Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-09-09 • Pension file

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:35
End: 12:54:21
Chatters: alt, daviss, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hey daviss!

daviss: heyyyy back Seventies How was your week-end?

Seventies Soulchild: Relaxing. The boys FINALLY started school.

Khathu: hello ladies

daviss: The first day today huh! Hi Khathu!

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Khathu Yes they were up and ready to go at 6:30.... lol

Khathu: I bet they were. It is their last year in high school

Seventies Soulchild: Yes... :{ oops supposed to be this one :( lol

daviss: The first day is always exciting, especially seeing friends again

Khathu: Senior year is very exciting and scary

Seventies Soulchild: What, they saw those kids most of the summer. We live in the country daviss.. lol

daviss: lol I forgot

Seventies Soulchild: Indeed it is Khathu And I would like to forget daviss... These backwards $*#!!* sigh

daviss: there is a saying you know about taking the kids out of the country but you can't take the country out of the kids lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: I'm praying that is not true. Before I get on my soap box what's new with you all today?

Khathu: seventies I have developed some other strategies on researching my Lorenzo Williams. In his pension application he stated that he traveled to Texas with a Lieutenant Hobbs and at the time of enlistment he worked on a steamboat.

Seventies Soulchild: Okay. Can you pull service records for LT Hobbs?

Khathu: I identified 27 Lieutenant Hobbs in the CW Service Records. I plan on researching each one of them.

daviss: hello vkn and alt!

Seventies Soulchild: Ok beat me to it! :}

alt: well hello all daviss, Khathu, seventies & vkn

Khathu: I will be pulling their service and pension records.

Seventies Soulchild: Was there one in the unit that he identified as being adopted by?

vkn: Good afternoon this morning alt daviss khathu seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn well hello alt slipping in here.. lol

Khathu: None of the Lt. Hobbs are in the alleged unit(s) he served in.

Seventies Soulchild: Well, I would also look at the Morning reports for each regiment that any of the 27 Lt Hobbs served in.

Khathu: All of the units were organized in Illinois but he claimed that he enlisted in Vicksburg, Mississippi.

Seventies Soulchild: That should narrow down your search as well.

alt: Wouldn't Lt. Hobbs have been a white man... who served as an officer with a USCT unit?

Khathu: They migrated to Texas after the War, so my strategy is to research them from the end of the CW to the 1900

alt: or, did your individual serve in a "white" unit with Lt. Hobbs?

Khathu: At this point I am not trying to prove his military service but substantiate some of the information in application. alt - he didn't say so I am looking at all Lt. Hobbs both Black and white

alt: okay. Lorenzo Williams is a "person of color", right?

Khathu: Yes, he is. Mixed race based on the affidavit describing him as real bright At the time of enlistment he stated he worked on a steamboat.

alt: hmmmn, did he 'enlist' as a person of color? or as a white man?

Seventies Soulchild: sigh brb

Khathu: I just ordered a book titled Black Life on the Mississippi: Slaves, Free Blacks and the Western Steam Boat World

alt: shoud be an interesting read Khathu

daviss: where was your Lorenzo from?

Khathu: alt - proving that he actually served is going to be a challenge

alt: yes, I can see it will be a challenge Khathu

Khathu: his application was denied at this point i am not actually trying to proving his service but trying to learn more about him by examining the clues in the application file He was born in 1844 near Emporia, Kansas according to his 1915 pension application

alt: he could well have been a 'liaison" (sp) and worked with Lt.Hobbs and a white unit from Illinois... Bennie McRae & Henry R. Burke have documented several AA men who did that with white units from southern Ohio (Washington county)

Khathu: After the end of the CW he traveled to Texas with a Lt. Hobbs and eventually settled in Elkhart, Anderson County, texas

daviss: Was he the one that lived in Palestine Tx in 1880

Khathu: @ davis - yes alt - more than likely he was "adopted" by a white unit out of Illinois

daviss: black male 36 farmer

Khathu: where he came in contact with them in Vicksburg, Mississippi after fleeing from the steamboat he worked on. this is my hypothesis

alt: sounds reasonable to me Khathu .. that is a 'fairly' common occurrence

vkn: Keep on pushing Khathu

Khathu: My friend Robyn has received a lot of positive feedback on her brickwall article

vkn: Thanx for the note on connecting alt

alt: yw vkn

Khathu: vkn - this is one of those ancestor i can't let go until I prove or disprove some of this info it is not a brickwall yet how rude of me - hello vkn and alt

vkn: That was a good article Khathu Walls not withstanding

alt: yes it was a great article on the misconception of what a brick wall really is.

vkn: George Morgan has a new book [cannot recall name] but will post later. Recommending book to all whatever the wall

alt: hello Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

daviss: hello Selma

vkn: George Morgan & Drew Smith are the authors released 20 August at Amazon

Selma: Good Monday afternoon alt, daviss (mornin), Khathu, seventies and vkn

vkn: Howdy Selma

Khathu: Hello Selma i'm back

Selma: I think I have that book Khathu

daviss: wb khathu

vkn: Both are genealogists and librarians in Florida

Khathu: It is Advanced Genealogy Techniques

alt: Selma, did you get the message on Salem, Ohio & the UGRR?

Selma: Yes, alt Thank nyou

vkn: right that is it I call it a must have

alt: yw Selma... all of those guys on page 4 of that interview are Black.

Selma: What is a must have vkn? Ok alt..maybe I didn't read that message.. LOL I was out all day yesterday...

Khathu: vkn - a friend of mine just finished reading it and stated it is a must have book

vkn: Also on FB I was reading about the NOLA Slave Manifests. That work was near and dear to the hearts of Dee Woodtor and Alma Mc Lendon

alt: okay ,, you're excused Selma .. still coming down from the vacation LOL

Selma: LOL alt..the person posting on Youngblood lives in your area? Are they coming to a meeting

vkn: and 4 of the manifests are central to the Slave collection

Khathu: Selma - vkn was referring to the book Advanced Genealogy Research Techniques by George Morgan and Drew Smith

Selma: Thanks

alt: Youngblood & Meeting ????

Selma: At this point I think my first rule for researchers..is TAKE a DEEP BREATH and know that this journey is not quick or easy They asked you when and where was the meeting

Khathu: http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Genealogy-Research-Techniques-George/dp/007181650X/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378744677&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=advance+genealogy+techniques

alt: oh, okay Selma .. I don't know that person

vkn: The entire Inward bound manifests was purchased and transcribed by Ralph Claytor of Baltimore. I think he is deceased but son may be continuing the work

Khathu: the link is to the book which can be purchased on amazon.com

Selma: Thanks Khahtu

vkn: Thanx Khathu yes Selma I call it a must have. Also y'all Selma worked with Drew and Morgan at AOL Running

daviss: wb alt!

Selma: Oh..that Drew...yes we did.. Jeez

alt: ty daviss.. clicked myself right out of the chat room LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Ok y'all SSC needs to take a potty AND brain break. :} Everyone have a great day!

daviss: love that girl lol

alt: she's 'sumpin else' lol speaking of NOLA how'd ya'll like my NOLA connection with the Donato family, jhonora & AfriGeneas?

daviss: I just read that alt via email

Selma: adds to your continuing "fame" alt..

daviss: Rodney Sam and Jhonora

alt: ain't that sumpin daviss after 4 years & a meeting that took place in 2006

daviss: thats great

Selma: That is one of the "pluses" to the internet

alt: as Selma said earlier "At this point I think my first rule for researchers..is TAKE a DEEP BREATH and know that this journey is not quick or easy"

daviss: true alt and Selma

Khathu: Have a great day everyone/

Selma: also goes to show that what you "put on the internet" has a life of its own

alt: sure does Selma

daviss: lots of good links out there

Selma: Which also has "pluses" and "minuses"..depending on what you post.. LOL I even missed Serena's win yesterday alt.. But was glad to see that she won

alt: It was exiting Selma

daviss: taking off now

Selma: Me too folks..

daviss: take care U2

Selma: Have a great day folks...

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy