Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-08-17

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:25
End: 14:00:02
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, freeaainnc, Ingrid_Doweary, khathu, Spivey, vicky, vkn

Spivey: Hi vicky!

vicky: hi Spivey!!

alt: I can't keep up with all of the 'new' uploads in my areas of interest.. information overload

Spivey: Share some with me, alt. New uploads where? Footnote, Ancestry, ?

alt: keep checking the lDS pilot site.. for one Spivey.. they're busy adding stuff almost daily and so is ancestry.

vkn: Also spent most of yesterday with family sorting hordes of pictures. We sent a second batch to Scan Cafe. Have either of you used that service?

alt: not me vkn

vicky: I have not vkn

Spivey: I noticed alt. By the way, there is a third site in the works for Family Search. A researcher said that you have to be a member of the LDS church to use it though. Doesn't sound right to me. Hear anything about that?

vkn: Well they do an excellent job. We just got back 1100 pics all scanned to disk and burned to dvd now all family members will have a dvd

alt: pictures .. a couple of cousins have uploaded bunches on the FB accounts... oh that's great vkn

Spivey: I never heard of Scan Cafe vkn. How does it work?

vicky: Is it a pay site vkn?

vkn: Well the pics must be sent in the order you want them done and then sorted in envelopes by year event or whatever and... One must purchase the service vicky

vicky: ok

3rdthawkins: hello alt Spivey vicky and vkn

vicky: 1100 pictures vkn! wow

alt: sounds like a nice service vkn

vkn: howdy 3rd it is a great service spivey

alt: is this a collection of photos gathered from among several family members vkn?

Spivey: I will check it out vkn. Thanks for the information.

vkn: Yes alt my KING family with seven sons and the rest is pictures

alt: that's is wonderful.. so many family members have different 'sets' of pics, it is great to have a collection from several folks

vicky: amen to that Its great that everyone is receptive also

alt: I'm making sure my digital is fully charged for the upcoming Adams reunion... lots of folks are bringing photo albums this year.. or so they say.

vicky: these once every ten yr trickles of a picture here and a picture there is what gets me hello Ingrid How did the reunion turn out Ingrid?

Ingrid_Doweary: This past reunion was fantastic. had a great time.

vicky: good!

alt: wonderful Ingrid_Doweary !!!!

3rdthawkins: well, I would like to tell you all, that my research on Charles and Ella Hawkins is comning along fine. You all know I'm working on understanding my family history in regards to my grfather passing. I have obtained an obit for both Charles and Ella, and learned they both lived and died in South Carolina (Lake City), no divorce, Ella didn't live and die in NY like I thought. Everything's coming along very well

alt: good 3rdthawkins.keep on pushing.

Spivey: Good Ingrid_Doweary. That is great news 3rdthawkins!

Ingrid_Doweary: My 1st cousin organized the 3-day event single handedly, while caring for her sick mother, handling her father funeral arrangements 2-months prior to the reunion and working.

vicky: wow ingrid!

Spivey: Wow. That's some dedication she showed on behalf of family Ingrid_Doweary!

3rdthawkins: thx......now I want to order every record I can of Charles and Ella, now that I understand a little bit about them. Research is tough when you have to dispel lies and your own speculations because of oral history

alt: you have a dynamic cousin Ingrid_Doweary

3rdthawkins: and great for you Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: She did a wonderful job. Many family pitched in to help pull it off. Yes she is dynamic.

alt: good you can get to the 'facts' 3rdthawkins

vkn: It all comes together in time 3rd. Hope you are pleased at the rate of progress. Best wishes and congratulations.

3rdthawkins: yep alt ;)

Spivey: Think of it this way, 3rdthawkins, dispelling those rumors leads you to great information.

3rdthawkins: thy vkn, as you and others (especially E.T. use to) say, patience

Ingrid_Doweary: I partnered with another cousin to make 2 genealogy presentations. They were successful and sparked plenty of interest.

3rdthawkins: yes it does Spivey

vicky: ditto to what vkn said 3rd did you use PP Ingrid?

Ingrid_Doweary: Of course we both did.

Spivey: So, your presentation was good Ingrid_Doweary? I am happy that it turned out well for you.

3rdthawkins: I had to get a kick in the pants from another source (person/researcher), I can get a little lazy at times and try to find the easy way out, but I'm glad I'm doing it the hard way. Very rewarding

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all. Hello 3rd, alt, Ingrid, Spivey, Ms. Vicky. Greetings VKN!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: AY, I understand a cousin of mine consulted you on Native American genealogy in Fort Wayne, IN about 5 yrs ago.

AYWalton: Is that right? who was your cousin?

vkn: Alt I note that you will frequently embed the prior message when you give a reply. Is that a feature you and others here would like to see? If so we can configure the text box to do just that. Just give me the word and it will be done. It might take a minute but its possible AYW!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: He was researching the Dawes and Freedman records.

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

Ingrid_Doweary: Jeffery Johnson out of Chicago, IL

AYWalton: I see. I don't remember him, but hope that I was able to assist him.

khathu: hello everyone

alt: I like to 'repeat' some of the key phrases to the question I'm responding to vkn... lots of folks don't take the time to go back and see what you are responding to.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes you were helpful. He remembered you by name because of your expertise.

vkn: Actually the default is to repeat the prior message

AYWalton: Glad I was able to assist him.

Ingrid_Doweary: Jeff and I are working on a project to collect family history from all of the reunion attendees.

3rdthawkins: great you have help Ingrid.....now only if I can get my grandmother's niece to get back on board and help

alt: that would be good in some case vkn.. not sure it would work for all responses.

Ingrid_Doweary: I hear that, 3rd.

vicky: I thought of you when they announced the upcoming Education Special on CNN Khathu

vkn: Well give it some thought and give me the word

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Free, how are you?

khathu: it is going vicky

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm good. Attended a productive family reunion.

3rdthawkins: or do you get to speak to your boss?

freeaainnc: got it done 3rd. turns out it was a miscommunication

3rdthawkins: oh ok, great!

alt: okay vkn.. will do on the posted responses

vicky: so the race portion of the issue was resolved free

freeaainnc: yes vicky, it was a misunderstanding. What she was saying is we cannot infer race, but of course if the book/record/document says they were black or "colored" or white, etc., then that is ok to put

vicky: oh ok!

freeaainnc: I still couldn't explain the 1870 census name change satisfactorily (to me), but I left if open so if she wants to know more, she can ask

alt: freeaainnc, the name was changed in 1870.. or was it changed from waht appeared in 1870?

freeaainnc: changed from how it was in 1870. they were Peaks 1880-1930, but Cameron in 1870

vicky: thats where more research is needed. perhaps it had to deal with slave owners if they were not fpoc

freeaainnc: right vicky! oh well, it's done and over with

alt: the name change.. is it for a male head of household, or a female head of household?

freeaainnc: head was always female

vicky: I have read several narratives where folks have changed there name back to the 1st owner after having more than one

alt: is marraige and divorce a possibility?

freeaainnc: not really alt always listed as single

vicky: all kind of variables huh alt

freeaainnc: right vicky

vicky: why do you say not really free

freeaainnc: i mean it's possible, but I don't know

alt: yeah, better to just present the record and let them figure it out

freeaainnc: right alt! :} it's possible vicky, but didn't seem too likely she was always listed as single, no marriage record, no cohabitation record, etc.

alt: that's one of the major problems in trying to help folks.. we get only a quick glimpse of the family from various records, they have more inside information and also probably have information they are not revealing when they ask for help.

freeaainnc: right

3rdthawkins: Can't Stand people who are like that :?

vkn: right alt and it behooves us to follow their lead at a safe distance

alt: wel, the tells us what they know and/or what they 'think' we need to know 3rdthawkins

freeaainnc: and I can't check the actual records in the archives (i could on my own time, but not for work), I am limited to what we have here in the library section - the indexes and abstracts

3rdthawkins: you're right alt

freeaainnc: I had 2 requests to answer today where both of them thought they could get the original records from the library. I guess for some states, the state library does have original records, but not here

alt: I'm into it now with a cousin who's great-grandfather and my great-grandmother were children of the same mother but, two different father's and he wants to argue against the records that they weren't half-siblings.

vkn: All of y'all on *Prodigy back in the day will recall that we would generally give the quester a task to complete and based on that task completion, offer help.

vicky: what relation does he think they are alt

alt: that's always a good tact vkn... full siblings vicky... he doesn't believe the lady had two husbands.. both Adams men,,, one a nephew of the other. I have copies of both marriage records for the lady and copies of the birth records for both of the people in question.

vicky: well remember Gates cousin

Spivey: alt could he perhaps believe their relationship falls within the 'definition' so to speak of full siblings?

alt: could be Spivey... if one thinks that because they had the same mother they are 'full" siblings. yet they had different fathers

3rdthawkins: well, sometimes I want to think that alt, but I guess I have to look at it how it is.......I feel like my brothers are my full siblings, but they are not guess because I grew up with them

Spivey: Sometimes I'm not sure of the definitions people use, alt. There is a common standard for genealogy, I believe, but it could be that he simply believes this without referencing the standard definition. I have met other researchers who give terms different meanings.

alt: I can understand your situation 3rdthawkins

vicky: lots of folks have the "same womb " outlook

freeaainnc: I just found out something slightly off topic I want to share

3rdthawkins: the brother and sister I didn't grow up with feel like half-siblings and I know they are

vkn: Well alt one might need to examine the issue outside the paternal box would you think? Is cousin only looking from the maternal box

3rdthawkins: that's a harsh situation our parents put us in

alt: in my mind .. makes no difference, but you can't deny the fact of two marriages and children by two differnt men .

freeaainnc: just got an alert from the paper. Do y'all remember me talking about Wake County NC school board doing away with busing and basically resegreating the schools here? There have been protests and arrests with the head of the local NAACP and now the school accreditation board is stepping in and reviewing Wake Co schools and possibly take away their accreditation!

3rdthawkins: Of course, when a person was married the spouse died and the person remarried, then, there's nothing you can do about that,

Spivey: Oh, that would be a harsh punishment for the students there, freeaainnc, and they are not the ones responsible.

freeaainnc: that is what I was thinking too! but maybe it would be the kick in the pants the school board needs to go back to how it was

alt: if you were to trace the DNA of the male children by this woman you would have two different paths to follow.

vkn: Free if accred is lost don'f the children lose?

Spivey: It isn't worth it, freeaainnc for the students to suffer any harm. Perhaps the NAACP can put forth a workable solution instead of letting that happen.

alt: and genealogically they come from two completely different paternal lines

3rdthawkins: that's true alt, genealogy wise, you would have to look at it the way it is..........kind of like trying to explain to my (half) brother that we (he and I) are cousins because our grandparents were. He couldn't understand how that would make us cousins

freeaainnc: I hope so Spivey, but now they have barred the NAACP from the grounds of the Wake Co. school board and arrest them if they even step foot onto the grounds - school board is no longer willing to work with them!

3rdthawkins: it was kind of joke, I couldn't get through to him, didn't have a sense of humor with that one

Spivey: 3rdthawkins does he use a relationship chart?

vkn: Please take a glance at the Confederate and children on the Books forum. It seems to be on a slippery slope

3rdthawkins: he doesn't do genealogy Spivey, I was just telling him the news of what I found out I try to keep my siblings from my dad's side up to date on what's going on what news I have found/discovered

alt: I saw that vkn and it is what Bennie has been talking about for 20 years... Neo-conservatism and confederate re-writing of the history of the south.

3rdthawkins: my other brother and my sister was seeing it the way I was, he just didn't see it

Spivey: Well it seems to me the NAACP is acting somewhat irresponsibly by not considering the adverse affects on the students freeaainnc. Not everything is to be sacrificed in a cause, and they would be hurting all students, black and white.

freeaainnc: how has the NAACP been acting irresponsibly?

alt: a reading of the secessionist papers of the confederate states will tell you all you need to know about the cause of the civil War.

Spivey: They caused the issue to erupt freeaainnc, and I have heard you say nothing about their position on the jurisdiction losing its accreditation or trying to prevent that from happening.

alt: pure ans simple SLAVERY!!!!

vkn: Thanx alt. Yall be good and i will see you tonight.

Spivey: About forty schools of thought on that, alt. 8) 8)

freeaainnc: Spivey - that whole thing with the accreditation just (as in this morning) started. They didn't cause the issue to erupt in my mind though, it would have erupted anyway b/c so many residents here are furious the school board basically wants to re-segregate the schools

vicky: I was thinking that eliminating the busing and resegregation would have been the issue IMHO

alt: No school to think about Spivey.. read the secessionist papers.

freeaainnc: right vicky

Spivey: Why do you consider them to be the one with THE answer alt?

alt: these are the papers written by the State governments as to why they left the union and what is to be the law in the confederate lands Spivey... they are 'scholarly' papers for legal papers to secede from the union.

Spivey: That is the issue no doubt vicky. It seems though that it is not really being addressed head on, but politics has reared its ugly head and the school board is now on the hot seat [where it belongs]. Has anyone tried to get their point of view and talk about loss of accreditation and how it will hurt the very public the board is sworn to protect? Okay alt. Then for you that is the answer as to the why of the Civil War.

freeaainnc: Spivey, as I said, the accreditation issue is a brand new issue

Spivey: Okay freeaainnc. Then, the following actions will establish whether indeed the board was trying to institute segregation all over again.

alt: right, the continuance of Slavery.. do you have other 'reasons'?

freeaainnc: true Spivey

Spivey: Nope. I am just acknowledging that other scholarly works have different motivations attributed as to the why alt. The organizers of the Confederacy have their views, but there are other interpretations.

vicky: free what is the name of the paper or the tv station there where you are

alt: I'm not talking 'scholarly' Spivey .. I'm talking the written word as to why we're leaving the Union.

freeaainnc: Raleigh News & Observer

vicky: 'thx

Spivey: Okay alt.

freeaainnc: no problems :)

alt: i'm outta here y'all laters

vicky: I think I will check in with your paper free from time to time to see the outcome

freeaainnc: ok Vicky :)

vicky: everything these days are "hot" topics

freeaainnc: yep!

vicky: I meant to ask ingrid_doweary, did you all have a Reunion Book?

freeaainnc: I don't think it was ever the intention of the board to resegregate the schools, they wanted to stop busing (to my knowledge) as a way to save money in this economy

vicky: I can understand that but in their thought processes they should have know the consequences. and debated on what may occur

freeaainnc: agree vicky!

vicky: ok free have a good one

Ingrid_Doweary: Only my Hughes Family Reunion had reunion book. That's something my Cummings, Linton and Doweary Families need to produce.

3rdthawkins: I was early too late

vicky: I would like to have a really nice one done for my Daviss family one of these days...mabe one that is bound

Ingrid_Doweary: My cousin Jeff and I are working on one for the Cummings Family.

Spivey: Me too, vicky, but I don't even know where to start.

vicky: me either Spivey...

Ingrid_Doweary: We'll start with a directory. My spouse's Doweary Family did a family biographical directory. Needs to be updated. Spivey you can start with compiling family group sheets. That is what my Hughes cousin began with.

Spivey: Of course, there is always s c r a pbooking we can do ourselves. I'm just afraid to start that because it might be more difficult especially since I don't know how to use Photoshop or similar programs.

Ingrid_Doweary: Take Vicky.

Spivey: Ut oh, do we have to leave?

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, my cousin jeff and I plan to follow up with each adult who attend the reunion.

3rdthawkins: :? forgot about that ok, catch you two tonite

Ingrid_Doweary: Tonite, 3rd.

Spivey: I have a few family group sheets done Ingrid. That's a good start. Thanks.

Ingrid_Doweary: It is a massive job, Spivey, but it's a valuable tool.

Spivey: My surviving aunts are in their mid 80s and I would sorely like to present them with something. We don't do family reunions, so they would be glad to see a tree.

Ingrid_Doweary: Perhaps you could do a tree and or provide them a copy of the census record of their immediate family or ancestors.

Spivey: I can give them the group sheets. I have those on their parents.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'll be sending a gift of a NARA genealogy guide as a prize to winners of an activity.

Spivey: I would love to find a software package that has a tree-shaped pattern to fill in, but have not been successful except for one I found for children.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'll be on the lookout for that kind of application.

Spivey: Oh, thanks Ingrid. I have been looking and looking. The thing is, each resource will show you the outline of a tree, but that is not available as such within the program itself. Sigh. Still, more and more resources are coming online, so I will keep trying.

Ingrid_Doweary: I understand that, Spivey.

Spivey: Glad your reunion was a success. Now you have the beginnings of a book for your Dowearys.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yep. Need to recruit some more folks from the Dowearys. I got 2 folks for the Cummings to help.

Spivey: I did try the bookmaking program on Ancestry, but couldn't get it to act right. Every time I tried to change something, it would shift the data all around.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah, sounds like you need database software to manage the information. The RootsMagic application, Alt recommended is working for me.

Spivey: I love the program that comes with PAF and I think I will try that today. See what happens. I already print out charts from it and I can include photos in those charts, an especially nice touch since neither aunt has any family photos to speak of. Or so they say! :)

Ingrid_Doweary: Sounds like progress!

Spivey: Yep. Except I don't have many photos, mostly are of the current generations, only a couple of my aunts' parents and siblings. But, I need to start thinking in terms of what I have is better than nothing and just go ahead and do it. .

Ingrid_Doweary: The cousin who coordinated this last reunion presented a DVD of family photos spanning 50 years or so.

Spivey: Wow!

Ingrid_Doweary: A group of cousins collaborated on the project and helped her develop the final project. She was sweet enough to provide me a copy.

Spivey: Oh great. I am still waiting for my cousin to give me a copy of our grandmother's portrait photo. Been waiting for about 10 years now. .

Ingrid_Doweary: Have you attempted to get copies from any other family members? Maybe their descendants or collateral kinfolk,

Spivey: Yep. Very un-cooperative. Neither side admits to owning any photos at all. In my case, my Mother's box of photos disappeared right after she died, and no one will admit to taking it.

Ingrid_Doweary: That is so sad. I wish you luck. You never know I interviewed about five family members during the reunion. My cousin interviewed at least 3 members

Spivey: We can't even seem to get together a reunion. One side doesn't speak to the other side and they all live in Millen, Georgia. That is sad. So, here I come along from New York City and try to get information and documents and am told I have nothing to do with them [the other side].

Ingrid_Doweary: That's how it is with my immediate family of the Armstrongs and the Scotts. So we celebrate with 1st and distant cousins. My husband's immediate family doesn't have that problem.

Spivey: The breach seems to extend to the later generations as well. I have two cousins who live not far from each other in Florida, and one doesn't welcome visits from the other one. Sheesh! The only one of my dozens of cousins who keeps in touch with all sides is the one who doesn't want to share anything. So, there you go! :( :(

Ingrid_Doweary: My father-in-law and his older brother were actively preserving and handing down the family history with attendees at the reunions. I was so impressed with that. Thought it was important to help continue that with their nephews and nieces.

Spivey: It is indeed. Sometime in the future, these children will want to know about their ancestors. As a matter of fact, my grandniece had to do a family tree as a school project.

Ingrid_Doweary: So what kind of impression did Roots and Roots the Next Generation have on these people?

Spivey: Well, I was not impressed with Roots. Seemed to be something missing there, although I think it makes good fiction. I never watched The Next Generation.

Ingrid_Doweary: I see. The last episode portrayed the research journey.

Spivey: I did, though, order copies when it was re-released and gave them to my niece and nephew. I don't know what happened to my copy. Probably left behind when I moved.

*TuesNite

Start: 21:02:28
End: 22:25:57
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, AYWalton, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, RCS, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vkn

Spivey: Good evening Selma! How are you this evening?

Selma: Good..and you?

Spivey: Fine thanks.

Selma: Sorry trying to read me email..been running around all day So how goes the research?

Spivey: No problem. I am quite happy at the moment. I am discovering some mistakes as I discover new information. That is a positive in my mind.

Selma: Yes it is..

Spivey: Go ahead and read. I'm fine just sitting here thinking. .

Selma: No I am finished...lots of junk mail

Spivey: Oh, even with a filter people learn how to get around being classified as Junk Mail or Spam.

Selma: Good evening Khathu

Spivey: Good evening Khathu!

Khathu: good evening Selma and Spivey

Spivey: Khathu is a small k in the day and a capital K at night. :) How are you Khathu?

Khathu: is that right i am doing okay

Spivey: You didn't notice that Khathu?

Khathu: no

Selma: Have you been working on the research project for your relative Khathu?

Khathu: i completed it

Spivey: Wow.

Selma: Wow...

Khathu: it was not detailed

Selma: OK

Khathu: just vital records on some family members

Spivey: You must have access to some excellent sources Khathu.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Khathu, Spivey, and Selma

Khathu: library of congress, national archives and records, D.A.R. library

Selma: The biggies

Khathu: as well as online databases

Spivey: Well, Ingrid_Doweary, now we know the chat room shuts down at 2P.M. I didn't know it's open at 11A.M. though. Oops, 11:30a.m.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah, now we know.

Spivey: I had pillows on my backside this time Ingrid_Doweary. Been wearing them in here ever since the first time we were kicked out!

Ingrid_Doweary: Got your buffers ready this time, eh? :}

Khathu: did anyone listen to the radio program on sunday

Selma: Missed it...on Grandma duty...I think AY listened

Spivey: What radio program Khathu?

Khathu: She also called in

Ingrid_Doweary: No, Khathu. What was the program?

Khathu: in fact she was the first caller it was some radio show that focused on AA genealogy on Sunday out of Chicago

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh wow. I was Amtrak traveling from St. Louis, MO to Chicago, IL

Khathu: Melvin Collier, Terry Ligon, Seventies Soulchild were all featured during the show

Spivey: How wonderful for them.

Ingrid_Doweary: Think it was recorded for playback, Khathu?

Khathu: i am not sure

Selma: Did they get good questions from folks calling in?

Spivey: Khathu do you think it aired here in the Northeast on some local radio stations? Where was it announced?

Khathu: Not really Selma I felt the show was all over the place

Selma: Think Seventies..talked about when she came into the chat...hadn't heard about it before

Khathu: Seventies informed me

Spivey: Good suggestion for the home page of AfriGeneas. Post upcoming events featuring AfriGeneas members.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hear hear, Spivey.

vkn: howdy all

Selma: I see that folks have been posting a lot of Neal info

Spivey: I was telling my niece about AfriGeneas today vkn and said the webmaster lived in Georgia. I couldn't remember where except you said you lived on a mountain. She asked if it's Stone Mountain?

vkn: See the announcement and events forum. Anyone can post

Spivey: Announcements and events forum? I missed that one vkn.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Vkn. I 1st saw it while on a Chicago layover, reading my email.

vkn: No it was Blackjack mountain in Cobb County. I now live off Camp Creek Parkway in Fulton County

Ingrid_Doweary: Got excited because I just left a family reunion presenting that information.

Selma: Folks are always able to post, when there are events coming up

Spivey: Are we talking about the Neal research or the appearances by members of AfriGeneas?

Ingrid_Doweary: Had to calm down to plot out my input.

Spivey: Okay vkn. My niece, my daughter, and now my nephew live in Lithonia.

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh, Vkn my cousin and I gave a shoutout for AfriGeneas in our presentations.

vkn: I recall that your fam is in Dekalb spivey

Spivey: Just the younger generation vkn. The older generation is in Millen, Georgia.

vkn: Yes Selma and all the Neal research is of high interest

Ingrid_Doweary: It certainly is.

vkn: I recall Millen Thankee Ingrid

Selma: I hope she prints it out...so she can sit and read and organize her thoughts and get a research plan.. and fill out a pedigree chart

Ingrid_Doweary: YW, Vkn.

Spivey: When you speak of the announcements and events vkn are you referring to the Neal research?

vkn: I agree Sekma No the Forum board by that name spivey

Spivey: Oh, so people can post their scheduled appearances there vkn?

vkn: Sure

AYWalton: Good evening all.

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay!

AYWalton: Hello Ingrid, khathu, Ms. Slema, Spivey, Greetings VKN!

vkn: I hope so also Selma. The 1930 for George Neal in Brevard FL is interesting at least the census page is. On first glance it is a mixed white-black household but a closer look rules that out

Spivey: Okay. Khathu was talking about the radio program that featured Seventies Soulchild, Melvin Collier, etc. I didn't know about the program so was wondering if the Home page of AfriGeneas could feature upcoming events. Now I know to look at that section vkn. Thanks for the heads up. We have our answer Ingrid_Doweary.

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, Spivey

AYWalton: I only knew about it when Melvin posted it on Facebook the day before. I told him about an hour before the show aired to Tweet it and put it on FB again, so those of us near our computers could tune in. He did and it was good timing.

Spivey: I guess they should be posting that information in the forum vkn mentioned.

vkn: Heyyyyy AYW Very good Spivey. I think 70's first announced in chat

Selma: Things can only be posted on the board Spivey, when we know about them Spivey

AYWalton: I have a little blank box outlined in read that I cannot seem to get rid of.

Spivey: Oh, I thought the members could post their own events Selma. My bad.

AYWalton: any idea what it is that I must have clicked on?

Selma: They can...folks do it all the time,

vkn: hmmmm from what browser AYW

Spivey: Okay Selma.

AYWalton: Ok now it's gone!

vkn: Did box vanish ayw

AYWalton: yes, it's gone.

Ingrid_Doweary: WB AY

vkn: oh okies

AYWalton: I saw it once before. thanks, Ingrid. I am using Google Chrome, VKN.

Ingrid_Doweary: Is that by choice, AY?

vkn: I think Sadonya is on her way to Knoxville as is B.J.

Spivey: Hi RCS!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey RCS

AYWalton: greetings, RCS!

RCS: good evening

AYWalton: I would loved to have been there, but I am off to Reno on Thursday morning.

Selma: Well Dru will be on our local PBS station on Friday at 9 PM..it will be available at their internet site "A Different View" by Monday

AYWalton: oh that's right! I look forward to seeing her.

Selma: You you got your quarters ready AY

vkn: AYW I also use Chrome but it has a mind of its own. I am using Opera now. It does not freeze as frequently as Safari

AYWalton: I still have my $2.50 I won last time! I don't know about Safari and Opera. Still can't get over seeing slots at the airport!

Ingrid_Doweary: Which airport, AY?

AYWalton: I was amused while doing some research for my presentation, I was looking at the black population of Reno NV in 1910.

vkn: and everywhere in Nevada ayw

Spivey: I have used Opera. It's not a bad little browser.

AYWalton: there were 62 black folks, and two of them were---how shall I say it----working girls! their place of employment was HOP and their occupation was----well I know you can guess. there it was on the census. I would never have thought. A mere 100 years ago today. And none of the black folks were in the city jail. I was fascinated by looking at those records. so I am winding up my Power Point presentations and tomorrow working on handouts, and will be on my way Thursday. I was surprised to find one of the families that I had researched---I actually found the people I was researching on Ancestry with PHOTOS!

Ingrid_Doweary: Good for you AY.

AYWalton: of the very same family I was documenting. One of their descendants had put them up on Ancestry.

Ingrid_Doweary: Exciting, eh?

AYWalton: yes, it was. I never look at data that other folks upload. I was doing a regular search and a photo popped up. the names were correct as were the children, and siblings.

vkn: How about that. Ancestry changes by the second

Selma: Were these folks in REno in 1910...from other states

AYWalton: ok back.

Spivey: Hi 3rdthawkins!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rd.

vkn: Rcs and 3rd howdy

AYWalton: Selma the family was back in 1910 in Lamar County Alabama. and there they were---Johnsons, no less. and I found 2 additional generations, with photos!.

Ingrid_Doweary: Congratulations, AY

vkn: Did you contact the researcher AYW

3rdthawkins: hello Spivey Ingrid_Doweary AYWalton vkn Selma rcs and Khathu

RCS: good evening

Khathu: Hello 3rd and RCS

AYWalton: yes I contacted the woman who posted the data. Still waiting to hear from her.

3rdthawkins: see you made a discover AY, congratulations

AYWalton: But I have made copies of the photos.

Ingrid_Doweary: Good job, AY!

AYWalton: I shall share with the descendants in Reno with contact information of the researcher who posted it.

3rdthawkins: it is amazing what you will find on Ancestry that others have done, when you start looking

AYWalton: and I am not one who ever looks at the researh that others post---I never want to incorporate other folks data---I want to make sure that I can follow the trail correctly myself. But seeing the photos----I studied her data and it matched mine. So the photos were a plus. And this was the first time that photos of a black family jumped out at me like that---plus several generations.

vkn: remarkable

3rdthawkins: that's cool hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: good evening everyone!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Seventies!

Selma: Evening seventies...radio star

AYWalton: Something was just on CNN that the HS graduation rate of black males is less than 50%.

RCS: I frequently search ancestry and rootsweb to check for prior research on lines of interest

AYWalton: hey there, SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: Selma

AYWalton: heard you on the radio on Sunday! you are really making the rounds!

Seventies Soulchild: I heard you too... you and Terry were great AYWalton

AYWalton: DC presentation, Chicago Radio---what next? Broadway?

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry i missed it, AY.

AYWalton: I was just a call in guest, SoulChile.

Selma: Yes, I heard that earlier...

Seventies Soulchild: no not yet! I'm still waiting for my dvd of the DC presentation.

AYWalton: How did you come to be a guest on the radio program, SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: Sharon asked me.

Selma: about the HS graduation rate

Seventies Soulchild: She lives about an hour from where I'm at.

vkn: Yes Selma, a tragedy

AYWalton: who does, SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: Sharon Morgan

AYWalton: I thought she lived in Chicago. She lives in NY?

vkn: That is the old SAM AYW

Seventies Soulchild: Although she is a traveler! :) No she was there to visit and for the parade, can't recall the name of it right now

AYWalton: yes, the same one, VKN.

Khathu: Hey Seventies

AYWalton: she was a co-host on the program.

Seventies Soulchild: hey Khathu

Khathu: what did you two think about the program?

AYWalton: what was the name of SAM130's old website, VKN?

Khathu: AYWalton and Seventies

Ingrid_Doweary: Bud Billigan Parade, Seventies?

AYWalton: I recall it.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes that's it Ingrid

AYWalton: the talk show, khathu?

Khathu: yes the talk show on sunday

vkn: Not remembering ayw

AYWalton: it went well from the listeners' perspective.

Seventies Soulchild: Well anytime we talk about African-American genealogy its a good thing

AYWalton: 2 hours and they flew by!

Ingrid_Doweary: Seventies, I have never been able to attend that parade, my entire life growing up in Chicago.'

AYWalton: didn't she used to have that comprehensive site with all of those neat links? we out to go to that parade one of these days.

vkn: Not remembering ayw "Our Black Ancestry" maybe?

Seventies Soulchild: wow Ingrid! It looks like great fun though. Saw it on WGN once

AYWalton: trying to remember.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah, I saw a glimpse of it on TV years ago.

AYWalton: I thought all the black folks knew the Bud Billiken parade. I heard about it as a child.

Seventies Soulchild: No I just found out about it a few years ago.

Ingrid_Doweary: I knew about it, but never had the opportunity to attend.

Selma: I never heard of it

AYWalton: it is a Chicago thing.

Selma: Was it in JET?...

Seventies Soulchild: Absolutely

AYWalton: but since my mother had cousins who lived in Chicago, and we used to occasionally get the Chicago Defender, I heard about it growing up.

Seventies Soulchild: Selma

Ingrid_Doweary: There have been photos of the parade in Jet in the past.

AYWalton: What was the pen pal column they had?

vkn: I was in the Biliken parade for 2 years 1943-44 representing The PORO school of beauty

AYWalton: oh that's so cute, vkn!

Selma: Jet..the true chronicle of the AA experience in America Were you on a float vkn..

Seventies Soulchild: I used to love the political news section

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow, Vkn! I'm interested in researching that coverage.

AYWalton: I recall Saundra Brown talking about it in the old days of the mailing list.

vkn: Indeed I was and with Joe Louis Barrow

Ingrid_Doweary: So Vkn, ab out how old is the Bud Billiken parade?

Selma: Giving the "royal wave"

Ingrid_Doweary:

vkn: older than I am Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh really?

Seventies Soulchild: Speaking of papers AYWalton, my cousin sent me an article about my great-great uncle Benjamin. It gave lots of good information.

vkn: and Ingrid older than 2 gun pete

Seventies Soulchild: http://thefamilygriot.blogspot.com/2010/08/dr-benjamin-emerson-washington.html

AYWalton: that's neat, SoulChile

3rdthawkins: Seventies Soulchild anything new on Scott Washington?

Seventies Soulchild: No, so I'm focusing on the children.

3rdthawkins: oh ok

Selma: Wonderful picture seventies

AYWalton: a nice looking man, SoulChile

Seventies Soulchild: Three left MS for Oklahoma, one for TN, one for AR, two for AL

Ingrid_Doweary: That is so neat, Seventies!

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks Selma.

Selma: Did he go to Meharry?

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks Ingrid

AYWalton: What was the name of the one who went to Arkansas?

Seventies Soulchild: Elijah Washington He and the family ended up in Little Rock, AR Yes Selma a Meharry grad

Ingrid_Doweary: YW.

RCS: good night all

Seventies Soulchild: I also have a photo of the sister Julia. I'm trying to get as much initial information as I can about the children Scott had with his wife

Ingrid_Doweary: That's a good plan.

AYWalton: so SoulChile, Sharon Morgan lives in NY?

Seventies Soulchild: I remember hearing some bits and pieces as a little girl...

Khathu: good night everyone

Seventies Soulchild: Yes

AYWalton: don't know why I thought she was in NY. So does Dr. Adams also live in NY? The show's host?

Seventies Soulchild: No in Chicago. She's the curator of the Dusable Museum. Sharon is out there visiting right now Dr. Adams is the curator

vkn: Sharon did live in Chi for a bit

Seventies Soulchild: oh yes she's from Chicago

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh really? Good to know. I did visit the DuSable Museum years ago when my daughters were little. Meaning my parents took the entire family-spouse, children and me in the early 1990s.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

AYWalton: well I had better run, folks. Gotta start packing for NV and work on my handouts to print off tomorrow. Have a great evening. thanks, everyone.

Seventies Soulchild: I have to get going too

Selma: Nite 70's

Seventies Soulchild: ... have a good night all

3rdthawkins: ok, gn Seventies, good seeing you again

Ingrid_Doweary: Nitre 70s.

vkn: Niters to all yall ; be good

Spivey: Good night vkn.

Ingrid_Doweary: Take care, Vkn.

Selma: Nite vkn

Spivey: Good night Seventies Soulchild.

Seventies Soulchild: Please check out my blog. More information is forthcoming

Spivey: For a while there, I thought I was in the LunchBunch chat.

Selma: Time for me to go too... Good nite...

Ingrid_Doweary: Good nite, Selma

Spivey: Well, I guess we have until 11? Or 10:30 at least.

3rdthawkins: trying to enjoy my new found information

Ingrid_Doweary: I guees. You enjoy, 3rd.

Spivey: Oops. Almost 10:30 now. Ingrid, I found a super place for us to continue any discussions. Erin introduced me to it.

Ingrid_Doweary: Sounds good, Spivey. I'll check it out.

Spivey: I am going there now if either of you care to join me. I am trying to find out more about the new Family Search pilot program.

Ingrid_Doweary: I think I'll join you. What do you say, 3rd.

3rdthawkins: I'm there already :)

Spivey: . Okay. On my way.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy