Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-07-19

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:05:07
End: 13:27:59
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, Selma

AYWalton: Good afternoon, 3rd. hope you are doing well.

3rdthawkins: hello AY, yeah, doing good, trying to reorganize my research binders

AYWalton: sounds like a good undertaking. good time to re-organize and throw out unnecessary clutter.

3rdthawkins: yeah, had to expand to two binders, I decided to use one for Maternal and the other Paternal

AYWalton: the most important thing is that you have a system that works for you.

3rdthawkins: right :)

AYWalton: I am multi-tasking as usual.

3rdthawkins: finished with that, perhaps I can get to my notes and documents faster

AYWalton: well that's good! It is good to go through things at least once a year like that.

3rdthawkins: I have dividers, separated by Surname

AYWalton: I shall return shortly.

3rdthawkins: hello alt

alt: hi 3rdthawkins.. folks taking the day off?

3rdthawkins: (shrugh) don't know, AY was here earlier, said she would return

alt: I see you're in the re-organizing mode.

3rdthawkins: yeah, families got to big for one binder lol

alt: that happens.... so what's your take on folks and their use of Ancestry for 'tree' storage? good, bad, indifferent?

3rdthawkins: for Storage? I don't like it because it defeats the purpose of having it on there, other's would like to connect I have mines private and a lot of people don't like a person having their tree on Ancestry then set it to private.........I just hate when people put a tree online of someone they are not related to, Unless, they are doing a project

alt: I guess ,, I have many 'trees' on my website to folks I'm not related to. Lot depends on your purpose... Family, community, projecrs, etc.

3rdthawkins: right, if you live in the same area of the people who is in your tree, Ok, but you're in Canada and doing a tree of people in Texas, I don't know

alt: tha's why my Title id 'Art's Family's & Other Folks" to suggest it isn't just a 'tree' of my family, but rather a databse of trees. I've recently started adding the families of those in the A.M.E. church that had some connection to my family and community ties. it is an eye opener seeing the different places the clergy have been located from their early days as Pastors up thru their being named Bishops in the A.M.E. church.

AYWalton: Good afternoon all. Hello again 3rd.

3rdthawkins: wb AY

AYWalton: Howdy alt!

alt: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: Talking about your AME info, alt? howdy Ms. Selma!!

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

alt: hello Selma

Selma: Afternoon you alt, ay and 3rd

AYWalton: how's it going, Selma? anything new down your way?

alt: , I was telling 3rd hos interesting it is in following some of the clergy that have been connected one way or another with my family history

AYWalton: is that right, alt? That is interesting.

Selma: Doing Ok..just got back from a workshop on Conducting Oral interviews

AYWalton: is that new information that you are obtaining? where was the workshop, Selma?

Selma: At the library...N News Library is initiating an Oral History Project..

AYWalton: what a great idea!!! of local elders?

Selma: City of Hampton initiated one about 5 or 6 years ago...leading up the the celebration of their 400th Anniversary, which is now in 2010

alt: is it going to be an 'ongoing' project Selma... from technique, tools, preservation, etc.?

Selma: Of Elders..and anyone else (mostly older) who might have something interesting to say..about their life here in Newport News

AYWalton: I think that is wonderful!!!

Selma: The have purchased a camera..mike, lights

AYWalton: other places should use that program as a model to follow.

alt: ah so... wonderful

AYWalton: How will participants be found?

Selma: I think Houston has one..

alt: who will be doing the actual interviews?

Selma: We submitt names I hadn't planned to...I am hoping Drusilla will be one of the interviers, since she has done a few The workshop is being conducted by Dr. Sandra Newby-

alt: is there a 'flyer' or process you can share with us?

Selma: Alexander from Norfolk State (you will probably meet her when you come to the Civil War conference). She has done many oral history interviews, one project was to interview the retired judges of VA Supreme Court

AYWalton: that is wonderful news. I hope she is involved also. Druscilla is really doing some great things!

Selma: I have handouts Atl..I can copy for you

alt: good!!! you have someone who is familiar withthe process of oral interviewing techniques. that would be great Sellma please do 'copy' me Hasker Nelson was going to do on Oral Interview training workshop with our group... He became ill and it never got off the ground.

3rdthawkins: gotta go you all, have my SonDo list

Selma: The Houston Interviews (I think it was Houston) on are line

alt: Hasker's booklet is in the AfriGeneas Bookstore... He did a TV talk Show in Cincicnnati, Oh for 25 years called "Black Memo".

AYWalton: I remember Hasker Nelson!

alt: it was the longest running TV show of it's kind by an AA when he retired.

AYWalton: where is he these days? (hoping he is still with us.)

alt: he is still in Cincinnati, retired and doing a little consulting work when he is able.

AYWalton: ahhh that's good to know. Selma have you seen the promotional video for the conference in September? The CW conference I mean.

Selma: I see the announcment of the Low Country project has been announced No I haven't have you

AYWalton: yes, I was talking to Toni Carrier last week----she was so excited!

alt: yes, and it looks like they've done a wonderful project too.

AYWalton: It should be really useful. they are also looking for people to assist with Indexing the data.

Selma: Over 2000 folks attended the Civil War Conference in Richmond...just about as many folks have registered for this one..the venue is smaller

AYWalton: anyone who assists will be able to promote their work if they have a website or blog. They have created an indexing badge for volunteers.

Selma: The VA Pilot is running a series on Contraband Camp at Fort Monroe..I posted first yesterday..today is the 2nd

AYWalton: yes, I love it!

alt: WOW!!!! that is wonderful Selma... many AA participants? and was it tilted? Union vs Confederate?

AYWalton: having ancestors who lived in an Contraband camp this is great!

Selma: It wasn't tilted either way..as far as I heard..you can watch on the web at the Civil War site

alt: okay Selma, is there a link?

Selma: It was more a conference on VA in the year before the Civil War started..this one is one The Tough Stuff..Slavery Let me see if I can find.

alt: okay, for sure that iS 'Tough Stuff"

AYWalton: when you have a chance watch the video promoting the conference in September in Norfolk VA. http://nsu-media.nsu.edu/RaceSlaveryAndTheCivilWar.wmv

Selma: What can't I paste links... Alt..put Virginia Civil War Conference in Googel..the 2009 archive came up

alt: I think AYWalton has post a link.. I have the video playing in the background.

AYWalton: it is great!! hit alt TAB to find it Alt---worth watching for 3-4 minutes.

Selma: I will watch when I get off...can't do 2 things at once like you Mizz AY

AYWalton: lol

alt: watching AYWalton

AYWalton: Selma when pasting a link, hit Control v and then it should come up.

Selma: http://www.virginiacivilwar.org/2009conference.php Why thank you Mizz AY

AYWalton: I am thinking about beefing up my Arkansas page for the Sequicentennial of the CW. Making sure that my Arkansas USCTS are represented.

Selma: You should AY...it is gaining momentum

AYWalton: you are welcome Miss Selma! I hope that folks take up arms (so to speak) all over the country!! hmm......reminding me---I wonder if AAHGS will address that at the conference---if any presenters will talk about it.

alt: we're 'battling' here in Ohio with the CW150 committee on getting AA regocnition noted before the establishment of the USCT

Selma: I don't see why it should be a battle ..All should be included

AYWalton: Oh----BTW, I have created a group on Facebook, for Black "professional" genealogists. A place for folks to share info on workshops, calls for papers and anything else that comes to mind. You don't have to be a professional taking clients---you only have to be a leader of sorts in the community to join. It is called BlackProGen. so if you are on Facebook, find the group and join it. alt is there a website focusing on black involvement in the early days of the war? or an organization that illustrates that history?

alt: there was a tremendous amount of AA particapation leading up to the CW and in the early stages and there isn't too big of an effort by the Ohio CW150 committee to acknowledge that fact.

Selma: Oh jeez does that mean I have to join Facebook..can I just visit

AYWalton: well I hope folks are making noise! I think so---but to join you have to be a member of facebook.

Selma: Just start screaming alt...

alt: lots of noise AYWalton LOL

AYWalton: trying to get folks to start interacting with each other more.

alt: Selma, we're screaming with documented facts & figures in our hands.

AYWalton: oh!! Guess what-----I was on Footnote looking at the SC information and I am on Footnote everyday anyway----and found an update to the Southern Claims----found out that my Amanda got $150 payment for a mule that was taken from her!!! that was a fun find!

Selma: I bet that was AY

alt: I would think so AYWalton

AYWalton: Alt, there needs to be some press about your efforts.

Selma: $150 bucks was a good amount of change back then Iwould imagine

AYWalton: Oh yes it was, indeed!

alt: press... there is a 'back room' effort at the moment...

AYWalton: I had never found that, and have been going over Southern Claims off an on for years!

Selma: How did you catch it this time?

AYWalton: well they need to tell the story----two stories---the stories of the ancestors who were involved in the war, and the story to get those facts included!! The resistance involved in telling the story is also worth telling. they had a category of approved claims---still kind of scanty---but I just looked at the states and the county listing---and I saw Tippah county.

Selma: Why are they hesitant to include alt..

AYWalton: There was an alpha list so I checked Young and there was Amanda Young.

alt: there are quite a feww examples of AA's who were'passing' that were able to join the Union Army prior to the USCT and also the cooks, Teamsters etc. that aide the Union Forces.

AYWalton: those stories need to be told, alt.

alt: I wouldn't say hesitant Selma, just unaware and the typical 'oversight' of not being inclusive.

AYWalton: I understand being unaware. It is our reponsibility to make people aware. AND to use the technology of the future to tell the stories of the past! this needs to be everywhere!!! Folks gotta get with it!

alt: of AA history in telling the story of AA involvement.

AYWalton: we can't sit back and say---oh I don't do that ----we have to combat nonsense everywhere.

Selma: So why don't you do a web page of their involement Alt

alt: there are 'efforts' being made as we speak ..

Selma: Is there an annoucment of the new Footnote project.....

alt: many are involved including Bennie, Henry Burke, Hasker Nelson and other active AA storytellers and recorders of AA History in Ohio.

AYWalton: I am glad Bennie is involved! that is wonderful!

alt: there are several exisitng webpages/sites already up explaing AA's in the CW.

AYWalton: alt how far are you from Indianapolis?

alt: bout 2 hrs. drive AYWalton

AYWalton: I have been invited to speak at the Eiteljorg in May 2011. Thought I would mention it.

alt: is that NA and/or IAAGG?

Selma: What is Eiteljorg?

AYWalton: the museum is the largest Museum devoted to Native American history.

Selma: Oh...where is that?

AYWalton: east of the Mississippi, I should say. in Indianapolis. it is a beautiful facility.

alt: They have a great Western & NA Museum at Eiteljorg.. that is where IAAGG meets and also have their annual workshop there

AYWalton: http://www.eiteljorg.org/

Selma: You are going.......right?

AYWalton: the museum itself invited me to speak.

alt: it is fabulous Selma

AYWalton: Yes, I shall be speaking there. it is beautiful.

alt: let me know the date so I can pencil you in my calendar AYWalton

AYWalton: as soon as I have it confirmed, I shall let you know. would love to see you there!

alt: wonderful!!!!

AYWalton: I wish I was attending that Midwestern Roots conference. sounds really good. is that conference held every year?

alt: We can help to 'promote' your presentation to the AA community of genealogists in this area of IN/OH.

AYWalton: wow, thanks alt, I really appreciate that.

Selma: I gotta go folks...

AYWalton: ok Selma. take care. quick question before I go as well. does the Midwestern Roots conference take place every year?

alt: Midwestern Roots, yes .. every year by the Indiana Genealogy/Historical Society

AYWalton: to your knowledge?

alt: I've been the last two years... that is where I met Megan a couple of years ago.

AYWalton: always in Indianapolis or does it move around?

alt: I think it stays in Indy.

AYWalton: ahh ok, great! I have come to realize that Indianapolis is a well kept secret. quite an impressive city!

alt: No place else has the hotel room capacity to hold it.. the usuallyhave 300-500 in attendence.

AYWalton: wow. if you find out about the next Call for Papers, let me know, I might submit an abstract to speak.

alt: well, maybe Ft. Wayne with their ACPL

AYWalton: the midwest has wonderful offerings. Us folks on the coast need to look into the interior a bit more frequently.

alt: yes, we do :}

AYWalton: well, I had better run. Take care.

alt: yes you do :)

AYWalton: lol

alt: laters

AYWalton: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy