Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-07-27

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:10:19
End: 13:41:43
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, freeaainnc, khathu, Professordru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicky, vkn

khathu: i just do the basic i.e. whatever i can find online to get them started

vicky: all of my "askers" dont have a computer or too old to get out of the house lol nada alt, khathu and I were just saying how people are asking to do research

alt: you shouldn't be so good at it khathu LOL

khathu: lol

vicky: lol I told him that all of my "askers" dont have a computer or too old to get out of the house¬� ¬�

alt: yep vicky, folks and their asking can be a 'pain in the patootie' LOL

khathu: one person wanted to locate information on his great grandfather sibling the ancestor in question was born in 1825 - Thomas Kyle so clearly that was a lost cause

alt: ain't that sumpin Khathu?

khathu: but i did locate some interesting stuff on him. according to the 1870 censue his net worth was $1600

vicky: lotta dough then

khathu: in Cherokee County, Texas $1200 in real estate and $400 in personal estate

alt: property & personal, or just property okay khathu, you beat me to it so now the question becomes How & when on the property, huh?

khathu: and i will leave that to the descendants to answer that question

alt: Ihear ya

khathu: i just do the basic

vicky: you will point them in that direction khathu mabe then they will get the "bug" so to speak

khathu: i suggested wihich records they should examine to obtain further information

alt: I'mhaving an information overload, ther eis just too much to find anymore that it keeps me going in circles. LOL

khathu: i was looking at all the pictures i have gathered over the years and there are just two pictures i would love to obtain if they exist

vicky: oh khathu, I have not see the Luckey girl since that day I told you that I talked to her. She must be coming and dropping off her grands before I get there with mine

khathu: and they are pictures of my great grandfather R. Matthew Stanley and a gg grandmother Annie Littlejohn

alt: and those are photos of who/what khathu beat me again LOL

khathu: lol

vicky: lol are they the ones in Smith County khathu

khathu: Littlejohn is from Smith County and Stanley is from Cass County unfortunately i do not think pictures of them exist

alt: did the Littlejohn origniate out of SC khathu?

khathu: my great grandfather died in 1932 the 9 months after my grandmother was born Annie married a Littlejohn

vicky: There are so many pictures of my loved ones that would love to have.The first being my grgrandmother Frances Dickerson Taylor

alt: me too vicky.. just so many I would love to have photos of.

Selma: Good Afternoon alt, Khathu and vicky

khathu: i would be satisfied if i could obtain pictures of those two individuals

alt: Hello Selma how goes it today?

vicky: I was told that the house burned down

khathu: Hello Selma

Selma: It goes good alt... LOL

vicky: hello Selma

Selma: The temperature is down.. lOL

khathu: My gg grandmother died in 1965 so one would think that there would be a picture somewhere

vicky: is Stanley her father

alt: one photo that got away I would love to hae... my grandfather in his WW I uniform, with my grandmother seated beside him with my mother in hiher lap, photo taken around 1918-1919.

vicky: oh yeah alt that would be a real coup

Selma: Does another family member have it alt

alt: they did Selma and some how it got 'lost' :(

Selma: :( :(

alt: it hing on a wall in my greataunts living room for years and it got lost when she passed away. in one of those big pretty oval frames.

Selma: So it was probably pretty large and framed..for it to just get "lost" I knew it Ummmm

alt: that's wha I say hmmmm LOL Selma, I''m going to order the book you referred to in your post looks like it contains some 'good ' information

Selma: I gives a great overview of what was going on specifically at Fort Monroe..and more generally.. I am going to post some of the info that is on microfilm on the ration Lists that are at microfilm

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon Lunch Bunch!

alt: 'Write Away posted a nice interview she did with David Paterson on the Write Away Forum.

Selma: Well, well afternoon seventies...been on vacation?

alt: Hello stranger Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: lol yes. On vacation now

Selma: I know I have to read that alt

khathu: Hello Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Hello alt, khathu, Selma and vicky

Selma: Well I hope you are enjoying yourself seventies

vicky: I am thinking about ordering that one also Selma but torn between that one and the one about the KSC school

Seventies Soulchild: what's new??

alt: Spivey should read it...the Write Away interview

vicky: heyyyy 7

Selma: Wow..that was quick..

vicky: lol

Seventies Soulchild: got the boot. . .

Selma: Welcome back

alt: it mentioned the surname Spivey & a GA county.

vicky: WB Seventies

Selma: Figured you were relaxing..and hit the wrong key seventies

khathu: welcome back

Seventies Soulchild: thankee

alt: forgot how to fasten your seatbelt Seventies Soulchild LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol yep

vicky: oh really alt, I have not been to read that post yet

Seventies Soulchild: talked to Jay this week... she's doing well.

alt: Jay , like in Jennifer?

vicky: where has she been seventies

Selma: Going any where seventies

khathu: have a good day everyone

Seventies Soulchild: She's taking a break from genealogy. Her laptop is in for repair.

vicky: oh ok

Seventies Soulchild: yes Jennifer

alt: how do you take a break.. Iguess with a computer breakdown, huh?

vicky: lol lol @alt

alt: at least an online break

Seventies Soulchild: Actually today Selma, I'm doing a little research. My boys are at the arcade LOL yep... alt

vicky: where are you seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I'm at a waterpark Coco Keys... the hotel & the park are all inside one big complex... lovin' it!

Selma: Wow...lucky you..sounds like fun

vicky: is that in NY?

Seventies Soulchild: The one I'm at is in CT

Selma: I am sure the kids are loving it..we have an indoor Water Park here to Great Wolf Lodge

Seventies Soulchild: They went there when they were 6 and they loved it

vicky: indoor water park wow thats what we need here

Seventies Soulchild: My aunt has a time share in the Poconos and let us use it one year I don't want to get y'all off topic.

Selma: Hey we can talk about vacations from the past

Seventies Soulchild: :)

vicky: lol I hear ya'

Seventies Soulchild: This is one of the best vacations we've had in a while. Of course my kids love going to MS and riding horses and 4 wheelers out in the country LOL

Selma: Actually I am surprised there is no Indoor Water Park where you are vicky

Seventies Soulchild: I had been thinking about getting them horseback riding lessons western style so they can ride on their own next year.

vicky: yes it gets so hot here selma but if you think about it folks here sometimes wear shorts year round

Seventies Soulchild: That would be great if you all could get a Great Wolf Lodge there...

vicky: especially the snow birds that come here for the winter

Selma: Great Wolf Lodge runs specials for local folks in their slow time...reduce price of the Rooms... Afternoon Dru

Seventies Soulchild: Hello porfessordru

Professordru: howdy all

Seventies Soulchild: lol ah close enough...

alt: hello Professordru

vicky: hello pro dru that would be a great investment for someone who had the money

Selma: Busch Gardens must be slow this year too..cause if an adult buys a day ticket kids get in free kid..

Seventies Soulchild: Here we got the rooms, free passes for the time we're here and free meals for kids under 12

Selma: and if you live in VA...you can get a Pass to come all season for the price of a ticket

Seventies Soulchild: Times are rough

Selma: You can't beat that seventies..great deal

Seventies Soulchild: Yep at $103 a night.

alt: yep, as bleak as things are, it is a good time for bargins if yo have the money to take advanyage of them.

Seventies Soulchild: Agree I'm also racking up frequent flyer miles on my new CC My son says he wants to take a trip to Giza! :)

vicky: slaping my hand on a CC

Selma: Whats up Professor Dru?

vicky: mt'ing oh, I got a call from a cousin last night who informed me that her mother told her that my father had married besides the ones we knew about She stated that she had met her and this lady was about 7 months pregnant so there may be another living child

Selma: How many times did you know him to be married?

vicky: she could not remember the girls name but that her father was in some capacity at PraireView College in Waller County three times

Selma: So now it is possibly 4

vicky: I just met my of my brothers when I went to Atlanta last week

Professordru: I was just choking on a corn chip. I'm okay now. OK

vicky: yes Selma. It kind of through me for a loop but it was a good loop lol

Selma: Glad to hear you are OK

Professordru: gotta go now.

vicky: good professor dru.. oops good she is ok

alt: vicky, I found out about a marrige my father had that I wasn't aware of when I looked at the the marriage record for what I thought was his 'first' wife.

vicky: I spent well up into the night on Ancestry looking for dads name in the Tx births I just dont understand all thos secret #@$@

Seventies Soulchild: Oh wow... any siblings alt?

vicky: were there children alt

alt: my father died when I was 11 so his past liefe was all foriegn to me until I stared doing his family genealogy.

vicky: I see

Selma: BRB

vicky: I met my fathers 2nd wife in Atlanta also

Seventies Soulchild: wow your dad was married a couple times vicky?

vicky: seems like four Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: WOW!

alt: not by his 1st or 2nd wife, but he had a child before his 1st marriage when he impreganted a young lady... they were both 14 y/o can you belive that.

Seventies Soulchild: yes.

vicky: yes alt even back in tha day

Seventies Soulchild: kids are curious . . . :) I haven't really researched this, but my mom says that my ggrandfather Will was married before he married my ggrandmother Alice

vkn: Howdy yall

vicky: so does that mean the older we get and we revert back to childhood we get curious lol lol

alt: my 1/2 brother was born in 1908... I didn't arrive until 1934, so there was a lot of living between those two year by my father that I had no idea of .

Seventies Soulchild: Which makes sense because he was 30 when he married my ggrandmother.

alt: hello vkn

vicky: hello there vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hello vkn Alt your brother is old enough to be your father! wow!

vicky: did you get to meet him alt, your 1/2

vkn: I need yalls help to decide new text logo. Will bring to chat tonight

Seventies Soulchild: It happens though...

vicky: ok vkn

alt: yep Seventies Soulchild, I met him at my father's funeral wehn I was 11 y/o.. met his sons who was my age at that time.

vkn: Beeen missing you seventies

Seventies Soulchild: aww thanks vkn

vkn: Trying to learn to tweet lol

Seventies Soulchild: Hello freeaainnc

vicky: in and out

alt: just saw his younger son (my nephew) last week at a reunion in Indiana.

vkn: Alt I have some exciting news for what the future of genealogy hold

vicky: hello freeaainnc

freeaainnc: kicked myself out! LOL

alt: Hello vkn

Seventies Soulchild: lol me too

alt: hare vkn?

freeaainnc: hello all )

alt: care to share vkn?

vkn: but not in our lifetime The term is geo referenced data alt

alt: technology be's too much for me vkn... I'm hanging in the 'slow' lane LOL

vicky: me too alt

vkn: You can add world in front of wide free

alt: interesting tho'... some of my closest DNA matches are in australia... maybe one day LOL

freeaainnc: I have a question - how do you prove a marriage (about 1803) when no marriage bond exists and you don't know the religion/church?

alt: you probably 'don't' prove it freeaainnc

vkn: HEYYY SELMA

freeaainnc: well, to prove it well enough for a society like DAR I know she'll have to do it in a roundabout way, but everything I think of is leading nowhere

Selma: Free I transcribed the births from Alston..think I found one of the people in 1870

freeaainnc: Selma great! that is cool

alt: you have descendants from that 'union' freeaainnc ?

freeaainnc: not me trying to help another researcher here

alt: no, not you, but who ever is looking for the connection freeaainnc

freeaainnc: she hasn't listed them so I mean I'm sure she does, but I don't know who

Selma: Is it possible that these folks could be identified in a will or deed or some document that identies them as wife or or husband of ... free

alt: my thought too Selma

freeaainnc: Selma that is my thought too

Seventies Soulchild: okay everyone, I'm heading back to my vacation now... lol I'll try to get on later tonight once the kids are out 'socializing' :)

freeaainnc: bye SS

Selma: I see that in the VGS and NGS journal.. Indirect documentaiton

freeaainnc: right, exactly the county where they probably got married has no surviving marriage bonds

vkn: There is lots of indirect in Black research

alt: vkn, an Embry cousin posted a website that has online 'colored marriages' for Talladega Co., AL.

Selma: Do they have wills or deeds.. Court cases..folks are always in court

vkn: link please alt

freeaainnc: I've seen mention of deeds, but they don't mention either the husband or wife, but they may in TN

alt: looking for it now vkn

Selma: Man dies..no Will ... she receives her dower 1/3 share

freeaainnc: she died first and that is part of the problem too

Selma: Her parents die live her something...she is identified in their will

vkn: thanx alt. Talladega is not a burned county so that link will be excellent to have

Selma: She's dead, they identify her children as heirs...etc...

freeaainnc: right, by her married name, but that doesn't necessarily "prove" who she married other than the last name maybe, b/c he was alive so their might not have been a will this is a tricky one LOL their=there

alt: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~janderse/marriageshttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~janderse/m

Selma: I see this scenario in the journals all the time..tell her to read a couple to get ideas...

vkn: Thanx a whole bunch alt

freeaainnc: what journals?

vicky: alt no good

Selma: Ngs, VGS.......etc

freeaainnc: I mean can you think of anything in particular?

Selma: Umm..let me see

alt: can't paste it correctly vicky .. still trying

vicky: ok

freeaainnc: hi AY

alt: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~janderse/m arriages/

vicky: hello AYWalton

alt: there you go... make sure you get the end of the link 'arriages/"

AYWalton: greetings, everyone!

alt: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: howdy alt, freeaainnc, Ms. Selma, Ms. Vicky Greetings vkn!!!!

Selma: Hi AY

freeaainnc: I just copy/pasted the addy and removed the space in "marriages"

alt: did it work freeaainnc ?

freeaainnc: yep

alt: okay, thanks... it is Macon & Talladega county colored marriages

freeaainnc: actually, I copied/pasted in the browser, removed the space and then where the ... were replaced with a "c" and it automatically reloaded to the right address

vicky: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb. ... om/~janderse/marriages/

alt: yeah that's it vicky

freeaainnc: yep, and where the . ... om is, replace that either with a c or type in ancestry.c

vicky: sheesh page went down

freeaainnc: either way works

alt: I guess you could also google macon & talladega county county marriages... anyway it is on rootsweb

freeaainnc: went down?

vicky: on mine free

freeaainnc: ok

vicky: said it was unable to load

Selma: Free..gonna have to

freeaainnc: selma gonna have to what?

vicky: anyway, I'll get it lol

Selma: Wait......I am on the pholne

vicky: thanks alt

alt: vkn, I was saying earlier.. great posting by Write Away on her interview with David Paterson on Slave Research.

AYWalton: alt, vkn's screen is frozen. she can't reply on the screen at the moment.

alt: okay, thanks AYWalton

AYWalton: the system does appear to be slow, somewhat.

vicky: I hate to leave good company but I gotta go buy a box of wheat speghetti for din din

freeaainnc: ok, bye Vicky

vicky: before the temp changes another degree later folks

freeaainnc: lol

alt: the interview spoke to only GA and Upshur (sp) county, but the methodology works for anywhere.

Selma: Ok free sorry...

freeaainnc: alt for that that posting on David Paterson interview? np Selma :}

alt: yes free, on the WRite Away Forum on AfriGeneas.

Selma: I wil have to look for an article based on your scenario...however they have stuff like......Finding Parents of lizzie Evans, wife of George C. DAvis of Greene County, GA

AYWalton: Well I just popped in a for a few moments---going back to updating my blog. Am writing about finding Uncle Sephus.

Selma: A Maiden Name for Mercy: Indirect Evidence of the Wife of Benjamin Burgess of Dartmouth, Mass June 2007 NGS Quarterly

AYWalton: have a great day everyone!

freeaainnc: ok!

alt: I'm outa here too

Selma: Does this person come into your library free

freeaainnc: appreciate your help selma no, she's emailed questions

Selma: OK... I will look and see..but these ar ethe kinds of articles she should be looking at..

freeaainnc: she was originally looking for a lookup in our marriage bond index that we have and then explained the situation

Selma: She probably will have to go a round about way

freeaainnc: yep, agree

Selma: Do these folks have siblings

freeaainnc: She is looking in Sampson Co. and their marriage bonds were burned I assume so, but I don't know

Selma: The couple stays in Sampson or do they move

freeaainnc: move to TN along with her father and his family, but records here don't prove relationship to her father, if they did, it would be much easier b/c there is a record of a deed that he gave land to his son in law (her husband), but doesn't show relationship to the daughter

Selma: Ummm..she definitley needs to look at some of these articles...

freeaainnc: lol yep

Selma: LOL...

freeaainnc: I think also, she needs to focus in TN records now since there is no marriage bond and I've gone WAY over what I would normally do and even checked records in the archives for her and nothing shows definite connection between the 3 of them I mean

Selma: Yep..she needs to mine the TN records

freeaainnc: (her, her father, her husband)

Selma: Ok gotta run ..good luck

freeaainnc: ok, bye and thanks

*TuesNite

Start: 21:09:11
End: 22:38:31
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, Khathu, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vicky, vkn

vicky: hello Spivey

Spivey: Hello vicky! I checked on those HTML lessons I was telling you about, and the owner of the club says she didn't keep them because she found out the person who gave them may have plagiarized them from some one else.

vicky: oooh

Spivey: Sorry, they were so good too! Walked you through every step of the way.

vicky: no problem Spivey, I appreciate you checking

Spivey: Yes, it turned out this person had plagiarized poetry and presented as her own in the club, so the owner got rid of everything she did.

vicky: some people just dont get it do they

Spivey: Funny, but the club owner found out by accident doing Native American research. Stumbled on these poems. It just doesn't make sense to take something from the Internet.

vicky: Spivey alt was wondering if you had read the interview done with David Patterson on the forum

Spivey: No, I didn't vicky. Do you have the URL?

vicky: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forumd/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=23267 Spivey in Ga was mentioned

Spivey: Thanks. Mind if I look now?

vicky: oh go ahead its just you and I lol speaking of the man.... Hi alt!

alt: hey Spivey & vicky

Spivey: Okay. While I'm busy looking at it, I want you to know that last night's lesson in GenealogyWise was The War of 1812. We got some good information there. I think I saw Alt there.

vicky: thats good

Spivey: Hey alt! Speak of the devil. Allen McClain was there too!

vicky: oh really.. I have not seen him in awhile rather in eons

Spivey: He usually attends the Monday night sessions there. They are pretty good.

alt: who's the devil LOL

Spivey: ONE guess, alt! Not moi or vicky, so must be the third person in this room. ROTFL.

vicky: I am innocent

Spivey: You usually are, vicky.

alt: okay, guess I'm the devil then

vicky: lol lol

Spivey: I actually admire your tact vicky. alt is tactful too, but a bit more forceful.

alt: me tactful... I try not to be, it's too cumbersome LOL

vicky: cause he is a LaForce lol

Spivey: Did I see you at GenealogyWise last night? There was someone there named Art Thomas.

alt: not this one Spivey

Khathu: evening everyone

Spivey: He is a force vicky! lol

alt: hello Khathu ,

vicky: hello khathu!

Khathu: vicky - i have someone working on your request

Spivey: Good evening Khathu!

vicky: thank you so much khathu

Khathu: also did you know that there was an 1887 Texas State Census? Unfortunately it only gives statistical information

vicky: no I was not aware of that khathu

Spivey: The subject last night was The War of 1812 alt. Where to look for records which I understand were kept very well because of the lack of funding to pay the soldiers. Seems they had to keep records and issue vouchers so the soldiers could get paid later.

Khathu: i was reading about it in the Southwestern Historical Journal today

vicky: Is that one of the ones that is online ZKhathu lol khathu

Spivey: Oh, them fingers not cooperating tonight vicky?

vicky: one finger

Spivey: Ah, then that one finger does very well. I use all ten.

vicky: I use one on each hand lol

Spivey: Except on a laptop or cell phone. The keys are too small for me on those. That is great. You're so fast I wouldn't have known that.

Khathu: yes vicky

vicky: ok thanks. I do have that link bookmarked

Khathu: i made a list of all of the articles related to AA i'll mail you the list tomorrow

vicky: wow thanks khathu

Khathu: i went through a 100 years of journal articles

vicky: now are those all the journals or are there more hidden on library shelves you are amazing khathu

Khathu: from 1890s-1989 i think 1998

alt: I think he's serious about this 'stuff' vicky LOL

vicky: I know alt, thats why I admire him so

alt: Khathu,on the Writers Forum there is a great interview of David Paterson on slave research... it is specific to GA and his area, but the methodology is solid for any State.

Khathu: i will check it out

Spivey: Oh, vicky, does David Paterson respond to requests? I didn't know there was a SPIVEY in the narrative.

alt: Hello AYWalton

vicky: she hasnt come in yet alt

Khathu: you admire me? i am just a student

alt: Oops, jumped the gun .. again LOL

vicky: yes I do khathu

Spivey: That doesn't mean you don't have qualities that can be admired Khathu. We are all students in the broad sense of the word.

vicky: Patterson is the Forum host Spivey so I am sure he will answer your post Did you read the interview yet Spivey

Spivey: Reading it now, vicky.

vicky: AYYYYYYYYY!

AYWalton: Greetings!

Spivey: Although I shall stop since there are people here now.

alt: David is an interesing fellow.. he was here at Wilberforce doing some research following the IBGS in Ft. Wayne last year and Anita & I had him here for dinner one evening.

AYWalton: howdy alt, khathu, spivey, Ms. Vicky!

Spivey: Greetings, AYWalton!

alt: Hello AYWalton

AYWalton: hope everyone is doing well.

vicky: oh that was nice alt!

Spivey: Oh, lucky you, alt! He seems to be an extraordinarily talented researcher.

vicky: I am well AY thanks

alt: he is an Academic Spivey

Spivey: Very well thanks AYWalton. I hope you are the same.

AYWalton: doing pretty good.

Spivey: Ah. He writes beautifully alt. Easy to understand.

vicky: I read an article today about Oprah's new newwork. One of the shows will be Searching and will feature a genealogist who will host. I sure wish I knew who that was and will "we" be one of those

Spivey: I have to consult a map, vicky. My Spivey ancestors came from Schley County as far back as I have been able to research.

AYWalton: Vicky I just update my blog, this evening. will this be a TV or a radio program?

vicky: thanks AY. I may put up one in the next day or two tv She will have her own network AYWalton

Khathu: hello AYWalton

vicky: ok Spivey it is interesting though

AYWalton: I know---but TV network---radio network?

Spivey: kDoesn't she own a network already vicky? Oprah I mean.

AYWalton: where will it air?

vicky: TV Network.. airs in January

Khathu: alt - where is the interview located?

alt: on the Write Away Forum Khathu

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vicky: AYWalton she is moving from Chicago to Cali

vkn: Howdy to all

alt: hello vkn

AYWalton: sounds like Hollywood, so it must be TV.

Spivey: Howdy vkn!

vicky: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forumd/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=23267

AYWalton: wish they would grab someone from our midst.

vicky: for khathu I know AYWalton

Khathu: okay...thanks

AYWalton: so what else is new, these days. khathu will you present at AAHGS this year?

vkn: AYW another serial killer in MD

AYWalton: you have until Friday to respond to the Call for Papers.

vicky: That would be monumental if they did

Khathu: i haven't begun to work on my proposal

AYWalton: VKN, I had not heard that.

vkn: a brilliant young college student AY

AYWalton: oh yes, the researcher---that was horrible! and it was planned apparently.

Spivey: What happened AYWalton?

AYWalton: they have arrested two folks---and they had to be from the family. a researcher was killed in Baltimore stabbed apparently. Two "folks" were arrested---a man and a woman. sad unnecessary killing in the city. senseless.

Spivey: Part of a series of killings AYWalton? I thought vkn mentioned a serial killer?

vkn: 4 nurses females

AYWalton: yes, I did not associate it with a series of killings. But Baltimore City does have a high homicide rate. so sad.

vkn: student was UPS employee is now arrested. people killed are mother daughter pairs

Spivey: 4 nurses have been killed? That is sad and senseless. What kind of reseracher was the latest victim?

3rdthawkins: hello Everyone

vicky: hello 3rd

Spivey: Hello 3rdthawkins!

vkn: howdy 3rd

AYWalton: howdy 3rdthawkins

alt: hello 3rdthawkins

Khathu: hello 3rd

AYWalton: hello there, SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: Good evening everyone

alt: Seventies Soulchild hello

Spivey: Good evening Seventies Soulchild!

vkn: seventies

vicky: howdy Seventies

3rdthawkins: my computer gonna freeze tonite, you all will have to bear with me if I get everything late, my router is getting the feeds, my nieces came down and one of them has a laptop and is using the wi-fi hello Seventies

vicky: wb 7

AYWalton: looks like SoulChile needs some glue, too.

Seventies Soulchild: Hello 3rd, alt, AYWalton, Khathu, Spivey, vickey, vkn

Khathu: Hello Seventies

AYWalton: how is it going, SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: Oh everything is going ok. . . Anything new going on with everyone's genealgy?

vicky: ok 3rd we will be patient :?

Khathu: i am doing a lot more writing of my research

vicky: mabe you should tell us if you were successful today seventies

vkn: alt did I understand you to say that marriages posted re Talladega was from a kin of yours?

AYWalton: No and yes. No---same old research---but yes---always finding something to look at---from the community research that I am always doing.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes somewhat. . . still on vacation.

vicky: anything you can sink your teeth into

Seventies Soulchild: No not really.

Spivey: I am expanding my tree, Seventies Soulchild. A relative wants me to include her paternal family. I have the maternal already.

alt: it was from Dorothy Turner Tuck... you met her .. she now lives in the Atlanta area, but she is a desc of the Talladega Embry's

AYWalton: have you updated your blog of late SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: on the 23rd. . .

alt: that was for vkn about the embry desc from Talladega

Seventies Soulchild: Just posting family photos. . .

vicky: will that be after your presentation seventies

vkn: oh ok alt

Seventies Soulchild: Well I really want to work on my Alabama relatives after I complete this presentation

Khathu: alt - the interview is real good

alt: I thought you would like it Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: I have a lot of leads I can work on. Going to start with my great grandmother Lucy and her siblings descendants.

Khathu: i mailed a cousin some information on the family and he presented the research to another family member as if it was his own

vicky: sheesh khathu

Seventies Soulchild: oooppppsss. . . .

alt: that's gonna happen Khathu ....

Khathu: the family member called me and told me....i thought it was funny the famil member was upset and i just laughed

AYWalton: you should be upset as well, khathu. I hope the cousin has pointed out what happened to the perpetrator.

alt: it will come back to haunt him/her when the questions start coming up about the information contained in the genealogy and they can't answer then.

Seventies Soulchild: Yep.

AYWalton: quite true.

alt: I've seen it happen

Khathu: it happens the very fact that i have the info on the internet

alt: and then it will be.. Well, Khathu said... LOL

Khathu: exactly

AYWalton: put a by-line on your site, khathu.

vkn: Google has changed the whole of copyright..... new interpretations are coming fast and furious..... Much dispute in the courts now

AYWalton: I can imagine, VKN.

vkn: Much to do with format

AYWalton: that's interesting.

Seventies Soulchild: agree interesting

vkn: authors are saying they gave publishers "print" rights not "digital" rights

AYWalton: hmm........very interesting.

Seventies Soulchild: I wonder how that is going to affect blogs? Since Google own blogger.

AYWalton: well digital rights that is a new term and a concept to think about. and Wordpress is out there, and so is Typepad and other free blog sites.

alt: I think the concept now is that you only your work as you 'present' it... anyone can take what you have and reformat exactly what you have and they aren't infringing on your material...

vkn: yes it is indeed Angela and Seventies I see it being years before a decision is made BUT lots of cases

alt: only 'own' your work

Spivey: Khathu, one remedy that may help you is to disable right click on your website [assuming it is not Ancestry]. That way, people can't copy your information en masse, and are loathe to type it all. I had to do that to my website because of my cousin taking information from it en masse and setting up his own tree with it.

Seventies Soulchild: But wouldn't your work have to be referenced?

Khathu: ok

alt: if anyone wants to 'copy' my Tribal Pages website they're welcome to it... All 21K folks with varying bits of information, 748 photos, and 10 stories.

Spivey: WB 3rdthawkins.

3rdthawkins: oops, knocked the cord out

Seventies Soulchild: No thanks. . . lol

vkn: AYW I spoke at LunchBunch about the future of a new concept [to me] of locality as common denominator

Spivey: That's a lot more than I have, alt. Besides, he only took the bits that were the ADAMS and SPIVEY family branches.

AYWalton: sort of a way of approaching the issue of "cluster" genealogy, vkn?

Spivey: Geez, 3rdthawkins!

AYWalton: but making it much broader?

vkn: yes on a geo basis ayw

alt: and even tha is difficult Spivey... each 'branch' of a descending tree is different. I did a graphic for the THOMAS branch of the ADAMS family tree and it is different from every other person's tree because of the 'direct' linkages. example .... http://mydatabase.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=mydatabase&view=62&sort=0&albumid=2&photoindex=177&rand=302909161

Spivey: He had just started alt, when I discovered his tree. I disabled right click and he had his sister-in-law contact me about sharing information. I said I would share if she did, she refused. I didn't know at the time it was his sister-in-law, found out from his sister that he put the sister-in-law up to it. He will stop at nothing, it seems! ROTFL.

vkn: Oh yes ayw. Imagine looking for Joe Jones in 1930 at a certain street address and getting results for all possible data for that Joe Jones including the census

alt: that will be 'amazing' vkn... how is everythiing on the 'Net or elsewhere 'attributed' to that address?

Spivey: Ya know, alt, I have Isaac and Lewis and others in my tree, but they were KELSEYs who married into the ADAMS family.

3rdthawkins: speaking of street address in census, I'm trying to figure out a easier why to search for a street in census

vicky: I wonder how that would work for Rural Routes vkn

Spivey: Did you use a program to do the graphic, alt?

alt: Power Point Spivey

AYWalton: how does that disable thing work?

Spivey: Oh. I don't use Power Point. Never have so don't know what it's all about alt.

vicky: mabe call the assessors office in that area 3rd other than that I dont know.. so many of the pages I have seen dont even list the street on the side of the census

3rdthawkins: perhaps vicky

vicky: just the number pf the streets pf = of

Spivey: http://spivey-adams-familyhistory.net/GroupSheets/Adams/Armenius_Lela.html

3rdthawkins: I tried browsing on HQ but census are so mixed up by enumeration

Seventies Soulchild: I didn't think they did vicky.. only on the city directories or on draft cards.

Spivey: Go to this page, AYWalton. That shows you the result of the coding you can put on your page.

3rdthawkins: I'm searching in Queens New York (Jamaica)

vicky: I have seen the names on some seventies

Spivey: Hey, my neck of the woods 3rdthawkins!

AYWalton: ok I shall take a look.

Seventies Soulchild: However, it seems like they would list the locale on the top of the census records.

alt: what's the guy's name that has the website where you can search census records by enumeration district? he presnts at all of the major Conferences.... His system does what you're looking for 3rdthawkins

Spivey: I live just around the corner, so to speak, from Jamaica, Queens, New York.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I'm tired, long day. . .

AYWalton: ahhh so it prevents the right click copy feature.

vicky: not sure I have heard of that site alt

Spivey: You calling it a night Seventies Soulchild?

vicky: nite nite seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Have a good night all. Yes indeed Spivey... going to bed.

Spivey: If so, enjoy the rest of your evening.

AYWalton: take care, SoulChile.

3rdthawkins: I'm looking for 229-11 Rockaway Blvd. in Springfield Gardens, my great grandparents lived there in 1935-36 and trying to see who lived there in 1930 Spivey

vicky: vkn, I like A for the new header

3rdthawkins: 229-11 doesn't exisit anymore so I can't use current maps to help

alt: Stehen P. Morse ... ONe-Stop something or other 3rdthawkins

vkn: okies

3rdthawkins: yeah, tried him too alt, HQ is just too difficult to search

alt: google Stephen P. Morse 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: oops, tried that site

Spivey: The City of New York has real property records, 3rdthawkins. The ones going back that far aren't online, but you can certainly write them.

3rdthawkins: I do and have used that site alt, it has helped me a lot in finding houses and streets, but NY proves a challenge............OK Spivey, thx

alt: so.. isn't genealogy a challenge LOL

Spivey: It does be that, alt!

vicky: it sure is alt!

3rdthawkins: yes, alt, but like on HQ, you can have ED #'s 379-385 and then all of a sudden it jumps to ED #'s 1138-1147 then it jumps back to ED #'s 289-296

Spivey: By the way, I have to coding for the disabling of the right click if anyone wants it. It is in HTML.

AYWalton: I would love to have it, spivey.

3rdthawkins: it's a mess on HQ

Spivey: Here's the NYC site for real property taxes 3rdthawkins. There should be contact information here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/jump/acris.shtml

3rdthawkins: ok ty

Khathu: goodnight everyone

vicky: nite

Spivey: May I e-mail it to you AYWalton? too long to post here.

alt: laters

3rdthawkins: nite Khathu

AYWalton: here is my email spivey. AngelaW859@aol.com thanks.

Spivey: Got it, AYWalton.

AYWalton: thank you.

Spivey: My cousin was kind of upset when he couldn't right click anymore! lol

vicky: nite nite all. Its ice cream time and Dairy Queen will be closing soon

AYWalton: lol I hear you, vicky!

vicky: cya tomorrow

Spivey: Goodnight vicky. Mr Softee is outside now playing his jingle.

alt: laters vicky

AYWalton: I bet he was, spivey. did he call and complain? and if he did, I hope you told him why you did it.

Spivey: He came to my house and sorta led into the subject about what happened with my website, was there something wrong with it? lol

AYWalton: lol

Spivey: Came all the way from Maryland for a face to face and to 'share' information, which I still haven't heard.

AYWalton: and I assume that you know what he meant. How did you respond?

3rdthawkins: ok everyone good nite company may keep me away for the rest of the wk

AYWalton: nite 3rd.

alt: this 'disables'.. copy and paste for yoru website only, right Spivey?

Spivey: I told him exactly what I did and why I did it. This is the same cousin who purportedly has a studio portrait of our grandmother which I have been waiting ten years for him to give me.

AYWalton: well, next time you visit him, go with your digital camera in hand and snap away.

Spivey: I don't understand the question alt?

AYWalton: tell him it is an even exchange.

Spivey: LOL.

AYWalton: did you tell him why you did it? and if so, what did he say?

alt: you're saying you have html that disable the ability to 'right click'

Spivey: I have to actually put the coding on each page I don't want copied alt.

alt: ah so..

Spivey: He told me the photo was on its way AYWalton. THAT was over a year ago.

AYWalton: lol how did he respond when you told him you had disabled the page?

Spivey: This man programs for the DOD. So, you know he is a computer whiz. Can't even send a photo, though, it seems. He said that was not kind of me to do, after all they are his family too.

AYWalton: and nothing stopping him from researching them. hope you did not give in.

alt: so, I hope you told him that he was then 'free' to researc them as you had done.

Spivey: He goes to Atlanta quite a bit, AYWalton. Said there is absolute no record of our family in their archives. I have to get there myself to see for myself. I have some records, so I know that there are some.

AYWalton: if they have the Federal census---then the records are there. that is kind of amusing of him to say that. Like the pages with your family were just left out, or removed.

alt: what records is he looking for at the Archives?

AYWalton: Oh well----tell him to use the "source" he used to research them before.

Spivey: I have never understood his problem, AYWalton. His sister doesn't understand him either.

AYWalton: (of course since it was your site---I guess that is out of the question.) oh well. well folks, time for me to wind down. I feel the sand man calling my name, too.

Spivey: Okay. Almost that time for me as well.

AYWalton: and I am usually a night owl.

alt: me too way past my bedtime LOL

AYWalton: you all have a great evening.

Spivey: Everyone left again vkn, so I guess I will do likewise, and catch up on some genealogy work. vkn you there? Well, goodnight. I hope I can make it to chat tomorrow. Goodnight.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy