Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-09-04

*SatNiteChat

*SatNiteChat

Start: 21:00:01
End: 22:24:37
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, AmosNY, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora, Khathu, ryan, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vkn

AYWalton: Howdy 3rdthawkins.

Seventies Soulchild: Hello 3rd and AYWalton

AYWalton: Hello there, SoulChile! how are you going?

Seventies Soulchild: good... & you? AYWalton, I have a family that needs your expertise. Charge them as much as you like... lol

AYWalton: I see. that's interesting, who is the family?

Seventies Soulchild: The family of one Doc Owens out of Arkansas and Mississippi.

Spivey: Hi everyone!

AYWalton: howdy Spivey.

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Spivey.

AYWalton: have you been helping them with research?

Seventies Soulchild: Actually, no. They are the people who keep insisting that we are related, but we are not. I've tried to help them a little, but they keep on insisting. I told them to do some add'l research in northern MS for their Owens family. The impression that I get is that they are only using the census records to trace their family and nothing else.

AYWalton: oh well-----I don't need another project.

Seventies Soulchild: Me either. . .

3rdthawkins: Welcome everyone :)

Seventies Soulchild: I referred them to your youtube videos.

Spivey: Hi 3rdthawkins!

AYWalton: thanks, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: So what else is going on with everyone's research??

3rdthawkins: hello Amos

Seventies Soulchild: Hello AmosNY

Spivey: Expanded my list of names again today Seventies Soulchild so I am happy about that. Hi AmosNY!

AmosNY: Hi Soulchild,Angela,Hawkins,Spivey!

Seventies Soulchild: oh good Spivey. I'm looking into another possible relative who had a CW soldier It would be great to get my hands on that widows' pension file if it is my McFarland

AYWalton: Greetings, AmosNY!

Spivey: I don't think any of my ancestors fought in the Civil War Seventies Soulchild. Sounds intriguins.

3rdthawkins: Well, I learned there are no registers of baptism, marriage, confirmed or communion records for my grgr gm's sisters

Spivey: Hi jhonora!

Seventies Soulchild: hello jhonora

AmosNY: Hawkins, were they before the Civil War?

3rdthawkins: hey jhonora

Spivey: Seventies Soulchild someone was discussing those files here but I forget who.

AmosNY: Hello jhonora!

3rdthawkins: no after AmosNY 1870s-1880s

jhonora: Evening Spivey, 70s, AmosNY, 3rdthawkins, AYWalton!

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe it was AYWalton or alt.

Spivey: Why don't you think you can get t hem Seventies Soulchild?

jhonora: Where were you searching for registers 3rd?

Seventies Soulchild: I can, but I would rather take another trip to Washington D.C. LOL Instead of ordering them by mail.

AYWalton: hey hey hey, it's honoray!!

Spivey: lol

jhonora: Hello AYWalton!

AYWalton: howdy jhonora! You back in school?

3rdthawkins: Charlesotn, SC jhonora Dioceses of Charleston

jhonora: Yes, AY, been back three weeks. Going well thus far.

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Khathu

Spivey: Hi Khathu!

3rdthawkins: I had sent mail to them, the only way I could for genealogy

Khathu: Hello everyone

AmosNY: Hi Khathu!

jhonora: They have a nice archives 3rd, good bit of St.-Domingue people were there.

3rdthawkins: just received a response in the mail today.........hello Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: I read that article about L'Hermitage in the Washington Post.. what an interesting story.

3rdthawkins: yes, they do jhonora

Spivey: Don't know it Seventies Soulchild although the name sounds familiar.

jhonora: It was interesting 70s, so brutal.

3rdthawkins: if I join the Society, do any of you think I can get more info on my grgr gm and her siblings', and possibly their father James Payson????

Seventies Soulchild: Its a plantation that was in Maryland in the late 1700's early 1800's

Spivey: Okay. That's where I heard the name. Probably saw it on a list of plantations.

Seventies Soulchild: jhonora, it reminded me of that woman who lived in New Orleans who used to torture her slaves.. can't recall her name though.

Spivey: Which society is that 3rdthawkins?

jhonora: Her name was Delphine Macarty Lalaurie, 70s.

3rdthawkins: both, I guess Spivey....Charleston Gen Soc. and So. Car. Gen Soc.

AYWalton: Not familiar with her name, jhonora.

Seventies Soulchild: Thank you jhonora

Spivey: Oh, okay 3rdthawkins. Are there any dues or is joining free?

jhonora: AY, she brutally tortured her slaves in her attic and was run out of town.

3rdthawkins: I contacted teh South Carolina Department of History and Archives, they wrote back saying there is no records of James Payson

AYWalton: wow what a terrible story.

3rdthawkins: Dues Spivey

Seventies Soulchild: Yes the house is supposed to be haunted.

Spivey: Ah.

AYWalton: there is a slave house in southern Illinois like that.

Spivey: No guarantee they will be able to find what you're looking for 3rdthawkins is there?

3rdthawkins: the SC GEn Soc. Charges members and non members, of course non members pay more Spivey Nope but the prices are bad though even for non members

Spivey: Will either society do a look up for you and then charge you for the results?

jhonora: I'll consider joining 3rd., mine are from Chester County, SC.

3rdthawkins: possibly Spivey the only problem, I know, there's no way of connecting a white plantation owner to a black family they won't even be able to do that

Spivey: Ah, freeaainnc is in North Carolina but I wonder if she has access to records in South Carolina as well. There are ways 3rdthawkins. Many researchers have done it.

3rdthawkins: from the parish records for my grgr gm, it appears James/William Payson wasn't married to Adelaide's mother that's cool Spivey

Spivey: Hi vkn!

jhonora: Evening vkn

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

vkn: howdy all y'all

jhonora: Who was Adelaide, 3rd?

3rdthawkins: my grgr gm jhonora

jhonora: Unusual name for SC ... I think.

3rdthawkins: you must not research in SC often jhonora ROTFLMBO lol there's Adelaide

jhonora: lol

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!!!!! Did not see you slip in the door!

3rdthawkins: Adeline, Ardelle, Adell, Della, Delle there's a slave owner by the name of Adelaide E. Gibbes as Spivey said, I didn't know how common that name was until I started researching it.......I only knew of Adelaide on Diff'rent Strokes

jhonora: I had a g-g-g-g-grandmother A-dell-i-eed (Adelaide).

Spivey: It's not quite as common as 'Uncle Bubba' though 3rdthawkins which every southern family seems to have one of. No given or surname, just 'Uncle Bubba'.

3rdthawkins: my grgr gm Adelaide, then her son and her daughter named their daughtes Adelaide, and my gf gave Adelaide to one of his daughtes as a middle name well, Nicknames are often more common than given names Spivey

Spivey: Perhaps.

3rdthawkins: just like surnames, a Nickname can be given for different reasons

Spivey: I know. Like 'Popeye' described some physical characteristic. There were a lot of Popeyes too.

3rdthawkins: I know in the Bible, Given names were given for specific reasons (like a person's character, personality, or something the parent has been through it means more to the parent than the child)

vkn: AYW we will be looking for fokes on the ground to people the AfriG booth in MD.

3rdthawkins: hello ryan

AmosNY: Hi VKN! Hello Ryan!

ryan: Hi all - 3rd, Amos, AY, Jhonora, 70's, Spivey and VKN

Spivey: 3rdthawkins that extends beyond the bible. My surname SPIVEY means denoted a lazy, shiftless person in Ireland. It is also of English derivation, but I don't know its meaning in English.

ryan: Sup Khatu

Spivey: Hi ryan!r

jhonora: Evening ryan and khathu

vkn: Amos!

3rdthawkins: Oh, definitely, I'm sure it does Spivey I believe so

Spivey: Hi Daviss!

3rdthawkins: hello Davis

daviss: hello everyone!

3rdthawkins: s

AmosNY: Hi Daviss!

AYWalton: Greetings, daviss!!

ryan: Sup Daviss

AYWalton: jhonora you need a seatbelt?

jhonora: I do, maybe string and glue too.

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn daviss ryan

AYWalton: are you in class now, jhonora?

Seventies Soulchild: Y'all I'm going to have to talk to you in a few... brb

jhonora: No indeed, AY.

AYWalton: when do classes start? ok SoulChile.

jhonora: Oh yes, AY. We've been back three weeks. Thought you meant "now"

AYWalton: lol how many credits as you being your sophmore year?

vkn: I guess alt is making his super presentation long about now

Spivey: What is your major jhonora and minor if you have one?

AYWalton: hope you are taking some interesting history courses.

jhonora: I'm taking 18 hours. I'm a history major.

Spivey: Oh. One of my worst subjects. I admire you. I just couldn't get the hang of it. Are your studies oconcentrated on a particular era, epoch, etc., jhonora? Or a particular group, country, ?

jhonora: Southern U.S.

Spivey: Okay. Time period?

AYWalton: sounds like you have a full course load, jhonora.

ryan: 18 hours - yeah

jhonora: They have varying degrees of "hardness."

AYWalton: something for you, jhonora: http://www.si.edu/ofg/intern.htm summer internships at the Smithsonian for history majors.

jhonora: Thanks, AY.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey everyone.

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary!

AYWalton: howdy Ingrid.

Spivey: Is there a topic for tonight or is it open discussion of genealogy?

AYWalton: open Spivey.

vkn: Ingrid, Ryan, Khathu, Spivey, Jhonora, AYW, Daviss, 3rd, Seventies and all

AYWalton: Oh BTW there are some new publications out about the Great Migration. Sundays NYTimes book review covered one of them. I also saw another one online.

ryan: Really? AY? What are they and what are the focus of thes?

Spivey: Which one AYWalton?

AYWalton: trying to see if I can locate the links.

ryan: (speaking of the great Migration AY, did you ever locate that "The promised land") ?

AYWalton: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/books/review/Oshinsky-t.html?_r=2&nl=books&emc=booksupdateema1

vkn: The author is a pulitzer awardee

ryan: the PBS documentary from the 90's

AYWalton: one is called, "The Warmth of Other Suns." they both seem quite interesting. worth book marking and reading. what was that ryan? the promised land?

ryan: http://www.amazon.com/Promised-Land-Migration-Changed-America/dp/0679733477

AYWalton: Not familiar with that publication, ryan.

ryan: Awesome documentary of the 1 million plus black migration from the south (miss delta, tn ark etc) to Chicago

Ingrid_Doweary: "I think Ryan maybe referring to 'the promised land' as part of the "The Eyes on the Prize" documentary series, AY. Is that right, Ryan?

AYWalton: ahhhh ok!! I was wondering!

Khathu: goodnight everyone

AYWalton: because the link was a publication.

Ingrid_Doweary: I stand corrected, Ryan. I have heard of the previous book title.

ryan: there was a 5 part video documentary on the story its only vhs though -

AYWalton: the link you sent was a book link,, ryan.

ryan: one sec

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Ryan. I spoke to soon.

ryan: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124081/ Narrated by Morgan Freeman Awesome work if you can get your hands on it

AYWalton: ok thanks!

vkn: and it deals with migration ryan?

AYWalton: greetings, Ms. Selma!

Selma: Good evening everyone

jhonora: AY, we've been working here to preserve a 17-room mansion of Afr. Amer. from eminent domain.

AmosNY: Hi Selma!

ryan: Yes, primarily from the Mississipi delta and to the various slums of chicago and the experiences of the people down south and further oppression in chicagio "the promised land"

3rdthawkins: hey Selma

vkn: thankee ryan

ryan: (during the great migration)

Ingrid_Doweary: Interesting, Ryan. I first studied migration in Sr. high school for an urban studies class.

ryan: My parents and grandparents were a part of that migration from the delta

Ingrid_Doweary: The delta refers to Mississippi, Ryan?

ryan: correct - MS Delta

Ingrid_Doweary: Please bear with me on the questions. I have lots to learn.

ryan: its just American history

AYWalton: The "Delta" is a region.

vkn: Welcome to the club Ingrid

AYWalton: It covers an area in both Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana---where the tributaries were off the Mississippi, and the culture and oppression of those who lived by sharecropping resided, and of course---their suffering lead to the birth of the blues! From "the Delta".

ryan: Delta generally is the "river delta" areas of Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansa along the Mississippi River

AYWalton: yes, I did forget part of Tennessee.

ryan: Yes AY

jhonora: Part of LA as well, along Hwy 65

Ingrid_Doweary: Be careful Ryan on getting me started on learning American History. The current events of America certainly calls for every american citizen to learn it.

AYWalton: if you use Memphis as a northern point and draw a pyramind down to the Gulf where the Mississippi flows into the Gulf, and encompass both sides of the river---you are looking at "the delta".

ryan: Yes Ingrid, the events of today, were shaped by events of the past

Ingrid_Doweary: Arkansas, huh? Maybe my parents are migrants from the "Delta" also.

AYWalton: it is a geographic term (river delta) that has been incorporated into American culture to describe a region and culture of the American South.

ryan: AY - You are right (thats the motherland for my research)

AYWalton: where in Arkansas, Ingrid?

Ingrid_Doweary: My father is from Marianna, Lee County and my mother is from Camden, Ouachita County.

ryan: Marrianna is in the Delta, the others are not

AYWalton: and trust me---you drive 1 hour south of Little Rock and pull over for gas or ask directions or just strike up a conversation with the locals---you KNOW you are in the Delta! Marianna---oh gracious yes!!!!!

ryan: The delta starts at the river Blytheville north east corner on the river, then down to Louisiana.. The west about 100 miles almost to little rock

AYWalton: definitely the Delta!!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: BRB

ryan: Its a cool place

AYWalton: ryan you have Arkansas ties from the Delta?

jhonora: Yeah, there's an entire website on NE La. and NW Ms. Delta juke-joints.

AYWalton: I wonder how many juke joints survive?

vkn: hmmmmm

jhonora: Quite a few, there are even some further west in La., near Natchitoches.

AYWalton: one such place (not in the Delta) but over in the Territory is going strong---The Down Home Blues Club. this is their annual dusk to dawn weekend, in Rentiesville Oklahoma.

ryan: Yes, my father was born in Memphis, and Raised in the Arkansas delta outside Memphis. My mother was born in the Mississippi Delta (deep) Greenwood, MS.. Both migrated north

AYWalton: I hear ya ryan. I grew up on the other side of the state, not in the Delta at all. But my mom's side moved to Little Rock, but came out of northern Mississippi. One branch moved to Memphis and remained there. my mom's uncle Leonard, played trumpet in several bands all over the Delta. Probably saw lots of those juke joints.

Ingrid_Doweary: Ryan, from a map of Arkansas, Ouachita county is immediately NE of Columbia County and Lee County is in the upper NE quadrant of the state. http://geology.com/county-map/arkansas.shtml

ryan: My fathers brother lives in Forest City, Ar.. off Highway 1 (north south) in the Arkansas delta.. My cousin told me, from here, they call it "the black belt" its like 90% black all the way down to New Orleans in this strip

vkn: Juke Joint equals South lol

jhonora: There's one going strong, Roque's in Natchitoches.

ryan: http://ualr.edu/seniorjustice/uploads/2008/11/map.gif

vkn: I thought they were passe jhonora

jhonora: No indeed, I pass one everytime I go to my folks in Shubuta, Ms.

AYWalton: It would be interesting to take a trip with a group of other interested folks down the Delta! If I had money I would love to do that and collect oral histories along the way.

jhonora: Would be a fun trip, Tom Dent did some interviews up that way.

ryan: Jhonora - Shubuta thats starting to get close..

jhonora: Shubuta and Pachuta.

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, Ryan I get it, thanks

ryan: is that Noxubee County?

jhonora: That is Clarke County, Ms.

AYWalton: ahh yes, Noxubee county. I have been doing some research in that county for someone.

ryan: ok (same area) - what are your names in that area?

Selma: Nite folks..just dropped in for a few

jhonora: Nelson and Brown, don't have too much thus far.

vkn: Ingrid_Doweary aremyou planning to to AAGHS in Oct

AYWalton: been researching Douglas, Garvins, and Carpenters.

Ingrid_Doweary: I was, but I'm not sure if the funds will be available.

vkn: Ingrid_Doweary are you planning to to AAGHS in Oct

ryan: Stange this - one of my aunts told me our grandmother was from Noxepata, MS (Noxubee).. But all records show Marshall county.. She is (lets say, getting up there). but I can't understand where she pulled this name from.. The place really exist, but no records there

vkn: Yup pennies are tight and scarce

ryan: I do know, my uncles wife Haynes are from Noxubee

Ingrid_Doweary: Vkn, I plan to attend if I can find the funds to do so.

vkn: I hear ya

ryan: Shautauk, MS - Haynes

jhonora: Dem AAGHS have to leave the east coast sometimes lol

3rdthawkins: gotta go, gonna give ghe cpu to my niece so she can have something to do, getting a little bored for a 1 yr old

AYWalton: well folks, I have to run. Have a great evening everyone.

Ingrid_Doweary: Evening AY

jhonora: Got to do more work for the landmark application for the S. W. Green House. I'm going too. See y'all.

ryan: lata yall

Ingrid_Doweary: Bye Ryan Okay, Vkn.

daviss: time to get to running I guess. so many phone calls coming in nite all

vkn: Thanx

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy