Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-06-03 • Driving this Summer

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:07:44
End: 13:09:05
Chatters: alt, daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies

Selma: good afternoon daviss

daviss: hi there Selma!

Seventies: Hi daviss and Selma!

daviss: Hi Seventies!

Selma: Afternoon seventies

daviss: I may get bumped out, the puter has been up and down for 2 days now. I think its the heat

Seventies: ok... love the picture of Bruce daviss...

daviss: lol and he hates it

Seventies: What's wrong with it? Looks great! Ok I finished my list of places to go this summer.. holy smokes bat man! lol lol lol

daviss: thats what I told him. He was a nice looking guy back in the day Good for you Seventies..I just did a map quest to see if we should drive to Atlanta but it is a rather long trek

HistoryBuff: Hey all

alt: what's up ladies? Hi daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma & Seventies

daviss: hi alt and historyBuff

Seventies: hi alt and HistoryBuff.

Selma: Afternoon history buff

Seventies: Its probably about 2 days drive, easy daviss.

daviss: 27 hrs via mapquest

Selma: Oh..my back just tightened up reading those words..27 hours

Seventies: You'll need a break by the time you make it to Louisiana.

daviss: lol Selma

HistoryBuff: D

alt: me too Selma, 8 hrs. a day drving is my max.

daviss: airplane tickets 1500 dollars

Seventies: whew!

alt: whoa!!!!!

Seventies: Hey this is why I am driving this summer. I do not have that kind of money. Or the patience for the TSA foolishness.

daviss: Sooooooooo that may dictate what we do

Seventies: I say drive you can visit some wonderful places on the road. that's what we used to do when I was a child and we traveled down south.

HistoryBuff: Sounds like my travel to Mobile AL next year.

Seventies: I remembered that I have a travel bucket list that I can fulfill this summer. Excited about that too!

daviss: Seventies we used to travel all over in the car. Packed empty shoeboxes with fried chicken and other goodies lol

HistoryBuff: I could imagine Seventies.

alt: what would be your route dirving daviss? NM/TX??/?? .... GA

Seventies: We did that a couple of times daviss. :) And I just loved picking up brochures from the rest stops.

HistoryBuff: Yes indeed

Seventies: It would probably be best if y'all picked up I-20

daviss: yes alt I could go two ways, down through tucson or up through Flagstaff. its only a 30 min difference. But the drive through the top of Texas would not be as long I heard groans from daughter and Tyler lol Taylor " thinks' she wants to drive

HistoryBuff: Lol

daviss: what places will you be going Seventies? Besides Ms

alt: that drive would be a very nice experience for Tyler... get to see a lot of 'new' country.

Seventies: I want to visit the Wheat African Cemetery and Stax Museum.. anywhere else is fair game. Also considering the petrified forest in northern MS...

daviss: yep alt he would enjoy that.

Seventies: that's why you should drive daviss.

Selma: Didn't know there was a petrified forest in MS..seventies?

Seventies: Yep

alt: me neither Selma

Seventies: http://www.mspetrifiedforest.com/index.php

Selma: Thanks..interesting

Seventies: Yep... it is very interesting.

daviss: who would a thunk it

Seventies: I get around... lol

daviss: ours lol http://www.nps.gov/pefo/index.htm

HistoryBuff: Thnx 70s

daviss: These United States are full of wonderful sights and scenes

Seventies: So I want to document a couple of plantation cemeteries this summer. Mainly the York Plantation cemetery out in Sibley.

alt: it doesn't seem to say where in MS the forest is located?????

Seventies: Flora, MS Not too far outside Jackson, MS alt.

alt: okay, I was going to ask where is Flora, MS LOL

Seventies: lol well does anyone else have plans for this summer?

alt: we're 'playing it by ear'... no special plans as yet.

HistoryBuff: Planning a family reunion here in DC

Seventies: ok. I was thinking earlier today that my dad's family (Lanier's) need to have a reunion. I can only hope...

daviss: Put it together Seventies

Seventies: lol that would be like mixing gas and a match... lol

Selma: LOL

daviss: oh alt, I saw your name on Gedmatch under a Virginia Calhoun

Seventies: lol yes let's change the subject.. lol has anyone had difficulty getting logged in to Gedmatch, other than me?

daviss: I don't match her but I match her dad I was on last night Seventies Thats when I saw alts name

alt: OOps, was surfing for a minute

daviss: lol lol alt

Seventies: daviss are you still looking for Hopkins?

daviss: yep Seventies, now everywhere I look I see a Hopkins

Seventies: Sadonya just posted some pics of Starling Hopkins on Facebook.

alt: Okay daviss, I'll have to check out me & Virginia LOL

daviss: ok lol

Seventies: is that some kind of Selma joke? lol

daviss: yes we talked about them Seventies but nada yet

Seventies: okay

alt: I still don't understand the options on Gedmatch.

daviss: I forget what chromosome you show up on hers alt. I think its 9 dont hold me to it

alt: okay daviss, I'll check her out ... is that from the list & then do a one to one comparsion? and do you know ... is she "white" of "colored"? LOL of=or

daviss: she is the latter lol

alt: okay, btw I got a new listing from AncestryDNA this AM 35 "new" matches.

Seventies: alt, how do you like AncestryDNA so far?

daviss: 35 wow are any of them close

Selma: ummm..jeez alt..

alt: I'm not really sure of how I like AncestryDNA Seventies Haven't looked yet daviss, just saw the eamil from them about 20 minutes ago.

daviss: lol I just looked in my email and I have 20

Seventies: ok. I see some people putting up the icons on where their presumed ancestry came from based on AncestryDNA's analysis... totally bogus IMO daviss what do you think of AncestryDNA?

daviss: I like 23 better but I am hearing once they get new tools in they will be much better

alt: as Steve Handy says in his last tutorial DNA WILL NOT!!!!! tell you where your ancestors came from.

Selma: Gotta run folks..

daviss: so true alt

Seventies: bye Selma

Selma: Have a great day

daviss: later

HistoryBuff: It's been a learning experience

alt: for sure HistoryBuff

daviss: hard for people to get that through their heads alt

HistoryBuff: Next time folks. Bye.

alt: bye HistoryBuff

Seventies: Later HistoryBuff

daviss: bye HB

alt: I think so daviss ...

daviss: that or they want to believe alt

Seventies: For example, I guess a lot of our people are coming back with roots in Jamaica. Huh?? lol

daviss: I don't have any yet at least amonst the 4 grands that i have

alt: yeah , those "island' origins are laughable to me Seventies .... how did they get to the Islands & from where? unless they ar indigenous "Indians".

Seventies: I do have quite a few distant relatives, emphasis on distant, with R1 roots for my grand dad... totally confused as how he could be related to all those R1s... lol alt, exactly. I just don't get it. I think its just what I thought it was at first, a gimmick. Speaking honestly here, I think that most of these companies are directly attempting to get a good amount of African dna in their database without having to spend the money ie field research like Rick Kittles and his company did.

alt: the 23+me .. country's of ancestry ... isn't that dervied from the survey the folks being tested fill out?

Seventies: I definitely believe that's what 23andme did with this Roots promotion. Yes.

daviss: Not sure alt because most people can only go as far back as say to their ggreats

alt: for me all four grandparents where USA born.

daviss: that is the question that is asked. Now non AA' can

alt: and isn't that all the 23+me asks in the survey... back to grandparents.

daviss: thats what I am saying so I dont think thats where they got it

Seventies: well on their wheel of dna... what I call it.. they have SubSaharan African and that's all.

daviss: and as far as 23 is concerned the Roots thing was done as a health inititave not as a gen quest

alt: good question for Bernice's DNA show.

daviss: we hopped on that because we wanted the autosomal results

alt: I did it because it was "free' I had my auDNA done by FTDNA & AncestryByDNA 5-6 years ago.

daviss: right alt and you did it not for the health angle I think most people who could afford the test went to FTDNA

alt: DNA with Black folks is like the "super fly" phenomena IMHO LOL LOL it's a fad and the 'thing to do"

daviss: of course alt, especially those not in the genealogy field you had yours done yrs before Its another tool for us

alt: and like the 60's & 70's daviss... provong I'm blacker, more proud, hipper & more revolutionary ... okay, off the soapbox.

daviss: as my mom would say alt, its all a wheel within a wheel and will come back in time

alt: yep.. and when you get old-er the spinning wheel gets "old" LOL LOL ... you've seen it before if you live long enough.

daviss: yep

alt: you hear that Seventies LOL LOL LOL

daviss: hahahahahaha

alt: sorry bout picking on the youngster... :(

daviss: yeah right alt :?

alt: well let me go watch Slone Stephens whip up on Maria Sharapova .. laters y'all

daviss: ok take care alt later Seventies!!!

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy