Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2013-03-08 • DNA is a mystery

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:24
End: 13:04:02
Chatters: 'Daviss, alt, daviss, HistoryBuff, jhonora, Selma, Seventies, vkn

vkn: Good Friday Seventies

Seventies: hello vkn...its more like snow storm Friday! lol

vkn: http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics/african-american-earliest-man-130307.htm

Seventies: Hello Selma

Selma: Good afternoon seventies and vkn You have snow seventies?

vkn: Howdy Selma and Daviss

Selma: Afternoon Daviss

Seventies: Hi 'Daviss Great news....

'Daviss: hmmmm hello there Selma, Seventies and vkn

vkn: Did y'all see the dna news

Seventies: now, who are the Mbo?

vkn: http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics/african-american-earliest-man-130307.htm

'Daviss: what dna news

Selma: Don't have a clue seventies

'Daviss: oh no, I had not seen that vkn

vkn: 338 thou Black dna living in SC

'Daviss: hello alt

alt: wow, y'all gotta seat for me? LOL

Selma: Afternoon alt

vkn: Good morning alt what does it all mean http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics/african-american-earliest-man-130307.htm

alt: Hello 'Daviss, Selma, Seventies & vkn

Seventies: That means this man's DNA came from a man who lived in Cameroon 338,000 years ago.. lol Nothing to do with nationality...

alt: that's too deep for me vkn

vkn: Okies alt and seventies

alt: question I have .... was there a "Cameroon" 338.000 years ago?

Seventies: There was a Mbo long before there was an African-American... that's for sure. Context is everything.

alt: another question.. was there at tribe/clan called Mbo 338,000 years ago?

Seventies: Yep.

vkn: announcing a major acquistion to include small town papers to its historical news database

alt: really????

Seventies: Yep

Selma: Great news vkn

alt: gonna soon rival 'chronicling america' with the volume of online newspapers????

vkn: How did the BTR with AYW go last night? I slept through it all

Selma: very well vkn..except I kept losing my sound..I don't know why

'Daviss: hopefully the papers will go beyond the 1920's

alt: I listened this morning... nice conversation, wide ranging, heard Selma's name being dropped LOL

Selma: Thats the info I sent AY..anytime I see Arkansas I send to her. I think I sent you all too...

vkn: What means "A mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1 (HVR1) match has been found between kit 213543, and another person(s) in the Family Tree DNA database.

Selma: Lots of folks landed up in other states immediatley after the war on Labor Contracts

alt: yes, I remember Selma... good example of labor contracts and the wide reach of the Freedman's Bureau.

Selma: So when you find them in 1870..don't mean that were there before the War

vkn: Help me anybody

Selma: Help you how vkn?

vkn: A mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1 (HVR1) match has been found between kit 213543, and another person(s) in the Family Tree DNA database.

alt: or the slave owner took them from an eastern State.. good examples Selma

Selma: That is alt's area of expertise vkn

alt: oh, oh... y'all want me to show my ignorance LOL LOL

vkn: I need to get the DNA Dummy series

'Daviss: It just means that someone matches him vkn..You will probably get a msg on that same person on the HVR2

vkn: Duh

Selma: LOL

'Daviss: its regional

vkn: Why is your name changed 'Daviss

'Daviss: His haplogroup and hers just match in that region vkn

vkn: ahhhhhh okies effen you say so

'Daviss: mistake vkn but don't want to take chance on logging out and not being able to come back in

alt: HVR1= hyper variable region 1... really only means same haplogroup, but it could be significant vkn.... you won't know until you follow up.

'Daviss: I was down all day yesterday

Selma: When you say region..exactly what do you mean a geographic region..here in USA or in the mother land

vkn: Followup with the matching person

'Daviss: depends, it could be several

alt: in this case Selma, I think "region' refers to an area of DNA materials tested. not necessarily a geographical region

vkn: aaahhh "sound and fury" Selma lol

Selma: What do you mean by "ahhh"...do you understand what alt is talking about.. LOL

alt: and this can be confusing because haplogroups are "geographical' in their populations.

'Daviss: I have many matches in both HVR's .....all mine are geographical alt that I have seen so far. example 1 or 2 in cuba, mabe 10 out 0f 120 in Gr Britian etc

vkn: Not at all Selma. I said 'sound and fury' = nothing lol

Selma: Keep explaining alt..we will get it at some point.. lOL

alt: that's where the matches are currently "living" 'Daviss, may not be where the haplogroup originated.

vkn: There you go alt and Daviss showing off yo smarts lol

Selma: Smarty pants ... both of them

'Daviss: friend of mine Celcelia we match on both HVR 1 and 2 but no match in dna

vkn: indeed

'Daviss: not even on the x

vkn: Y'all talking in expletives lol

alt: no match on "autosomal DNA" 'Daviss .. you & Cecelia

'Daviss: nope we were hoping {sigh}

vkn: (sigh) is on target

'Daviss: both of us texas, and really not that far in the areas but no match no match with her with siblings or my 1st cousins

alt: vkn, FTDNA has a "problem" in that their African ancestored databse is relativlely small, but that can be a good problem if your haplofroups are of African origin.

vkn: i see

alt: and most AA FTDNA customers have only done Y & mtDNA testing... it is the autosomal, or admixture test such as Family Finder where one really needs to follow up on those matches.

vkn: Alt there are still no Y findings

alt: not to be alarmed with that vkn, again it may be due to the small number of AA men who have tested with FTDNA.

vkn: okies gotcha

'Daviss: I uploaded my brothers and x hubbys over on y-search all 33 y33 not sure I need to go any higher

alt: 'Daviss, those are the allele values for the 33-37 markers tested?

'Daviss: yes

vkn: Not as far as I am concerned lol

'Daviss: hmmmm it may be 37 instead of 33

alt: going further is a "mixed bag" to me ex. I have like 1,200 matches at 12 Markers, 500+ at 25 markers, 70+ at 37 markers & 4 at 67 markers on the FTNA Y-DNA testing.... so I would really only want to follow up on the 67 amrker matches.... they would have a 90% chance of a common ancestor within 4 generations.

jhonora: Hello Daviss, alt, Selma, vkn!!

vkn: Howdy Jhonora wassup

alt: hello jhonora, good to see ya, why ain't you in school? LOL LOL

'Daviss: lots of names came up for my cousin on the 37.. so how close would they be alt

Selma: Afternoon jhonora

'Daviss: cousin who is R1b has the most matches

jhonora: I don't generally have classes during this time, but have been busy alt lol

'Daviss: hello Jhonora

alt: I think the 'grid' say something like 50% chance of a match within maybe 6-7 generations back 'Daviss

'Daviss: ok

alt: not match, bad term.... but rather a "common ancestor" cause you already "match" on a goodly number of markers at the 37 marker level.

jhonora: I have a question - the DNA infor goes right over my head - can DNA testing confirm kinship for descendants of a brother and those of his sister?

vkn: My head and shoulders aussi jhonora

alt: autosomal DNA is the way to go for those types of relationships jhonora .... Y & mtDNA are for sure matches when siblings have the same parents.

Selma: So nice you came in twice aviss

jhonora: Thanks alt, that helps a great deal.

Selma: Afternoon History buff

HistoryBuff: Hey all

vkn: Howdy History. Glad 2 see ya

daviss: dang whats with me

alt: a very good overview for beginning DNA is found at www.issog.com Hi HistoryBuff, how are ya?

Selma: Good grief daviss..you might have to change your name completely

vkn: Good Grief Daviss

daviss: skerd!! lol I dont remember signing out

alt: I was surfing Find A Grave this morning.... scary stuff put out there 10 years ago.

vkn: How scary alt

alt: by people on some of my ancestors & I don't even know of these people

Selma: Folks..have to run.. have a great day

alt: one cemetery has placed all of their index cards for internment on Find A Grave... something like 15,000 internments.

vkn: hmmm alt you will need to check with PF lol

jhonora: That ts very helpful, because Find a Grave shows up through a google search

alt: you bet jhonora, I found birth, death & burail dates for relatives I have been looking for over a period of years and had no previous luck on them

jhonora: It has been very helpful for relatives who moved up North, I don't find that they have many Southern graveyards

alt: is that right jhonora

jhonora: I know that in Houston they have captured just about every graveyard possible, which is incredible. But in places like La. and Ms., the surface hasn't been scratched

vkn: jhonora I understad that an old book of 20 somr previously narratives have been found

jhonora: Really, from what state?

vkn: jhonora I understand that an old book of 20 some previously unknown narratives have been found unknown LA

jhonora: Thats's interesting, I didn't see that in the news

vkn: and they are to be published by Genealogical Publishing Not External news as yet Will send you an email

jhonora: Thanks

vkn: laters

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy