Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-07-28 • The Bride's Book

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:42:36
End: 13:23:59
Chatters: alt, daviss, keli1, selma, vkn

alt: hello trisha, want some company? :) hello vkn

vkn: Happy Dancer Alt Morning

alt: what's up?

vkn: I can tell you are still smiling All is well no problem with the link you posted

alt: I kept getting an error when I tried to access the link.

vkn: At least I had no prob

alt: okay, no problem

vkn: and the info on the GEDCOM uploading was/is good for all

alt: yes, I think so

vkn: Wondering about posting wedding info historically as a project Could do the Atlanta Daily World and the Chicago Defender

alt: that type of story is always good .. historically... we (Blacks) did more than just jump over a broom in the master's front yard LOL

vkn: The descriptions are fun as well as historic So elaborate

alt: Yes, I have one to post about 1900 ,,, the invited guests were very intersting and the gifts presented were described in full detail

vkn: jumped over the entire neighborhood

alt: right

vkn: Well you may recall that gifts were displayed in advance of the event

alt: I remember the gifts, not sure about when they were presented/displayed.

vkn: one room in home of bride was cleared and gifts put on tables

alt: ah so, now I remember

vkn: Then there was the "keeper of the Brides Book" Who itemized what each person gifted

alt: they really followed the rules of etiquette... was it Emily Post, or was this before her time?

vkn: It went on for days No Emily Post was the ruler to the T Emily Post was 2nd to the Bible

alt: yep

vkn: Every home had one

alt: hello keli1

keli1: Good afternoon!

vkn: Howdy keli1 So what is new keli1

keli1: Nothing new hear, still dealing with simple but hard genealogy challenges, LOL

alt: hi daviss

vkn: Howdy Daviss How you be

daviss: hello there alt, keli1 and vkn!

vkn: keli1 for example

keli1: Hello to Vicki in AZ, how are you doing?

alt: I saw where Shamele, Debbie Aboot & a couple of other AA ladies attedned the GRIP --- Genealogy Research Institute of Pittsburg this past week.

daviss: I am as well as could be expected thanks What was their take alt?

keli1: I saw that as well, I considered attending it

alt: dunno, just saw a photo online with them in the photo.

daviss: ahhh ok

vkn: alt is GRIP similar to MAAGI?

keli1: I completed a long time ago the application for first families and never submitted it, I must do this

alt: I would imagine so vkn. first families of ????

keli1: MAAGI focused on AA not sure if GRIP does

vkn: Is that John Logan or?

keli1: you know if ancestors are documented during certain times they get a certificate recognizing it

alt: I doubt it re: focus.. there were only 4-5 Black ladies in the photo of about 25-30 people and it was a course on Land records

keli1: it is called First families, also MAAGI is of course open to all

vkn: ahhhh I see, thanx

alt: I know keli1 I'm a member of the OGS 1st families of Ohio lineage society having documented ancestors in Ohio prior to 1820. actually before 1803 & Statehood

vkn: keli1 is your first familiesVA ?

keli1: yes same thing Art, they have different categories

alt: I went in OGS FFO in 2005... Also Settlers & Builders .. ancestories in Ohio before 1851 & the CW veterans families for a CW ancestor.

keli1: These first families (Davis) are PA

alt: okay keli1

daviss: How far back have you been able to go keli1?

alt: what is the criteria for PA keli1?

keli1: on the Davis in PA 1838, but believe I can go back further to VA, I don't believe they began in VA, for VA I can go back fairly far, on Worden-back to England-1500s

alt: getting into a lineage society is a great way to "verify" your documentation.... most societies act as 'gate keepers' and won't let you in if your i's aren't dotted & your t's crossed.

vkn: Del Jupiter has 1st families Florida

alt: ah so, great for Del Jupiter

keli1: I agree, same with DAR, it is all about the documentation,

alt: Florida must be back into the 17th century for FF of Fla.

keli1: awesome vkn on Del Jupiter. all this chit chat means i am suppose to finish that project.

daviss: surely keli1 you don't have more than one project going lol

vkn: Del may just be Pensacola not sure

daviss: what about you vkn how far back?

keli1: PA1638-1790, 1791-1865 and 1866-1900

vkn: 1808 is eldest HENDRIX-BELL but breaks in events and documentation.

alt: I figured Pa would be very early as it is an original colony.

daviss: Is that in Fla vkn or Bamer?

keli1: last night i typed up as many surnames I could think of and will continue to add, that is my new so called project. where in Florida vkn

vkn: VA-PA daviss but not specific to 1st families

daviss: ok vkn

alt: oh man, that could really be a biggie keli1 re: surnames, especially if there were a lot of daughters in the ancestral lineage... new surnames thru marriages.

vkn: Jackson County Keli BLACKSHEAR-KING

keli1: I lived in Tallahassee for years before I moved to VA.

vkn: Have LESLIE in Fernandina keli1

daviss: wow keli1

alt: on surnames.. can you imagine the 'new" surnames from your family if say from a family of 15-16 children as in the old days there were 9-10 daughters.. hence 9-10 'new' surnames in that ancestral line.

vkn: Ex president of Spelman has Fernandina 1st roots

keli1: I wonder if you are related to the King's, who married a Murphy in my family. hmm, the King's now live in Atlanta, lived in Grand Rapids Michigan, Detroit, etc.

vkn: No known Murphy keli1

keli1: Art, I can't imagine, it was mind blowing, just the little I have done

vkn: Lots of FPOC Fernandina

keli1: Paul King married Monica Murphy, I am trying to think of Paul's mother. hmmm..

alt: keli1, I'm still finding relatives from the Reno lines out of Medina, Ohio due to them having 8 daughters and their marriges created new surname relationships with their children.

vkn: My Paul King is a SLATER married an Amaya Portland from Spain

daviss: so far I have no Adams, Murphy, Slater, King, Reno , Portland hendrix Bell or nada {sniff, sniff}

keli1: oh my goodness Art, 8 girls, geez, I am still trying to determine if my guy served in civil war out of Ohio, have to take a break

vkn: sniff

keli1: Art, you will not track the woman, you will have to track her kids then go back, LOL

alt: but you're probably related to a family where there was a female in the family of an Adams, Murphy, King, slater, Reno, Portland, Hendrix & Bell and their surname changed with a marriage. right keli

keli1: art, any links to Imes?

vkn: Fancy move Keli1

daviss: oops keli1 wb hope so alt!

alt: vkn, you know Hendrix, like in Jimmy Hendrix is a variation of Hendricks.. who btw has ancestors from Urbana, Ohio ... his grandpa

keli1: My Davis's were only in Ohio for about 5 yrs, brought land and then left -

alt: not sure keli1 right keli1, but the were a bunch of ex-Ohio folks in the area of mIchigan were they settled.

vkn: oh really alt? my HENDRIX/HENDRICKS/HENDRICHS is VA WVA rooted

keli1: Joseph Davis first wife is Mary Belle Imes, I think they were married in Ohio, but haven't been able to prove it -yet Interesting vkn, where in WV?

vkn: none specific keli1 just in the census schedule

alt: keli1, there might be a marriage record on familysearch.org ... wouldn't hurt to look for an Imes/Davis marriage, if you haven't already an Ohio marriage on familysearch.org .. I've seen them for AA's as early as 1807.

keli1: vkn, if in Jefferson county, let me know, I have lots of resources. Yes have checked family search and have to continue on a regular basis

alt: i knew you had keli1, but just had to mention it anyway LOL

vkn: Thanx keli1 lots of quilt pieces with no matching threads. Thanx. Making a note of you as resource

keli1: I visit family search on a daily basis, darn shame, they are about 100 yrs ahead of ancestry, so I check them first and they scan up about a million records a week

alt: I was telling vkn last night that familysearch has added the "official" marriage for the NC co-habitation records ... yesterday I found my Peter & Louisa Lawrence's marriage it 1866 .. it stated they had been co-habitants for the previous 19 years. and there was an image of the actual record.

vkn: It is amazing

keli1: oh my goodness that is awesome!!!!! 19 yrs, now you can go back a bit on the 19yrs?

alt: yes keli1, I have followed the family from the 1850 slave schedules into the 1870 census and of course up to 1940.

daviss: thats wonderful alt!

keli1: woohoo! I am hoping for more to come....

vkn: Indeed it is wonderful

alt: take a look at my story .. I don't have a blog, but here is the storyhttp://tinyurl.com/kjpyebe

keli1: oh I will,

vkn: Do you have other NC mysteries Alt

alt: oh yeah vkn .. most of my NC ancestry is a mystery to me.

vkn: The AAH has all NC Cohabs alt

alt: really!!!!! hello Selma

daviss: libraries alt

vkn: At least the marriage records are

selma: Good afternoon folks

keli1: Hello Selma! I access thru school

vkn: Howdy Selma but alt you be beyond average

keli1: well folks I need to eat-it was good chatting and thanks for the motivation to submit my first families to PA, great reminder, good for us all to do like Art and Ohio, ttyl

vkn: okies keli1 good to chat

alt: take care keli1

vkn: what device are you using keli1

daviss: talk later keli1

keli1: oh I am on my ipad

vkn: okies thanx keli1

keli1: food and cspan-3, american history tv, "Religious Identity in Early America, airing now, if u are interested bye!

daviss: bye me I am gonna do some more family searching lol

selma: Not too much alt

alt: daviss, practice with the ancestry.com new search

daviss: lol alt I have already

alt: is it getting easier to use?

vkn: I need to learn

daviss: I like the old one better to tell you the truth

selma: Wow..re the cohabitation records on family search alt

alt: me too, but I can live with the new search as I get used to it

vkn: What is easier to like Daviss Have you tried it Selma

alt: yes, Selma .. well NC marriage records which includes the co-habitation records

selma: No I was just reading back and saw what alt said Oh ok.. Was that information not provided in Barnetta's book

vkn: What is easier to like Daviss

selma: Is it the actual image?

alt: I dound my ancestors who were in Barnetta's books with the actual record image on familysearch

daviss: To me its not bad vkn It may be because of the Its always been that way concept lol

selma: Ok...great

vkn: okies understanding

alt: yep, the actual image w/ marrying official and the # of years the co-habitated Selma .. try Peter & Louisa Lawrence, edgecombe co NC

selma: I will... Does it show the whole page? Or was it a separate certificate

alt: I saw just their record selma .. separate & by itself

daviss: did you know both names already alt

alt: but you can go forward or backwards for surrounding records yes daviss okay vkn, thanks!!

daviss: did yours download yet alt?

selma: I like browsing..

alt: I like the individual records cause you can print and scan without 'cropping"

daviss: ok Selma

selma: Have a great day

vkn: okies selma

alt: takec are

daviss: I am still slow...what is USCTERS

alt: well y'all I'm off to do some more 'gold mining' take care

vkn: USCT peeps

daviss: oh

vkn: bye for now

daviss: bye :(

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy