Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2014-03-02 • Enslaved period research

*Sunday

Start: 11:57:12
End: 13:12:41
Chatters: alt, jhonora, keli1, khathu, vkn

khathu: Hello jhonora

jhonora: Hello khathu Did you get a chance to hear Selma's presentation on Bernice's program?

keli1: Selma's presentation was a rebroadcast, it was excellent

jhonora: It was very informative In the past she had recommended the Freedmen's Bureau records and I found a labor contract for my ancestors

keli1: it is something that researchers of AfricanAmerican folk, need to know what records and resources are out there RG 105 is a wealth of info

khathu: Hello keli1

keli1: good afternoon Khathu

khathu: Unfortunately for my area of research those are only good for social history

keli1: that is interesting that you say that, hmmm

jhonora: For my family lines, I find that only two appear in the Freedmen's records, probably because of the language barrier in post-Civil War La.

keli1: but it is more than just the Freedmen's records did the labor contract have some info you didn't know?

khathu: The Freedmen Bureau wasn't that active in the State of Texas

jhonora: It had some ages and it confirmed what I suspected that they had been on a particular plantation.

keli1: okay that is good...yesterday at a conference I sat in on the LVA session-they have some good records that will be uploaded online, lots of letters, etc, and court cases that were filed

jhonora: I know that researching families in Texas, like many parts of north Louisiana is often reliant upon successions/estates because many slaves owned by several generations of the same family. Is there any timetable on digitizing those records keli1?

keli1: I believe they finished most of them...

khathu: Also many slave holding families relocated to Texas shortly before or during the CW

keli1: actually his power point might be uploaded on the site, so you can see info. I can't get the link to post, geez, what am I doing wrong in this box, is there a trick to it

jhonora: There is a trick to it, but I can't recall

khathu: hello alrt

jhonora: Hello alt

keli1: it won't paste

khathu: i meant alt

keli1: Hi Art!

alt: hello folks, how y'all doing tday? jhonora, keli1 & Khathu

keli1: I am doing good If you google, you can get to the handouts and presentations, I am not sure if LVA's is up, Fredericksburg Family History Day Art how are you doing?

alt: doing well thank you keli1 I see y'all are discussing FB records & RG 105.

jhonora: Yes, alt, we were discussing how the records are more prevalent in some areas versus others

alt: yep jhonora, and where they are found, they can direct one to some excellent clues on the family's pre-civil war 'activities/composition' Hello vkn

jhonora: Absolutely, alt, the problem I find is documenting enslaved families between sales/transfers

alt: I personally haven't had any success with FB records.

vkn: Good day alt jhonora keli1 Khathu

khathu: Question - are any of you aware of researchers who have been able to identify as well as verify their ancestors on the slave ship manifest?

alt: that can be a tough nut to crack jhonora, but at least one can get a possible time frame & location for those pre-CW days

jhonora: I have only known one person to do so on their own family, khathu. I was able to create a spreadsheet for this one particular plantation and found several slaves going back to the manifests

alt: not me ......on the slave manifest questinon

jhonora: I have identified one of my ancestors back to when he was owned by the slave trader in the 1840s, but no record of manifest. Perhaps he was brought overland, but that's not likely, from Va. to La.

vkn: Nor I

khathu: Personally, I feel that is a very unique record set which require a lot of research prior to consulting it.

alt: have you Khathu?

khathu: Not at all.

alt: no doubt on the pre-research aspect khathu

khathu: However, I have been able to identify an ancestor on the slave insurance roll but that was after I had confirmed and verified the slave owner

alt: a thought on the slave manifest thing.... the port where they were shipped from MAY not even be near the location they were sold for shipment

khathu: Or the name listed may not be their actual name

keli1: hmmm... I believe there are records for the one ship that came in from 1620.

alt: isn't Solomon Northrup a great example..... wasn't he from NY State, but kidnapped in DC and shipped south from Alexandria (?)

khathu: And he was listed as Plat Hamilton

alt: so the point from where he was shipped down south has nothing to do with where he was from.... or even the fact that for him there was no previous slave owner

khathu: I only brought it up because a lady on Facebook stated she located her ancestor on the slave ship manifest and wanted to locate the slave owner who sold him in Maryland there are so many factors that need to be researched and verified

alt: yes , I saw that..Gales/Gayles was the name on the manifest and they were being shipped from Baltimore

jhonora: I wonder if those sale in Md. were recorded - in other words from the upper South owner to the trader who brought them south

khathu: it appeared that she did not do any research on the last slave holding family or anything There should be some type of documentation pertaining to the transaction

alt: I have a Gales/Gayles trail fro Berkeley Co., VA during the same time period 1810-1840

jhonora: There is a book, Cash for Blood, which has transcriptions of many of the outgoing manifests from Baltimore

alt: yes, but would it be a part of the slave manifest?

khathu: The records are probably at the Maryland Archive alt - I was referring to the sale

alt: couldn't Gales/Gayles have been sold in KY, VA or some other State and sent to a 'holding pen' in MD?

vkn: Is the work of Midlo-Hall any help ?

jhonora: Midlo-Hall's work is great, but it ends at 1820 and focuses on one state

vkn: ok

alt: the UGRR Museum in Cincinnati has a slave holding pen from KY as one of it's main artifacts..... it was used by a slave trader in KY who bought slaves from all over the upper south to be shipped 'down river'

khathu: It is a possibility alt

alt: Lewis C. Robards was the name of the slave trader and his main office was in Lexington, KY

khathu: I just think a lot more research need to be done on slave traders and the domestic slave trade

alt: for sure khathu Boxley's Forks of the Road website is a good resource for the 'end point' of the inland slave market.... Natchez, MS

khathu: I always wondered how my ancestors who were enslaved by the Moody Family out of Chesterfield County, VA traveled to Freestone County, Texas Was it all overland or a combination of sea and land

alt: there are just sooooo many aspects to researching folks of African ancestry in the good ole US of A

khathu: More than likely it was probably all by land

jhonora: khathu, the Moodys may reference the journey in some of their papers

alt: I think both khathu

khathu: Not that I am aware of but I am planning on visiting the Moody Museum in Galveston, TX

alt: from KY the preferred route seemed to be the Ohio River to the Miss Rivwer and then down south

vkn: Soooooo many. What are specific trendings

khathu: The papers of one of the brother W. L. Moody are housed there. He became a millionaire after slavery by going into the banking industry

alt: trends are time period, locations, economy, etc. vkn.... If I'm understanding your question

khathu: I read one of his letters where he was encouraging his brothers to leave VA and come out to TX

jhonora: There is a microfilm collection called Papers of the American Slave Trade, which contains a lot of information

alt: jhonora, were the Blacks who were educated in the North that went South following the CW... were they considered 'carpet baggers & scalawags'?

vkn: Alt just wondering specifics as opposed to generalizations. Just thinking of the Mel Collier research. Does he show a specific trail?

alt: I see several Oberlin folks who had great influence in the South

vkn: Is there a pattern for others to follow?

alt: I think he does vkn.... and his work, to me, is like a sub-set for researching that period dealing primarily with a SC to MS connection

khathu: vkn - there were specific routes that individuals followed based on the accessibility of the roads

jhonora: alt, not scalawags because that refers to Southerners. I'm not sure if the northern Blacks got the title carpetbaggers. Here of course, there was a division between native born Blacks and the northerners, even in the Republican party. The natives formed a Unionist movement with native-born whites to counter the northern Blacks.

alt: ah so jhonora, thanks for the clarifications your letter to me from the Rev. Henry C. Thompson got me to thinking along the lines of the Oberlin influence

jhonora: alt, the area in which those Ohioans and other northerners made most impact was in church/school work and freemasonry. We owe many of our HBCUs to them.

alt: that's my thinking also jhonora

jhonora: Thompson was connected to Alcorn, Southern Univ., Columbia Univ., and the predecesor to Dillard

khathu: Have a great day everyone

alt: folks be skedaddling LOL

vkn: See the Hammond plantations SC specifics

jhonora: Well, I'm signing off too y'all. Take care!

vkn: Have a good one

alt: vkn, I see Khathu's research, Mel Collier, Michael Henderson, etc. as all slave era research, but there are so many different aspect from each other

vkn: I agree but there must be some specific trendings

alt: that’s why I have trouble getting my arms around 'experts' in that area..... so many different approaches

vkn: yes it is a case by case Are there similarities to any? Perhaps not

alt: transfers within families, financial situations, locations, etc. I guess these would all have a common thread

vkn: Midlo-Hall has a tracking plans on the table

alt: why did folks choose TX as an end point

vkn: Well let us set up a specific chat to discuss possibilities

alt: okay, I can handle that

vkn: Talk tomorrow Alt

alt: i mean, I'm ready for the discussion LOL

vkn: lol

alt: , laters

vkn: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy