Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-12-19 • 23 & Me is having a sale

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:59:38
End: 13:10:07
Chatters: alt, Daviss, deannie, HistoryBuff, Khathu, Seventies

Daviss: Hello Missy! cat got your tongue?

Khathu: hello

Daviss: Hi Khathu! hello partner!!

alt: hello folks .... Daviss, Khahtu & Seventies

Daviss: Congrats on your find alt

Seventies: Good afternoon all. Was waiting for y'all

Daviss: I've been here Seventies

alt: thank you Daviss .. feeling good about the "find"

Daviss: I can imagine alt.. Wonderful news

Seventies: well I was on facebook.. lol

Daviss: I can believe that Seventies lol

Seventies: Yes well, you know how i do. alt, yes, that was great about the will.

Daviss: have you rec'd the copy yet alt or is it still a couple days away?

Seventies: HEY HistoryBuff! Where you been??

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, Daviss, Khathu and Seventies.

Daviss: Well, hello there HistoryBuff!! Good to see you

Khathu: Hello HistoryBuff

alt: FB, man.. I had to leave it today, got a right-wing cousin whose postings really throw my blood pressure 'out of whack'.

HistoryBuff: It's been hard for me to keep up these past few months.

Seventies: LOL

HistoryBuff: I have a couple of those also, Alt.

Daviss: lol alt, you gotta not let that happen

alt: bout 1-2 weeks away Daviss, I just talked with the archivist yesterday and she gave me instructions on how to obtain a copy (50 pages) .. so check is in the mail, now I'm just waiting.

Seventies: Well you know what they say about right wing black folks... lol

HistoryBuff: Thanks Daviss. Glad I could join you all this time.

Daviss: 50 pages wow alt!!

Seventies: That's a goldmine. Please share on the boards.

alt: lots of other 'estate' papers, not just a Will.

HistoryBuff: Sounds very interesting, Alt.

Daviss: Hopefully HistoryBuff things will even out and you can breathe easier

alt: I shared the process of getting the Will Seventies and that long distance research is possible via telephone, letters, etc.

HistoryBuff: Yes, hopefully indeed.

Seventies: Yes, you taught me that alt.

alt: yes HistoryBuff .. good to see ya here.

HistoryBuff: Thanks Alt. Nice to be missed.

alt: hello deannie

Daviss: Hi there deannie!!

HistoryBuff: Hey Deannie.

Seventies: Hi deannie!

Khathu: hello deannie

deannie: Afternoon everyone,,,,I have lost my glass,,,I am on vacation this week and i do not know where there r...I'm enlarge my screen now

Daviss: So I take it HistoryBuff that research has been on the back burner for you Oh wow deannie..I hope you find them soon

deannie: I think I have it big now Me too lol

HistoryBuff: Somewhat, Daviss. I did find a few newspaper articles for my Scott family Clan.

deannie: How has everyone,,,

Daviss: good HistoryBuff.... deannie I am well..

HistoryBuff: My duties at work are changing. A lot of double duty-academic technology and audio visual technology support.

alt: Daviss, I ran into a problem you've been having ... Seventies gave us the link to some Indiana records, wouldn't you know they have every county but the ONE I'm interested in LOL LOL

Daviss: don't that just frost ya alt..

deannie: Is it that way all the time with genealogy

alt: yep, hopefully my folks may have taken care of some of their business in the surrounding counties.

HistoryBuff: Seems that way, Deannie.

Daviss: deannie did you ever get to record your aunt

deannie: No..I know if I do not get it done....I miss out

Daviss: How old is she now deannie?

HistoryBuff: I found a copy of an article citing my mother as one the Kroger's Scholarship recipients being honored at a banquet in Arkansas during her freshman college year.

deannie: She's 98

Daviss: Thats a great find Historybuff!!!

HistoryBuff: Yes, I have been researching articles about her father and that was one of the hits.

Daviss: Whoa Deannie, what a blessing!!

alt: Wonderful HistoryBuff ... I know you were proud of Mom and she was pleased that you found a copy of the article.

deannie: Yes it is....she on my next trip in the new year,,,be I will record all of my calls to her,,,,,

HistoryBuff: She was and I sent her copies of all of the articles I found pertaining to the Jonah and Pauline Scott family. That's what I need to do Deannie, record/transcribe the telephone interviews with my Mom.

alt: deannie, what type (brand name) of of voice recorder do you use?

Daviss: another toy to have lol

alt: or does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced recorder?

deannie: I have two but i know the brand becasue they are upstairs....do you have one I can try

Daviss: not I alt, I still cant figure out my hand held scanner

deannie: I have one with the little tapes but they do not sell them anymore.,,,but I have a few blanks

Seventies: deannie, go grab a digital. they start at about $30 They may have a good deal now that its the holidays.

alt: okay, in lieu of blogging and/or writing essays/articles I want to record myself and the process I've gone thru in collecting what genealogy I have to date as a record and then maybe transfer those recordings to the written word.

HistoryBuff: Great idea. Alt.

deannie: I have one but I have not used it.....it was one that was give to me my a friend,,,,,

alt: that's what I have deannie, but I want somethiing a little better

Daviss: I wish I had a clue alt? hmm why don't you put a query on the Tech Board?

alt: good idea Daviss re: tech forum

deannie: One of out oldest member passed away about a month ago,,,,,he was a Tuskegee Airmen,,,,I heard him speak at out meeting,,,,we guest what,,,he;s family thrown out all of his paper,,,and he just wrote a book about his life

alt: speaking of interviews.. how many of us have interviewed ourselves?

HistoryBuff: I concur with Daviss on that.

deannie: Me to Alt,,,I will be going to Best buy to see what have

HistoryBuff: Well I'm guilty of not having interviewed myself.

alt: oh wow deannie .. that's a tragedy!!!!!

Daviss: Wow deannie, why did they do that!!

Seventies: How do you interview yourself??? Personally speaking that would be a bit awkward for me.

deannie: Yes it was I will also remember him standing a the member say,,,"When I was an Airman

alt: have a set of questions and then 'speak' to those questions Seventies, that's one method recommended by Hasker Nelson, Jr.

deannie: I do nto know,, and I know they knew how important it was to him

Seventies: alt, I've always been the type of person to keep journals, etc.

HistoryBuff: Sure it's awkward but you could write up the questions and then record your answers in writing. There's your written self interview.

Seventies: I should be a better writer than what I am now... but its been about 3 years since I've personally journaled.

HistoryBuff: You could extract the answers from your journals Seventies. It's good you maintain journals.

Seventies: I have always loved to write even as a child.

alt: for example 'ex-slave interviews" they are wonderful to read, but you get a greater impact when you hear their voices in those taped interviews.

deannie: An anyone purchase a Dragon this year

Seventies: indeed alt\ No

HistoryBuff: Nope.

Khathu: Just connected with a new cousin off ancestry.com on the Dorsey line

alt: not me deannie

Seventies: hey that's great Khathu.

alt: thru the message boards or DNA Khathu?

HistoryBuff: Very nice, Khathu.

alt: or both LOL

Daviss: good for you khathu!

Khathu: No I saw that she was researching Texas Dorsey but did not have any info on his siblings or parents so I sent her a message and she just called me

Seventies: So she is descended from which Dorsey brother?

Khathu: Texas Dorsey

alt: okay Khathu .. the 'collaboration' feature on Ancestry mentioned by Cynthiia on the Forums is a great tool for connecting with folks who have a common interest/ancestry.

Seventies: okay

Khathu: and I am descended from the older brother Henry Dorsey i use that feature a lot alt

Seventies: That's good. I'm sure she was able to fill in some of the blanks you had

Khathu: I reached out to a descended of my great grandfather's sister last night

alt: wonderful Khathu, now you both can add to your 'paper trail' on Dorsey family history.

HistoryBuff: Very good indeed. You folks are on top of things. I endeavor to catch up.

Khathu: Hopefully alt.... She is in Texas, I will definitely have to guide her on what to look when she goes to the courthouse

alt: is she in the county of record for your ancestors Khathu?

Khathu: She is in Dallas but Tyler is about a 90 min to 2 hour drive

Seventies: Khathu is on fire with his research. Perhaps he can help me with mine... lol

HistoryBuff: :)

alt: wonderful to have 'boots on the ground' so to speak Khathu

Khathu: @Seventies I am going to ride this wave for a minute

Seventies: I know you are! lol So I have two record sets I'll be looking at while I"m off on my working vacay. Very excited.

HistoryBuff: Hear hear, Khathu.

Khathu: The archives stays open late on Fridays seventies

Seventies: Okay.

Khathu: FYI

Seventies: Thank you.

Khathu: I may go Friday night and then hit the D.A.R. Saturday morning

Seventies: Oh let me know, so I can ride shotgun

deannie: I have to run and to do a little Christmas shopping;;;;have a great day

Daviss: Are you still volunteering HistoryBuff at the Archives

Khathu: My newly found cousin mentioned that we could contact Henry Louis Gates to help us locate the mother of Henry, Richard and Texas Dorsey. I almost fell out my seat

HistoryBuff: Haven't lately, Daviss.

Daviss: Does your cousin have an "in" khathu?

HistoryBuff: Just paid my dues for the year.

Khathu: nope

Daviss: oh, just a mention huh lol

Khathu: I guess she assumed that he helps anyone who is doing AA research

Daviss: yes, I can see how that happens Khathu

Khathu: Me too

Daviss: Even with the Ancestry ads and the leaves make it seem easy

HistoryBuff: Of course they do. That's the objective to make is seem so easy.

Seventies: lol sorry you need to school her on that...

Khathu: I already did

alt: Gates uses 'volunteer' genealogists like us from across the country to do 'his' research.

HistoryBuff: I'm still analyzing my Ancestry DNA matches.

Seventies: good Khathu.

alt: what is your ancestydna profile if I may ask HistoryBuff?

HistoryBuff: It's Ingrid Armstrong-Doweary, Alt.

Seventies: I would volunteer if I was getting paid... LOL

alt: I ask because I'm also in the AncestryDNA database as ..... allthomas9

HistoryBuff: okay.

alt: okay HistoryBuff, thanks

HistoryBuff: Thank you, Alt.

Daviss: HistoryBuff, 23&me has a $99.00 sale that will be on for awhile

alt: I'm a match with Lisa L (bearnut2), Bev Gray and a couple of other AfriGeneas 'regulars.

Khathu: have a good one

Seventies: Look I need to run. I have work to do and my co-worker is not here today because she's having a procedure. Y'all pray for that girl because she needs it ... badly. Have a good one all!

HistoryBuff: Oh really Davis. I would love to take advantage of that deal. Thanks, Daviss.

Daviss: I like it HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: That's one of the services I wanted to use. Thank you!

Daviss: I am in hopes that some of my cousins will take advantage

alt: well, my turn to skedaddle outa here .. y'all take care

Daviss: bye alt

HistoryBuff: Bye Alt. Wow, Daviss. I had plan to use 2 different testing services.

Daviss: and the good thing is that I can get one next month and one the month after for family members

HistoryBuff: Nice. I'll see if I can get one or both my parents to test their DNA.

Daviss: Right!!! I would work on both and also your hubby

HistoryBuff: See this genealogy research involves enormous amounts of work . I'm good with that. I'll see if my hubby will agree to take another test.

Daviss: he will I am sure

HistoryBuff: Well it's been great chatting with you again, Daviss. I'm off to explore my new Ancestry DNA matches. Take care.

Daviss: u2 take care

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy