Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-06-07 • NJ Black Birth Records

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:07:20
End: 13:06:28
Chatters: alt, daviss, Selma, Seventies, vkn

alt: hey daviss, what's up?

daviss: hello alt!

Seventies: Hello alt and daviss!

daviss: its hot as heck here so far...gonna be around 110 today I need a pool lol

alt: foolin' with gedmatch & I have 2 matches that you share with .. Erma L. & Margaret Berry-McWilliams

daviss: hello Seventies!

alt: Hello seventies

daviss: you match Erma!!

Seventies: It's about half that here daviss and raining due to Tropical storm Andrea

alt: daviss, can you 'splain this to me? LOL LOL yes daviss, I lowered the threshold to 5cM & I see your name on my listing...but we don't match on anything :(

daviss: I have to look at Margaret B Williams alt but Erma L's dad and mine are brothers

Seventies: I was just reading online about the new AA birth records found in NJ I recall that someone posted a query from a NJ county for help with AA records in the county on Afrigeneas. Someone from the county records dept

alt: WOW Daviss!!!! Erma L & I match at 5.1 cM on Chr 14.

daviss: interesting alt, but no sign of me anywhere?

vkn: Y'all be speaking Greek

Seventies: right vkn... lol

alt: not as a match daviss, but your name is on the listing at the 5cM level

daviss: hmmmm ok alt

alt: Daviss is gonna have to 'splain it to me too LOL

daviss: lol lol lol recombination I suspect alt lol

alt: Lisa L (bearnut) and her folks are matching me at like the 20-30 cM level

daviss: somebody somewhere on a distant shore

alt: yep, my peeps might be involved with your NC connections years ..... (generations ago

daviss: yep

alt: so what's up with vkn & Seventies

Seventies: I got nothin' lol

vkn: robert e lee

Seventies: Oh it was my blogiversary a few days ago... lol I am terrible with anniversaries and birthdays... lol

alt: thought that sounded like a song vkn " I got plenty of nothing" LOL

Seventies: Stilll fooling around with this blog entry... ugh.. frustrating. I'm just ready to get myself on the road...

alt: just write it like you feel it Seventies, that's what I'm told bloggers do

Seventies: I haven't felt like it since Sept 2012! I have some blog entries in draft as well...

daviss: and also it will flow just fine

Seventies: Oh also, I have someone who is looking for transcription help

vkn: howdy selma

Seventies: They are doing a film on the Wilmington Race Riots...

alt: Hi Selma

daviss: Hi Selma!

alt: "they" ?????

Selma: Afternoon alt, daviss, seventies and vkn

Seventies: Called Wilimington on Fire. He's going to e-mail me a 2 page doc. I will need a second pair of eyes on that. Any takers? Hi Selma You will be listed in the credits... :}

daviss: thanks but no thanks Seventies

alt: thanks, but no thanks LOL

Seventies: ok

alt: oh my, great minds LOL

daviss: lol

Seventies: Ooh y'all lucky vkn took the rolleyes away.. lol lol lol

alt: we must be cuzzins daviss LOL

daviss: hehehehee

vkn: not that i know of

Seventies: Long time ago, vkn you had a smiley that rolled its eyes... lol loved that thing!

vkn: ahhh

alt: Selma ... Jo Willie is in the French Open semis YEAH!!!!!!!!

Selma: I know alt....we (or I should say Mom) just watched 4 hours of Nadal..now Jo

alt: go mom lol lol

daviss: Good luck with that Seventies

Seventies: Okay Happy Birthday to Prince Nelson Rogers, Jr.

Selma: Who is Prince Nelson Rogers?

Seventies: that's what I say when I'm being sarcastic daviss... lol Prince

vkn: Selma my Sclatter died in 1839

alt: and he asked .... who is "Prince"?

Selma: I at least know that alt.. LOL The white slave owner sclatter?

alt: I do too Selma,, but I gotta "jab" at Seventies when I can LOL LOL

Seventies: LOL

vkn: yes Selma

Selma: and he died where vkn? I haven't printed out or re read yet

daviss: vkn where is Hapeville?

vkn: by the Hartsfield Javkson airport daviss

Seventies: I know I've probably said this before, but I am so anxious to have a facebook group for AA's genealogy in SW MS...

vkn: actually the airport is in hapeville

daviss: ok, the reunion committee changed the hotel from Alpharetta to Hapeville

alt: I just read an interesting article on the recording of slave births in the northern states prior to 'gradual emancipation" ... seems they recorded them so the officials would know when a person became eligible to be freed under those emancipation laws.

Seventies: I just mentioned that alt.. lol

alt: is that what you were referring to Seventies

vkn: name of hotel daviss

Seventies: yeah. There was a poster who posted a query from NJ on Afrigeneas as well I believe regarding a similar record set.

daviss: I think it's a Best Western vkn

Seventies: What and where is Hapeveille?

alt: was the article written by an LDS genealogist Seventies?

Seventies: Yes, the LDS is saying that they 'discovered' these records. But I suspect that they were at the local and county court houses the entire time. hold on y'all. I'll brb.

vkn: okies daviss

alt: they were/are, but the local official didn't really seem to know what they had and why the records were kept for black births & not white births during that time period ... early 1700's in northern states

vkn: interesting

daviss: I imagine in those back basement and boxes there are loads of files and records to be discovered

alt: I thought that was an interesting twist also vkn yep, you bet daviss

daviss: Especially those with a big "C" on them lol

alt: the writer pointed out the 'legal' reasons for recording the births of the enslaved children.

Selma: Which was?

alt: their parents were on the path to gradual emancipation and any children they had would still be 'slaves" until they reached the ages of 25-28 y/o and this was their way of knowing when that age was reached ... 'legally'

daviss: here is the article Selma http://ldsmag.com/article/1/12804

alt: ty daviss

vkn: ty

daviss: I think that is the one alt

alt: it is daviss .. thank you!!

vkn: i will read later

daviss: A part of the mission is to go through those courthouses and get records isn't it?

Selma: Laws are always written to benefit the folks who write them...

alt: the interesting twist to this story is that Black children born in Ohio/Indiana during the early 1800's were "free" and the black children born in NY & some of the northeastern states were NOT born "free". until the mid 1830's & 1840's

vkn: true Selma

alt: at least not "legally" I never thought of that "process"

daviss: i wonder how many free persons were actually stolen and sold back into slavery

vkn: Black changes the nature of things

alt: dunno daviss, but have read of it actually happening.

daviss: I did read a narrative of this happening to one lady in Texas well she was stolen and taken to Texas mabe stolen is not the word

Seventies: Anyone get a chance to listen to the link on the Burkle Estate in Memphis?

alt: so a positive unintended consequence of the black laws for Ohio & other states was the freedom registration papers "proving" a black was a FPOC.

daviss: she was a free woman of color,

alt: I went to the site, but haven't listend to the link Seventies .. I'm always interested in UGRR stories.

Selma: Yes alt...

Seventies: Its pretty interesting.

Selma: BRB..

Seventies: I thought that would add to the layer of where this conversation was going.. .the plight of FPOC in America.. and the not so free.

daviss: I see the announcement is on the Forum regarding the Dr Rose set vkn

vkn: yes daviss

daviss: very good Too bad he did not get to see the result

vkn: sales were slow in las vegas

alt: yes Seventies, I think FPOC stories are as wide & diverse as slave narratives a lot of 'particulars' as relates to time & place for FPOC as well as the enslaved

vkn: Oh he did see the results daviss

daviss: oh ok vkn

Seventies: Agree alt.

alt: wb Selma

daviss: wb Selma

Seventies: But what strikes me is the kidnapping...

Selma: There are probably more than we know seventies..you only really hear about the individuals who manage to get someone to help them in the courts or get their stories out.

Seventies: exactly...

alt: some good reading is about the 'slave cacthers' coming into Ohio following the passage of the 1850 Fugitive Slave Law ..2 good examples online are the Addison White & the Wellington Rescue cases.

Seventies: Kind of like the human trafficking of today.

Selma: Slavery was BIG BUSINESS in this country and in South America and the Caribbean

alt: VERY BIG BUSINESS Selma... in some cases (states) it was the driving economic factor to any wealth a family may have

vkn: oh yes the Solomon Northrup case was noteworthy of s fpoc being re enslaved

Selma: We have a tornado watch until 8 PM

alt: the founding family of Brown Univ. is a classic example

vkn: oh yes the Solomon Northrup case was noteworthy of a FPOC being re enslaved alt daviss selma seventies

Seventies: The movie is being re-made. about Solomon Northrop

daviss: oh yes vkn I had forgotten about Northrop

alt: a story posted on AfriGeneas by Bennie several years ago. http://www.aaggmv.org/archive/ad_white.htm

vkn: will take a look

alt: Addison White's case happened right here in my area of Ohio Mechanics burg is like 15 miles away from Springfield

daviss: gotta run folks..take care and have a good week end

Seventies: you too daviss

Selma: I have to run too folks..have a great day

Seventies: Selma.. lol ... yesterday I choked on your dust, you were out of here so quick@

vkn: lol

Seventies: She got me again.. lol

vkn: bye yall

Seventies: I need to go ahead and get out too... later alt

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy