Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-06-20

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:13:07
End: 13:30:28
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, deannie, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, ProfessorDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vicky, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning.

Spivey: Good morning, Seventies Soulchild!

Seventies Soulchild: Happy father's day

Spivey: Happy Father's Day!

Seventies Soulchild: I'm surprised no one is in here.

Spivey: LOL. Great minds think alike.

Seventies Soulchild: Its father's day NOT mother's day lol

Spivey: Are you a father? I'm a mother but I accept Father's Day greetings since I raised my dauthter as a single parent. So there! lol

Seventies Soulchild: No I'm a single parent also. And believe me the mom always puts in more work than dad.

Spivey: Of course. I'm surprised no one is here too. Usually a lot of male members here on Father's Day.

Seventies Soulchild: Anything new with your research?

Spivey: Yes. Yesterday I [finally] called my aunt in Georgia and her son answered the telephone. I got the vitals on wife and son. That was great! His mother is 85 and don't like to talk - afraid it might show up on the Internet. lol

Seventies Soulchild: Ah ok that's great

Spivey: He also mentioned a Jessie Adams that he thought was the patriarch of the Adams Family. I always thought the patriarch was Coleman Adams. Another bit of information. He promised to send me copies of the deeds and birth certificates he has that mention this Jessie Adams.

Seventies Soulchild: Nice. .

Spivey: Yes. I was in seventh heaven all day.

Seventies Soulchild: I hope that lead helps you find other family. This line is from Georgia?

Spivey: The funny thing is that Coleman Adams was the owner of the Adams Family Farm. He had a son named Jessie, but my cousin says his Jessie moved to Georgia from the Carolinas and was about the same age as Coleman.

Khathu: Hello ladies

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Khathu! Happy Father's Day

Spivey: Hi Khathu! Happy Father's Day Khathu!

Khathu: Thanks Seventies and Spivey

Spivey: Yes, Seventies Soulchild. From Millen, Jenkins County and Screven County Georgia.

Seventies Soulchild: ok... Khathu anything new on the genealogy research?

Spivey: Maybe Coleman and Jessie were brothers. I did find Coleman's sister living on the family farm in 1930, but both he and his sister were born in Virginia. Maybe the family were split up by their master in Virginia. Maybe so many things.

Seventies Soulchild: Its worth looking into.

Spivey: Not enough information at this time. Back to the drawing board for me! LOL.

Khathu: I examined some marriage records for some extended family members

Seventies Soulchild: I found a long lost family member this week.

Spivey: Oh, great Seventies! I love new finds even when they aren't my own. Did you find anything Khathu?

Khathu: in addition, i am one step closer to being one of the first (if not the first) individual to join the Sons of the Republic of Texas through an enslaved ancestor

Seventies Soulchild: thanks. turns out the my 3rd great grandparents had a son who died in the CW

Khathu: Spivey I have located a lot of marriage records

Seventies Soulchild: I was wondering about that... it should be interesting to say the least

Spivey: Interesting both Khathu and Seventies Soulchild.

Khathu: what i do is trace the marriage of my ancestors siblings and their descendants up until the 1950s

Seventies Soulchild: That's a lot of tracing....

Spivey: Wish I could, Khathu. Hard to trace birth, marriage and death records for me. Maybe because they came from such a small town.

Khathu: then i tried to locate living descendants to try and obtain information from them if possible that where cluster research comes in

Spivey: Khathu, a question: do you have much success tracing females and how do you go about it?

deannie: Happy Father's Day to all

Seventies Soulchild: hi deannie

Spivey: Good morning Deannie. Happy Father's Day to you too!

Khathu: have you ordered any county records more so indexes of vital records

Spivey: Yes, I have tried Khathu. I even visited the courthouse in Millen. The only thing I found there was a deed to the family farm. No marriage, birth or death records were there.

Khathu: with females it is so important to examine marriage records to determine if and when they got married

Spivey: I was directed to another government office, wrote them, and they also came up with no records.

Khathu: what state and county are you researching

Seventies Soulchild: In MS they started indexing by groom first and a second index by bride first. I thought that was genius

Spivey: My Adams [and Kelsey] branches are from Jenkins County Georgia, Khathu. Jenkins County was formerly part of Screven and a couple of other surrounding counties. Records I found were mainly in Jenkins County.

Seventies Soulchild: Familysearch's pilot page is good for locating marriage records

Spivey: You got that right, Seventies Soulchild. I located the marriage record of one of the Adams family there.

AYWalton: Good morning all.

deannie: Mornin Angela

AYWalton: I hope everyone is doing well.

Spivey: I am taking them one by one, but the Adams and Kelsey families were prodigious reproducers. lol

deannie: great and you

AYWalton: howdy deannie, khathu, SoulChile, spivey

Khathu: Spivey - Jenkins County wasn't created until 1905

Spivey: Yes, Khathu. From Screven, Richmond and another county I can't recall offhand.

Khathu: it was created from Bulloch, Burke, Emanuel and Screven

AYWalton: deannie, I saw Nette and Lettie last week at Samford!

Khathu: So you must focus your research on those counties

Spivey: Yes, AYWalton and Happy Father's Day to you! I am, Khathu.

AYWalton: I shall pass that Father's Day greeting to the men in the family, spivey, and of course honor the fathers in the ancestral line.

Seventies Soulchild: yes how was the conference? I saw a few of your tweets and messages

Khathu: Thanks AYWalton

Spivey: Okay, AYWalton. You enjoy it too.

AYWalton: it was wonderful, SoulChile. I enjoy every day, spivey.

Spivey: That's good.

AYWalton: SoulChile I blogged from it every day from Sunday through Friday, so take a look. www.myancestorsname.blogspot.com

Seventies Soulchild: I saw your entries here and on twitter...

AYWalton: that was hard work, but it was worth it to record what was going on greetings alt.

Spivey: Khathu how did you come up with that information so fast? Wow!

AYWalton: Happy Father's Day!!!!!!!

Khathu: Happy Fathers Day alt

Seventies Soulchild: happy father's day alt

alt: hello all. AYWalton, deannie, Khathu, 70's & spivey

Spivey: Good morning Alt! Happy Day to you! :}

Khathu: I went to familysearch.org and looked at their catalog

alt: thank you folks

deannie: OK, I did not go to this month's meeting....but I will talk to Lettie this week about about our annual trip to Ft Wayne

Spivey: That quickly? Wow, you are fast Khathu.

Khathu: you can order the microfilm through one of their family history center

Spivey: Do you have a reader at home Khathu?

alt: hello Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Selma

Selma: Good Sunday morning everyone...

Khathu: Spivey - remember must county clerks do not have the time to do research for the public i live near several family history centers

AYWalton: she was mentioning the upcoming trip to me, deannie.

Spivey: Oh, when I went to Georgia I did the research myself, Khathu. The clerks simply pointed me in the right direction.

AYWalton: I love the spirit in which she and Lettie approach their research. Howdy Ms. Selma!!!

Selma: Good mornin AY, alt, deannie, khathu, seventies and spivey

Khathu: Was that your first time researching at the courthouse? and how long did you spend there?

AYWalton: hope all is well with you, Ms. Selma!

Selma: I am fine,the question is how are you? Are you recovering from your trip

Spivey: No, Khathu, I went to Georgia each summer for a couple of years and spent my vacation visiting the library and the county courthouse. I did not make it to the archives, but my cousin informed me he couldn't find any records there [unbelievable, since there are some records. Now, I rely on Georgia's Virtual Vault a lot Khathu. Not able to travel for various reasons, including finances.

Selma: Alt..saw your response on FPOC board...there is also the possibility that family was not free in 1840, but emancipated sometime before 1850, in which case she needs to be looking at Wills and Deeds

alt: I know Selma, that's why I said IF the family was free BEFORE 1850.

Khathu: Try visiting a family history center near you

Seventies Soulchild: AYWalton, did you get your soul food? :)

alt: my point was to look at both pages on the census records prior to 1850, most folks don't look at page 2 because they aren't looking for FPOC

Seventies Soulchild: Speaking of, I think I may need to make another trip to the Nat'l Archives

Selma: I think the poster needs some basic information...

Spivey: None nearby, Khathu, but I did find one that is only three bus rides away! LOL.

Khathu: well thats near by

Spivey: Not in New York City, Khathu! LOL.

alt: and don't realize that ONLY the HOH is listed before 1850 I was wondering where she saw a gr gr gr grandmaother on an 1810 Census record.....

Spivey: When I was still driving, I drove there and couldn't find a parking space so had to drive back home with nothing accomplished Khathu! Boy, was I disappointed!

Seventies Soulchild: Now alt, does this apply to all FPOC census even at the state level?

Selma: What do you mean seventies?

alt: all federal census records from 1790 to 1840 Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: ok alt. For example I noticed that AL has state census records and federal census records.

Spivey: That is a boon Seventies Soulchild since the state censuses usually occurred in off years.

Seventies Soulchild: There were a few of my FPOCs listed before the 1866 census, but I'm not sure if I was looking the index vs the actual census

alt: many States have census records between federal census on the 5 years between federal census

Spivey: I have found some luck with the Florida census records alt. Very helpful.

alt: and most former slave States performed a census immediately following the CW

Seventies Soulchild: So let me tell y'all about my find. I was able to locate the CW pension for my long forgotten gg granduncle Charles Rounds Hi ProfessorDru His mother received a pension for him & there is something in there about $100 given to his parents..

ProfessorDru: Greetings from Richmond, VA, former capital of the Confederacy. LOL

Selma: If it was up to our current Governor..the confederacy would rise again..LOL

Spivey: I have a question. Was there a lot of agricultural work in Florida during the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's that caused people to migrate there for work?

ProfessorDru: LOL Selma

alt: a reason for the census records following the CW was to get a count for 'full' representation in congress as slaves were only accounted for as 3/5 prior to the CW.

Selma: Could the $100, been the last of his bounty payments for enlisting

Seventies Soulchild: Yes...that's what it says

ProfessorDru: I won't be in the chat long--am getting ready to go see the play "Crowns."

Seventies Soulchild: but its taped over another statement.... ugh! What is with MS and this taping glue thing! lol Enjoy ProfessorDru

alt: interesting Seventies Soulchild ... his 'mother' received pension funds for him. I thought those funds were only for widows

Selma: Rested Proff Dru

ProfessorDru: Angela, I guess you're on information overload with all of the things you learned at Samford.

Seventies Soulchild: No I think it was because she and his father had established their relationship prior to with the bounty thing.

Spivey: My maternal grandmother received the pension for my uncle who was killed in Korea alt.

Selma: Was he the sole support of his mother Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: No actually I think he was their oldest child.

alt: Spivey, pension or insurance as they could have been named the beneficiary?

Spivey: Pension alt. She never cashed a single check.

alt: and Seventies Soulchild is speaking of a CW pension

Spivey: 'Bye ProfessorDru and have a good time.

Seventies Soulchild: yes. . .

ProfessorDru: thanks

Selma: Enjoy yourself dru..you deserve it

Spivey: Maybe it was the same rule then alt.

alt: really, for Korea... was he a career military?

Seventies Soulchild: I did find out a few details. The pension file is only 19 pages long I found some people that I think may be relations through marriage and children

alt: could be Spivey.

Spivey: He didn't have a chance to be career military alt. He was killed when he was 24. He had no wife or children. Maybe that made a difference?

Seventies Soulchild: His mother lived to be nearly 100 yrs old. It gives his date of death, but no birth. Is this normal for someone who died in the line of duty?

alt: then I think we have a terminology difference.... pesnion vs insurance & pay.... If in Korea his checks could have been sent to some account as an allotment.

Spivey: No year Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: No year of birth

Spivey: No, alt. They were definitely pension checks.

Seventies Soulchild: But he wasn't far from home, he was just serving in Vicksburg, MS

alt: was age at time of death given Seventies Soulchild? okay Spivey

Seventies Soulchild: I didn't see one initially It includes all of his service records which was the total of one card...

Spivey: Maybe because back then it didn't matter your age when you entered the armed forces Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: However it does list the certificate numbers for the Bounty No they documented it. I have another file that has all of that information and then some.

AYWalton: ok back---sorry I was on the phone.

Selma: Maybe just an oversight seventies..does his date of birth appear on other forms

Seventies Soulchild: That's what I was thinking. It would be nice to know so I can add it to the tree. browsing through them now.

Selma: Did he have siblings seventies...how old were they?

AYWalton: I had better run folk, gotta make another call.

Spivey: What did they document Seventies Soulchild?

alt: AYWalton, we're speaking to CW pension records.... who was eligible to receive a pension... from the CW vet... widow, mother, children, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes he had about 5 or 6 other siblings

Khathu: have a great day and fantastic week everyone

alt: Oops too late AyWalton has split

Seventies Soulchild: birth years range from about 1840 to 1860

alt: guess the question is really who applied for the pension in this case.

Seventies Soulchild: Spivey, they took witness statements, the investigators statements any certificates to prove relationships. etc.

Selma: When was this pension applied for seventies?

Seventies Soulchild: I'm guessing that my gggrandfather applied on her behalf. Since she stayed with him 1890

alt: yes CW pension applications are full of affidavits & depositions

Spivey: Did they document her birth Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: Approved in Sept 1891 when the Dept of the interior was still in charge of it

alt: to prove relationships to the CW veteran if wasn't applying for the pension himself

Seventies Soulchild: No just her death because they had to stop the pension but the witness statement from her son-in-law says she lived to be 102

Selma: When did she die?

Seventies Soulchild: August 1910

alt: so Seventies Soulchild, he received a pension died, and then his widow applied for his benefits?

Seventies Soulchild: Charles jr had no wife or children so the pension & bounty defaulted to his parents.

Selma: She would have been born approx 1808?

Spivey: Well, can you guesstimate Seventies Soulchild based on the birth dates of his siblings? Like, how many years were between them one, two, three, and guesstimate about when he was born? You said the births took place between 1840 and 1860 and he was the oldest?

Seventies Soulchild: The 1870 census states 1815 I suspect he was the oldest In 1900 she was listed as 85

alt: this is an interesting 'case'... I sure wasn't aware of any 'bounty' when dealing with CW pension records...you learn sumpin' new everyday

Seventies Soulchild: I've been trying to print to MSWord so I can post the images on my blog, but no such luck :(

Selma: I just looked at some records the other day..folks were getting 300 bounty for 3 year enlistment

alt: really!!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Wow...

Selma: Yes alt.. really...LOL..I mentioned a couple of months ago about bounties but you said they didn't or you hadn't seen, but they were

Seventies Soulchild: I thought a bounty was part of the contract? I'd seen it on other service records on ancestry

Selma: This listing was of USCT enlisitng from Southside VA, Surry, Southampton, Sussex.. etc... It was where I saw the reference to Tortaguas..someone said there was a prison there..I am going to check

Seventies Soulchild: ok that conversation...

alt: Hmmnnn 3 year enlistment... yet AA's and USCT didn't come into existence before the later part of 1863 and the war was over in 1865... Hmmmnnn LOL

Selma: Hold on will look when these enlistments took place..

Seventies Soulchild: Poor Charles Jr. died in 1863

alt: not doubting Selma, just trying to learn. Charles Jr. is he the CW veteran Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: yes I'm browsing now to see if I can find an age on his service card.

alt: and USCT's weren't being enlisted prior to 1863... WOW that's sumpin'

Seventies Soulchild: a side note, I saw that someone has the 50th roll in their private collection

deannie: The new season of History Detective starts tomorrow

Seventies Soulchild: they posted their website on the boards here.

Selma: I gotta go back and copy the whole book...

Seventies Soulchild: And that really stinks because I would like to see if he appears on their rolls. That would have the information about his age,where he was born etc

alt: hehehehehehe @ Selma

Selma: BRB

alt: yes Seventies Soulchild, his enlistment papers should give age at the time of enlistment.

Seventies Soulchild: hah the information was just staring me right in the face! He was 23 when he died so he would've been born about 1840 I just get into these narratives, which has a lot of information about the family

Spivey: Sounds like something I would do, Seventies Soulchild!

alt: MY CW ancestor was 42 y/o at the time of his enlistment... according to his papers... I couldn't believe they took men that old, but Bennie McRae said that was a common practice for 'older' black men to enlist.

Seventies Soulchild: Because those statements are made to establish relationships of the beneficiary to the soldier That's older,BUT they have upped the age of military enlistment to 43 in the Army this year....

alt: I know Seventies Soulchild, but we're talking about the CW timeframe and 40 years of age was getting up there in the mid 1800's. what was the life expectancy of black men in the mid 1800's?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes,but I would think that the men in their 40's would be in pretty good working shape. That was just a side note, alt... now your CW vet came out of ohio?

alt: yes...and he enlisted in PA... Camp Penn to be exact. in 1863... fought at James & Edisto Island in SC was mustered out in Beaufort SC in 1865

Seventies Soulchild: ok did he go straight home or stayed in South Carolina for awhile?

alt: http://mydatabase.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=mydatabase&view=62&sort=0&albumid=4&photoindex=0&rand=543376455

Selma: Ok back.these enlistments are running from 1863 to 1864

alt: enlistment record of peter Allen

Selma: Not all are listed as receiving bounties.. John Reed age 22, enlisted in NNews 10/03/1864 for 3 years, 100 bounty paid Good number of these were mustered out in Brazos Texas

alt: Selma.. I see the 3 year enlistment period ... wonder if Peter Allen received a 'bounty'?

Selma: This one is interesting..

alt: http://tinyurl.com/2g3gyth

Spivey: http://tinyurl.com/24mzy7u

Seventies Soulchild: Says he was supposed to for $100

alt: papers for peter Allen

Selma: James Diggins, born Southampton, 1/11/1865 enlisted in Lancaster PA

Seventies Soulchild: Nice enlistment certificate alt

Selma: Mustered 9th district for 1 year Substitute for David Roseborough All these men were said to have been born in Southside VA counties..most enlisted from this areas, but a couple from NC

alt: I have his enlistment, service records & discharge papers Seventies Soulchild ... he died in 1877 and was a widower so there was no pension papers filed

Selma: or in this case in PA

vkn: Good Sunday Each and All

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

Selma: You have the best documents atl... LOL

Spivey: Good afternoon Miss vkn.

Selma: Happy Father's Day alt..I forgot

alt: thank you Selma.. Anita took me out for Breakfast... lazy woman LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I'm tellin! lol

alt: I expected breakfast in bed LOL LOL LOL

Selma: I had the pleasure of meeting Anita...trust me she can handle him.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol

vkn: AYW gave an excellent report on one Samford exerscise last night Read the log http://tinyurl.com/2aqzb5c Happy day Alt

alt: thank you very much vkn

Seventies Soulchild: i have about 10 windows open right now lol

Selma: you know its interesting how folks can get focused on one particular thing, in this case age...

vkn: Seventies Soulchild are you looking to crash LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol I won't crash

Selma: Anita must of popped him on the side of his head

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm looking at the brick wall exercise

vkn: Indeed Selma and the associated age discrimination

vicky: Hi everyone, good morning!!!

vkn: Also when time permits take a read of the post from parkin24

vicky: shoot, sure wish I could scroll back

Selma: Where is that vkn?

vkn: http://tinyurl.com/2conj4x

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Ingrid_Doweary

deannie: I have to run....have a great day....do genealogy everyday that ends with a y

Seventies Soulchild: The west coasters are coming in... :)

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Alt, Deannie, Vicky, Selma, Seventies, Spivey and vkn

Selma: OK deannie..

vkn: she GIVES so much across all forums and still deals at home. A true Hero

Selma: don't leave us too many days to do anything else.. LOL

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary!

vicky: hello there alt

Selma: Not that it mattered..but

alt: naw, # 1 son stopped by for a quick minute... Anita didn't 'pop me' Selma LOL

Selma: Thats what I thought vkn

vicky: lol @ alt

Selma: Heck #1 son should be taking you out for a round of golf

Seventies Soulchild: lol

vicky: I got my card from the kids this morning

Seventies Soulchild: y'all are too funny! Now is that #1 son chronologically or your favorite? :)

vicky: usually they include a bag of marbles or a deck of baseball cards :?

alt: chronologically Seventies Soulchild he be 56 and a g-papa himself

vkn: vicky GOOD for your kids. Little is recognized about the fathering role of mother's

Seventies Soulchild: wow that's young to be a great granddaddy!

vicky: yep for sure vkn!

Seventies Soulchild: oh oops I read that wrong! lol

vicky: lol @ seventies

alt: he has a son 31, dau 29 & dau 27 and they all have kids ... too may kids LOL LOL

vkn: Vicky and ALL we need more in depth discussion about our role as fathers

Seventies Soulchild: lol alt...you can never have too many children...

alt: oh yes you can LOL lOL

vkn: I have six Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Well hey some of the people I went to school with are grandparents before they even made 40

alt: is that right vkn... didn't realize you had 6 children.

Seventies Soulchild: Six is a good round number. :)

vkn: I have six Seventies and some days one is two too many other days I could do twelve LOL

Selma: Thats why she is SO good at being in charge alt..and multi tasking

vkn: LOL LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I only have two

alt: I can understand that Selma .. vkn be's organized LOL

Seventies Soulchild: My BFF has 4...lol

vkn: Only is good

Seventies Soulchild: If I was married I'd probably have six too vkn babies are just so adorable.

vkn: okies not touching that

Seventies Soulchild: Hey this is the genealogy forum families is what we do! lol

vkn: families is what we search

alt: Selma .. can da Tiger do it today? another 66 and he's in LOL

Selma: We'll see alt..what time does it start? Babies are cute..and then they grow up..

alt: it starts at 3:00 don't know his tee-time, but he is in the next to last group

vkn: true selma

vicky: lol @ Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Anyone still watching the FIFA World Cup?

Selma: and they are still cute, but they don't smell as good.. LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm not watching it, but it's still on.

alt: off and on Seventies Soulchild .. I'm not much into Soccer.

vicky: you mean they are too big now to burrow into their little tummies Selma lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol Selma

Selma: The tummies are over the belts..

vkn: But they hug good Selma

vicky: lol lol

Selma: I use to like to burrow into their necks.

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol

vicky: oh yeah!!

Ingrid_Doweary: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Now I wanna eat since Ingrid is eating.... Haven't eaten at all this morning..

Selma: My kids played soccer so they are watching

Seventies Soulchild: Mine too Selma

Ingrid_Doweary: Go for it, Seventies, I'm done eating

vicky: and then along come the grands and we do that process all over again lol

Selma: and that is exactly what I did vicky..and then I sent them home.. LOL

vkn: I have six grandies

vicky: hehehehehe

Selma: I have 5 are we keeping count?

vicky: two for me

alt: oh my... keeping count is good Selma... like I have 5 grandkids and at last count 5 great grand kids....

Selma: Ya gotta catch up vicky.. LOL

alt: Oops 6 great grandkids

vicky: oh noooooo

vkn: No greats here

Ingrid_Doweary: My mother-in-law has 11 grands and 6 grgrands

vicky: any grands Spivey?

vkn: Spivey you sleeping?

alt: well ladies .. I'mouta here so y'all take care.

vicky: ok gotta run now.. Church is calling

Ingrid_Doweary: take care Alt.

Spivey: No Miss vkn, No grands either.

Seventies Soulchild: bye ms vicky & alt

vkn: okies y'all

vicky: ah ok

Ingrid_Doweary: Take care Ms. Vicky.

Spivey: I should say I do, Miss vkn because my niece's children say I am like a grandmother to them. lol

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm going to do a double look over these new files... have a good afternoon/day all

Ingrid_Doweary: Take care 70s

Spivey: My daughter always said she wasn't gint to have children and she didn't even though she got married. My nephew said he was never going to get married or have children. He is now 40 years old and has done neither one.

Ingrid_Doweary: My youngest daughter told a customer that she herself was too young to have children. The customer was trying to quirt on her. I think my daughter also meant she was not ready to have children. Yeah, Spivey, I believe the affairs of the heart are kind of private.

Selma: Folks gotta run .. takin the little darlins home..

vkn: okies selma Absolutely

Spivey: My daughter's half sister married another woman, and this when her natural born son was about 9 years old. But she had other issues as well. She never knew my ex-husband was her father, always thought it was the man her mother married. She asked me if she should tell the man she knew as her dad, and I said I didn't think that was a good idea, especially since he was on his death bed at the time her mother broke the news to her.

vkn: Moultrie Benham 1877-1938 my dad

Spivey: Moultrie? I have seen that surname many times, in newspapers I think.

Ingrid_Doweary: There's a district courthouse in Washington, DC named after Judge Carl Moultrie. Any relation, Vkn?

vkn: Surname for me is BENHAM

Spivey: Okay.

Ingrid_Doweary: I got it. Probably a long shot.

vkn: There is a Fort in SC named Moultrie that is Civil War related

Ingrid_Doweary: I believe I read somewhere that Langston Hughes was related to Mercer Langston.

Spivey: I think this is a gentleman in Atlanta Georgia or in Savannah. May have passed the name Moultrie down through generations and it became the given name. That often happens.

Ingrid_Doweary: For sure, Spivey

Spivey: I wish my Kelsey family had been more inventive, though. There are tons of males with the given name Abraham. Then, all of a sudden, up pops a Jacques. lol

vkn: MOULTRIE is a name of Slaveholders related to BENHAM and IRBY in SC

Spivey: Aha. There you go!

vkn: and the civil war start really was Fort Moultrie

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow !

Spivey: Well, ladies I have to prepare for my daughter's arrival. She is coming in from Atlanta to spend a week with her momma.

Ingrid_Doweary: Where did you come across the information, Vkn? Good for you Spivey. Enjoy your family visiting.

Spivey: She still wants me to move to ATL Miss vkn, but the mere thought freezes me up. LOL. Have a good Father's day.

vkn: Let no name be unturned

Ingrid_Doweary: Hear hear.

vkn: Have a great rest of the day Ingrid. Hope you are about ready to host a chat

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes let's work on that. Have a great Sunday, Vkn.

vkn: U 2

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy