Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-09-25 • Abuse of Black Women

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:59
End: 13:12:01
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, Khathu, Selma, Seventies, vkn

Seventies: alt good morning/afternoon

alt: hello Seventies, you doing okay today?

Seventies: Doing well... how are you ?

alt: Yep, grumpy as ever LOL

Seventies: lol aw sorry to hear about it! Get under your special light... And drink your milk! :}

alt: yes ma'am

Seventies: Well how is the family??

alt: all are doing well, I think LOL LOL... how bout your family? This is the last year of HS for your sons, right?

Seventies: Yes... remember when I was lamenting that they were turning 13?? LOL LOL LOL

alt: time flies doesn't it?

Seventies: Indeed! If things go as planned, I won't be a grandparent for another 15-20 years!

alt: whose plans???? LOL

Seventies: Our family plans... I had to family plan with them... lol get the idea of 30 or older in their heads... and of course I'm right. lol oops did I just show my Taurus side... lol

alt: kinda, sorta

Seventies: I'm excited. I have a son who I am trying to get to either go National guard or Reserve.

alt: good luck & best wishes with that project.

Seventies: thanks. The only thing I'm working on now is outreaching to my McFarland family members hi daviss

alt: hello daviss, hope you're feeling better.

daviss: Hi alt and Seventies!

alt: and the McFarland's are related how?

Seventies: The McFarland's are my grandmother's father's maternal family. My maternal grandmother.

alt: okaay....wouldn't that be a maternal great-grandmother?

Seventies: that is my maternal 2x great grandmother.

alt: okay, thought there should be a great, or two in there LOL did they live close to your imediate family?

Seventies: These McFarland's would be her parents, Peter and Millie and her siblings, Thomas, Julius, Albert and Mary They did, but in later years. By later I mean 1900 and forward.

alt: and what is the time frame for these 'common ancestors'? oh, okay what's up with daviss, today?

Seventies: I first trace them in 1870 and am tracking them through Wilkinson Co, and Adams Co. MS. though some did leave and go to Louisiana. I think daviss needs another hot toddy or two... :}

daviss: Not much up with me alt, at least not gen wise

alt: do you do Noxubee County, MS ..... Chuckaluka (sp) in particular? that's for Seventies

daviss: just trying to figure out what counties these folks of mine came from

Seventies: No, my research in Mississippi so far has really been confined to Adams and Wilkinson Counties. I believe that many of those former slaves moved up into southern Adams County to work on the old plantations.

daviss: Hello Selma

Selma: Good afternoon alt, daviss and seventies

alt: me neither daviss, just browsing around and checking folks from my past.

Seventies: Going through the cemeteries there, I see a lot of people who were living near my folks ..... Hi Selma.... during the late 1800's

alt: Hello Selma

daviss: Trying to figure out what happened to my Dickersons and Ware's

Seventies: You see communities together at the cemetery. which I think is so cool that they migrated together.

alt: I was reading Obits this morning and see where we lost Charles "C.I" Williams, one of the original Tuskegee Airmen, he was from Lima, Ohio ... 98 y/o

Seventies: oh daviss, you like that picture of my nephew and I when he was wearing his Christening dress? :(

daviss: Sorry to hear that yes Seventies

alt: Dickerson.... wonder if that is the family of the football legend?

daviss: did you not like it

Seventies: Did I tell you all that Willie Lanier was at West Point recently?

Khathu: Hello everyone

Seventies: Hi Khathu

alt: Hi Khathu

Seventies: daviss we were cute.. lol

daviss: well alt I think the area they are from is not that far away

Selma: The football player?

alt: ith the Morgan State football team?

Seventies: Maybe, not sure. My BFF hubs works with the football team.

daviss: Are you talking about Eric?

Seventies: Yes Selma.

alt: Dickerson.. football.. at one time the Leading rusher in NFL history Selma

Seventies: Khathu... don't rush off... lol

daviss: he is from Sealy Texas which is not that far

alt: yeah Eric Dickerson.. he was from Texas and played his college football at SMU

daviss: right alt

alt: bad dude daviss LOL

daviss: oh yeah

Khathu: i'm back

daviss: hello Khathu

Seventies: Last night just to see what I could come up with, I did a search on the surname Bran*ley in Dallas Co, AL to see if I could possibly find something on my 'lost' aunt Martha Williams... whoa there are a TON of AA Brandley's in Dallas Co. AL I had never heard the surname until I came across her photo in my grandmother's belongings this summer.

Selma: Is that a good thing or a bad thing seventies I mean the "ton" of them

daviss: Now you will probably see that name everywhere you look

Khathu: On Genealogy Roadshow did anyone find it strange that a 14 years old fathered a child with a 28 years old woman?

Seventies: I think its good. I do... But at the same time, I don't.

alt: I commented on that yesterday Khathu

Khathu: I just saw it

Seventies: I think it may have been his father. . . IJS What are your thoughts Khathu

alt: Today charges would be filed against a woman that age having a child with a boy that age.... regardless of the circumstances

Khathu: well doing that time period Black women had no rights that whites were bound to respect

daviss: well, not impossible. Look at Mary Jo LeTourneau and her 13 yr old

Selma: Thats what I said Khathu\

Khathu: I am wondering if she was forced

Seventies: Putting the events in that context Khathu, I definitely see it happening.

daviss: however on the roadshow it was the uncles child I think

Seventies: Maybe the son was blackmailing his father... which would've been on so interesting. But clearly everyone in his circle knew about this. Naw, the letter says it was Peay's son.

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Seventies: Hello AYWalton

Selma: Afternoon AY

daviss: Wasn't that the uncle

alt: the one I thought the show overlooked was how the owner of the mansion where the show was held obtained his wealth

daviss: Peavy the gov

alt: Hello AYWalton

Selma: Loved your recent Blog Post on RG 105 Alabama...

AYWalton: hey there, Seventies, daviss, Mizz Selma. hello khathu, alt

Khathu: Hello AYWalton

daviss: Hello there AYWalton!

AYWalton: oh thanks Selma! I followed the link that you had shared! Such good data comes from RG105. I have a couple of finds I will be posting later this week as well. Bounty records, and marriage and co-habitation records. more and more gems keep popping out. wassup, daviss? How are my cousins out in AZ?

Selma: There are bounty records on Reel 19 after the AfricanAmerican Census on Alabama

daviss: nut'n honey lol

AYWalton: great stuff to find, for sure, Selma. daviss did you finally get to watch the Roadshow?

Seventies: Okay I haven't even had the chance to look at that record set on Alabama. If I get some work done on my Alabama Callins, I will have to take a look at it.

daviss: yes I did AYWalton but just missed the part where that AfricanAmerican family was standing in the doorway

AYWalton: I know the time zoned difference. ahhh ok.

Selma: The 34 reels of alabama RG 104 are at Archive.org

daviss: It was a man and about 6 or 8 other peeps

AYWalton: I was called by one of the researchers for the program. She wanted to know what I thought about the possibility of a 14 year old fathering a child. This was right after they had discovered the letter.

Selma: Rg105 not 104

Seventies: I think we all have a 'white men could do what they wanted to black women' relatives in the family tree. I have two. hi vkn

vkn: hello to all

alt: Hello vkn

Khathu: The letter doesn't actually substantiate paternity

daviss: hello vkn!

AYWalton: I shared with her the accounts I have read by scholars, of how often black domestic workers as late as the 1960s were approached by teenage sons of their employers, who wanted to approach them sexually. And they were not even aware of the Strom Thurmond case till I gave them his name and the name of his daughter.

Seventies: That's what I think Khathu. So I am surprised that they just put it out there as if he were at 14 the father. I think as I said earlier, that it was probably his father.

AYWalton: The letter of course did not prove paternity at all.

Khathu: They presented the letter as if it was the smoking gun

AYWalton: But they were trying to wrap their head around the concept of the woman in her 20s and the teenager.

Seventies: Austin Peay's father and the Albert is the brother and the gov't was protecting his family by accepting the responsibility OR the son could've been blackmailing him.

alt: wasn't that the Thurmond situation.. course they were a little closer together in age Storm & his "housekeeper"

AYWalton: I pointed out that this was a woman in early 20th century---who had no rights. true---

Seventies: I mean he was a pretty shrewd guy running a whore house and what not.

daviss: I am glad you got to interject your thoughts AYWalton

Selma: Me too

Seventies: I know people around my age who were the products of similar "relationships"... so this is a late 20th century issue.

Selma: and it would not be frowned upon either

AYWalton: when I read the work of the scholar---I think it was the 1970s book called Black Women in America that was when I learned how many Black domestics were often approached by teenage sons to just let them see a body part---and of course even more than that.

Seventies: Not just in the southern states, but also domestics in the north.

alt: it is often thought that Black woman were a "rite of passage' for young White boys.

AYWalton: I met the woman who phoned me, at the Jamboree, and she called in July as they were putting together the show.

Seventies: alt, I think you are correct sir :)

daviss: Ahhhhhh

AYWalton: They were trying to interpret it through 21st century eyes.

Khathu: alt - i agree with Seventies on that

alt: I may not always be right Seventies & Khathu, but I'm never wrong LOL LOL LOL

Selma: LOL

Khathu: I heard that.... lol

Seventies: lol lol

AYWalton: But early 20th century---poor young Black woman, limited education, needed her job, and 14 year old White male, full of testosterone, wanting to touch (and obviously) more the staff and he was a son of privilege.

Khathu: This goes back to slavery

Seventies: I think in honesty that this still goes on today, embedded into the culture.

Khathu: just a continuation of the exploitation of the bodies of Black women

AYWalton: But I would have thought about their conducting a DNA test of some sort. The letter was not sufficient. Kind of like the Governor of California and the maid.

Selma: Black women were thought to be inherently "loose"

Khathu: by the White predators to justify the raping of them

Seventies: In all honesty, this is why I am SO against the interracial relationships for Black women. Why give just it up when they have been taking it for nearly 400 years? We have a choice. I know back then women couldn't choose who their children's fathers were, but today we have a choice in who we date or marry.

AYWalton: Choice is the operative word.

daviss: not in some customs at least they think they still rule that way here I know we are talking Black and White but we just had a case here where the father killed his daughter because he wanted the choice to choose her mate

Seventies: Ok that's something different... lol

Selma: Afternoon vkn

Seventies: That's crazy... lol

alt: what was his "ethnic" background daviss? or maybe I should say cultural background?

daviss: He was Iranian I think alt' He ran his daughter over in the car

AYWalton: wow that was serious.

Seventies: oh yeah. thought he came from a culture where marriages were arranged.

AYWalton: was this in Iran? Or in the US?

alt: okay, I see daviss

daviss: yep and had been here over ten yrs so he knew the rules

AYWalton: how sad. even here folks arrange marriages.

daviss: here in Phx AYWalton, his daughter went to ASU

AYWalton: oh goodness. How very sad. So he has confessed?

daviss: He has been convicted

alt: y'all see the posting on the "owner" of the Belmont Mansion where the Roadshow was held.... The "biggest" slave trader in the U.S. at the time the mansion was built

AYWalton: hopefully he will get life.

daviss: yes

Khathu: really?

daviss: alt was that here on the forum

alt: I saw it on FaceBook daviss

daviss: oh ok

Seventies: Yes, it was in the intro.

alt: I must of missed it

Khathu: Have a good one. I need to get back to work.

AYWalton: I think that is what is often left out---yes, the beautiful Belmont mansion---but no mention of the people enslaved who kept it running.

Seventies: Oh hey if anyone knows someone in the Cleveland area, specifically young black kids who want to learn about the free ride that they can get at West Point, there will be a briefing on Sunday at LSC Conference Room, Lombardo Student Center, John Carroll University, 1 John Carroll Road We need more black faces! alt, send those great grands!

alt: a part of that the amazes me AYWalton is how many 'skilled craftsman' were among the enslaved it took to maintain a place like the Belmont Mansion

Selma: My grand is not old enough yet..or finished HS for that matter

AYWalton: true.

alt: Gardners, Metal workers, Horsemen, brick masons, etc.

Seventies: Ok I have a question for slave era researchers. Do you think that in some areas of the south, ie cities, towns, that there was a greater population of skilled craftsmen vs. in the rural frontier areas?

AYWalton: I think that depends, seventies. Carpentry is a skill needed in both rural and urban areas.

Selma: They would be in areas which could provide them work

AYWalton: As is blacksmithing, coopers (barrel makers). Iron workers would be needed in the cities, and master iron workers emerged in cities like Charleston, New Orleans. cobblers---shoemakers, needed in places large an small.

Seventies: So it would be based on what the slaveholding person could afford?

Selma: Were you thinking of some specific job skill seventies

alt: dunno Seventies, but I do know that the samll communities in this area were 'full of skilled" FPOC craftsmen prior to the end of the CW.

Seventies: No just in general. I looked over some docs from my family's slaveholders and they had some FPOC listed in their 'inventory' which I thought was odd. But it was in Louisiana and they did have a specific skill.

Selma: Depending on what they did they could be "hired out" for more money

Seventies: I saw blacksmith and carpenter.

alt: The Godfrey Brown case here in Xenia, Oh and on the BYU series is a great example.. a shoemaker who freed himself, his wife & 12 children thru his profession.

AYWalton: And stone masons, probably more in urban areas.

alt: He ended up owning about 1,200 acres of land in three counties prior to his death in 1845

AYWalton: Phone call. Better run.

Selma: Nap time...better run.. LOL

alt: Thomas Day, the furniture maker from NC and hsi family

daviss: take care Selma

Seventies: lol nitey nite Selma

vkn: Horace King, the bridge builder

alt: bye, see y'all in about a week or two

Seventies: where are you going young man? lol

daviss: heyyyy partner

Seventies: He's gone in a flash! lol

vkn: niters y'all

Seventies: nitey nite vkn

daviss: cya vkn

Seventies: ok pick up... lol

daviss: You take care too Seventies lol

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy