Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-09-05

*SunMornBrnchStates & Counties

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:10:24
End: 13:21:02
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, David, deannie, Ingrid_Doweary, keli1, Khathu, ProfessorDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, statustray, vkn

David: good day all!

Khathu: hello Selma

deannie: Hi everyone

Seventies Soulchild: Good Sunday morning everyone.

Khathu: so now about states and counties?

Selma: Good sunday morning Khathu, seventies, and deannie welcome to the Sunday Brunch chat.. Was there a specific plan seventies...since I obviously missed the memo

deannie: Hi 3rd

Selma: Morning 3rd

Khathu: good morning 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: I thought that there was a specific plan since the states & counties room was open for business and the SunBrunch wasn't

3rdthawkins: hello deannie Khathu Selma and Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: hello 3rd

Selma: Oh I didn't realize seventies...

Seventies Soulchild: There was already someone in the room earlier this AM looking to discuss, but left since no one was here.

deannie: My task for the week is to get my research materials together for our annual trip to Ft Wayne, In this weekend...any suggests

Selma: That was me..I came in around 11..but when I didn't see anyone I left

Seventies Soulchild: someone named David came in also

Selma: Thats great deannie... Oh Ok seventies

deannie: What time is the states & counties chat room

3rdthawkins: seem to me those are set up for occasions

Seventies Soulchild: Digitial camera, tape recorder, notebook, pencil that's all I can think of.

deannie: check

Selma: Is this your first time there deannie

deannie: No

Khathu: research plan.....

Seventies Soulchild: Lots of questions too! :)

deannie: This is the annual trip for our Gen group...but this year we are going for 3 days....we usually go for 2....a lot more people have retired

Seventies Soulchild: oh yes or else you will be lost. That was a mistake I made when first going look for records

Selma: Wow...

Khathu: and examine their online catalogue so you will know exactly what they have and what you need to examine

Selma: Are you focusing on a particular family line, or state and county

deannie: yes....my gggrandparents (Andrew & Charlotte Tyler) Jefferson country, Ms Fayette, Ms.....and the children

Seventies Soulchild: ooh I've been through Fayette... lol

deannie: I have them in 1870 and 1880....I will be looking in phone books...books from the country I've being a far as Port Gibson, MS

Seventies Soulchild: I read that the county records were in SHAMBLES.

Selma: The library has a large collection of journals and newsletters from historical society and genealogical societies

deannie: Really

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Jefferson county, right?

deannie: Yes

Seventies Soulchild: That's one county up from Adams Co. where I do my research. They had a group of blacks immigrate to Liberia

deannie: I have to also check the neighoring county because I know something were done in the other small town

Seventies Soulchild: That would be Adams Co. to the South. Perhaps they came from there. They had quite a bit of business at Forks of the Road in Natchez. Best of luck in your search deannie

deannie: Ok....I will check that country to get a look at their infom

Selma: Is there any literature written on this migration seventies..

deannie: Thanks....I told myself that I wll come home with a big find this time

Spivey: Hi everyone!

Selma: Morning spivey

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I think the title of the book I read was "Mississippi in Africa". Gives a detailed history of the slaveowner whose set his slaves free on the condition that they go to Liberia

Selma: Oh OK...

Seventies Soulchild: Let me google it. http://tinyurl.com/23sp8mu There is also a blog about these major plantations in Jefferson county... I cannot remember the name of the blog. When wealthy Mississippi cotton planter Isaac Ross died in 1836, his will decreed that his plantation, Prospect Hill, should be liquidated and the proceeds from the sale be used to pay for his slaves' passage to the newly established colony of Liberia in western Africa. Ross's heirs contested the will for more than a decade, prompting a deadly revolt in which a group of slaves burned Ross's mansion to the ground. But the will was ultimately upheld. The slaves then emigrated to their new home, where they battled the local tribes and built vast plantations with Greek Revival-style mansions in a region the Americo-Africans renamed "Mississippi in Africa." In the late twentieth century, the seeds of resentment sown over a century of cultural conflict between the colonists and tribal people exploded, begetting a civil war that rages in Liberia to this day.

Khathu: That was a good book - Mississippi in Africa

Seventies Soulchild: yes Very interesting part of U.S. history

3rdthawkins: wow, yes, it is Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: ok so deannie. . . lol

deannie: yes

Seventies Soulchild: what is your game plan?

Selma: deannie..you have found them in 1870 and 1880..do you know who the slave owner was? Or is that your focus

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn!

vkn: Good howdy 2 all

deannie: county books, phones books, check the log book that list the people in the town....maybe I will see some family name

Selma: Mornin keli

Spivey: Hi keli1!

Seventies Soulchild: hello keli1

keli1: happy holiday to all

deannie: No, I have not located a slave owner........I could not find a slave owner named Tyler

Seventies Soulchild: deannie also try the Natchez Democrat online Obits They report obits from all over the local area including Jefferson county

Spivey: Thank you keli1, same to you.

vkn: Good postings keli1 on surnames

Selma: Keli..I emailed you earlier this week...I have a friend researching Tonslers in Albmarle County

keli1: really, I must of missed it, please resend...in case I missed it, it is grant writing time and I am juggling between research and job duties, lol

deannie: ok

keli1: thanks VKN, more to come...

vkn: seventies did you get mail from me I am not remembering

Selma: deannie..if there is a county history you might want to read just to get some info on the white slaving families in the county

keli1: there is a Tonsler Park..wonder if they are connected Selma

Selma: Yes there is a connection That is her ggg grandfather..

keli1: sometimes I just plain google" murphy plantation, slaves, jefferson county Virginia, sometimes historical socities will have info that will show up @Selma, so there is info on this family for sure

Selma: Many of the family is buried at Zion cemetary (think that is the name)...keli

vkn: anyone hear from sharon? Long time no words

keli1: okay, the AAHG-CVA talk was good, low turn out but lots of good info, I sent Art copies of items, referencing Randolph's, do you want it as well?

Selma: Sharon who?

vkn: 1959 from TX

Selma: Who was the speaker keli Figured school started and she was swamped

vkn: I see forgot her nickname

keli1: Sam Towler

Seventies Soulchild: Yes vkn, I got your message...

Selma: Ok..I wanted to ask you about him Towler keli

keli1: he has done extensive research on AA's in Albemarle Co. VA

vkn: thanx a bunch seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I was sitting here multitasking...

3rdthawkins: oh vkn, didn't hear you come in hello

vkn: howdy 3rd

Selma: Somone on Ancestry indexed the Tonsler as TOWLER in parentheses

deannie: my Jefferson county is in Mississippi

keli1: hmmm interesting, I know he has something to do with families at Monticello selma are you selinava or just selina?

Seventies Soulchild: Speaking of counties and states, I really would love to get into Wilkinson Co. MS history. I'm looking there because it seems as if there were a ton of slave holding families Including the Davis' of Jefferson Davis noteriety

deannie: Where is Wikinson county located

Khathu: have a great date day

Seventies Soulchild: In the very bottom corner of southwest MS. the 'chin' ... lol

Selma: selinva

keli1: I will forward over the info I received from Sam

Selma: thanks...I would actually like his email address..I have been reading his stuff in CVA Journal for awhile

keli1: He is great, you will see the email in the items forwarded, next talk is about the Mccary plantation in Fluvanna County he is a guy that works across from the courthouse and goes over there at lunch time and transcribes items...and distributes them

Seventies Soulchild: Well folks, I have to get ready to go to the Buffalo Soldier's picnic at Round Pond. I missed the ceremony at the Buffalo Soldier's field on West Point to be here with y'all this morning. Can't miss the BBQ, entertainment and hobknobbing this afternoon. Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend everyone

keli1: enjoy!!!70s

Selma: Have a great tme seventies

Seventies Soulchild: will do. :)

3rdthawkins: have fun Seventies

vkn: seems like another short day

3rdthawkins: it is ld wkn

Spivey: Alt mentioned Shamele Jordan's work 'Googling Great Grandmother' in chat. I sent her an e-mail and she sent me a copy of the order form. It's distributed by the Indiana Historical Society on CD. I think I wil order it.

3rdthawkins: a lot of BBQing, cookouts and family get togethers going on

Selma: Think this is alt Adams Family Reunion vkn

Spivey: She also has other publications on the list.

vkn: Yes I guess alt is having a good time with his detailed chart

keli1: Yes there are a lot of family get to gethers, hope folks are taking pics and recording chit chat...you get a bunch of folks together they are "talkin story" pass the bottle of "cold" beer and I will listen and take notes, and Eat of course

Selma: LOL

ProfessorDru: hey gang

Selma: Afternoon dru

3rdthawkins: what's new, pro dru :} hello Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey everyone.

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary!

Selma: Afternoon Ingrid

vkn: Ingrid

ProfessorDru: 3rd, I'm getting for my presentation next Saturday as well as doing homework for two classes.

3rdthawkins: oh cool

Ingrid_Doweary: Cool beans ProfDru

keli1: HI Ingrid

Selma: Homework.... UGH

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Keli1\

ProfessorDru: yep, I'm taking a class in physical geography and one in Geographic Information.

keli1: a few days ago I finished reading papers, so that was my homework, done till 10/4

ProfessorDru: Both classes are interesting and can be applied to genealogy projects.

Ingrid_Doweary: As a person with a curious nature, I always have reading assignments.

ProfessorDru: good for you Ingrid. I do too--whether I'm taking classes or not.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hear hear!

keli1: the story of my life-reading, I need to change my name to "reader"

ProfessorDru: My Saturday's presentation will be held at a local festival and will be done jointly with the poet I appeared on TV with.

Ingrid_Doweary: Nice nickname, Keli1 :)

keli1: Mahalo!!! Ingrid. I am going to visit my brother in Michigan, and have to read 22 articles while I am up there

ProfessorDru: It will be an all-dayer; session in morning and repeat session in afternoon. Therefore I want to get some rest this weekend in between doing homework. why 22, Keli?

Spivey: Have a good day and enjoy your holiday everyone.

vkn: bye to all

keli1: Dru, because I am behind on my literature review, it is actually more, but I am taking 22 with me, he is in the country...but does have internet which I plan on not being on for 4 days...to get it done

ProfessorDru: OK, Keli. Gotta run also. Adios.

keli1: enjoy your day

Selma: You will be in internet withdrawel keli

keli1: no I won't, don't need internet to write, lol-I have to stay strong

Ingrid_Doweary: Gotta run folks, Bye.

keli1: I need a break from all of this to get my work done...

Selma: Understand completely keli

deannie: Out from Chi Town.......have a great day

Selma: Yep..time for me to go too..eveyrone have a great day

keli1: me too, back to work, enjoy fred....hello

statustray: Good afternoon everyone hey there

keli1: I was just getting off, how are you?

statustray: It has been a long long time for me

keli1: I hope all is good your way

statustray: I am ok. Seen better. Seen worse. But I'm ok.

keli1: whew that is a great attitute

statustray: I just got online. I was meaning to get here earlier but forgot about the time :( Things ok with you?

keli1: it is good to hear from you, AY and I were wondering how things were going yea just stay stressed a bit..but as you, have seen worst

statustray: Be sure to tell her I'm alright.

keli1: I sure will, you are still in FL, right?

statustray: Yes I am still in FL. u too right?

keli1: yea in VA

statustray: oops... i thought u were in FL. My bad. You see how my mind is these days... lol....

keli1: I used to be in Tallahassee, for 16yrs, my daughter is there, but today hanging in Miami

statustray: ohhhhhh... ok

keli1: I have expanded my research to Greene, Knox and Loudon Counties of TN

statustray: so i see you are still busy as a beaver how's the cert coming along?

3rdthawkins: hey statustray, how is it going?

keli1: very slow...school work is priority and for work it is grant writing time

statustray: oic hey there 3rdthawkins... how u doing?

3rdthawkins: I'm status, thx

statustray: also, i see there's two chat areas here now

3rdthawkins: oops, I'm good status, thx

statustray: that's good to hear ;-)

keli1: didn't you have folks you were researching in TN?

statustray: me? No. None that I know of.

keli1: hmmm I thought you did..they say the brain is the first to go!~

3rdthawkins: probably thinking of ryan Keli

statustray: I do have a couple of cousins there in TN. But they are not from there. They only moved there a couple of years ago from MS. They are are in their mid-20s

keli1: okay, I think you are right, he was on a couple of weeks ago. I hope to connect if we are researching the same counties

3rdthawkins: he comes in every once in a while I think he was in Friday

keli1: it was good to see you...keep in touch...you know you can toxbox anytime, I need to get back to writing..enjoy your holiday

statustray: it's always good to connect with others who have similar interests you too

3rdthawkins: alright status enjoy your holiday wkn

statustray: you too 3rd

States & Counties

Start: 11:40:40
End: 11:46:20
Chatters: deannie, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

Selma: Hey folks .......how come we are here today?

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning Selma I'm just following the crowd... lol

Khathu: hello everyone

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Khathu

Selma: Morning Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: How is everyone this morning?

Khathu: we need to leave a message in the sunday chat room directing people to the states and counties room

Selma: I was OK..I am now disoriented

Seventies Soulchild: :) snap out of it Selma. . .

Khathu: by the way - why are we in this room

Selma: LOL Thats what I want to know Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: We're going to discuss states & counties this morning. :)

Khathu: once again why are we using this room

Selma: Oh.....

Khathu: we can discuss states and counties in the sunday chat...

Selma: Did vkn say we need to come to this room

deannie: back

Seventies Soulchild: ok well let's go to SundayBrunch. I was just here where the people were.

Khathu: i was just asking a question lol

Seventies Soulchild: deannie are you back?

deannie: yes....How did you get into other room.....are we going to another room

Seventies Soulchild: ok now I'm discombobulated! LOL

deannie: we are in states and counties

Seventies Soulchild: Selma since you are the red icon, please make the executive decision.... lol

Khathu: well get recombobulated

Selma: I say we go back to the SunMOrnBrnch room and talk about states and Counties

Seventies Soulchild: ok

deannie: ok chat you soon

Khathu: see ya there

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy