Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-08-26 • Ordination in Mississippi

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:05:08
End: 13:09:05
Chatters: alt, daviss, Seventies, vkn

Seventies: Good afternoon lovelies!

daviss: hello there Seventies!

Seventies: Hi daviss!

daviss: How's it going?

Seventies: well, it didn't take long for me to get annoyed at work.

daviss: LOL I was just going to ask if you had gotten grounded yet at work

Seventies: But we're not going to discuss that. I have about 5 more ordinations from the book we discussed yesterday.

daviss: kinda bossy huh

Seventies: I worked on doing the transcriptions for that. Trying not to dwell on the negatives...

daviss: did you put the five up yet

Seventies: No not yet. I'm glad that I was able to get those things.

daviss: that was really great to see. Good job on picking it out..Valuable

Seventies: Thanks, I was just trying to get every document in the book. I have a big old court case I am planning on going over. Its doubtful that I will find any genealogical information on my family, but I am just curious on how these people lost their property.

alt: Hey sistuh's, what's up?

Seventies: I also found out that Ben's Corner, our family property, was named for my great grandfather's brother Benjamin Washington. Hi alt. How's it going?

daviss: did you ask about using your camera/phone. I think I remember Khathu saying they charged him a dollar a copy if he used his SMH

Seventies: I ALWAYS use my camera at the courthouse. FREE is better than even one cent.

daviss: I agree but I was surprised that they still charged him a dollar a copy

alt: doing fine daviss, how bout you?

Seventies: alt, I have some documents that may be of interest to you. some AME ordinations I came across from Wilkinson and Adams County, MS from the late 1800's

daviss: very well so far this morning thanks

alt: I ain't 'bout to ask Seventies .. how she's doing ... I read back in the chat log LOL

Seventies: lol Did you read my follow up? lol

alt: bout property???

Seventies: No, about not dwelling on the negative.

alt: oh yes, & good, happy to hear you're dwelling on the positive,, course you didn't say exactly that, but ......

Seventies: yep. :} So I was saying that I found some ordinations in the Colored Marriage record book from 1867 - 1869 from Wilkinson C ounty, MS There were some from Louisiana, Adams Co. and Wilkinson Co. MS. One of the records was for an ordination of an Elder into the AME church. Another for a deacon in the Baptist church.

alt: great!!! those records you're transcribing and putting online will be invaluable to others in the future Seventies

Seventies: It appears from the records that I looked at the Elders had greater responsibilities than the ministers or deacons.

alt: a cosuin, Sheila Farmer Clay did something similar for a few counties in this area on 'people of color' back in the 1980's and they are a "boon" to genealogists just now coming on board today.

Seventies: okay. I only have a few as I could only get one book this time.

alt: cousin ... so keep up the good work Seventies !!!!!!!!

Seventies: thanks alt!

daviss: How many pages to the book seventies

Seventies: roughly about 600-650 daviss

daviss: wow!

Seventies: All pages for that timeframe are filled. 1867-1869

alt: she did Black B.M. & D records for Champaign Co., Ohio 1864-1907 and I still reference my copies of those records today as I'm connecting families.

Seventies: So I'm working now on tracking down the men who signed the bonds for some of my known relatives. I had so much success with Jack Westrope, I thought I'd try my hand at some of my other family members

alt: wonderful!!!!! he was an Elder, Minister????

Seventies: No Jack Westrop was the brother of my direct ancestor Scott Washington.

alt: ah so, okay

Seventies: Stephen Earls in this instance of the ordination that I posted I presumed was the uncle of my gg grandaunts Kate and Jane. His marriage license appears on the very next page after his ordination certificate. I will have to go back and verify this.

alt: these are A.M.E. ordinations??

Seventies: Not Stephen Earls. he was First General Baptist out of Louisiana. Their African Council, but I do have one for the AME church. This gentleman, whose name escapes me right now, was ordained as an elder in the AME

alt: Religious research is another whole animal, just like slavery research...

Seventies: Right, but what is unique about these records is that I have never seen ordination certificates in a marriage license booklet. It was a great way to preserve these records.

alt: daviss, my Browns came back down to earth after Saturday's whupping was put on them :( boo hoo LOL

Seventies: smh I am boring you all? lol lol lol

alt: not at all. I like your 'enthusiasm'

daviss: and to solidy that the person/persons doing the marriage were legal

Seventies: right. Of course the documents are signed by the members of the approving council... another link to the communty and in the case of the AME certificate, by the bishop

daviss: and my Cards went down to kindergarden level alt smh

Seventies: Well guess who is playing at West Point on Friday?? Morgan State University. I CANNOT wait to see the band!

daviss: stepping high!

alt: I wonder Seventies .. do any of the HBCU's in the area ..Alcorn, Grambling, etc. have these type of records in their archives?

Seventies: I've already got my orange and blue lined up for my nail polish! lol Sorry I have to support Morgan State 110%! What types of records alt? You mean team game schedules?

alt: Morgan State is playing West Point??

Seventies: yessir!

alt: No Seventies, those type of records you're accumulating.

Seventies: I don't know what kinds of holdings that their archives have.

alt: WOW.. go on Morgan State... that is a step up in the scheduling ...the military academy I'm saying it would be wonderful if they had those types of records Seventies ... hint, hint LOL

Seventies: Remember back in the day, those boys would have never played an HBCU for fear of a good old fashioned whipping on the field. oh.... lol lol lol

alt: You could start the L.T. Lanier Collection :)

Seventies: I know, huh? :}

alt: yep

Seventies: that was always one of my dreams was to get a large collection of books and donate them to an institution. I really fouled that up by giving my collection to the local Baptist Church. Won't make that mistake again.

alt: coming up this Saturday .... Adams marker dedication .....http://www.remarkableohio.org/HistoricalMarker.aspx?historicalMarkerId=106290

daviss: what did they do with them Seventies?

Seventies: Nothing.

daviss: What did you expect then to do?

Seventies: You know how much I love books and papers and historical documents.

daviss: Great Alt!!!

Seventies: daviss at least open the collection to the African-American community. But I realize that I could've done this myself. Lesson learned.

daviss: so if I go to the church I will not be able to view them?

alt: yep. Seventies

Seventies: If you can find them.... :( So again, on to the positive. Alt will this be recorded for later viewing? The event?

daviss: so I am assuming that you went to see lol

Seventies: yes... and you know me, I have spies everywhere.

alt: right Seventies. I suggested to St. Paul A.M.E. church found in 1824 by some of my ancestors that they have their books, logs & ledgers photographed & perhaps digitized and the 'folks in power' looked at me as if I was crazy

daviss: I wonder if they are utilized on Church reunion days etc

Seventies: alt.... we just don't take advantage of technology.... I'll leave it right there.

alt: I think it will be taped Seventies .. if so I'll see that my 'friends' get a copy

Seventies: I'm just exhausted with giving out good ideas and suggestions.

alt: that does include you Seventies LOL LO re: friends

Seventies: That would be awesome alt. :} I think that I have enough photos on my Facebook page to create a book.... what do you all think? daviss, y'all includes you too... lol

alt: yep... have you thought of organizing them into "albums" of different categories?

Seventies: I already have them categorized. Pretty well I think.

alt: my partner knows it includes her Seventies, just wanted to let you were included to ... as a 'youngun' LOL LOL

daviss: very well could be Seventies..Anthony bought me Freedom which has 500 pages of pics

vkn: Daviss Alt Seventies !!!!!

alt: tardy slip me vkn... where is it? LOL

vkn: lol lol

Seventies: vkn is over there getting her meals custom made by her son... lol

daviss: In fact that would be a great book for you to submit to a library Seventies

vkn: I wish seventies lol

alt: there you go daviss, see Seventies, the L.T. Lanier Collection is already off to a good start.

daviss: In fact two libraries since lots of those pics include Chicago peeps

Seventies: Not many Chicago folks, many many Detroit folks lol

daviss: ok then 3 libraries :?

Seventies: oh daviss is feeling sassy today, eh.... lol

alt: Chicago, Detroit .. same difference Seventies ... Up South folks LOL

daviss: I would kill to see something like that in Marshall texas

vkn: Heyyy yall add pics of family events to the Reunion forum. That should be fun and invite/encourage others to do so as well

daviss: will mabe not kill lol

Seventies: lol

alt: 'Sippi folks who done gone Up South

vkn: or out south lol

Seventies: that reminds me, I need to look up this photo studio in Merdian, MS

vkn: My tardy is trying to hire a new cleaning lady Alt and y'all

alt: vkn, meant to tell you .. sho can see some vkn in Muriel LOL LOL

vkn: thankee alt lol she /Muriel is trying to remember when she said yes lol

daviss: lol

alt: tell her .. too late. the 'do' is 'done'

vkn: lol lol lol

Seventies: Alright I need to get back to work because there is PLENTY of it. lol You all have a good day!

alt: still haven't made it to see the "Butler" any of y'all seen it?

vkn: Friend in Santa Barbara went and had an emotional break during the event. Still recovering

alt: is that right, wow!!!

vkn: emotional She is 90

alt: maybe I'd better stay home

daviss: yes vkn I am understanding its a very powerful film

vkn: I do not plan to see

alt: hey y'all .. gotta scoot, laters

daviss: neighbor next door boo hoo'd just telling me

vkn: Yes healing is a lifetime process Daviss process

daviss: I will go sometime this week hopefully

vkn: Tell me about it back to your project

daviss: and go today or tomorrow to vote for city council

vkn: okies I may call a bit later when I start your death cert search take all care

daviss: ok vkn take care

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy