Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-08-21 Employment status 1940

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:27
End: 13:37:57
Chatters: alt, Daviss, fierybug08, History_Buff, keli1, Selma, Seventies

alt: Hi Daviss, welcome back

Daviss: hello there alt, and thanks! How's it going?

alt: how's "da feet" LOL I'm doing fine

Daviss: LOL, "da feet" is just like the sun, going down day by day

alt: hehehehehehe

Daviss: I see you downloaded your tree for others to view.. how nice Hi Selma!!!

Selma: Good afternoon alt and Daviss

alt: I've been busy on Ancestry looking at the Ohio birth Index 1908-1964 ... finding lots of hits on folks that I had only approximate birth dates on. Hi Selma, how goes it with you today?

Daviss: good luck as usual alt I spent last night again looking for my mother and grandmother still no luck at all

Selma: Doing OK...spent some time at FHC looking at some film I ordered over 10 years ago as indefinite

Daviss: they kept the film after you ordered it Selma

alt: I'll bet you know more much more about what you're looking at now than you did 10 years ago Selma

Selma: Well when I started in the 1990's..you could order something and ask for it to be kept "indefinite"...I think I might have paid a a little more, but I don't remember..they have over 20 drawers with film folks ordered as indefinite..they are still there

alt: wow, ain't that sumpin'.

Selma: I had ordered 4 rolls of Grenada records, 2 orders of Freedmen's Bureau records..the FB records that were filmed at that time..not RG 105

Daviss: oh I see.. I think when I ordered my last film I only pd $3 and had it for two weeks. I did not see that we could have that option of indefinite

Selma: Maybe they don't do anymore..you should check

Daviss: I would have loved that

Seventies: Good afternoon alt, Daviss, Selma

alt: Hello Seventies, what's up?

Daviss: Hello there Seventies!!

Selma: Afternoon seventies

Seventies: Daviss is BACK!! :}

Daviss: LOL Seventies!!

alt: yep, live and in color LOL

Daviss: legitimate color at that lol\

Seventies: lol

Daviss: glad to be back but really happy to see my relatives

alt: Selma, the materials you sent helped to "quelch' a mis-statement on Facebook about where & when the "first" Africans in VA came from and where they settled...... Jamestown or Point Comfort ....... footnotes with references are GOOD STUFF!!!!!!! lol

Selma: They came into Point Comfort which is now Hampton and were taken to Jamestown

Daviss: and where was this mis statement on FB alt

alt: right Selma ... something Melvin stated from another 'quoted' source Daviss

Selma: Folks in Hampton have been trying to correct that statement for over 20 years

Seventies: I ain't even going to speak on that.

Selma: There is a marker on what is now Fort Monroe..

Daviss: thx alt

alt: you don't have to Seventies, but mis-statment of 'facts' is as bad as ignoring the fact ... of course that's IMHO LOL LOL

Seventies: lol

Daviss: Would you all care to share BB's show when the DNA lady was on regarding your question alt? dang that sounds off

Selma: I had to leave Daviss...I couldn't get the sound

Daviss: ah I see Selma was your question answered alt?

alt: You can listen on the archived show Daviss.... I thought she was good and responded to the questions asked ... her response to my question wasn't quite what I was looking for tho'. I was hoping she would say that what I was looking for can't be found in the 'normal range' of testing offered by 23+me, FTDNA & others.... that much more expensive testing would need to be done.

Daviss: oic

alt: and i ain't got the money, or the inclination, to spend the kind of money required to answer my concerns

Seventies: lol Join the club alt!

alt: okay Seventies

Daviss: did she say that they would reopen the "free" one again I have so much to get caught up with

alt: yeah Daviss, things move so quickly.

Daviss: or was the free question asked?

alt: count down for my Adams Reunion has started .. Labor Day weekend, I'm beginning to get 'fired up' LOL

Daviss: I can imagine alt.. I just found out that our reunion next year will be in Atlanta

alt: not sure on the 'free' thing Daviss

Daviss: ok alt thanks

Seventies: Great news alt! Hope you all have a great time.

alt: I got the impression that their goal was for 10,000 .. they fell short of that number, but are satisfied (?) with what they have and will not re-open the 'free' offer.

Seventies: Daviss, save up for that... sheesh. Talk about EXPENSIVE.

Daviss: oh my, I was hoping to get all my slackers to get in on it

alt: me too Daviss

Daviss: I know Seventies.. the daughter and I talked about it last night. She went so far to see how much the train would be for 4

Seventies: Probably more expensive than flying....

Daviss: 52 hr ride and $900 sheesh

Seventies: Exactly.

alt: is that right, WOW!!!

Daviss: the 52 hr ride is rather long

Selma: I should say..that like 2 days

Daviss: I think the stop over was in New Orleans

Seventies: You get more convenience for your dollar by flying. ATL and Phx are both hubs.. so it should be pretty cheap.

Daviss: Ha!!

Seventies: I said 'should be' not guaranteed to be.. lol

Daviss: lol

Seventies: You ought to go to priceline and see what they have available.

Daviss: that I will Seventies, that I will..thanks for suggestion

fierybug08: Hello wonderful people *virtual waves*

alt: hello fierybug08... how the heck are ya?

Daviss: Heyyyy fierybug08!!

Selma: Afternoon fierybug

Seventies: My aunt used to get GREAT deals from South Bend, IN to Phx

fierybug08: I'm tired....too much work and not enough play with my Afrigeneas friends

Seventies: brb

fierybug08: I found my grandma on the 1940 census...she was 2 years old. :)

Daviss: gotta take a deep breath fierybug08

alt: wonderful fierybug08

Daviss: good for you fierybug08.. I still have not found mine

fierybug08: and I realized her name was spelled differently. Now...all I have to do is keep looking for her birth certificate and send for her marriage license

Selma: Still...Daviss..

alt: Thats' scary fierybug08 .. I'm older than your grandma LOL LOL LOL

Daviss: Still... Selma :(

fierybug08: Daviss...I think our families have probably crossed paths. Texas might be big...but no too big we can find her

Daviss: Zepher is not that hard even with the mis spellings

fierybug08: I think I will try recording a couple of families. I found my namesake, plus someone with my father's surname.

Selma: Did she have a middle name..

Daviss: Lee was her middle

fierybug08: Mariah? Zepher?

Seventies: hi fierybug08 and Selma

fierybug08: Hi Seventies, Selma, alt

Daviss: Zepher is my mother..The other name lol is my great grandmother

Seventies: Oh shoot.. we're going to get all sorts of malfunctions because someone mentioned Mariah... THANKS! LOL

fierybug08: well sorry

Daviss: I did not say the name.. Fierybug did blame her lol

fierybug08: :) I'm guilty.

Daviss: lol lol lol

fierybug08: And drinking a Dr. Pepper with my salad

Seventies: Yummy fierybug08!

Daviss: sheesh Fierybug that is a double whammy..we have a story about Dr Pepper

fierybug08: I also see that they had a son as well. And low and behold his name is John

Daviss: was John new to you Fierybug08?

alt: I know you have Daviss, but you gotta try all kinds of combinations, wild cards, etc... it took a while, but I found my mother in 1940 by using just first name "Vera" born in Ohio about 1915, Negro & wife. found her in Pittsburgh, PA instead of Ohio and where I thought she would have been.

fierybug08: well I believe my ggrandma had at least 8 children. I can find them in the census They no longer ask how many children the women have?

Daviss: ok alt... I wish they did have that question also fierybug08 it sure would help

alt: Davis and she was mis-indexed as Vera Moone, not Vera Moore ... the 1940 census is a 'doozie' LOL LOL

fierybug08: Texas & Pacific Railway... does this sound familiar to anyone?

alt: not me fierybug08

Daviss: Yes Fierybug08 all my uncles worked for them as well as my grandfather

fierybug08: no way...I wonder if Texas & Pacific Railway has an archive or historian we can contact? Cool Daviss...I might need to chat with you later

Daviss: brb ok back

alt: that was fast Daviss

Daviss: I have no knowledge of either but the library in Chicago has a Pullman Porter archive Telemarketer and a quick hangup alt lol

alt: hehehehehehe @ Daviss

fierybug08: how can you access 'employment status' answers from the 1940 census? Or do I have to go view them at an archive?

Daviss: The RR has a different SS number also\ If you have a DC with the RR number you can check with the lbrary to see if he was a Porter

fierybug08: hmm...I may have to investigate which traveling direction they used.

Daviss: The Newberry

fierybug08: DC?

Daviss: death certificate

fierybug08: okay....

Selma: I think I posted a book on AA's and the RailRoad..a couple of years ago

fierybug08: thanks Selma...I'll have to check it out

alt: fierybug08, have you 'googled' Texas & Pacific Railways for clues?

Seventies: bbbyyyyeeee....

Daviss: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum/index.cgi?md=read;id=82909

fierybug08: no...I just saw it on the Census page just now. But I will do so

Daviss: Hello there History

History_Buff: Hey Alt, Daviss, Fierbug08 and Selma. How goes it?

Selma: Afternoon Historybuff..

Daviss: Its going History

Selma: Folks have to run..have a nice day

History_Buff: :)

Selma: Bye

alt: okay fierybug08, that might be a good start re: ggogle

fierybug08: okay...I'm on it alt

alt: okay

Daviss: I think that link I posted is the one Selma was talking about fierybub08

fierybug08: hi History_Buff

Daviss: bug not bub :?

alt: gotta run y'all take care

Daviss: bye alt How have you been History?

fierybug08: yes> I have to run too. Sorry guys.

History_Buff: I've been maintaining as best I can. How about yourself?

Daviss: have you had any luck on the 40 census that is

History_Buff: Yes, I found my mother in Camden Arkansas, but only found my paternal aunt and uncle in Lee County Arkansas.

Daviss: wonderful I found one of my maternal great grands but no sign of my grandmother or mother

History_Buff: My first cousin and I have been sharing our family trees with other on Ancestry.com

Daviss: oh how nice! Have you had your reunion yet?

History_Buff: Yes, back on 08/10-12/2012.

Daviss: Oh Ok, what about a reunion book, did you all have one did you take pictures and post any on FB

History_Buff: We had folder for the events but I was only able to present poster size copies of 3 documents-1870, 1880 censuses and 1 map of Arkansas and Louisiana together. I didn't take pictures but others took pictures. i was too busy sweating my presentation.

Daviss: lol I bet you were great History I did not hear any knocking knees out this way lol lol

History_Buff: It was well received. Inspired much discussion and interest. I have been in touch with about eight relatives for consultation and exchanges.

Daviss: I know that sound well hahahahahaha

History_Buff: No knocking knees but due to extreme nervousness, I lost my appetite for dinner.

Daviss: so you have ties to Louisiana also huh

History_Buff: It looks that way. There was an ancestor named Mariah and about 3 ancestral relatives were born in Louisiana according to the 1870 Louisiana census.

Daviss: more searching for you now I see.. and where in La was this

History_Buff: The David and Mariah Cummings household was enumerated in Claibourne Parish, Louisiana.

Daviss: ahhhh ok..Your Cummings folk

History_Buff: Yep in 1870. It light up a light bulb for a distant cousin who resides near me in the DC area.

Daviss: wow History thats great

History_Buff: Hey Keli1, how are you?

Daviss: hi Keli1

History_Buff: Indeed Daviss thanks.

keli1: hello there Lunch Bunch! I am doing okay today, how about you?

Daviss: Sup Keli1

History_Buff: I'm good thnx fir asking.

Daviss: doing good so far

History_Buff: ir=for

keli1: how is AZ Ms. daviss, I am glad to see you home, safely

History_Buff: Between my husband and me, we're hosting 3 family reunions next year.

Daviss: History was just sharing her new found success Thank you Keli1

keli1: three reunions, wow, you are brave ones

Daviss: indeed, lol I can do one

History_Buff: Just happened that way.

keli1: one is more than enough lol...

History_Buff: Indeed

Daviss: With your permission lol

History_Buff: lol Are you coming to tonitw's session ladies? tonitw=tonite

Daviss: huh whats session is that

History_Buff: tues nite chat.

Daviss: oh yeah lol I am sure turned around I spent yesterday helping grand move into her dorm and lost track

keli1: what session?

History_Buff: Cool. Talk with you tonite then, Take care.

Daviss: take care She is talking about Tues night chat Keli keli1

keli1: on AfriGeneas?

Daviss: yes, we have a Tues night chat 9 Eastern I thought I have seen you there before

keli1: oh okay, sounds good. Have you talked to Mariah lately?

Daviss: Ha! you are funny

keli1: oh yea a few times

Daviss: She was mentioned earlier lol and HistoryBuff just found out she had one in La Thank you for you kind words Keli1

keli1: she found who in LA or Louisanna?

Daviss: and the quote from Kalil a Mariah in Louisiana not mine though :o I better run Keli1..take care and again thanks much see you tonight mabe

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy