Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-09-14

*LunchBunch*TuesNite

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:57:25
End: 13:47:17
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, di, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vkn, wisdom

vkn: Howdy

Spivey: Howdy vkn!

vkn: a straighten the chairs

Spivey: LOL.

vkn: Now all ceaned up

Spivey: Good.

vkn: How are you this day Spivey

Spivey: Fine. You?

vkn: Good any words from Free?

Spivey: None.

vkn: hmmmmm

Spivey: Yeah. It's been more than 2 weeks.

vkn: Had not noticed the time frame but will do some seeking in a few days

3rdthawkins: Spivey, vkn

vkn: Howdy 3rd

Spivey: Okay. I'm worried because it's not like her. Hi 3rdthawkins!

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

vkn: Howdy AYW

3rdthawkins: hey AYWalton

AYWalton: hello there 3rd, Spivey. Greetings VKN!!!!!!!!!!

Spivey: Hi AyWalton! My daughter, in her continued efforts to get me to move to Georgia, sent me an e-mail about the cost of living in New York City. It turns out that the highest cost-of-living is in Queens where I live.

3rdthawkins: did you say "I know how much it cost, I live here!"

vkn: AY did you get a chance toread the post on surnames from person trying to find Indian ancestry?

3rdthawkins: hello daviss

AYWalton: Hello there, daviss!

Spivey: I ain't saying a mumbling word 3rdthawkins. This goes on constantly with her. I just ignore it.

AYWalton: Hope all is well with you.

daviss: hello everyone!!

Spivey: Hi daviss!

vkn: 3rd one does not say that to a loving daughter who wants Mom nearby Daviss howdy

Spivey: I don't say anything vkn. Just ignore.

AYWalton: I did not see it on Surnames.

Spivey: Hi wisdom!

AYWalton: Hello wisdom.

3rdthawkins: well, I understand that vkn, I'm not a loving daughter, but son, as well as all my brothers, and we all want our mother to live by us, so I do understand, it was just a joke

vkn: hmmm link was in mail I sent to you ayw

3rdthawkins: Hey wisdom, I've been looking for you lol

daviss: hello wisdom!

3rdthawkins: No, jk, hello Wisdom

wisdom: Greetings all :)

Spivey: Pleased to meet you wisdom. I don't think we have met before.

vkn: well here be a ha ha ha 2 u 3rd lol

Spivey: ROTFL.

wisdom: no we have not...my pleasure Spivey

Spivey: Guess she told you 3rdthawkins!

3rdthawkins: lol vkn.......hello alt

Spivey: Hi alt!

alt: Hello AY, 3rd, daviess, Spivey & vkn.

vkn: Howdy Wisdom glad to see you here. Did we just speak by phone?

AYWalton: since the researcher wants to prove instead of reseaching to find---I might not be of great assistance, vkn, but I shall take a look.

alt: & wisdom

Spivey: Same here wisdom.

wisdom: yes we did vkn

AYWalton: Welcome wisdom---is this your first time here?

vkn: ahhhhhhhhh

Spivey: I like that name wisdom. If daviss wasn't already here I would think it may be her in disguise.

wisdom: Yes it is AYWalton grins*

AYWalton: then you are most welcome. Are you new to genealogy research as well, or simply new to the room?

wisdom: bows graciously...

daviss: welcome wisdom!

wisdom: 16 year researching...

AYWalton: ahhh then you are a true veteran.

wisdom: thank you daviss...I am green here so I will just chime in ...thanks for inviting me vkn :)

AYWalton: what part of the country are you researching.

vkn: heyyy alt and all I would tell you that wisdom has thoughts about helping us at AfriGeneas. Daviss will you give wisdom the floor for a few

AYWalton: since we don't have a special presentation going on, today, just jump right into the conversation, wisdom.

wisdom: Mostly southeast..

Spivey: Georgia for me wisdom.

wisdom: I have done a bit there...

Spivey: Oh, goody. I like that. lol

wisdom: I am just very proud of the Afrigeneas work and I would love to contribute

3rdthawkins: South Carolina here

Spivey: Good. Skew those contributions to Georgia if you don't mind.

wisdom: Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, North Carolina, Mississippi, Virginia, Alabama

vkn: (Daviss just phoned that puter is acting badly she will join us when she can)

Spivey: Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida are on my list of primary places wisdom.

wisdom: :D tons of history

Spivey: Principal surnames i am researching: adams, brinson, kelsey, murray and spivey.

vkn: What section o f Florida Wisdom and what surnames. I search Jackson, Madison and Nassau counties

wisdom: Palm Beach, St. Lucie, Broward - Nuby, Mitchell, Frederick, Mckay, Bishop

vkn: Oh yes and what counties in Alabam wisdom Thanx re FL counties

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon all

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

vkn: Howdy seventies

Spivey: Hi Seventies Soulchild!

wisdom: Henry for now...I have only found out about Alabama a few months ago so it is very relatively new. Hello Soulchild

alt: congrats on your ROUNDS connection Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Hello wisdom... you're new here. (I think)

wisdom: yes :)

3rdthawkins: congrats with your rounds connection Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks alt! this is the second descendant of Andrew Rounds that has contacted me in the last 3 wks

AYWalton: brb

vkn: Yall wisdom in a post graduate student living in NJ Yes triple congrats seventies

Spivey: Oh, we are practically neighbors wisdom. I live in Queens, New York.

Seventies Soulchild: LOL if I hear from any more Rounds' we're going to have to put together a mega reunion!

wisdom: yes we are...:)

vkn: Spivey not sure I have mentioned my KING kin on Long Island

Seventies Soulchild: who are you looking for in AL wisdom?

Spivey: I don't remember you doing so vkn. That is where Queens is too, on Long Island.

Seventies Soulchild: And where?

vkn: me know that lol

Spivey: lol Me thought you did. Just mentioning it for those who might not have known.

wisdom: My Bishop connections

vkn: lol lol lol

Spivey: Nassau and Suffolk. They're still afraid of being taken over by New York City vkn! lol

vkn: So I hear

Spivey: Well, New York City is as broke as anyone else so can't afford to start anything right now.

vkn: I have a kin who acts and teaches acting (Petronia Paley) who lives in I am not sure NY lol

alt: So are you back into the 'salve era' in your SE research wisdom?

wisdom: Columbia...Henry County

alt: slave

vkn: wisdom what research have you published

Spivey: That is interesting vkn, very interesting.

wisdom: yes in a few lines I have found the African member

alt: oh really, how did you discover the African member>

wisdom: good question vkn...seems I keep putting that off until I find some of the more difficult connections.

vkn: Gotcha wisdom

wisdom: mostly from Oral tradition I found the census listing the birthplace of Africa...nothing else however. Now it is ship manifest time... :-)

alt: were was this person located (State) on the census record?

wisdom: North Carolina was last residence

alt: OKay, often the location can give a clue as to African origins.

vkn: Spivey my NY folk are rooted in Baldwin and Doughtery County GA names are SLATER KING PRITCHARD TOBIAS

wisdom: it is a female member with her father listed as from Africa. The trail ends there but then it begins again... No maiden name

Spivey: No Baldwin connections for me [yet] vkn. Jenkins, Screven, Richmond, Burke, Schley and Taylor so far.

vkn: Petronia nee Johnson "Paley" is a S:ATER yup

alt: where in NJ are you a post-grad student wisdom?

Seventies Soulchild: yep okay Hi di :)

vkn: Di howdy

wisdom: Is there a depository of all ship manifest origin and destinations with names of all passengers in one place?

di: hello all

Spivey: vkn is this she? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0657625/

Seventies Soulchild: So we know who this father is? The name and all?

vkn: I might get kicked if I click url but I will see

wisdom: I travel to Montgomery, Alabama - Amridge Univ

Spivey: wisdom there is the Immigrant Ships Transcriber's Guild that is probably the closest you will find to a list of most immigrant ships.

Seventies Soulchild: The only resource that I'm aware of is the Slave Voyages online databse.

alt: I ask about NJ schools as I have a cousin who is working with the African Studies program at Princeton.

Seventies Soulchild: So many of those Africans went to latin America & a few to N.O.

vkn: Same one spivey. I did not explore the page. Did not seem to be much there. In her glory days she was on one of those tv soaps I think in role of Dr.

Spivey: Guiding Light is on her resume vkn.

vkn: But she has done and still does serious broadway

wisdom: No name Spivey, unfortunately. Those are good starting points...thank you for that!

vkn: oh ok

wisdom: I live very close to Princeton...I am in Mercer County

alt: ah so, Mercer Co., NJ okay

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey everyone.

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Ingrid_Doweary

wisdom: I would love to talk to your cousin

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary!

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I gotta run.... have a good day all

alt: Hello Ingrid_Doweary

Spivey: Hi di! Pleased to meet you di.

wisdom: Hello di

vkn: Spivey also a KING kin (Vernee Watson) also teaches drama played role of mother to Will in Smith ??? of Bel Air

Spivey: Aha, so your family has produced a number of actors vkn.

Ingrid_Doweary: Janet Hubert?

vkn: Hey di welcome tell us about your searching LOTS spivey

alt: Princeton, can't think of th name of the young man who 'heads' the African Studies program.. he is a Morehouse grad. My cousin Rhonda Adams Medina is the Fund Raising Chair for the Program.

di: my research is slow i have not been doing anything in the last year just trying to work on attending some workshops

Spivey: lol The closest I have found vkn was my father who was a janitor in a movie theater and his WWII draft card lists him as a 'motion picture producer'. LOL.

vkn: di what surnames , states year span Heyyy Ingrid did not see you come in I too busy chatting... blame it on Spivey

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Spivey, he may have been a film producer with some independent film productions. Which time period was that?

3rdthawkins: vkn Smith of Bel Air? Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :)

di: respess atwater alford in georgia

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn.

vkn: Right 3rd hell my current recall thanx

3rdthawkins: is she a kin vkn?

wisdom: I will look her up. I do know a few scholars there.

vkn: Yes 3rd

3rdthawkins: wow

alt: okay wisdom

vkn: hell=help

Spivey: No Ingrid_Doweary, he never was. That was 1944 Georgia/Florida. It is the general category he fell under because of the industry guidelines used by the military at the time.

di: when i was on here about a week or two ago someone was researching in charleston sc.is that anyone that is here now.

Ingrid_Doweary: Ohhh okay Spivey.

Spivey: Where do you research in Georgia di?

vkn: Alt Audrey Battiste (the SC expert) is now co-teaching the genealogy class with me

alt: BTW vkn, AfriGeneas did a 'bang-up job' helping the lady with her Browning research... the did it well and quickly LOL

vkn: I noticed that alt

alt: wonderful vkn... glad to hear your class is progressing and you have some help.

vkn: Yes she gave an excellent presentation on yesterday from soup to nuts di I think 3rd is looking in Charleston

Spivey: I have to run. Someone is calling me. Bye for now everyone.

vkn: okies

alt: what types of workshops are you attending di... anything (subject) in particular?

vkn: wisdom at least you can get a feel for this place Alt is our resident expert

wisdom: Yes I am enjoying this very much vkn

alt: we, at least I ask a lot of questions wisdom, the are all asked in the spirit of trying to get a handle on where you are in your research efforts and to see if we can be of any assistance.

wisdom: I am very pleased and thankful alt :}

alt: not sure of the 'expert' status that vkn is trying to lay on me tho' LOL LOL

di: i am researching in pike and upson co mostly

vkn: I only do that by "the power vested in me" alt and that be serious

alt: di, are you in touch with David Paterson? he is very much into Upson co., GA.

di: i am looking around for workshops to attend in the area of genealogy and also a few grant writing workshops in the area

vkn: Upson County GA di

di: yes i am familar with mr paterson he has been a great help to me over the years

alt: okay, that's a resource you surely don't want to pass up.

3rdthawkins: sorry di, was taking the trash out, yes I am searching in Charleston

vkn: Yes David has an incurable case of Upson County and that is good for the rest of us

di: ok then i was suppose to look up a website for you and misplaced your email address and the website...i apologize, if you still could use my help i will be glad to look at it for you

Khathu: hello everyone

3rdthawkins: hello Khathu

vkn: Heyyyyy Khathu meet wisdom and di

alt: Hello Khathu, been missing ya, is everything okay?

wisdom: hello Khathu

3rdthawkins: sure di, that will be good

di: yeah David taught me a great lesson....you can not handle or process information you are not ready for no matter how valuable! hello Khathu

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Khathu.

vkn: and that is the truth di

Khathu: everything is fine.....just been active in the mayoral election here in DC

vkn: ahhhhh

3rdthawkins: running Khathu?

Khathu: i am about to go to the campaign office and man the phone bank

vkn: Have you focused a winner as yet Khathu

Khathu: Leo Alexander, Adrian Fenty and Vince Gray

3rdthawkins: Can you write in Marion Barry?

vkn: I see thanx Khathu

Khathu: not yet vkn.......

vkn: 3rd go to your room lol

Khathu: you can write in Daffy Duck if you want. It is your vote

3rdthawkins: lol vkn

Khathu: hello wisdom and di

vkn: wisdom is post grad khathu

Ingrid_Doweary: Yall cuttin' up again?

Khathu: Ingrid did you vote yet

vkn: and di is searching in Upson GA

Khathu: okay....nice

Ingrid_Doweary: No but I will after work.

Khathu: okay, i'm just checking

vkn: Ingrid maybe you can get khathu to help at the booth/exhibit at the conference

3rdthawkins: wb 70s

Ingrid_Doweary: Khathu I have to vote as long as I'm able to. Can't ignore that.

3rdthawkins: we know you can't stay away lol

vkn: Seventies awing back in da door lol

Ingrid_Doweary: WB 70s.

Seventies Soulchild: thanks

wisdom: wb

vkn: Seventies swinging back in da door lol

Khathu: Hello Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: yep got a few mins extra

vkn: Khathu seventies is doing the happy dance

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Khathu: I discovered a marriage and divorce for one of my gg grandmother

vkn: DAVISS there you are

daviss: hello again!

Khathu: i was unaware that she was ever married to a William Turner

3rdthawkins: wb davis

Seventies Soulchild: gg grandmothers? that's in what era? Early 20th century?

Khathu: She was born in 1844

Seventies Soulchild: Do you think they had children together?

vkn: wisdom daviss keeps us in line

Khathu: I don't think so.

alt: just saw your advice from David di.... very good, information/data isn't worth much if you aren't ready to process it.

Seventies Soulchild: that is truly interesting. . .

di: Yeah he gave me a lead in 2002 I did not process it till 2008! I didnt understand how it connected or what it really was or meant. and now it is my favorite thing i have learned about my family so far!

Khathu: now the bad thing is the marriage and divorce occurred bewteen 1880-1900

alt: good lesson then, huh di?

Khathu: the marriage only lasted for 3 years

Seventies Soulchild: Ah yes that is bad.

Khathu: from 1887-1890

di: Does anyone have a subscription to GenealogyBank.com, if so is it worth it? And are there any Genealogy conferences coming up on the east coast that anyone knows of? yeah good lesson learned by living and experiencing!

Khathu: i have a copy of the marriage record and her petition for divorce

di: and side lesson, KEEP EVERYTHING! even if it seemed irreleveant!

Seventies Soulchild: I know you looked for William Turner elsewhere. Does he show up in 1900?

alt: If you are in the PHilly area, check out the Philly AAGS group, they are always having something going on di.

vkn: di I would say no with familysearch beta being available

daviss: I just re joined Gen Bank di but so far nothing in my way of research

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Daviss. Got a couple links for you on the HBCUs initiatives, BRB

Khathu: according to the petition, he physically assaulted her in front of witnesses

daviss: I guess it would depend on where your search is and how much they have

Khathu: it would be nice to know who the witnesses were

daviss: thx ingrid I appreciate that

vkn: Khathu was divorce granted by legislative act or local court

Khathu: Question - how common was it for white minister to marry AA in the 1880s

alt: di, wha tmight you be looking for on GenealogBank.com? what do they have?

Khathu: vkn i have only obtained her petition to the local court

vkn: alt do you remember alta cannady? well she is the development officer for the Congeessional Black Caucus

daviss: khathu a white minister married my gg grands.. At least I think it was my great great grand lol

vkn: okies khathu

Khathu: so it was common....thank you my Texas research

alt: Yes vkn, I remember Alta, I see her on Facebook from time to time.

Khathu: research = researcher

vkn: I bumped into her on FB yesterday

daviss: He lived in the same area as my folks khathu in Harrison County

Khathu: They were married by a George F. Mayer who emigrated to the U.S. from Germany in the 1840s

Ingrid_Doweary: This is for you, Daviss http://www.ed.gov/blog/2010/03/president-renews-white-house-initiative-on-historically-black-colleges-and-universities/

daviss: much thx ingrid

vkn: In Alabama it seems most courthouse marriages were by white peeps and home and church marriages were a mixed ethnic/color in the work I have done

Ingrid_Doweary: Yesterday a White House Reception was held recognizing HBCU Week Sept. 12-18, 2010.

alt: what was the community loke where these folks lived Khathu? demographics black & white. that might have something to do with the marriage by a 'white' minister or JP. loke=like

Khathu: it was a predominately white community

daviss: a friend sent me a picture just yesterday of a HBCU seminar of soon to be grads in Cali.. The picture looked like they were lined up wall to wall which is wonderful

di: As for the Philly AAGG I am a member, I am unable to make the meetings right now because of the times. And i am looking to add to my list of resources. And not sure what i would look up on the site. i just came across it as a link from the historical society here in philly

alt: ad so di, then you know John Logan?

vkn: alt it is my guess that where no paperwork returned look for Black minister. I see 'no retur' too often return

Seventies Soulchild: vkn what areas in AL did you get your marriage records?

di: yes we finally met a few months ago...we kept missing each other!

alt: you bet vkn, hence my question last week or so.... with a 'no return' are those 'legal' marriages?

Khathu: good question alt

vkn: Calhoun Talladega and counties in that quadrant of the State Seventies primarily

Seventies Soulchild: Ok That is interesting though

daviss: Shouldnt there be a seal in order to be legal

vkn: but I see a similar trend in Jackson County FL

3rdthawkins: alt, before I go (or you head out), I discovered the Familysearch pilot site does have wildcard searches, not sure if you found out already. I remember we talked about this before................you can do wildcard searches as long as the drop down menu is not on 'exact matches only' thought I would tell you

daviss: they at least knew how to draw a seal on court papers

Seventies Soulchild: Has anyone ever gone to the surname msg boards on genealogy.com

vkn: lol daviss

alt: I really don't know daviss... just a question.. we know the intent was usually there and many of those folks with the 'not returned' maariage apps/records went on to have successful marriages.

daviss: lol you have seen it haven't you vkn?

alt: grea tothear that 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: I seldom use it Seventies

vkn: I am not renewing that subscript seventies

daviss: agreed alt.

daviss: I have many moons ago seventies

wisdom: A long time ago Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not a member, but sometimes I get google hits and I look through what has been documented.

daviss: did you see my happy dance for you seventies

3rdthawkins: sometiems I do look through it on google hits,

daviss: I got dizzy going Round and Round lol

Seventies Soulchild: yes I did daviss! Thank you. I'm very happy that there are other Rounds' out there looking LOL

alt: with familysearch & ancestry adding to their databases I'm having trouble keeping up with filling in the blanks/holes in my database LOL lOL

Seventies Soulchild: They still think that Andrew was the oldest son...Charles Jr was truly forgotten about! lol alt I found that for my Mixon research in AL genealogy's msg boards have been a godsend

alt: good for you Seventies Soulchild

3rdthawkins: yeah alt, they both have been busy and alt, FamilySearch corrected their little mistake, they had Nevada in place of Arkansas, They changed it :)

alt: I just found a marraige in Montana (1902) I thought the couple was maried in Ohio LOL

Seventies Soulchild: whoa...

3rdthawkins: so now my family in AR shows up as Hope, Hempstead, Arkansas and NOT Hope, Hempstead, Nevada

alt: I think that was a 'transcription' error 3rdthawkins County vs State for the Arkansas records

3rdthawkins: wow alt, that's what I always wonder, I may give that a try yes alt, glad they corrected it

Khathu: have a great day everyone. i am off to the campaign office

Seventies Soulchild: have a good day Khathu

alt: good luck Khathu

3rdthawkins: enjoy Khathu

Khathu: and Ingrid don't forget to go vote!

Seventies Soulchild: I guess that he's not voting for the current mayor of D.C.! LMAO

daviss: thats right NY and 6 other races today

Seventies Soulchild: Yep! Some Morgan kid is running for Charlie Rangels seat! LOL

3rdthawkins: Ingrid_Doweary, I'm not happy that they are thinking about changing the lot where my childhood home once stood into a Toyota Center

Seventies Soulchild: Welcome to re-gentrication, 3rd. . .

alt: Seventies Soulchild, I'm so old I remember when Rangel got that seat after Adams Clayton Powell was ousted .. whew, a Looonnng time ago LOL

3rdthawkins: I wish they could have just built new (town)homes

daviss: yep! @ seventies re re-gentrification

Seventies Soulchild: LOL yea he's had that seat for 20 consecutive terms! That's longer than I've been alive! LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: I read you 3rd. My job has turned into a baby sitting job for library violators.

daviss: lol seventies

alt: His wife is a grad from Central State Univ./Wilberforce Seventies Soulchild .... I even remember her as a student there.

Seventies Soulchild: Should I comment about how long ago that was or just leave it be? lol

Ingrid_Doweary: What would you like to see happen about the situation, 3rd.

daviss: wisdom, do you have any Texas ancestors?

alt: whatever's fair Seventies Soulchild LOL

3rdthawkins: well, preserving the wall on Sheridan Rd. Ingrid_Doweary the one that is painted, '86 Sheridan Terrace

wisdom: So far nothing in Texas daviss yet...

Seventies Soulchild: but to be fair, Rangel has had many contenders vying for his spot.

daviss: shoot! @ wisdom lol

3rdthawkins: are they going to tear that down, do you know Ingrid?

Seventies Soulchild: They never win.

wisdom: ;)

daviss: perhaps you could do a letter writing campaign 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: ingrid_doweary, have you been to the AACWM since their move?

daviss: Get enough signatures and it just might work thats what we did with a small triagular square that us kids used to play in now they have designated it Triangle Park. It not large up at least it was ours The city keeps it up

3rdthawkins: wow, interesting daviss I may do that

alt: well y'all my time is up ... laters ... nice meeting you wisdom.

Seventies Soulchild: Have a good day alt

wisdom: a pleasure alt

daviss: bye alt

3rdthawkins: well, I will go to

wisdom: I better run as well..I have a dental appt. I have enjoyed this folks!

Seventies Soulchild: ok now, what do you think I should do daviss? Should I focus on my Rounds lineage??? I think there is more there if I dig just a bit deeper. bye wisdom

daviss: please come back wisdom

Seventies Soulchild: bye 3rd

wisdom: I will do that daviss :-)

daviss: thanks much have a great day

wisdom: *waves to all :} you too...

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm back and I see everyone is leaving.

Seventies Soulchild: lol We're not gone yet... :)

daviss: seventies I would do whatever is coming at you the most especially when its hot

Seventies Soulchild: The Rounds'

daviss: yep! then when it slows go to the next hot one

Seventies Soulchild: I am really ready to find out the ethnic group that Charles Rounds came from. So I want to do a family fundraiser for the DNA test.

daviss: awesome!! I bet you could do it seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I would need a male who is a direct descendant of charles rounds to do this.

daviss: well with your new found folks mabe you can

Seventies Soulchild: They are all females.

daviss: ohhhhhh eek!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh well.

daviss: or Scheeeech!! lol

Seventies Soulchild: I have a couple of candidates in mind. just a couple We need to put this Guinea thing to rest.

Ingrid_Doweary: In answer to your earlier question, 70s, I haven't been to the new AACWMM location.

Seventies Soulchild: It appears as if they haven't moved into the Grimke school yet. . .

Ingrid_Doweary: Guinea thing?

daviss: di have you had any dna done on any of your lines?

Seventies Soulchild: yes the going story in the family is that Charlie Rounds was born in Africa, stolen to VA and shipped to Mississippi. Specificially we were told we are Guinean.

Ingrid_Doweary: No, they're in another temporary location, The Thurgood Marshall Center for Service and Heritage is an innovative community project located at 1816 12th Street, NW

daviss: well it would sure put it to rest if you get it done seventies

Seventies Soulchild: My MtDNA goes back to the balanta of Guinea Bissau

Ingrid_Doweary: me also.

Seventies Soulchild: This is true daviss.

daviss: mine too seventies

Seventies Soulchild: We're all sisters??? Kool!

Ingrid_Doweary: How nice.

Seventies Soulchild: Y'all must be stubborn too... LOL

daviss: I had my first cousin take hers

Ingrid_Doweary: Chat with you later folks.

daviss: lol not me, Iam the oddball cousin lol

Seventies Soulchild: later ingrid

daviss: ok ingrid bye

Seventies Soulchild: yea right daviss.... lol

daviss: lol lol lol lol I put up another blog ms stubborn seventies can I get a read lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol I will be sure to check it out

daviss: hahahahaha I guess I better run do a couple loads of laundry take care

Seventies Soulchild: bye daviss... lol

daviss: bye my friend cousin

Seventies Soulchild: I have to get back to work.... take care di

daviss: bye di

*TuesNite

Start: 20:38:11
End: 22:20:50
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, Spivey, vkn

vkn: VKN was here earlier to aweep the floors and such. Will try and get back but it has been a looooooong day Watching videos of the LINES Dance Company s a mama smile! AYW please give Sadonya the inclusive dates of the 18 Nov event

Spivey: Hi 3rdthawkins and alt!

alt: hello & good evening 3rd & Spivey

3rdthawkins: hello Spivey and alt

Spivey: alt, I am looking for that newspaper article dealing with Ohio and I came across an interesting article.

alt: okay

Spivey: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2007/jul/16/civil_war_documents_attic\ /

alt: I'm listening Spivey LOL

Spivey: Not as quick as I used to be alt! lol Surfing brings up such interesting things. Depends on how the webmaster classifies their documents.

alt: when I click the link I get the message this page contains pop-up windows and that's all

Spivey: Huh? Let me try that again. http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2007/jul/16/civil_war_documents_attic/

alt: same thing.. what's Post & courier ?

Spivey: It's coming up for me.

3rdthawkins: Post and Courier is Charleston's oldest Newspaper

alt: okay, thanks 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: the article does come up for me

alt: maybe I've got sumpin on 'blockin' pop-ups

Spivey: I don't get any popups alt and I have pop-up blocker turned on. Hi vkn!

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

alt: i dunno, click link .. get a beep and then the message

Spivey: Hmm . . .

alt: Hello vkn

vkn: hey from me to all yall

3rdthawkins: how is it in Georgia

alt: did a nice job of sweeping the floors vkn LOL

vkn: lol thankee it be sweltering in ga

3rdthawkins: hmmm, maybe you all need some of the rain we've been getting

Spivey: Okay. Found this one too, alt. See if you can get into this.

3rdthawkins: cooled us down a little

Spivey: http://sos.georgia.gov/archives/what_do_we_have/online_records/confederate_muster_rolls/CMR_main.htm

alt: wow, we're getting into 'fall' here, didn't break 70 today.

Spivey: Same here, 3rdthawkins. Rained all day yesterday, thunderstorms too. Now, cooler.

alt: same thing Spivey

vkn: Trying to get chat rooms ready for expanded use but its a cgallenge

Spivey: Me no understand alt.

3rdthawkins: thunder woke me up kind of in the middle of the night

vkn: alt how fits the merchandise

alt: me neither Spivey, usually have no problem clicking on the links posted very good vkn. had the white T-shirt on yesterday, felt good.

3rdthawkins: oh yeah, Charleston don't like people who only researches in one state lol,....no jk

vkn: wunnerful wunnerful

Spivey: ROTFL 3rdthawkins.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey everyone

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid and daviss

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary and daviss!

alt: who might that be 3rdthawkins, not me, I'm all over the country.

vkn: howdy daviss

daviss: good evening!

alt: hello daviss

vkn: howdy ingrid

alt: and hi Ingrid

3rdthawkins: lol ................wish I knew what the prob was

Spivey: 3rdthawkins post those URLs and see if it makes a difference for alt's access.

3rdthawkins: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2007/jul/16/civil_war_documents_attic/ http://sos.georgia.gov/archives/what_do_we_have/online_records/confederate_muster_rolls/CMR_main.htm

vkn: I am N and Out so if I do not answer it be cause I be multi multi

alt: nope, still get the 'beep' and the mesage

Spivey: daviss, Ingrid_Doweary and vkn, I posted some URLs and alt can't access them. 3rdthawkins just re-posted them. See if you can access them please.

alt: what is the article about Spivey?

daviss: yep, got it

alt: my machine is just 'acting up' LOL

daviss: confederate muster roll

Spivey: When Colin J. McRae sailed for London in 1863, it seemed the War Between the States might go on forever.

Ingrid_Doweary: The 2 links worked for me, 3rd.

Spivey: That's the start of the article alt.

vkn: Post and Courier ,com

Ingrid_Doweary: I went ahead and bookmarked them.

Spivey: McRae it seems was from Alabama and a discovery of his papers was made.

alt: Wonder if there is a connect to Bennie McRae... his roots are Alabama/SC

daviss: what is this link for Spivey I came in late

Spivey: Which one daviss? There were two. There were invoices and receipts for cotton, beef, rifles, 40 cannon shells. William James was most intrigued by the record of a payment to a blockade runner's captains for his personal belongings, which had been confiscated by Union sailors. James recognized the names of some of the ships named in the papers - the Confederate schooner Stephen Hart is mentioned in one.

daviss: oh I guess l only clicked on Confed

Spivey: That is some more of the detail from the article alt.

daviss: ok the other is civil war papers

Spivey: The confederate roster seems interesting daviss because there are copies of what looks like enlistment papers there.

Ingrid_Doweary: http://www.postandcourie ··· s_attic/ http://sos.georgia.gov/a ··· main.htm Those links were for Daviss

Spivey: Anyway, that's my contribution for the night. :) alt, I think I can e-mail you the article. Let me check.

daviss: ok got it now thx

alt: okay Spivey athomas9@woh.rr.com question on response to when someone asks about research areas?

3rdthawkins: anyone try this site the google timeline http://newstimeline.googlelabs.com/

daviss: did you ever check to see if your ancestor was in fact in the civil war Spivey

Spivey: I found these while searching for information about that daviss. E-mail sent alt. They send it themselves it seems.

daviss: what do you mean alt

3rdthawkins: what is the question?

vkn: I am hearing you alt

Ingrid_Doweary: The site is new to me 3rd. How did you encounter it. ?

alt: we ask folks about their areas of research.. they give us States & Counties, but when questioned they seem to know little or nothing about the areas, just the names they are researching,,, anyone else notice that?

vkn: Suggest Q be posted to a forum get some dialogue there then bring to chat rather than the other way around

Spivey: I didn't alt but then again I don't like maps. vkn forced me to use them.

3rdthawkins: listening to a podcast on youtube Ingrid_Doweary a lady was showing how to use it.....you can put in a date and it will bring up articles from that time period

alt: okay vkn

Spivey: Whoa, that's neat 3rdthawkins.

daviss: yes alt but I think that the majority are new to research and really have no clue on how to search

vkn: There is almost no solution alt

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay thanks. Alt, are you recommending they research the communities the surnames/ancestors dwelled?

3rdthawkins: link to the podcast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrn1gt_CvN0

daviss: you have to ingrid

alt: I think it is 'required' Ingrid_Doweary, along with some history/timeline info on the period ancestors may have been in an area.

Ingrid_Doweary: I understand Daviss. Any suggestions on how to encourage/engage the researcher in that direction?

Spivey: Ingrid_Doweary I did some [gag] mapping and located neighbors of my ADAMS family. I looked online [when there were simple telephone books there], found some of the families still there and contacted them. Those calls were worth every dime.

vkn: Alt you gave a good response to the Virginia Browning quest. Now that person had phoned me seeking help to prove he was non Black

AYWalton: Good evening all.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY.

daviss: my suggestion is to read everything you can

alt: Yes, that was confusing vkn... exact same name, time period, etc. only diff was racial designation.

Ingrid_Doweary: Perhaps the researcher/inquirer can be directed to review the county/state histories.

alt: i say this Ingrid_Doweary, because how else would one know what 'type' of records to look for when searching for ancestors in a given area for a given time period.

Ingrid_Doweary: Perhaps identify who was the U.S. President during the ancestors's timeline. Maybe identify who was the governor, and or mayor during the timeline.

alt: example , you wouldn't look for land, marriage, military records for a teenager.

Ingrid_Doweary: I agree Alt. Just throwing out some hints for the record.

Spivey: Good point alt. I found out that the family farm was landlocked and had to receive leeways from surrounding neighbors to get to main road. That led me to the courthouse/county clerk office. The only record on file was there because of those right of ways that had to be granted.

Ingrid_Doweary: When I was in the Columbia County, AR library-genealogy room, that was the information I was seeking to aid me in my research. I did a lot of prep reading in Family Tree Magazine to also aid me with identifying timelines.

vkn: AYW dates of Nov conference in Atlanta inclusive please

AYWalton: Nov 12-13th

alt: that's the key to a research trip Ingrid_Doweary... deannie pointed that out just the other day on how she prepares for her trips to Ft. Wayne.

vkn: oops why did I think 18th oops twice

Ingrid_Doweary: Oops. Did I miss something?

daviss: now Spivey when that problem surfaced in my area of research, we had to get records from the water dept because of a pipe they wanted to run though property to feed a plant about 30 miles away

Ingrid_Doweary: What was the key you were referring to?

alt: how to plan for a trip to a research facility Ingrid_Doweary

Spivey: Yes, daviss, wonderful what records will surface once you have an idea of what the area your ancestors lived was like. Kudos to vkn for twisting my arm to get me to look at maps.

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, Alt. I understand.

daviss: no roads to get to the adjoining land lol

Spivey: Yep. :)

AYWalton: I always enjoy looking at maps.

daviss: so your arm was twisted spivey

AYWalton: I even used some maps in one of my recent blog posts, to find a mystery black settlement in Oklahoma.

Ingrid_Doweary: I like the map investigation because it helps me refresh my geography and navigating skills.

Spivey: Well, she kept talking and talking to me about the importance of looking at maps daviss, so I finally gave in. Glad I did. Still don't like maps though.

AYWalton: http://african-nativeamerican.blogspot.com/2010/08/story-of-old-negro-settlement-on-edge.html in our beginner's group at our genealogy meeting we point out that genealogy crosses many disciplines----including geography.

Ingrid_Doweary: So Spivey what is it about maps that displeases you?

alt: I see folks looking for land records for their ancestors and they never think to look at tax records to see if their ancestors were property owners in the given area

AYWalton: One has to place one's ancestor's on the appropriate historical landscape. alt have you seen Deborah Abbott's presentation on land records?

Spivey: Not displeasure Ingrid_Doweary, dislike. Maps have all these squiggly lines and I find them hard to figure out.

alt: yes I have AYWalton

Ingrid_Doweary: That's what I love about genealogy, because it touches a large variety of disciplines.

AYWalton: it is fantastic!!

Spivey: Indeed it does Ingrid_Doweary.

alt: and they look for farmland when their folks lived in a mountainous area.

Ingrid_Doweary: Do you use a magnifying glass or map reader with your maps, Spivey?

vkn: Spivey Bill Dollarhide is a great map guru

Spivey: I have a built-in magnifier on my computer program Ingrid_Doweary. I usually print them out and enlarge them though because that makes it much easier for me. I don't know him vkn.

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay. I see, Spivey.

AYWalton: oh yes, I still have some wonderful old Dollarhide maps for the areas that I research.

daviss: I use a magnifying glass ingrid but know nothing about a map reader

AYWalton: especially as the county lines changed.

daviss: where would you get that

Ingrid_Doweary: old Dollarhide, AY?

AYWalton: oh yes, Ingrid.

Spivey: There are sites online that have enlargements as well. I have not heard of a map reader either.

AYWalton: He is probably online now, I bought some of his old maps years ago, when he sold them individually by state. Still every useful.

alt: what's the difference between a map and a gazeteer (sp) ?

Ingrid_Doweary: I bought one from the Discovery Channel store years ago.

AYWalton: and as genealogists---we need to know as much as possible about the counties where our ancestors lived. of course there is always something new to learn all the time.

Spivey: I know the difference alt but not able to explain it in words. Gazeteers usually are much more detailed as they are based on geographical surveys I think.

daviss: I try and get everything I can about Harrison County texas

AYWalton: wise thinking, daviss.

alt: okay Spivey.. that'll work

Ingrid_Doweary: Alt, here's a link to a definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazetteer

daviss: The next step is to venture into the nearest county next door

Spivey: :) I hope so alt. Not sure my explanation is correct though.

alt: links aren't working for me tonight Ingrid_Doweary, but thanks.. I was just trying to point out that all maps aren't equal.

AYWalton: with Dollarhide maps you can learn how the counties changed, and if they did, and by how much.

Spivey: WOW! I was right! Thanks Ingrid_Doweary! :}

Ingrid_Doweary: There you go, Daviss

vkn: alt is your java current?

Spivey: A gazetteer is a geographical dictionary or directory, an important reference for information about places and place names (see: toponomy), used in conjunction with a map or a full atlas.

alt: i thought it was/is vkn .. I could get to links earlier today in the afternoon chat.

vkn: daviss we need to look at the genealogy of the county

Ingrid_Doweary: Here's another try at it, Alt: A gazetteer is a geographical dictionary or directory, an important reference for information about places and place names (see: toponomy), used in conjunction with a map or a full atlas. Okay, Spivey. You beat me to it. Thanks.

daviss: for sure vkn

alt: exactly.. maps, atlas, gazetter, they aren't all the same was my point.

Spivey: I didn't know you were going to put it up Ingrid_Doweary. I did because alt is having problems with links tonight.

daviss: survey maps are good also because they have names that may be associated with your family

alt: and for reference to land ownership we have to use county plat maps showing range, township & section to locate properties http://tinyurl.com/26nywjr

Ingrid_Doweary: No problem Spivey. Thnx

AYWalton: good to see you put up those maps, alt on your tribal pages site.

alt: county plat map from 1857 showing ancestors property,, wth location, name & acreage

Ingrid_Doweary: For sure

alt: I can't even get to the link I put up there LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: I saw an article years ago from the aahgs newsletter about county plat maps. I still have some the back newsletters and articles.

vkn: Not sure how I got such bad info needing your help to get it straight

AYWalton: November 12-13th is the FHExpo in Georgia. There is not one in Baltimore--to my knowledge.

vkn: Maryland

AYWalton: nor any other city in Maryland, to my knowledge.

Spivey: Ingrid_Doweary here are the 'maps' I feature on my website. I wish I knew the program I used when I did the black and white maps. I can't find it, lost it when I changed computers. http://spivey-adams-familyhistory.net/Maps/MapsCoverPage.html

AYWalton: The AAHGS Conference will hold it's annual meeting October 7-10 though in Maryland.

vkn: Not knowing how to frame the question. for this medium. oops

Ingrid_Doweary: Neat Spivey.

daviss: mabe I will put a platt map on mine alt lol

Spivey: The ones in black and white I did using an online program Ingrid_Doweary, then downloaded them to my computer. As you can see, the program gave me the ability to add notes. If you ever come across that program or one like it please let me know.

alt: go for it daviss.. put your family location in 'context'

daviss: the nut won the Delaware primary

Ingrid_Doweary: Sure thing Spivey

daviss: and the other nut that sent racist email is leading in his race

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah Daviss, frustrating isn't it ?

daviss: I swear!

alt: Here is another favorite of mine showing the location of the the battle in KY where my ancestors were captured by the Shawnee and also my home town of Piqua... this map dates 1776-1780. http://tinyurl.com/2cr29h9

Ingrid_Doweary: That's the ticket, Alt.

daviss: you really have rich history alt

Spivey: Beautiful alt. Too bad you can't see it.

alt: click on the magnifier icon Spivey

daviss: why cant you spivey

Spivey: alt can't see it.

AYWalton: alt which browser are you using?

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks, Alt. That's what I need to add to my exhibit. A map for the USCT 4th Regimental History!

AYWalton: Internet explorer?

alt: Ie AYWalton

daviss: there is a magnifying glass

AYWalton: Try Firefox, or google chrome.

daviss: oops my two finger lateness lol

Spivey: alt can't access URLs from this room daviss.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm using Apple Safari web browser.

alt: I can put'em up there but can't click on the link

AYWalton: I use IE only once in a while.

daviss: I was asking why you could not see his link spivey rather his map

Ingrid_Doweary: I think I was using Firefox last time.

Spivey: I use IE almost exclusively. I don't have any problems with it. I can, daviss. ALT can't see it. The you was identifying alt, not me.

Ingrid_Doweary: I use other browsers for the opposite reason.

daviss: oh spivey he should know it by heart lol

Spivey: lol

AYWalton: if I have problem accessing a site sometimes switching browsers helps a lot.

Spivey: Teasing him when he is down daviss.

daviss: I C

alt: maps, I've got maps LOL

Spivey: Yeah, you just can't see them.

alt: I can see them in the background, just can't get to them thru the links spivey.

Spivey: Strange alt. Wonder what happened between this afternoon and tonight?

alt: only 'Da Shadow Knows' LOL

daviss: one of my friends bought a map for her hubby at the map store. She had it framed. It cost her almost three hundred dollars It was a map of his home town

Spivey: An old map daviss?

daviss: yes

alt: that's great daviss

daviss: She gave it to him for his BD

Spivey: Nice.

alt: was it from when he was a youngster, or even from an earlier date?

AYWalton: that is a neat gift!

Ingrid_Doweary: I agree

daviss: It was from an earlier date alt. I went to that same Map Store but my budget at the time would not allow me to get one lol

AYWalton: I understand that!

Ingrid_Doweary: I can relate, Daviss

daviss: It really looks nice on their family room wall

AYWalton: well folks, I had better run. You all have a great evening.

alt: Selma sent me a series of maps on Henrico/Goochland County, VA from the late 1600's to the early 1700's .. wonderful seeing how the slave ships came up the James river to richmond.

daviss: oh wow alt, thats really nice

3rdthawkins: Spivey uh um, adJUST Em is going crazy over here

Ingrid_Doweary: You were successful in tracking the ship routes, Alt?

Spivey: Okay 3rdthawkins.

alt: the maps showed how the ships came up the James River to Richmond Ingrid_Doweary ... didn't get to the ocean routes. thought you were on the phone 3rdthawkins

Ingrid_Doweary: But what you accomplished is a great starting point, Alt.

3rdthawkins: oops, forgot to take it off, thx alt

alt: it was Selma's work Ingrid_Doweary she is 'da map guru'

Ingrid_Doweary: Ok Kudos to Selma. Thanks for identifying Selma as 'da map guru'

daviss: well guess I will take off now also.. Kids need puter for homework

Ingrid_Doweary: Cya, Daviss.

daviss: you all stay strong lol

alt: and time for me to hit the sack Laters y'all

Spivey: Goodnight .

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy