Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-09-15 • Migration • DNA • Retirement

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:52:06
End: 12:47:21
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, Selma

AYWalton: Good morning, alt. Hope you are doing well, today.

alt: hello AYWalton, how ya doing today?

AYWalton: Doing fine, thanks. What are you working on these days?

alt: Well, I guess you catching your breath before AAHGS, huh?

AYWalton: yes, a breather right not. This has been a busy year. And gearing up for a slower paced year for 2014, so I can work on writing projects and other things.

alt: just came off of our 94th Adams Family Reunion Labor Day weekend and a BIG celebration with an Ohio Historical Society marker dedication.

AYWalton: Yes, I read that. Glad everything turned out so well. Congratulations.

alt: it did & thank you

AYWalton: And how wonderful that you have had so many consecutive reunions.

alt: Yes, very prould of the younger generation.. they "picked up the mantle" and are doing a great job with the Reunion.

AYWalton: And that is the way it should be, for sure. Anything new going on for you?

alt: I do have a presentation coming up this next Tues... I'll be speaking to the Lagonda Chapter of the DAR on early Black families in Champaign County, Ohio ..... time period is from the 1815-1835

AYWalton: Fantastic! I always encourage researching a community.

alt: and then I'm going into 'full retirement' from speaking engagements LOL LOL

AYWalton: We discussed that at MAAGI, continually. So much of the story extends beyond the family---and answers about the family are often found in the story of the community. well good for you. I can appreciate retiring from it all.

alt: now that is an 'understatement', but very, very true!!!!! re: community research & outreach

AYWalton: That was a particular point of emphasis, throughout. And how to present that story. For many that is a new concept---and I think that next year we will get to hear about some new developments. Plus our goal is to also get more African Americans making steps to participate in the genealogical community on a wider level.

alt: Funny thing at the Marker Dedication ceremony.... there were some families present (Black & white) that discovered they had common ancestors from the UGRR days ca 1840-1860.

AYWalton: I bet that was an interesting discovery.

alt: there was a couple of inter-racial marriages during that time period that connected the families

AYWalton: Hopefully some of that will be followed up and researched. Ahh....well that makes sense. Those of you with FPC's are so fortunate--and have such a rich story to tell. Those of us who descend from Enslaved-Till-Emancipation families have different research directions to take---which often involve unique strategies.

alt: well, in the sense that much of our story is documented simply because of the FPOC conditions, Black Codes & other situations I know, I have that situation too.

AYWalton: And sometimes that involves, not revealing that you descend from those enslaved people--when dealing with slaveholder descendants. You might have the door slammed before you get started.

alt: yep, hasn't happened to me ..... yet LOL

AYWalton: Greetings, Mizz Selma!!!

alt: Hello Ms Guadalopue LOL

Selma: Good Sunday afternoon AY and atl. LOL

AYWalton: I finally made a connection with a DNA cousin who had caught my attention. This guy---is a very high cousin-connection on 23andMe, but of course there are no surname, overlaps, and nothing similar in our profile. BUT----he has almost all of my friend Argyrie's surnames. from Nash Co, NC.

daviss: Sunday morning to you alt, AYWalton and Selma!

AYWalton: So I am encouraging her to take the DNA test. I might be related to her as well. Greetings, daviss!

alt: is that right!!!!... hmmn, Nash is a neighboring county of Edgecombe where my NC folks are from Hello daviss

AYWalton: Yes, I know---I thought about you as well, alt.

Selma: Wouldn't that be something AY..you and Argiyrie

AYWalton: I know. She is ordering her kit this week.

alt: DNA.... I just posted on the African Ancestored DNA FB page about two young cousins who I match with ... one on 23+me & the other AncestryDNA.

AYWalton: But when I saw his surnames---including that one odd line of Lucas/Locas folks----as well as other surnames that I knew were hers---I had to contact him. and he is high on my DNA contact list. so we shall see what happens.

alt: good luck!!!!!

daviss: That would be something if you and she were related Will she have to use another addy to order?

AYWalton: Yes, a cousin in NC.

daviss: awwww ok

alt: both of my matches were at the 4th cousin range .... AND I had already had them documented as 'family' on my Tribal Pages site.

AYWalton: She is going down in about 2 weeks and will pick it up. I had that happen with one of my Dollarhide cousins.

daviss: great AYWalton, tell her good luck for me

AYWalton: We knew we are cousins and have attended family events and done research together. And she popped up on my list, just as she should have. I will do that daviss. I find the problem with DNA connections---unless you have FPCs in the line---it is a challenge to figure our how you connect with someone.

alt: so DNA testing CAN prove a genealogical relationship with a paper trail for sure AYWalton

daviss: yes alt, exactly that trail has to be there

alt: and another DNA problem is they can't get into the 'removed' genealogical thing.

AYWalton: Many of the MCRAs (Most Common Recent Ancestor) are just outside of my research range---meaning the common ancestor was probably a 5 gr. gr. and my records only extend to the 3rd or 4th on some lines. And the person with whom I match, has not done that much research. And others who have----there is just no overlap with surnames or geography. good point about the "removed" generation concept, alt.

alt: exactly AYWalton .. our MRCA in this recent case of mine are a set of my 3rd great-grandparents, 4th great grandparents to them as they are a generation behind me.

AYWalton: yes. And for many---no matter how many chromosomes are overlapping as matches---the bottom line is the people and their stories. And finding them still remains a challenge.

alt: and another funny thing in my case... these folks have the same surname ..... Norman, but aren't related thru the Norman's, as far as they know, but are related as Adams family.

AYWalton: that is interesting. So many stories still to find.

alt: and they are from different locales one is in Ohio the other is in SC

AYWalton: oh wow, that is quite a distance.

alt: yep

Selma: The DNA results points to migratory patterns that have not been discerned

alt: so true Selma

AYWalton: I agree with that.

alt: there were migrations before the "great migration' LOL

AYWalton: oh goodness yes! Not to mention the migrations of whites moving westward, but taking their Negroes with them. We are invisible migrants in those cases. But we were also on those wagon trains.

alt: for me & the FPOC connections it took place in the early 1800's out of VA to Ohio.

AYWalton: Those pre-Civil War migrations.

daviss: as in the case of Green Flake, Brigham young and others

AYWalton: And also those forced black migrations---like the FPCs having to leave VA, or the expulsion law of Arkansas forcing all free Negroes to leave the state.

alt: and I'm still searching for the wagon train that my 2nd great-grandfather was on when he drove a wagon to California ca 1859-1850.

Selma: Without out question re: whites moving westward and southward depending where they started out from

AYWalton: True. I looked at a Heritage book from SW Arkansas, and was able to understand an Alabama connectino on one of my lines. the old man said to be connected to the slave master---arrived with his mother from Alabama. But she was from SC--the old Laurens District.

Selma: you have to also look at the migrations that took place after 1865 but before 1870 Example AY..those folks from DC..who sign a labor contract in Arkansas and stay

AYWalton: In the 1840s they were in Alabama, then moved in the late 1850s to Arkansas. And this was the line of the Houstons, that married my Bass line. and yes---those post emancipation migrations!! that was an excellent example, Selma! Well folks I had better run out the door. Got company and other things going on. Have a great Sunday everybody.

Selma: Bye

daviss: where did the majority of DC folks come from Selma?

Selma: What time frame daviss?

alt: I'm having a 'generational discussion' with some younger folks about great's & great-great's, etc. trying to make them understand even tho' the term is the same there is a big difference when you're discussing genealogy with someone that is of the generation of YOUR grandparents

Selma: in the time frame after the War, from VA and MD

daviss: Those that went to other states via Labor Contracts

Selma: Va, dc, MD..

daviss: hmmmm My mind is flashing back yrs. I think I saw a Hubbard Davis in DC and dismissed him because of the distance from NC and Tx

Selma: Depends on the time frame daviss...

daviss: I will have to go back and see if I can find that info

Selma: But Barnetta did a book on folks who signed Labor Contracts in NC..who went to West..

alt: Selma, I know that is how my father's folks got to Indiana from NC ca 1885.... thru the recruitment by the A.M.E. church for workers to come to IN to work the the Stone Quarry's in Putnam County, Indiana ... Greencastle, IN.

Selma: Barnetta's book is during the 1865 to 1868 time frame alt.. during Freedmen's Bureau..

daviss: this is probably not him. His sons were born in NC btwn 1854-56

alt: There is a chapter in a book edited by Wilma Gibbs on that migration.

daviss: the thing I don't know is when they ended up in Texas

Selma: But a similar migration from VA to Iowa to work in mines is similar to the migration you spoke of alt..

alt: okay Selma. it was a later time period than Barnetts' book, but the same thing was still happening.

Selma: Yes..it was.. I have a friend family from Charlottesville area..that is how they landed up in Buxton, Iowa

alt: yes, we also have folks who went to Buxton, Iowa, but they left Ohio to go to Iowa and then there is the 'homestead' trail that took foplks like Shelley's folks into upper Michigan.

Selma: Folks..have to run..the little darlins have come to visit

alt: have fun Slema

Selma: Have a great day

alt: daviss, does your Ancestry DNA page have the 'new' Afric Ancestored features?

daviss: no, I am distraught too about that thats why I called you to see if you had it

alt: I'm not only 'distraught' I'm pissed LOL

daviss: I know lol

alt: do you access Ancestry thru Internet Explorer?

daviss: I called to find out and the man told me only 6000 people had it so far No I use Chrome

alt: my chrome won't access my ancestryDNa page, hmmmmmn????

daviss: You may need to call them and see if the glich is on their end alt worth a looksee

alt: I'll get on it tomorrow, it's a bug ot have some many matches and can't get to them for review

daviss: strange because it will get you into other areas right?

alt: yep, I have no problems with the other Ancestry features .. so far

daviss: so it may be with them

alt: lets' hope so well, let me get ready to watch the Browns finally win one LOL .... Go Browns

daviss: ok alt Go CARDS!!!!

alt: laters partner!!!

daviss: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy