Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-04-03 • Enslaved Family Connections

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:48:56
End: 13:10:15
Chatters: alt, daviss, HistoryBuff, Khathu, Selma, Seventies, vkn

vkn: What is with this Harlem Shake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwl-cyqpg4Y I just don't get it we should be able to see a small image in chat using the BBcode [] [/] but it has not yet worked for me. I think the image must be teeny weeny to work. Will play around with it after chat.

HistoryBuff: Hey Vkn. How are you?

vkn: Howdy HistoryBuff Glad to see you so bright and early

HistoryBuff: Yes, me too. Made preparations this time. Have you seen AYWalton lately? I've been missing her also.

vkn: I know daviss is having a time with the time change

HistoryBuff: I heard that about Daviss.

vkn: AYW is super busy with the MAGGI and not sure about alt or seventies

HistoryBuff: Oh okay. Always glad to hear about others accomplishments.

vkn: Indeed

HistoryBuff: I've been reviewing Kathleen Brandt's article about missing military records of ancestors. Trying to identify other leads for your MIllard Bell ancestor. Hey Selma

Selma: Good afternoon vkn and historybuff

vkn: Glad to get report on Millard Bell Howdy Selma

Selma: Who is Mallard Bell?

vkn: Just wondering if Alt and Seventies are on strike lol

HistoryBuff: Hey Seventies.

Seventies: Hello vkn, HistoryBuff and Selma..

HistoryBuff: Your ears must have been burning.

vkn: a maternal uncle of mine selma

Seventies: lol no not burning. lol and no not on strike.

vkn: lol lol lol @ Seventies Howdy Daviss and Alt

HistoryBuff: lol you arrived just in time Seventies. LOL LOL Hey Daviss. :)

Selma: vkn..just folks operating on CP time

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt. Glad to see you :)

alt: Hello Ladies, daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies, vkn

HistoryBuff: LoL No lone ranger eh? LOL

Selma: I know seventies..I am usually late.. LOL

Seventies: I went to the gym yesterday during chat.. sorry.

Selma: Only deannie and I last night...

HistoryBuff: It's good to be missed.

vkn: Well gym keeps you healthy seventies

Selma: Physical fitness is good seventies..

HistoryBuff: Indeed Selma. :)

Seventies: Ok what's new in the world of genealogy???

alt: PT is good Seventies, but git it togetha, not during Chat time LOL LOL

Seventies: lol lol I will keep that in mind Mr alt.. lol

Selma: She has to keep up with her kids alt.. LOL

HistoryBuff: lol

Seventies: No comment... lol

alt: those are 'orders from Headquarters' Seventies LOL

Seventies: vkn, thanks for the proquest link on newspapers for the month of April. y'all quit laughing at me.. lol lol lol

Selma: Is it only the NY Times...vkn?

HistoryBuff: Okay Seventies :)

Seventies: Hey Khathu

Khathu: Hello everyone

Selma: Afternoon Khathu

alt: hello Khathu

HistoryBuff: Hey Khathu!

vkn: Well I have breaking news. Found a Slater grandmother 1833-1915 as a child with mother and 3 sibs in Baldwin County GA in Ltr of Adm of one James F Slater YEAH!!!!!!!

Selma: Wow..that is breaking news

vkn: Khathu Howdy

Khathu: WOW!

daviss: Thats wonderful vkn, Congrats!!!

Seventies: great!

HistoryBuff: Congrats Vkn!

vkn: Thankee

HistoryBuff: YW

alt: competition for the genealogy researcher is getting to be great.... all kinds & types of materials/sites are becoming available for the researcher... guess thes are the 'best of times' for us genealogy folk.

Khathu: Congratulations!

alt: congrats vkn!!!!!!

Khathu: and the worst of time

vkn: Thanx Khathu Thanx Alt

Khathu: I have some major slave era research going on in Halifax and Warren Counties, NC

vkn: Wonderful Khathu

HistoryBuff: Indeed Alt. It's becoming a challenge to keep up with the resources.

alt: Khathu, you are using the Probate Records online for NC on FamilySearch, right?

HistoryBuff: Very nice Khathu.

Khathu: This slave holding family Thomas W. and Martha (Kearney) Harris were obtaining enslaved property from their parents and grand parents. Martha's father owned 178 enslaved individuals in 1830

vkn: Now that is a bunch 178

Selma: Everything you ever wanted to know or not know about the slave owning family and then some

alt: which county are they (Harris) in Khathu .. Halifax or Warren?

Khathu: Harriss are from Halifax and the kearney are from Warren Martha's father did not died until 1869

alt: Okay, I'll look for Harris.. is that in Palmyra Twp.,? they may be neighbor's to my some of my NC slaveholding families.

Selma: Anything in RG105 for those 2 counties khahtu?

Khathu: Based on my preliminary research it appears that my ancestors (Millie and her children) were owned by Thomas W and Martha brought into the family through the wife Martha

alt: for Selma's benefit .... I have some old Heritage Books maps of Halifax & Edgecombe Counties with county & townships w/landowners from the 1850's.

Khathu: @Selma I haven't been able to locate any records on my Harriss ancestor prior to 1871. Unfortunately, Halifax Co., does not have a lot of records. To make space in the clerk office the county clerk threw away alot of records.

vkn: wow

Selma: Oh good grief..

vkn: what a shame

Khathu: He transcribed what he throught was important

vkn: bird brain

alt: would they be considered "dower slaves'? J. Mark Lowe is goning to speak on that subject this week on Bernice's show ... I think that is this week?

Khathu: it is definitely a tragedy. @alt they would be if they were brought in through the wife. so I need to try and locate a marriage agreement between the Harriss and Kearney

alt: so these came into the family thru Marhtha, right?

Khathu: Good thing Martha's father William Kinchen Kearney's papers are housed at Duke University

Seventies: Great!

Khathu: they could have come into the family that way, i am still trying to confirm

Selma: So when are you going to Duke?

alt: good looking out Khathu. universities are a great source for family papers. I found some papers at East Carolina Univ. on some Edgecombe Co. folks.

Khathu: I am not sure yet. I still need to determine how my ancestors came to be owned by the Harriss. If it is through the Kearney marriage then I will be heading out to Duke the week of April 21, 2013

Selma: A man with a plan.. LOL

alt: sounds like it Selma

Khathu: His papers includes transactions of purchases and sales of enslaved individuals, marriages, births, and other issues related to enslavement.

daviss: wb HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: Thank you. I got kicked out somehow.

Khathu: It would be sooner but I will be in Californian for two weeks

alt: a traveling man :)

daviss: vkn did you answer Selma's question about the ProQuest newspaper link?

Khathu: Selma - I initially wanted to go down this week but several individuals convince me to wait

vkn: Is RAOGK still active

Khathu: @ vkn - what was the name of your slater great grandmother

alt: Khathu, your book will be a welcome addition and update to Mary J. Fears "Slave Research, it's Something Else"..... a look at Slave Research almost 20 years later.

vkn: Allegra SLATER, Khathu

Khathu: was that a new discovery?

vkn: Daviss I did not see/hear quest of Selma

daviss: I had heard that RAOGK was restructuring after the death of the lady but not sure if someone else took it over yet vkn

Khathu: @ alt - I want it to be a book of case studies highlighting slave era research in every southern state

HistoryBuff: Very nice strategy Khathu- case studies.

alt: if I remember correctly that was the basis for her book Khathu ... case studies in her family research.

vkn: Brand new find Khathu and coincidental. I was helping a friend with editing and lo and behold,,,,, This was a week ago

daviss: Selma was asking if the newspapers were only the NY Times

Selma: Thank you daviss..forgot what I asked

Khathu: Well that is a wonderful find. It is always good when you are able to discover a new generation. Congratulations again vkn!

vkn: lol not sure daviss. Have not fully explored

daviss: :)

vkn: Thankee Thankee Khathu

Khathu: @ alt some of the case studies will be drawn from my family and others will not

alt: okay Khathu

Khathu: I haven't done any research in DE, MD, KY, TN, MO, or MS OK or AR

alt: with all that is becoming available I'm not finding "new" folks, but rather 'new' and more in depth information on folks I already know about.

vkn: Interesting post from Cynthia Seventies with one positive response re starting group in Mississippi

alt: additional marriges, occupations, education, activism, etc.

Seventies: I hadn't seen that one vkn

daviss: you go ahead Seventies

HistoryBuff: The additional infestation are good finds as well.

Seventies: Well I hope all the best for Cynthia.

vkn: It is a good time for harvesting data at all levels

Seventies: It sure is. :)

daviss: Is she starting a Ms Group

HistoryBuff: Yes I have mounds of data harvesting to perform.

vkn: Just has a query up as far as I can tell daviss

daviss: ok

Seventies: There are lots of AA historical societies in various MS counties. Maybe she can reach out to the county she is researching in.

daviss: mabe the quest is more like a hands on group networking etc

Selma: Maybe she should reach out to the ones that exist..even if it is not her county of research

alt: and there is even the possibility of joining other AA gen societies that have State "study circles", including MS for other researchers with a particular State focus.

vkn: I think of Linda Rudd ? Jari AYW Ser Boxley and the Chicago Study groups among others for MS and of course Seventies and LFM

alt: I'm thinking if deannie and Chicago in particular , they have a very active MS study group.

Seventies: Yep. I'm sure that they do.

vkn: Cannot think of head of MS study group

Seventies: that's the group deannie belongs to.

Selma: Don't they make trips to MS..

Seventies: She said that they made a trip last fall.

alt: yep, they sure do Selma.. had a 'big' one last year.

Khathu: Have a great day everyone. I need to prepare for this webinar at 1:00pm

Seventies: byeeeee lol

Selma: Time for me to run too folks..have a great day

Seventies: what the??? lol

vkn: Cannot recall name of primary mover and shaker of Chicago MS group

alt: daviss, any DNA news?

daviss: folks running before I can type a cya lol

alt: is it Janis Forte vkn?

daviss: no alt, nothing so far

Seventies: Sounds about right... speaking of dna, I need to check my 23 and me account sometime today.

vkn: I know Janis but was thinking of another...

alt: okay vkn

daviss: Is it those twins vkn

Seventies: The Forts... lol Jeff Fort was a 'notorious' gang leader in Chicago during the 1960's.

vkn: It will hit tomorrow daviss lol

daviss: tyler had those last night Seventies lol lol

Seventies: lol daviss

alt: I'm now over 600 Rf matches on 23andme Seventies, a couple of "strange" new ones.

vkn: It will hit tomorrow daviss and alt Ahhhhhhhhh Betty Craft

alt: you bet vkn not familiar with her vkn

daviss: oh vkn tomorrow came early

vkn: lol

alt: hehehehehe @ daviss

daviss: heeheheheee

Seventies: alt, I just have a couple hundred +/- 50...

vkn: Y'all be good

Seventies: you too vkn alt how deep are you going into your matches?? 5th, 6th cousins?

daviss: you should have new ones since they drop on Tuesdays

Seventies: ok daviss.

daviss: what about you HistoryBuff how many do you have?

alt: Seventies, a new connection, one tha folk don't think of..... the granddaughter of a 3rd cousin (male) and now her family connects to me thru him, but I know of her grandmothers ancestors from the 1840-1850's and there was no connection to my family lines.

Seventies: ok

alt: she tried to 'hook' to me thru her grandmother's families.... and there was no connection.

Seventies: I am still awaiting responses to introductions I sent out back in March... very close kin too 3rd cousins. People back then kept some secrets... lol

daviss: I went through and cancelled about twenty Intros for lack of response

alt: that was a new twist for me.... connecting families thru marriages and offspring of folks younger than me.

HistoryBuff: Sorry Daviss. In answer to you question, I saw about 5 hits but I haven't investigated yet.

daviss: HB are you with 23&Me?

alt: this was no secret Seventies, just two families connecting to me thru grandchildren and not grandparents.

Seventies: oh okay.

HistoryBuff: Yes I am. Trying to convince my father to join.

Seventies: I had wondered about that alt. Like WHERE does the connect come in with genealogy...

alt: think I'll ask about that situation on the DNA fB page.

daviss: I have been trying to download my x's Y to the Y-search site but it has been down for a while. I keep getting a 500 error not sure what that means

alt: her grandfather is my 2nd cousin.

Seventies: Nice. . .

alt: but she only knew her maternal ancestral lines and thoguth we connected as 3rd cousins thru them... not the case, it is thru her grandfather's paternal line that we connect.

Seventies: So if I have any questions about this, I will definitely message you on Facebook, alt.

alt: okay Seventies

Seventies: It shows why collateral research is IMPORTANT... :)

alt: exactly!!!!!!

HistoryBuff: I concur.

alt: well, my turn to skedaddle .. laters y'all

daviss: cya alt! whew

Seventies: alright I have to go. I have work to do. See y'all on facebook :}

daviss: bye bye HB

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy