Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-09-08

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:00:56
End: 13:36:05
Chatters: AmosNY, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, Spivey, vkn

Spivey: Hi daviss!

daviss: hi Spivey and brb

Spivey: Okay.

daviss: okay back.. people sure knocking on door early in the morning Too early for company Spivey

Spivey: It is. Usually here its the Seventh Day Adventists. I don't even know how they get into the building.

daviss: they come here too but this was some lady wanting to sell something for her daughters school I usually would think that the kids do that even if the parents stand in the back

Spivey: Yes, that is unusual. I had that happen once and I gave a check. It was a scam. LOL. She couldn't cash the check.

daviss: Other than the article you rec'd the other day, how has your research been/ ?

Spivey: It has been going along. I am not much interested in doing much now and when I get that way it's better I don't push because that leads me to make mistakes. I think that article made my year.

daviss: ok so are you working on your page

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Spivey: No. LOL.

daviss: Hello YWalton!

AYWalton: Hello daviss, hi Spivey

Spivey: Hi AYWalton!

daviss: oops AYWalton

AYWalton: lol hope you are both doing well. I am popping in for a few moments.

daviss: How are you doing

AYWalton: have lots of things to get done today. doing well and you?

daviss: Are you getting ready for another presentation AYWalton?

AYWalton: that, too, daviss.

Spivey: daviss, I hadn't updated my website for months. Unfortunately those were the months when I got tons of information on my KELSEY line. I did start entering some of it. I have to do a family group sheet for each one and I have about 20 of them to do.

daviss: ahhh! and where is this one?

AYWalton: just tons of projects---newsletter, laetters, bills as well.

daviss: lots of work Spivey

AYWalton: Smithsonian, AAHGS conference in DC coming up. have a trip to Oklahoma in about 2 weeks as well, so staying busy.

daviss: Bills! lol I hate that word

Spivey: It was the interim where Yahoo! closed down Geocities and I had to wait for the transfer to my own domain. I couldn't do much on the site for a few months.

daviss: I see! Well Good luck with that Spivey

Spivey: Oh, by the way, if anyone had a free site up at Yahoo! Geocities, they closed it down and re-named it Reocities.

daviss: Whats happening in OK AYWalton?

Spivey: The information is still online but the person can't update or change it in any way.

daviss: thanks but I dont have one

Spivey: Thanks for the good wishes daviss.

AYWalton: there is a conference at the Five Tribes museum Storytellers conference. Several colleagues and I decided to attend---plus we are contributing to one of their exhibits. what is your website spivey? and I got a free ticket to travel, so what the heck.

daviss: I hear ya AYWalton

Spivey: http://www.spivey-adams-familyhistory.net

AYWalton: thanks for the link, spivey

daviss: I am surprised you and alt have not bumped ancestors spivey

Spivey: No. Neither have I and Ed Adams and Ed even has Spiveys in his line.

daviss: you're kidding, where are his Spivey's

Spivey: Isn't he in Minnesota or somewhere like that?

daviss: just wondering where they originated

Spivey: I don't know. So far, we haven't made any connection but one never knows.

daviss: there are tons in Texas I never even heard of the name before you lol

Spivey: It is rumored that some of my ancestors were taken to Texas by their owner. He sold some and kept some to work on his own plantation there. Spivey ancestors that is. Now you see it all over the place right? I think genealogy proves there is no such thing as an uncommon name.

daviss: for sure AYWalton are you through transcribing your 10 for Low Country

AYWalton: yes I finished!! gotta get my badge.

Spivey: LOL.

daviss: good for you what about you Spivey have you done any?

Spivey: Nope.

daviss: do you want too lol

Spivey: Never transcribed. I don't think so.

daviss: ok

Spivey: I see where there are a lot of sites looking for transcribers though. I thought about it and am still thinking.

daviss: who else besides Family Search and Low Country?

Spivey: However, I need to spend as much time away from this computer as I can and that is very little these days.

daviss: I would love to get wind of a Texas site

Spivey: I ran across a site yesterday that was. I can't remember the name of it now.

daviss: well if you remember and its for Texas let me know AYWalton I dont remember if you were online yesterday when alt said he had to have a procedure done today

AYWalton: oh I did not realize that!! hopefully nothing too serious.

Spivey: Why is Low Country looking for transcribers? I thought they partnered with Footnote to do that for them. Was it an angioplasty daviss?

daviss: yes thats it

AYWalton: No Footnote has agreed to host images from 23 reels of microfilm! covering more than 4 decades of data on slaves.

daviss: Estates and Inventories

AYWalton: the images---have been digitized for free by Footnote! the original images are there. but they need to be transcribed.

daviss: Have you been on the blog yet aywaltons

AYWalton: and their staff is busy acquiring new images to digitize---and that is what they do. they digitize---they don't index. volunteers are needed for that. I have been to the blog, but the past 2 days was busy doing my indexing.

AYWalton: did you do yours daviss? Just like the Freedmen's bureau---records need to be indexed to help folks find their folks.

daviss: I have done about 50 AYWalton

AYWalton: that is great!!!! do you have your badge?

daviss: I have not picked it up yet Mabe when I get tired of transcribing lol

AYWalton: you might qualify for a bronze level already.

daviss: oh yeah more than likely

Spivey: What do these medals get you? Like a free subscription to Footnote or something like that?

AYWalton: The badges are to encourage VOLUNTEERS to assist with a worthwhile cause. it is a way for those who volunteer to note that they have volunteered.

AYWalton: No there is no financial benefit for volunteering.

Spivey: Okay. Like a resume item. Payment would void the meaning of volunteer.

daviss: Since I have a blog I will post it there

AYWalton: exactly. and some remarkable data is coming forth. the split of of a family was noted---and it told where the slaves were sent to after they were split up.

daviss: I am not a SC researcher but it is rewarding none the less

Spivey: South Carolina is where my daughter's paternal side comes from, so I dabble there a bit.

AYWalton: It is more than rewarding!! it is also amazing---some of these records are so old and so data rich!

daviss: agreed about the data AYWalton. familes, ages, who was the child of who, payments on loaned slaves on and on and on

Spivey: What kind of records were these daviss? All kinds?

daviss: Estate and Inventories Spivey

Spivey: Oh, I have seen some interesting estate inventories.

daviss: oh yes!

Spivey: Where a piece of furniture is valued at more than 3o slaves.

daviss: or a pic ax or mule

Spivey: Exactly.

daviss: hello AmosNY

AmosNY: Hi everyone!

Spivey: I notice how the person detailed every item in some cases, even down to combs and brushes.

daviss: yep! duplicate names identified such as Charles, charles, little charles to seperate old to young

Spivey: The household slaves WERE named though because they were bequeathed to a particular family member. Not so the other slaves who were just grouped together under the heading '40 slaves' or something like that. Not even a breakdown by age or sex.

daviss: not so Spivey I have indexed up to 300 slaves all named with ages and price from one owner

Spivey: Not on the wills I saw daviss. Not many, but several. Of course these were Georgia wills so that may have made a difference. Practice may have varied.

daviss: I am working on one now that has about 60 names or so ok

Spivey: That is indeed a find for anyone researching that slave owner.

daviss: for sure some are even identified with the work they do such as carpenter

Spivey: Wow. I have seen very few Georgia wills with that kind of detail except for the slaves who were household slaves. Some of them were identified by trade as well.

daviss: Thats why these are so important to get out there

Spivey: I hear you daviss, but I haven't made up my mind.

daviss: lol well I am here if you make up your mind

Spivey: I help some people with their research and I don't want to commit to another project. As it is, my own research is suffering because I get tired of it all.

daviss: I understand

Spivey: Even my games on Facebook are suffering! I dropped a few of them much to the dismay of the young ones in my family.

daviss: one thing though Spivey if you have a ton of obits that your mother may have kept we could sure use them here at afrigeneas in our database You could input at your leisure :? hello Ingrid!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Daviss and Spivey. How are you all?

Spivey: My mother's boxes of photos and documents disappeared after she died daviss. The only things I found were the very personal documents like a copy of my dad's birth certificate. That's probably because she kept them in her night stand drawer. Hi Ingrid_Doweary!

daviss: good Ingrid! Disappeared!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: That's tragic Spivey.

Spivey: This is especially hurtful to me daviss because I think my niece took them. She was living with her brother in his basement at the time and the basement flooded. I think she is afraid to own up to taking them.

daviss: Oh my!

Spivey: There were two boxes crammed full and I looked through them each time I visited my mother so I know they were there.

AYWalton: back briefly. howdy Ingrid.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AY.

daviss: wb AYWalton

Spivey: Maybe that was the start of my genealogy quest, come to think of it. I loved going through those boxes of letters, cards, photos, etc.

AYWalton: thanks.

Spivey: Welcome back AYWalton.

Ingrid_Doweary: Spivey were the photos from the same photographer?

AYWalton: thanks spivey. Greetings, VKN!!!!!

daviss: hello vkn!

vkn: howdy frens and kins

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh AY, any feedback on the Civil War powerpoint I sent you? Hey Vkn.

Spivey: Here is a cute one for you all. My mother's brother sent her a card each Christmas, faithfully, and always enclosed a photo of the outside of his house. No people, just the house.

daviss: that is cute Spivey!

Spivey: The thought still makes me laugh daviss.

vkn: cute

daviss: I have heard about two sisters that sent the same xmas card every year to each other

Spivey: People are what they are I guess.

AYWalton: I thought it was good, Ingrid.

Spivey: Oh. LOL. That one is cute daviss.

AYWalton: It has been a while since I looked at it, but I enjoyed it.

vkn: absolutely spivey and acceptance is key

Spivey: So true vkn. Anyone ever hear of a program called GIMP? Sorta like photoshop but is supposedly free?

daviss: brb

Spivey: Anyone know of any reliable photo restorers?

AYWalton: George Geder Terry Ligon.

vkn: memory fails though name is familiar re gimp

Spivey: George Geder does not respond to my e-mails AYWalton. I have been trying for over a year.

AYWalton: I think he has a different email, these days.

Spivey: Terry Ligon? Oh, I didn't know he did photo restoration.

AYWalton: he has made lots of changes, so you might have an old email. He is talented.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'll make some inquiries on about, Spivey.

Spivey: I sent to each of his e-mail addresses listed on his website, AYWalton. The last time was earlier this year.

AYWalton: He is also on Facebook.

Spivey: I sent him an e-mail through Facebook as well AYWalton. I tried everything and am now looking elsewhere. I used to correspond with Terry Ligon. What is the name of his group[?] using the term lightly.

daviss: I cant help you there Spivey

Spivey: Not in the sense of group like here I don't think. Like a website kind of thing.

daviss: oh

AYWalton: his site is www.estelusti.com

Spivey: That's it. Estelusti! Thanks AYWalton.

vkn: I would ask the help of all here to test the functionality of AfriGeneans Talking over the next several days any takers

Spivey: What is AfriGeneans Talking?

daviss: splain vkn.. is it not working

vkn: oops must go to other box to send url

daviss: do you mean to chat?

AYWalton: sorry was on the phone. send the link and I will take a look, vkn.

vkn: afrigeneantalking/ning.com

Ingrid_Doweary: Sure, Vkn.

daviss: http://afrigeneantalking.ning.com/

vkn: thanx vicky daviss

AYWalton: time to put the AfriGeneas videos in there, I can see.

Spivey: What is it you would like us to do vkn?

vkn: the developer at tetra is getting more difficult to continue with and ning seems to offer more now possibilities spivey i sent you an invite days ago do i need to resend. go in look around test the potential and tell me what you think

AYWalton: would the ning site take the place of anything, vkn?

vkn: no would be the best of each combined ayw

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

Spivey: I didn't get an e-mail with an invite vkn. The only e-mail concerned the usage of PQ or one of those programs you have.

vkn: ning is very similar to fb will resend look in your trash folder

AYWalton: Just wondering if having something new---meaning another environment to work in--how will it be received. and since we have a presence on FB, I was wondering what the advantage was.

vkn: AYW cannot move without moving lol have to test to determine

AYWalton: lol I hear ya, vkn!!! well folks I have to run. Have a great day everybody!

vkn: all here are already there cepn spivey

Ingrid_Doweary: One FB drawback for me that I cannot play the games. They are way above my head and time consuming.

vkn: what advantage do you see at AfriGenean talking Spivey sending you another invite

Ingrid_Doweary: AfriGenean for me is more constructive in terms of presenting information in multiple formats-print, photo, video, digital, etc.

vkn: I thrive on feedback lol so thankee

Ingrid_Doweary: I see a more intellectual freedom with AfriGenean.

daviss: gotta run vkn and others.

Ingrid_Doweary: Me also

vkn: okies check your mail spivey in about ten minutes

Spivey: vkn I can't join. The site wants me to enter a cell phone number.

vkn: Not required

Spivey: It won't let me past that screen.

vkn: hmmmm try again in about ten and if that is still a barrier email me

Spivey: Okay. I typed in 'not applicable' and it went through.

vkn: I will talk with you from there This test is critical

Spivey: Okay. I will sign out here. You coming Ingrid_Doweary?

vkn: thanx

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy