Seventies Soulchild and this is an AA in KY during slavery

3rdthawkins: now this man, as I was told, did not look white, he was dark skin and looked like a black man, and yet, on his DC, it states White hello daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Aw too bad it doesn't list the names of his wife and children

vkn: Humans make errors 3rd

3rdthawkins: no vkn, they passed for white is what i am saying

vkn: ahhhhhh ok

daviss: I was just going to say that lol as I think about my granddaughters BC

alt: if that's for me Seventies Soulchild , I have the names of the wife and the 9 children.

Seventies Soulchild: oh okay alt

3rdthawkins: are you talking to me Seventies Soulchild? it does list wife, but gives her name as Ruth Jefferson, perhaps to disguise the fact that they were cousins

daviss: My grands name is Taylor after the family but on her BC they put Laylor

Seventies Soulchild: No. sorry was looking over an obit alt provided

3rdthawkins: oh, ok

daviss: daughter had to pay to get it corrected

vkn: My brother is listed as White on his dc but that is totally incorrect. He is nice and brown

3rdthawkins: Jefferson was the maiden name of my grandmother's mother

alt: how much daviss?

daviss: even today when we tease her we call her Laylor

AYWalton: Daviss was it typed Taylor or hand-written?

daviss: I cant remember alt, at the time it may have been about 20 dollars or so typed

AYWalton: that is interesting. I know with script sometimes T's S's and L's look similar.

3rdthawkins: three things I am looking for now, what college my grandfather went to for 3 years. His Armed Forces Records. and What High School my grandmother went to

alt: ain't that sumpin.. for an error made by an "official' governmental office and you have to pay,

AYWalton: the old Palmer method, or an earlier script.

daviss: my gggrandmother Sallie was born Jefferson

AYWalton: where did he live and what time period, 3rd? that might provide some clues, possibly.

alt: good 3rdthawkins, happy to see you beyond the vitals

daviss: she was born in Tn but not sure where

alt: see you looking beyond

3rdthawkins: was born in SC 1924, was in the Navy (seabees) Korean War 1950s and lived in D.C. from 1950-1991 married and raising his kids, and moved to Florida in 1992 and was living in Clearwater, Fl. He died in a nursing home in FL in 2003

daviss: I know alt!

3rdthawkins: yeah alt, it does make me more curious about them and how they lived their lives

alt: did he attend college before his military service , or was he attending on the G.I. Bill?

3rdthawkins: good question, not sure, his sister was at South Carolina State College which was an AA school, so perhaps he went there? I would definitely have to order his SSA to see when he filled it out and where he was living at the time it may ask for employment, so perhaps it will be on there what he was doing at the time

alt: if his mil rec states he had 3 yrs. of college then it would appear that was BEFORE he went into th emilitary.

daviss: dang, another Tuskeegee type scandel but to the Guadamalans cant spell We( US) just apologized I swear!

AYWalton: wow---so many things have happened.

alt: born in '24... Korean war was like 1950-51 thru 1954 or so.

AYWalton: VKN how is Atlanta handling the issues with the Eddie Long issue?

Seventies Soulchild: I'm glancing over the surnames forum and googlebooks is being mentioned quite a bit

AYWalton: the press must be having a field day.

vkn: gossippy

Seventies Soulchild: oh no you didn't AYWalton! lol

alt: google books is an 'outstanding' resource Seventies Soulchild

3rdthawkins: yes alt, I have an address for him living in D.C. in 1954, he had 5 kids at that time

Seventies Soulchild: I've used it to reference other materials, but not for genealogy.

daviss: seventies I saw that too. I even went thru google last night but nada on any of my folks. but there were a couple good reads

AYWalton: had to ask, SoulChile/ it is getting lots of coverage even here in MD, I can imagine down in GA it must be intense.

daviss: quite a story AYWalton!

AYWalton: true.

Seventies Soulchild: must be. :| That is a quite a story for sure! So daviss, I found some 'detailed' information about Charity and Charles Rounds through google books.

alt: Why? it is happening all of the time in every denomination

daviss: thats good seventies

alt: a megachurch and an AA theme

Seventies Soulchild: The historical registry of national places put out a book. But a lot of it was just wrong... lol

daviss: like what seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Well the family owned the home well into the 1970's when it was sold.

AYWalton: howdy free! Long time!

freeaainnc: hi!

Seventies Soulchild: I think most of the details were by someone who didn't bother to or wanted to discover the truth. HI Freeaainnc

freeaainnc: I got to meet someone from afrigeneas today! :)

Seventies Soulchild: Did you meet Ingrid??

vkn: Best wishes with your findings 3rd

AYWalton: did you free? who did you meet?

alt: wouldn't the documentation have to have some veracity for it to be placed on the Nat'l Register of Historic Places?

freeaainnc: Allen McClain came in today and asked for me

Seventies Soulchild: OMG that's a name I hadn't heard in over a year!

vkn: very good free

freeaainnc: turns out he was here all week and waited until now to ask for me! lol

AYWalton: wow that was nice of him.

alt: really!!!!! he was a regualr chatter for a good period.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, yes to a certain degree. But we're talking about Mississippi

daviss: very good free.. I had not heard from him in awhile

AYWalton: I guess he was into his research, perhaps.

freeaainnc: Allen is the first person from Afrigeneas I've met in person

3rdthawkins: hello free that's good news

AYWalton: that's neat.

freeaainnc: yeah, I remember alt yeah, he was here this week researching the Chavis line

alt: it really is.. the 'power of AfriGeneas' strikes again LOL

daviss: was he able to get alot of info free?

freeaainnc: funny thing is, I woul have had no idea it was him if I met him earlier this week

Seventies Soulchild: lol

freeaainnc: I don't know vicky, he was headed out

daviss: lol

alt: good tha he remembered and looke for you specifically freeaainnc

vkn: yes indeed

freeaainnc: but usually the other librarians will let me know if there is someone researching FPOC. and when that happens, the first thing I usually ask them is if they know about Afrigeneas - would have been funny if I asked him that definitely alt

alt: there should have been a 'bundle' of Chavis information for him and NC too!!!!!!

freeaainnc: yep wb

daviss: as I momma used to say, "quit running in and out' seventies as my momma

freeaainnc: lol

daviss: alt I think I told you that your genie angel is in the town next door to my Mariah. exactly 31 miles away only difference is she is from La and mariah is in Texas

Seventies Soulchild: I think its going to be an extended lunch today folks... ;)

alt: yeah daviss... and she stated that she was a 'white' lurker on the AfriGeneas site(s) for years and was doing me a favor for my help to others thru the years.

Seventies Soulchild: that was a nice gesture.

AYWalton: that is so interesting, alt.

freeaainnc: I need to get going, bye folks!

AYWalton: I was wondering how the person knew to send you the ancestor's obit. there are probably many lurkers, which is ok.

daviss: sure was seventies. There are plenty more lurkers out there of other persuasions

AYWalton: and if they can give you gems like that---no problem from me.

daviss: it is ok.. she may possibly have done some look ups

alt: here ia an DC for one of the daughter's of Anderson Bridges, born in 1846 in KY and died where he established the church in 1876.. Harveysburg, OH.

daviss: Remember Dawn Owings

alt: http://tinyurl.com/3xdvbng http://tinyurl.com/3xdvbng http://tinyurl.com/3xdvbng Oops http://tinyurl.com/3xdvbng

daviss: in fact I have been wondering where she has been Got any Dixons alt in KY

alt: click on the magnify icon for a clearer picture

AYWalton: is she also connected to your Anderson Bridges?

alt: the Wise lady is one of his daughters AYWalton

AYWalton: I see.

Seventies Soulchild: Ha! Just found Andrew Rounds in the Woodville Republican!

alt: her DC follows the Obit.. Grant co., KY & Harveysburg, OH

Seventies Soulchild: brb

daviss: AYWalton, are you rested from your trip

AYWalton: more or less. I have been sleeping A LOT! I was soooo tired! I did so much while I was there.

daviss: also did you get to see the two gentlemen this time. I think they were your newfound relatives I think you met them the last trip

AYWalton: The conference, went to an art gallery, then participated in an oral history project in Arkansas---interviewed the principal of the old elementary school and parish that I attended as a child. (part of the historical society's effort to document Afr. American churches.)

daviss: I bet that interview was telling was it the same principal when you were young

AYWalton: VKN finishing up podcast, and I gave a big promo for AfriGeneas on this week's episode, including the upcoming challenges for Family History Month.

vkn: very good ayw

AYWalton: about to upload in a few.

alt: just came to mind... Is Louis Diggs still living? he did a lot on AA history in MD. if still living,is he active?

daviss: I have no idea alt

AYWalton: oh yes, is he ever! I have joined his new society.

alt: good AYWalton, I haven't seen a post from him on AfriGeneas for a few years now.

AYWalton: AND the historical society of Baltimore County has given him a building to be named, the Louis Diggs, African American Genealogical Research Center.

alt: please tell him he is appreciated and thanks for all of the wonderful work he has done in the past.

AYWalton: it has to be renovated, but there is a major grant from NEH to restore the old historic building. and I have been invited to be on the board. Just got an updated email from him yesterday.

daviss: That is quite an honor AYWalton

alt: WOW!!!!! that is truly wonderful!!!!!!

AYWalton: oh yes!! he has done so much----7 books, and he is still going strong.

alt: no wonder we dont' hear form him 7 books LOL

AYWalton: He wrote a book on each and every African American settlement in Baltimore County.

daviss: I have to leave folks. The tax man awaits and I have to see him before others get wind of his beckoning call

AYWalton: and he the building they gave him---it is beautiful.

daviss: have a wonderful day

alt: good luck daviss

daviss: thx alt lol

vkn: Sounds good re Diggs

AYWalton: alt are you traveling to MD for the conference next week? yes he is doing well.

alt: no AYWalton, my 'conference funds' for the year have run out LOL

AYWalton: lol, I understand, alt. save your pennies then for next year's events.

vkn: His slave ads in the AfriGeneas library continue as a big hit

AYWalton: I will be in Indiana in May at the Eiteljorg.

alt: I'm gearing up for next year already AYWalton .. lining up those events, especailly those within driving distance.. about 200 miles.

AYWalton: he is a very nice gentleman, as well.

vkn: saving self sounds good alt Gotta slow ayw down

AYWalton: tell me about it, vkn!

alt: the IAAGG is having their workshop sometime in Oct AYWalton, might be the same time as AAHGS

vkn: lol

AYWalton: I plan to---I have been doing more than I should. Rest is really precious. also the Chicago group is having their conference next week as well.

vkn: Would be good if dates could be coordinated

alt: If I slow anymore than I am then I will be on STOP!!! LOL

AYWalton: after November I plan to truly slow down, VKN. I have traveled far more than I like to this year. lol @ alt.! we don't want you to stop, alt.

vkn: I know about STOP lol

alt: no you don't vkn... you're the busiest person I can think of. gota run anita has a honey-do for me laters y'all

AYWalton: yes, she is somebody that I would like to be when I grow up, alt, I agree.

vkn: light gets brighter before final dim lol

AYWalton: yes, I am uploading my podcast.

Seventies Soulchild: ok I've got to run have a good day all

AYWalton: I shall phone later, VKN. have a great day everyone.

vkn: niters 3rd

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy