Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-05-22 LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:57
End: 13:07:31
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Daviss: Hi there alt!! How's it going?

alt: Hi Daviss, how you doing? I'm okay & getting better.

Daviss: Thats great to hear alt...

alt: mighty fine piece of writing with your latest blog entry... I really enjoyed reading it.

Daviss: Ahhh you saw it, lol Thanks much

alt: no, thank you for sahring those memories & thoughts.

Daviss: lol I have been lax of late with my blogs.. Now I need to get on the stick and get something for my AZ folks

alt: I can see that dog chasing y'all up the tree ... paws & teeth LOL LOL

Daviss: Biggest dog I ever saw in my life alt lol and Doberman's were bad back in the day

alt: you bet they were

Daviss: no such thing then about a pit bull

alt: yep, I had never heard of a pit bull when I was growing up.

Daviss: we had a Cocker Spaniel....tame

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning alt and Daviss

Daviss: Hi there Seventies

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild , what up with you today?

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss read your entry this AM.. lol couldn't get past that chicken and collard greens photo! lol relaxing Actually I'm hoping on some light research on the Callen family

Daviss: 7 7 7 lol you through now with your rhyming Gary's lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol Not at all. But hadn't researched this family past my great grandparents, George Callens and Lucy Scroggins-Callens

Daviss: Are they also in Adams Co?

Seventies Soulchild: Lots and lots of mystery about these people, the Callen family as well as several spellings of the surname within the family. These people settled in Dallas Co. AL Also, the area's history is known for its strong oral history tradition. So I will have to go talk to some people about them. It's inevitable. We're talking really rural families

alt: Dallas Co, is that Selma?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Selma is the county seat. Surrounding counties are Autauga, Wilcox, Perry Co. All part of the Black Belt region of Alabama Hi AYWalton.

AYWalton: Greetings everybody!

alt: Okay, I'm learning the surrounding areas of the counties I might be looking at... at least trying LOL

Daviss: Hello there AYWalton!!

AYWalton: Howdy alt, Daviss, SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: Are you looking into this area as well alt?

alt: hello AYWalton , greetings to you somewhat Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: okay

Daviss: I think that is one of BJ's areas

Seventies Soulchild: Yes it is.

AYWalton: hope you are all well.

Daviss: Did you finally get enough rest AYWalton?

AYWalton: Yes I think so---I was totally exhausted! I am still in Arkansas at my nieces, but finally feel better!

alt: as I do extended and collateral family lines I try to research their origins as well Seventies Soulchild, it takes you to some strange and unfamiliar terrtory

Daviss: take deep breaths for the rest of the week AYWalton

AYWalton: I shall, indeed.

Seventies Soulchild: Understood. That's how I feel about Ohio... thank goodness you're here to help... :}

alt: take care AYWalton, you've got to be "all fixed" for IGHR in Samford coming up soon.

Daviss: Are you going out to any cemeteries today AYWalton?

Seventies Soulchild: So what lines are you looking at in Alabama alt? Well what surnames?

Daviss: lol Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: ???

Daviss: autaunga is that spelled right lol

AYWalton: I am awaiting a call from my friend Carla. We are headed down to the country.

Seventies Soulchild: OMG... lol its au-tau-ga.. no n

AYWalton: Doing at least one cemetery.

Daviss: lol

alt: lots Seventies Soulchild, for starters .. Yarbrough, Foy, Howard, Echols, McRae, Stallworth, Embry, Hall,

Seventies Soulchild: Have fun. Hope the weather is better out there than it is here on the East Coast

AYWalton: weather is beautiful---sunny and not too humid today.

Seventies Soulchild: That's a lot of names

Daviss: great AYWalton....did you bring boots Foy alt?

Seventies Soulchild: alt, are they in the counties we mentioned above?

alt: yep Daviss, Foy from Limestone Co.... the Athens are in particular.

Daviss: I just saw a Foy in my Harrison County "No Land Only Slaves" book

Seventies Soulchild: I know some Hall's and Bodiford's from Foley, AL... Gulf coast area.

Daviss: Born 1826 place unknow...Lydia Foy

alt: some are Seventies Soulchild, Mobile... Autauga, Macon, Dallas

Seventies Soulchild: OK People migrated often between Dallas and Autauga Counties alt.

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild, most of the folks I'm researching with Alabam origins migrated to Ohio in the mid to late 1800's and.or prior to WW I.

Seventies Soulchild: FPOCs?

Daviss: AYWalton, do you have an idea what Cemetery you two will be stomping in today?

Seventies Soulchild: The mid to late 1800 migrators?

alt: a couple of the families are, but most are not FPOC.

AYWalton: Not sure. Possibly down in Sweet Home Arkansas, or Morrilton Arkansas. down the road into the country.

Daviss: Sweet Home Arkansas, that sounds promising

AYWalton: small country town.

Seventies Soulchild: OK alt. What are the surnames of the people who left during WWI? I still have a lot of elders in that place and a cousin who is a funeral director. Folks in their 90's and such. I do know many people wanted to come back and be buried.

alt: around WW I .. Embry, Hall, Wood(s) from Talladega/Calhoun area.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok that's up from Dallas/Autauga counties...

Daviss: brb need a strong cup of coffee

alt: those are just a few Seventies Soulchild, really too many to ention, or that I can recall as of the moment.

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm not surprised that there are people up in that area from Alabama. I told you about my uncle who settled in Akron, OH after the war. WW II

alt: yes, this area held promise for a lot of manufacturing jobs in the early 1900's for AA's..

Seventies Soulchild: Yep. I've found a few distant relatives out that way from MS and AL But interestingly enough, Chicago really is the extended black Mississippi

alt: foundries, steel mills & plants had many jobs for an unskilled labor force.

Daviss: good pay back then

Seventies Soulchild: You know, I think that one of the unique things about this 1940 census is that there will be many people who will be found outside of their home states.

AYWalton: I better run, folks. Have a great day!

alt: and one of the neat features for 1940 asks the question of where a person was in 1935.

Seventies Soulchild: I agree. I know it helped me out when looking at that TN census yesterday. (back to the rhyming Gary's) lol Now if I could find Scott Jr.

Daviss: I still have not found my mama lol or my dad

Seventies Soulchild: I tried to find Farnsworth St. in Detroit, MI

alt: Daviss, I'm sort of 'chilling' out on the 1940 census.. too difficult without an index, browsing ain't my thing.... Wow, have we become lazy or what LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I plead the fif! lol

Daviss: lol I hear ya alt but I have looked at that map for Texas and it is all white for indexing lol

Seventies Soulchild: I don't mind browsing, but seems like something else is always going on.

alt: browsing isn't too bad when you locate an AA community or neighborhood, but otherwise it is tuff LOL

Daviss: found those alt in the 40 but still no mama

Seventies Soulchild: I admit, I try to take shortcuts.. lol

Daviss: I have been through all the ones here in AZ and see many of the families I know

Seventies Soulchild: Like browsing for people who report they were born in MS

alt: at least for me.... most of my folks are in the smaller towns/cities much easir than looking at the larger cities for AA families

Seventies Soulchild: Did you see Elijah Muhammed on the census?

Daviss: I even sent them their parents or grandparents census copies via email

alt: nope

Seventies Soulchild: See that's the problem I have with Detroit.

alt: that's wonderful Daviss, maybe you can get some folks hooked on genealogy, or at least enough to hekp you in your research.

Seventies Soulchild: But I do recall hearing that Farnsworth St. was in the black community AND I'm getting this info from Scott's 1942 WW II draft card Yes and speaking of, how's the phoenix genealogy group?

Daviss: I hope so alt...we need to get our group expanded as it is slow but sure seventies

Seventies Soulchild: We working on that Newsletter??? ah hem...

alt: strike while the iron is hot Daviss and keep the pressure on those who attend for the first time.. keep'em interested enough that they will come back for more.

Daviss: nope not yep thats what I am wondering what to do. Those two last month were not there this month sent out a reminder but ....

Seventies Soulchild: Does the local newspaper give free advertising to non profit clubs and such

Daviss: yes

alt: if possible find something that is personal for them, like a census record, obit or something that holds their interest. and you just have to keep bugging them Daviss. almost to the point of amking a pest of yourself LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: looking around and don't see 'pest" factor in me seventies lol

alt: I do, have and did LOL

Daviss: ho hum

Seventies Soulchild: lol I'm just laughing at alt.. lol

Daviss: ok so I ask once, twice and after that one more time. I am through after that lol

Seventies Soulchild: No patience, huh? lol

alt: gotta show'em this is serious business, plus "misery loves company" LOL

Daviss: Oh I have patience but no when to hold them know

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: I don't think that the fire is here in AZ even though the ancestors come from someplace else

alt: and to keep folk interested you have to show them their 'success' stories and stay away for your's.

Seventies Soulchild: Hey, you know what I forgot to mention. I see someone posted a link to Alabama plantation homes. One of the homes belonged to a William Gardner... I think his daughter may have married Batty Smith. The adopted son of Baxter Smith who freed my FPOC in AL I agree alt.

Daviss: H%&& alt mine is not a good example lol

Seventies Soulchild: LOL

Daviss: I would be brickwalling every month

Seventies Soulchild: So it shouldn't be a problem not to focus on your tree.. ;)

alt: you have a lot of good information to share Daviss, you just have a problem with Mariah, or she has a problem with you LOL LOL lOL

Daviss: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: I think Mariah just don't like Daviss or us for that matter.. lol

alt: sumpin is happening Seventies Soulchild well, I'm outa here gotta go do some shopping... in my Obama T-Shirt from '08 LOL LOL

Daviss: ok so I will change my prayer request and call her big mama instead of saying my grandmother Mariah :?

alt: later's y'all Hi & bye vkn

vkn: Howdy Doody alt daviss seventies

Daviss: hello there vkn!! alt booked on you vkn

vkn: booked ???

Daviss: lol lol meaning left the room

vkn: as in a card game? ahhhhh okies

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn

vkn: Seventies

Daviss: Oh so you know books as in a card game huh vkn

vkn: lol I was raised playing Bridge daviss lol

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: gotta run talk to you all later

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy