Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-09-07

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:06
End: 13:34:19
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Selma, Spivey, vkn

daviss: hello Spivey

Spivey: Hi daviss!

daviss: how was your yesterday?

Spivey: Great! As a matter of fact, I had something proven that I lived through, but could never find evidence of until yesterday. I am still in awe! A fellow researcher found it for me.

daviss: thats wonderful Spivey! Care to share?

Spivey: Let me get the URL. http://digitalcollections.fiu.edu/tequesta/files/1990/90_1_02.pdf NOW I can document that history. People used to think I was crazy when I spoke of growing up walled in.

daviss: lol was this in Fl

Spivey: Yes.

daviss: oh I see it now lol trying to read fast lol

Spivey: My family lived in the Liberty Square part I believe. I also believe, and have for years, that it was the Blacks in Liberty Square who dynamited the part of the wall where we lived.

daviss: keep out all you black folks

Spivey: Keep us in. I didn't know until reading this that the Black community was walled in. The whole community. I was young so had no idea of the extent of that wall.

daviss: Very interesting reading. look at that picture

Spivey: I never saw a shack. Where we lived it looked like the photo of the Carver Village housing.

daviss: Well Spivey looks like you have a real piece of history here. you know when we are young we don't notice things like that

Spivey: I searched for years daviss. It just goes to show that information will eventually turn up, so never give up.

daviss: I remember going over to cousins and spending the night. They had about 8 kids

Spivey: I think that the shacks must have been in a part of the area that I never visited.

daviss: I never realized that the house was only a 3 bedroom until I was grown and went back for a visit The rooms in that house were so tiny My first thought was how in the world did everyone fit

Spivey: I was talking to someone last night about how our perspectives change when we grow up.

daviss: We never gave it a thought as to where we were sleeping lol and they always had company

Spivey: Sounds about right.

daviss: I was telling a friend also when she commented about so many people dying I told her that our parents prolly thought the same thing but we were to young to know those things

Spivey: Exactly.

daviss: its like a wheel within a wheel keeps on turning

Spivey: Yes. And eventually, everyone has his/her day.

AYWalton: Good afternoon all. Hello daviss, Spivey! hope you are both well today.

Spivey: Very and you?

daviss: I am fair, how about you?

AYWalton: doing well, thanks.

Spivey: daviss and I were just reminiscing. LOL.

AYWalton: I see.

daviss: The eyes of a child

AYWalton: good memories I hope.

Spivey: About how our perspectives of people and places change when we get older than we were when we first witnessed them. A house that seemed huge turns out to be a tiny shack, etc.

AYWalton: true

daviss: even as a teen lol a boyfriend then and the way he looks now

AYWalton: how the old downtown seemed to go on forever and it is only 2 blocks long. lol Greetings VKN!

Spivey: Through the eyes of a child is a good way of putting it daviss. Hi vkn and Selma.

AYWalton: Howdy Ms. Selma!!!

daviss: hello Selma!

vkn: Backat each of y'all

Spivey: Back atcha too vkn!

vkn: uh oh sounds like a wheel is turning

daviss: Spivey shared a link about a place in Fl where her family lived once upon a time

Spivey: Not in my brain. I'm working on it though. 8) 8)

daviss: It's good reading

Spivey: http://digitalcollections.fiu.edu/tequesta/files/1990/90_1_02.pdf I grew up in Liberty Square to give a frame of reference.

AYWalton: wb Selma!

Spivey: Welcome back Selma.

daviss: wb Selma

Spivey: I was thinking this looks like a thesis daviss.

vkn: Where in Florida Spivey

Selma: I gotta change computers to get to the link..

daviss: could be Spivey

Spivey: A location called Liberty City vkn. Liberty City, Miami, Dade County, Florida. The county is now called Miami-Dade County thanks to the influence of the Cuban imigre's.

vkn: ohhh ok Dade Now I recall that you were Miami and I know the Liberty City area well

Spivey: You do vkn? Wow.

AYWalton: Very interesting piece.

Spivey: NW 65th Street was my 'stomping' ground.

vkn: First visited Liberty City in 1948. Black fokes had sort o f a resort around the Bay of Miami. Similar to Fernandina

Spivey: The Bay of Miami? I never heard of it, but maybe that's where Black folks went fishing.

vkn: Butlers and Maids were considered "highest of society" in that era

Spivey: We went all over: Tampa, Opa Locka, Coral Gables. My mom was a maid. I lived on premises with her. Until my sisters joined us, then she got the apartment in Liberty City.

vkn: Mup de mups yall were!

Spivey: That's a new term for me.

vkn: lol

Spivey: When my mother switched to day jobs, my sisters and I used to have to clean on the weekends for some of her customers. At least my sisters did. I was too young.

daviss: Now thats who would have had a story to tell.. Butlers and maids I bet they heard a lot

Spivey: I would imagine daviss! Flies on the wall.

daviss: and saw a lot lol

vkn: They were managers daviss

Spivey: I saw a lot. I saw the woman's two sons naked as jay birds. Didn't know what I was looking at and stood staring in awe. They were screaming to beat the band.

AYWalton: there is a good book about women who worked as maids in Washington DC. I have forgotten the title. I think a professor at Howard wrote it.

vkn: There is a book, Selma, about the Butlers and Maids in DC cannot recall title but is good reading.

Selma: I can't remember either vkn...

vkn: ahhhhh AYW great minds lol l

daviss: was that the one about up the down stairwell

Spivey: I saw one episode of The Real Housewives of DC.

daviss: or something like that

Selma: Maids and butlers and day workers heard and saw it all...

Spivey: Maybe I should watch it to learn something more about the goings on there.

Selma: Taxi Drivers

AYWalton: and how they were always tested for their honesty---when the woman of the house would put change under the sofa pillows.

daviss: yeah AYWalton for sure

AYWalton: and insist that they vacuum underneath. they knew they were being tested.

vkn: The biggest social event in Miami was the Butlers and Maids Ball. people would die for tickets

daviss: oh really vkn

Spivey: I never heard of it. Maybe my mother served there.

AYWalton: now that is interesting, vkn, I never heard about that. I bet it was big deal.

vkn: BIG

AYWalton: one has to think----they were probably the ones with the most steady work.

Selma: This was considered good jobs..depending on who you worked for

Spivey: AYWalton where I grew up the women were either maids or on social services. No in between.

AYWalton: what stories to tell.

Spivey: The professional Black people lived in their own enclave.

daviss: I had a 2nd cousin who was Alan Ladds maid. When he passed away he left her several houses

vkn: Also remember the "snow birds" were away for a major portion of the year and the Black fokes were in charge managing everything

Spivey: I found information on a Snow Bird KELSEY who died as an infant. I can't place him or her in my tree, but the name was interesting.

daviss: was that a real name or nickname Spivey

Spivey: Real daviss.

AYWalton: I thought the term snow birds referred to the white folks who owned the homes.

vkn: Daviss most of the Black population in Santa Barbara migrated from TX as Butlers and Maids to the wealthy peeps of Montecito.

Spivey: Maybe adapted from the 'snow birds' AYWalton talked about.

daviss: snow birds flock to Phx in the winter

Spivey: I thought maybe she or he was an albino, hence the name Snow Bird.

vkn: agreed AYW re snow bird definition

daviss: they love the idea of wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts lol

vkn: and they were 90 % Jewish AYW

Spivey: Aw heck. I just looked at the chatters' list. I am severely outnumbered.

daviss: only in color spivey but not in gender

Spivey: Oh, you're right. I wonder where alt is?

daviss: just say we are the rainbow coalition now :?

Spivey: ROTFL.

vkn: what means "severely" ???

Spivey: Has anyone heard from free lately?

Selma: Did you leave Florida as an adult Spivey?

vkn: I was wondering where free be

Spivey: No, Selma. I was just going into my teens. My mother and father reconciled and my mother moved us to New York where my father had already migrated.

AYWalton: maybe a busy day at the NC Archives today.

Selma: The change in weather musta been a shock

vkn: ahhhhh I am a bit slow now the color thing just dawned on me now I get it ... catch up vkn

Spivey: Busy days. I haven't seen her in a while. Yes vkn! Not even posting on Facebook.

daviss: oh really

vkn: Only had a small bowl of oatmeal so far today. Brain is starved.

AYWalton: lol, it took me a while, too, vkn!

daviss: hehehehehehe

Selma: I didn't figure it out until daviss said "color".... LOL

daviss: Am I good or what lol lol

Spivey: I'm going to sacrifice and spend on that CD daviss. It's gonna hurt because I just bought the Roots Anniversary Edition special.

Selma: Obviously you had your Wheaties today vicky

vkn: U B good

daviss: lol @ Selma

AYWalton: which CD Spivey? greetings, alt!

daviss: hi alt!

AYWalton: We wondered where you were.

Selma: Hi Alt...Anita got you working

Spivey: The one by Shamele Jordan AYWalton. Alt recommended her because he heard her presentation at a conference. Hi alt! Every time I wonder where you are, there you are! LOL.

AYWalton: oh you mean her presentation on CD, or has she produced a CD?

Spivey: I think the CD was produced by a historical society AYWalton. You have to buy it to get her presentation. alt was fortunate that he attended that conference.

alt: I was up in the 'old country' this morning Selma, just got back home.

Spivey: Where is the old country alt?

AYWalton: howdy 3rd

Spivey: Hi 3rdthawkins!

3rdthawkins: hey hey hey!!!! (my my bill cosby-fat albert voice)

alt: Piqua, Ohio Spivey, bout 40 miles from here.

vkn: AYW the author of the migration book will do a presentation in Atlanta this weekend I think it is a signing BUT there is a $10.00 fee which I am not understanding

Spivey: My odds have improved dramatically since alt and 3rdthawkins got here. Whew!

3rdthawkins: Hey-Hey-Hey (In my Dwayne Voice)

Spivey: A fee for a signing vkn?

alt: you were out numbered, huh Spivey

AYWalton: and then one has to purchase the book, too? Hmm........

Spivey: You betcha alt! 8)

3rdthawkins: what odds is that Spivey?

Spivey: I was outnumbered 3rdthawkins.

Selma: Maybe it is being used as a fund raiser VKN..who is sponsoring?

3rdthawkins: oh

vkn: 3rd that sounds like Willie Mays to me, right alt?

3rdthawkins: vkn Dwayne/Duane from What's Happening

AYWalton: say hey!!! I ama Willie Mays fan!

alt: you betcha vkn LOL

Selma: Wasn't there a biography of Willie Mays written recently

3rdthawkins: never heard Willie Mays say that we are talking about the Baseball player, Right?

Spivey: I haven't heard anything about it Selma.

vkn: Not sure selma but he be the hey hey hey kid

daviss: I have not seen a bio out re Mays.. would love to get it though

3rdthawkins: so that's way before my time, I always thought it was What's Happening and Fat Albert, that's all I know

Selma: http://www.amazon.com/Willie-Mays-Legend-James-Hirsch/dp/1416547908

3rdthawkins: don't punish me Spivey I was only born in 1979

Spivey: Way too much television watching 3rdthawkins.

alt: got my order in for a couple of T-shirts vkn... one each, black & white.

daviss: thanks Selma!

3rdthawkins: lol lol ROTFL (wish we had that icon)

vkn: YEAHHHHHH Alt

Spivey: Maybe that's where Bill Cosby came up with Fat Albert's signature line.

3rdthawkins: possibly but I have learned that a lot of stuff that I have heard in my lifetime (1979-Present) came waaay before I was born

alt: no kidding 3rdthawkins LOL

3rdthawkins: I watch old movies and they would say something, and I would be like, "They said that back then?".......Then I realize that's where people got it from

Spivey: Oh I was there for the great flood, 3rdthawkins. I musta been because a lot of history I know happened before I was born, or so I thought.

vkn: 3rdthawkins it is called "standing on the shoulders of..." lol

3rdthawkins: I learned that today in movie and television, it's just a copy of what's already been done for the first ime in the 20s 30s 40s 50s, etc. nothing is original today, and I don't like it

Spivey: You are original 3rdthawkins.

alt: visited the cemetery where our Adams 'progenitor', his wife, mother and a couple of children are buried during the Reunion weekend.... Markers dating form 1843, it was 'awesome'...

daviss: did you take pics alt?

Spivey: Human nature hasn't changed 3rdthawkins since Adam and Eve.

3rdthawkins: true Spivey

alt: yes I did daviss, mine didn't turn out that well, hopiing others got better shots and they will share.

Selma: I bet it was alt...

alt: I now have to do some reading to learn th significance of the symbols on the markers.

Selma: Oh there were symbols?

daviss: I bet those older ones had some remarkable symbols masons for sure alt

alt: an open bible, a baby deer, a weeping willow tree, and clasped hands

Selma: Don't you think they might have been typical of the time frame..when did they die?

alt: Selma, they even had death date and age in years, months & days. I'm sure that is it Selma.. time & place, etc.

vkn: Spivey was just watching the re broadcast of some of the Harlem bookfair and on the Religious writers panel there was a big discussion that EVE ( females) were EVil Ever blah blah blah all because of "the apple" bite in the garden. Was interesting

Spivey: Women continue to bear the blame for male misbehavior vkn. Who was the dog chasing in the alley? A cat. No one bothers to ask what the dog was doing in the alley in the first place.

vkn: bad bad spivey go to your room lol

alt: come on y'all Adam didn't eat the apple.

Spivey: He did take a bite alt.

AYWalton: have to step away. Have a great day everyone.

3rdthawkins: see, you start talking about the Bible, and you run AY off

alt: okay, I'm thru with it LOL

daviss: I just bought a bag of apples :?

vkn: and alt be an Adam but so do Spivey lol lol

Spivey: Now, 3rdthawkins, you're making an assumption.

3rdthawkins: Just saying Spivey :}

Spivey: LOL daviss.

3rdthawkins: lol daviss It really wasnt an apple.......but

vkn: chop chop chop daviss

daviss: lol @ vkn

vkn: My dentures say no to apples daviss they go with the bite lol lol

daviss: then there's sauce vkn lol

alt: me too vkn, gotta be 'sliced & diced' LOL

vkn: I know I know Also known as gumming it daviss

daviss: lol lol

alt: sliced, diced & soft too LOL

Spivey: I am trying to NOT pay attention here. I am eating croaker fish and will get a bone stuck in my throat if I keep laughing.

daviss: what is a croaker fish

Spivey: Delicious but has a LOT of bones daviss.

daviss: never heard of it is it like a Buffalo fish

vkn: Croaker is what southerners eat daviss they are one step above Mullett

Spivey: Better than whiting or porgies daviss.

Selma: What is Butter Fish

Spivey: Butter fish is too mild for me.

daviss: never heard of a butter fish either

Selma: I am partial to Flounder

daviss: flounder born with one eye

Selma: We use to eat butter fish...growing up in NY we would go to the fish market..they would pull the fish from the tank

Spivey: I am getting a fish lesson from the lady that cooks the fish for you. There are warm water fish and cold water fish. They had a problem getting whitings this summer because the water was too warm everywhere.

vkn: with only one eye selma

daviss: or are they two on one side and one moves to the other side as they mature

Selma: Think there are two eyes

vkn: Tilapia is the the big catch here with Cat Fish on the side

Spivey: Tilapia has been proven to be unhealthy for cholesterol levels vkn.

alt: I loves me some Catfish vkn

daviss: I love cat and Tilapia

Selma: Had Cat Fish when I lived in TN...I enjoyed it but it is not something I cook

3rdthawkins: *meow*

vkn: Me to alt

daviss: and could use a mess of crappie and bluegill

Spivey: I used to like catfish until they started raising it on 'farms'.

daviss: with some smothered potatoes

3rdthawkins: Is it ironic that it's called CATfish, and fish is Cats favorite food???

vkn: That is the economic base in Mississippi Spivey. You gotta farm catfish to survive

Spivey: It's nasty vkn.

3rdthawkins: I wonder if Catfish, eats itself

daviss: its good to me spivey

3rdthawkins: *meow* *meow*

vkn: and crawdads

Spivey: Catfish have whiskers like a cat 3rdthawkins. That's where the name comes from

alt: dunno, but they pull some huge ones out of the Lakes up here.

3rdthawkins: yeah, I know Spivey, just wondering

Spivey: Crawdads are a waste of time.

daviss: when I lived in Texas I would go fishing almost daily

alt: really daviss, so you is just an old fashioned country girl?

daviss: not if you have as much as you want spivey. Louisiana style yummy

vkn: People in Albany GA luv craw daddies and cole slaw and plenty of tabasco

Spivey: I can't deal with the work for getting so little meat daviss.

daviss: I love to fish alt. dont know where I get it from unless it were from an Ancestor somewhere

Spivey: Cuisines here in America are so varied, I find. American cuisine that is.

Selma: Folks gotta run have a great day

Spivey: The first time I had barbecued pork served with cole slaw I thought I was in heaven. Texas dish.

alt: me too..might be out of the loop for a day or so... gonna have some angioplasty surgery done tomorrow.

daviss: Now you have me thinking of going to the store and getting some catfish

alt: laters y'all

daviss: oh really alt! take care of yourself

vkn: Oh dear alt all the best

Spivey: Bye alt. Take care and I hope it goes well for you.

alt: ty everyone

daviss: prayers out to you already alt

3rdthawkins: yeah, hope it goes well

vkn: Well winding down yall BTW when this room shuts down the lobby is always open just put some chairs in there and talk

Spivey: We probably made him hungry as well. Isn't this about the time he eats lunch?

daviss: yes I think so re alt

3rdthawkins: thx for telling us vkn

daviss: I think I will cruise the boards.. thx for sharing that piece spivey

3rdthawkins: you know daviss, you and vkn make AfriGeneas what it is

daviss: oh no not me 3rd

Spivey: What do you all think of this idea? My niece's mother in law just passed. I asked her daughter to talk to her grandfather and get family information from him

3rdthawkins: you have your part in it too daviss

Spivey: I figure he would like to talk about family seeing as how he just lost his wife. Am I on the right thinking track?

3rdthawkins: probably could give it a while?

daviss: How old is he Spivey

3rdthawkins: but it would be a great time to do it and talk about it

Spivey: In his early 70's daviss. Which is it 3rdthawkins?

3rdthawkins: the latter Spivey

Spivey: Okay, thanks.

3rdthawkins: especially since he's in his 80s 70s

Spivey: They were married for over 50 years. Married shortly after meeting.

daviss: He is more than likely a pillar of strength then Spivey.. That may do him some good but a little at a time he may open up more as time goes by

Spivey: Okay. Thanks. It will be a little at a time I imagine since my grand niece does not concentrate on any one thing for any length of time.

daviss: 'ok lol gotta run! bye

Spivey: Okay. Bye daviss.

3rdthawkins: bye daviss

Spivey: 3rd, shall I follow you?

3rdthawkins: yeah

Spivey: I am going to another chat now, L4K.

3rdthawkins: ok

Spivey: Okay. See you when you get there.

*TuesNite

Start: 21:16:13
End: 22:43:41
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, AYWalton, Ingrid_Doweary, invno1, Khathu, parkin244, Sadonya, Selma, vkn

Selma: Evening 3rd

3rdthawkins: hello Selma guess it will be a slow night???

Selma: Must be...I almost forgot myself Folks must still getting over the Labor Day festivities

3rdthawkins: must be hello Khathu

Khathu: hello 3rd and Selma

Selma: Evening Khathu Looks like folks are taking it easy this evening Khathu are you interested in getting information on that person who migrated to Norfolk VA

Khathu: yes i am

parkin244: Evening everyone

Khathu: The family was Guy and Laura Williams

Selma: A friend is coming to do some research at the Courthouse sometime in the next few weeks.. OK I am writing that down....did you check the city directories onine

Khathu: not yet....their daughters would probably be listed in the directories Estella Williams married John Nimmer

Selma: Do you know approximatley when

Khathu: Mamie Williams who married Louis Lumsden on 26 Jan 1918

parkin244: Evening Sadonya

Khathu: Ruth Williams and Johnnie Stines were married on 2 Feb 1918

Sadonya: hello 3rdthawkins parkin244 Selma Khathu

Selma: Evening Sadonya

parkin244: Nite all. I smell din-din :)

Selma: That was quick..LOL Dinner calls

3rdthawkins: din-din isn't calling, but the dishes are, don't feel like answering ;) :}

Sadonya: any new finds this week Selma do you have all 3 VA slave birth books?

Selma: Yes..5 volumes..

Sadonya: oh my

Selma: Do you want a look up

Sadonya: when you get a chance would you look up a Robert Johnson mother Margaret

Selma: Hold on

Sadonya: was a slave of the Bayne's but thinking maybe was a Johnson slave at some point

Selma: This starts in 1853 Do you know what county

Sadonya: he was born after that I think 1859 or so let me check

Selma: 13 Robert Johson's listed....only 3 mother's listed...no Margaret Quite a few bayn, bayne,

Sadonya: thanks for looking was any of those Robert's born in 1859? oh wow Selma left while my eyes were turned

vkn: must be lonely up in here

Sadonya: hey VKN they have come and gone

vkn: i see long days these days

Selma: Good evening invno1 welcome to the Tuesday night chat

vkn: 3rd good work for Keli

Selma: Evening INgrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rd, Sadonya, Selma, Vkn and Invno

invno1: Hi I am new here and thought I'd drop by to see how it worked

Sadonya: Selma were any of those Robert's born in 1859?

Selma: I thought Robert was the slave owner Sadonya These books are indexed alpha by Slave Owners..

Sadonya: no Washington Bayne in 1862 but not sure if he was the only slave owner of Robert Johnson Sr

Selma: Glad you came invno...what state and county are you researching I am checking Sadonya

invno1: I am in TN but researching Kentucky, Kansas and Arkansas so far

Sadonya: howdy Neighbor I am in TN also

invno1: the counties in kentucky are scott and franklin

Selma: Do you have a county Sadonya

Sadonya: Westmoreland

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid and invno1

invno1: Sadonya I am in Nashville to be specific. Hi to you neighbor

Sadonya: I am in Chattanooga how far back have you been able to go?

3rdthawkins: I use to live in Nashville, moved from there last year to Missouri

invno1: 1811!

Selma: There is one Washington BAYNE, child Maria, mother not named; Jan 1, 1858; Westermoreland

invno1: Hey 3rd, I just left Kansas last week

AYWalton: Good evening all. I knew something was going on on Tuesday evenings. Just remembered. howdy 3rd, Ingrd, invno1, Sadonya, Ms Selma!

Sadonya: hey Angela

Selma: One other Bayne in Westmoreland…R.V. Bayne, child Louisa; mother not named; Sept 20, 1858..

invno1: I am researching "exodusters" who migrated to Nicodemus, KS back in 1877. I have a lot of information but having a hard time following my ancestors after they got there and beyond

Sadonya: did they move around a lot?

AYWalton: that is great, invno1.

3rdthawkins: sorry vkn just got scrolled up and saw your message, thx

AYWalton: I research the western frontier--though more Indian Territory than exodusters per se, but their history also interests me as well.

invno1: From KY all the way to California and in between. a few are found in El Paso

vkn: okies 3rd invno1 are you in touch with Electra Price of Oakland?

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow. Invno1! I have a favorite movie which plays out that plot-Posse(1003) directed by Mario Van Peoples. William Katz's book the The Black West discusses that particular migration pattern.

invno1: Awesome AyWalton! I have a ton of information and work with the historical society in Nicodemus

AYWalton: ahhh yes, great history in Nicodemus!! Angela Bates I believe is the major historian.

invno1: Electra Price? No..

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh that is awesome, Invno1!

invno1: Angela is my cousin!

AYWalton: oh wonderful!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Nice.

AYWalton: I have admired her work to preserve Nicodemus for years!

Selma: First time I heard of Nicodemus was an article in Ebony magazine...long time ago..

Ingrid_Doweary: What was the article, Selma?

invno1: She is truly amazing and now we have a connection in Stamping Ground, KY where they are raising awareness to the connection to Kansas!

AYWalton: that's great!

vkn: Oops Electra has all of the data on migration descends

Selma: Ingrid it was over 30 years ago..think it was about Black towns

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay.

invno1: Forgive me but is Electra a website or person?

AYWalton: Electra Price is a person, invno1.

invno1: LOL, okay and how can he or she be reached? are we still on?

Selma: How many people migrated to Nicodemus in 1877 invono

AYWalton: I think that VKN might have her contact information, invon1.

invno1: approx 350 in the beginning

vkn: Send me your email invno1 to vkn@afrigeneas.com and i will forward to Electra

invno1: Awesome! I will have to put you on my Tuesday night calendar so that I can join you guys. Have to cancel my Zumba class I guess.....

Selma: Tell us about the museum invno1...you have displays? and records?

AYWalton: are you currently in Kansas, invon1?

Sadonya: he is in TN

invno1: Museum in ks?

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

Selma: Oh you said you work with the historical society I was thinking museum

invno1: I should say I work with Angela long distance on some of our family projects. Training to be an interviewer to do oral hx projects.

AYWalton: that is wonderful, invno1!! are there still many(any) elder Nicodemus residents around?

vkn: Correction: Electra is a genealogist invno1 who has spent a number of years tracking migration families and their descends

invno1: Our cousin Ora Switzer died in Feb at 106 and was lucid up until the moment she died. Only 26 people actually in the township itself.

AYWalton: Any old buildings still stand now?

invno1: 2 or three and one dugout that remains intact I went to my first Emancipation Homecoming this year and was absolutely awed!!!!

Selma: It was held in Nichodemus

invno1: yes

Selma: How many people came?

AYWalton: that is wonderful! is there a website for the homecoming?

Selma: Just so you know invno..we chat Mon thru Friday at Noon in the Lunchbunch room

invno1: because there was the death of Ora's son two weeks prior, a lot of people came for his funeral. So the crowd was estimated around 500 and usually about 1000

Selma: and Saturday evening at 9 PM and Sunday at 11AM..

invno1: that's a diff time to join you. I work in a hospital and am doing cases then:| :|

Selma: When the original group came in 1877, did they all come from one place (state, county)

invno1: The came from Tn, AL, KY and MS you can google nicodemus and find out more than the website can give you at this time. they are working on it. I will definetly join you again. I will say bye for now and nice to meet all of you! Happy hunting!!!

Selma: Glad you came..

invno1: Thanks....Ciao

Selma: Interesting history the exodusters

AYWalton: indeed and a very rich history! I really like that they are taking their history, embracing it, and telling their own stories!

Ingrid_Doweary: I guess I need to reframe from citing film titles and published text on such topics.

Selma: Don't understand Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Apparently they are irrelevant to the discussion. Either Invno1 didn't see the comment or there was some other reason to not respond to the statements I made.

Selma: This was their first time in the room...I think she was just trying to get use to reading all the sentences

AYWalton: what was that, Ingrid?

Selma: She/he..not sure

AYWalton: I missed it. I suspect that their being new might have had something to do with it.

Ingrid_Doweary: I cited a movie, Posse and cited The Black West by William Katz.

AYWalton: I think I recall the film Posse or folks talking about it a few years ago.

Ingrid_Doweary: Both entities featured portrayals and discussions about Nicodemus, KS. recall=recalled

Selma: Posse is one I missed...

AYWalton: Katz has books with great images.

Ingrid_Doweary: The movie used a different name for the Blk township, but the history model was Nicodemus, KS. I discovered two history items from Katz

AYWalton: I can imagine that it was.

Ingrid_Doweary: Katz's text which were used in the film, Posse directed by Mario Van Peeble.

AYWalton: of course there were many black towns between KS and OK. Boley, being similar. what did you discover, Ingrid?

Ingrid_Doweary: A poem recited throughout the films was printed in Katz's book and a flyer about the town was also used. Here's the poem printed on another website, http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/usa/wakenico.htm

AYWalton: thanks for posting that, Ingrid.

Selma: Jeez I have Katz's book Black West I really need to make a list

Ingrid_Doweary: Selma you'll see a period flyer on Nicodemus in the Black West.

Selma: I will have to go thru it again Great pictures

AYWalton: I am on Google Street View, walking through the town right now.

Selma: Isnt the internet a wonderful thing

AYWalton: I agree.

vkn: It is too much for moi selma

Selma: Me too vkn... LOL I am into information overload..

Ingrid_Doweary: If you have the paperback, the flyer "What Colored Citizens are doing for their elevation", is on page 169.

AYWalton: Well I had better run, folks. Have a great evening everyone! take care.

Ingrid_Doweary: Good nite

Selma: Yep found it

vkn: oopsie woopsie

Selma: Well Mizz Vee I am outta here too

vkn: okies

Selma: Night

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy