Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-04-26• Black Reconstruction

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:18:22
End: 12:59:29
Chatters: Selma, Seventies

Selma: Afternoon seventies..

Seventies: Hi Selma!

Selma: Looks like we are the only 2 today

Seventies: Yes indeed.. everyone is probably out enjoying themselves!

Selma: Must be.... I washed my car finally yesterday (or lets say I hosed it down)..the pollen was awful

Seventies: Is awful. My boys are already using the meds I bought them.

Selma: Right you must be at least 2 weeks behind us..

Seventies: exactly..

Selma: Almost had to hose down my grands after they finished playing outside..their jeans were yellow

Seventies: wow.. They would've loved it! lol

Selma: yes they would have..but I didn't..if it was warmer I might have

Seventies: What's going on new with you and genealogy/history?

Selma: seventies..right now I have a lot going in in my REAL life..so not too much time for research..

Seventies: lol Sometimes its like that.

Selma: Yes it is..

Seventies: I'm going to be e-mailing Bernice the copy of my talk on Mississippi records this weekend.

Selma: I do have something I have to post about contraband going to Haiti from VA and returning in a year I saw..I am very excited for you seventies

Seventies: oh really. That sounds interesting.

Selma: that is the 1863-1864 time frame.. You will find it interesting...

Seventies: From RG105? or the US records set?

Selma: Nope..will explain when I finally post.. LOL

Seventies: Aw shucks! lol

Selma: Hold on gonna find you a link to two articles that appeared in my local paper and NY Times about the event..so you have the background.. BRB..

Seventies: okay.. Was this posted on Bennie McRae's facebook site. he's been posting several articles from the NYTimes series on the Civil War.

Selma: Don't think so..Nadia Orton posted Times article.. What is your email address..

Seventies: familygriot@yahoo.com

Selma: I just sent you my draft of the email I am going to send out..as soon as I get some time It has the 2 links.. Maybe Bennie did post.. Think I need to friend him

Seventies: I thought you were friends with Bennie?

Selma: Heck maybe I am ..

Seventies: Or at least following his Civil War group.

Selma: We correspond..seventies ..its hard to keep up

Seventies: Selma, you know, maybe its just me but I have completely fallen in love with the Reconstruction Era of Black History. I have to agree. It can be information overload at times.

Selma: I fell in love after I heard Jimmy Walker speak..and I went and saw it myself and wept The whole time period is crucial to the work we have to do

Seventies: It seems as if a lot of my reasearch now falls into that category.

Selma: Most folks just jump from 1870 back into slavery and don't have a clue where they are or what they are looking for.

Seventies: Nope.. they don't. Sometimes its an uphill battle getting to 1870.

Selma: that is not to say that there is information being generated during that time frame for everyone..but folks need to take a look

Seventies: Local records are great...

Selma: Yes..they are..

Seventies: And there are so many of them...

Selma: and most of them are NOT online..at least not yet

Seventies: Now what is interesting to me in one of the counties I reasearch, they have the original copies of the county newspapers at the chancery court.

Selma: Is this one of the places that you will visit this summer..

Seventies: One of the two counties that has two seats. I haven't even been to the other county seat yet. Yes if the creek don't rise or the Mississippi river.. lol

Selma: LOL

Seventies: Wilkinson County, MS... I have a lot of work to do there as many family members migrated from that county to Adams County after the CW. As a matter of fact, on my FB page I uploaded several headstones from a church cemetery this morning. Many of those people I've seen on the Woodville, MS census records from 1870 - 1880

Selma: I will have to take a look

Seventies: Here's the link http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Family-Griot/234904386554328 Make sure that you like the page in order to get my updates. slip of the fingers?? lol

Selma: Oops I liked you and clicked my self out of the room

Seventies: lol That's all Internet Explorer that does that.

Selma: Did you take those pictures last summer

Seventies: No back in 2009 I'm almost scared to post this link to you.. lol Vicky's brother's obit is out.

Selma: no send to me.. Why did you laugh

Seventies: Laughing because I don't want you to get 'clicked' out again.. lol

Selma: Ok..

Seventies: http://www.hughescrownhill.com/book-of-memories/1563024/Daviss-Theodore/obituary.php

Selma: Handsome man

Seventies: Yes he was... this is the brother who was genetically linked to my grandfather.

Selma: Oh... are you all trying to figure out the how?

Seventies: No not really.

Selma: LOL

Seventies: Probably some deep deep connection back to the early colonial times that we'll never make. lol

Selma: It is interesting though

Seventies: It is.. I wouldn't have ever thunk it!

Selma: I thought only alt was the "six degrees of separation" person

Seventies: oh no... lol Do you know how many times I get asked if I'm related to Bob Lanier? lol

Selma: LOL Seventies..I have to run you have a great day

Seventies: You Too Selma

Selma: Go to the gym

Seventies: I will.. lol

Selma: and excercise for both of us

Seventies: I don't know if I can do that... lol

Selma: Bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy