Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-06-15

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:05:54
End: 13:22:35
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AmosNY, AYWalton, DoubleVee, Selma, seraph1959, veeee, vicky

3rdthawkins: hello vicky

vicky: hi 3rd! hows it going for you today

3rdthawkins: good, not staying in too long, bout to leave for my flight just checking in

vicky: ahhhh thats good! hope you will even get some new information while you are there

alt: Hi 3rd & vicky

vicky: hi alt!

3rdthawkins: perhaps vicky...........hello alt I'm hoping to also get a chance to visit my father's aunt

vicky: where does she live

3rdthawkins: Scottsdale

vicky: not that far so mabe you will

alt: hey AYWalton... how's school?

3rdthawkins: hello AY

vicky: heyyyy AYWalton!

AYWalton: Good afternoon all.

3rdthawkins: how's it going there around them 'bamers

vicky: did you call and tell her you were coming 3rd

3rdthawkins: no, not yet vicky

AYWalton: I am sitting in a session right now.

alt: really!!! How does that work?

AYWalton: Shamele Jordon is presenting right now on her work documenting a black town in New Jersey. The only incorporated all black town. fascinating information. which bout, vicky? Howdy Ms. Selma!

Selma: Good Tuesday Afternoon folks.............

vicky: He was saying that he may have had an allergic reaction

AYWalton: Oh yes, I think he was bitten by spiders! Lots of buttons!! I am enjoying her session.

vicky: spiders !! sheesh

Selma: I am still so jealous..............

AYWalton: it is going great, Selma, I am in a session right now.

alt: Hi Selma.. got your message about Thacker & answered.

AYWalton: wish you were here, Selma!

Selma: Ok How was the session yesterday, who was it? I saw your tweet AY..........

AYWalton: I have been tweeting off and on, since Sunday.

Selma: What do you mean you are in session right now.........chatting and listening?

AYWalton: I see I need to download Google Earth. yes and I have an internet hook up and am multi-tasking. as always. lol

Selma: Did everyone show up..is the class full?

AYWalton: about 8 of us are surfing and doing everything. I hear that one of the tracks still had some room. This one is full. I have been blogging about it as well.

vicky: Selma now, if she says no don't go throwing nothing lol

AYWalton: myancestorsname.blogspot.com

alt: nice, will read it after chat

Selma: Great will read that later too...

vicky: me too Aywalton

Selma: I saw where you said they had tons of books.........I am jealous, what have you seen good...I will send money.. LOL

alt: Give Shamele our best regards... met her in Ft. Wayne & she hangs out with jtlogan , a former chatter.

vicky: Gillins is a name I have heard before AYWalton

AYWalton: Learning about Lawnside---Shamele has done a good job. she lives in Galveston. Very active in Reedy Chapel AME. Did not know it was the first AME church in TX.

vicky: I met a woman in Houston at my sis in laws mother's funeral who was a Gillins The name stuck with me because she knew one of my great uncles

AYWalton: who was your sister in law's mother?

vicky: Her name was Ella Ree Cox nee McDonald

AYWalton: Got a good tip about documenting cemeteries...........using GPS to document headstones.

3rdthawkins: ok everyone will try to get in for SatNite chat or Sunday Brunch, if not I'll see you at lunch on Monday

Selma: Alt just read your message...but who is the woman writing the blog

vicky: ok 3rd

AYWalton: She is a mystery woman, Selma! Don't have a picture of her. Alt, I sat next to Deborah Abbot yesterday at lunch.

alt: Terry Snyder.. dunno Selma, never met or heard of her before

AYWalton: Told her you said hello.

alt: okay AYWalton, glad you had a chance to meet Debbie.. a fun person, but serious about her genealogy research.

AYWalton: She seems like loads of fun.

Selma: Alt..I thought you could provide her with additional info

AYWalton: gotta run, folks. take care.

alt: doubt it Selma.. unless it is sumpin' later than what Mrs. Norris provided her with.

vicky: looks like it will be a short day today hello AmosNY!

alt: those families she is talking about Selma are so inter-mingled it is hard to describe their relationships LOL

Selma: Vicky got another friend who wants me to help in her research, some of the family appears in Williamson County Texas I was just wondering alt...

AmosNY: Hi Vicky,Selma,alt,

vicky: ok sel, if I can help any let me know

AmosNY: I saw Angela in Facebook.

alt: She's all over the place AmosNY LOL

Selma: Oh alt..my friend's stepfather is buried in the National Cemetery in Dayton Ohio

AmosNY: I've had some response from my Facebook research from a possible member of my Crumpton branch.

vicky: Selma Round Rock is in Williamson County and if I am not mistaken both Sadonya and 3rd research there

alt: okay Selma.. give me a name and I'll locate the gravesite and try and get a pic for her.

seraph1959: Hello folks

alt: Hmmmnnn, not sure I like this "remote' feature Hi seraph1959

seraph1959: ya'll remodeled!

vicky: what remote feature alt yes seraph1959

Selma: Would you really alt..I don't want you to go to too much trouble..I do have the grave number and row

vicky: you had no trouble getting in did you

alt: as 'scattered' as chat conversations are those messages coming in from outside are 'annoyning" Lay it on me Selma LOL

vicky: mabe that is AY

Selma: Is it far from you? Don't want Anita mad at me for sending you on a journey

alt: aren't you seeing the messages from an 'admistrator' vicky... no name, just a message with links contained in the message Naw, only a 30 min drive Selma and I go to that area frequently

Selma: It ain't vicky..it ain't me.........Only the SHADOW knows

vicky: yes alt, I see them. not sure where they are coming from.

alt: me neither vicky

seraph1959: sorry mail man is different too and loud

Selma: Must be Mizz VEE

vicky: loud! turn your speaker down

alt: I would think so vicky

seraph1959: ok

Selma: So what are you doing with all your extra time seraph?

seraph1959: yard work, crafting, cooking , going to parties , organizing for research trip to Texas archives

Selma: Wow........you will be exhausted (but refreshed) when the summer is over

seraph1959: yes , don't mind this kind of tired :-)

alt: time you finish with all of that it will take time to go back to school seraph1959 LOL

seraph1959: yep where has June gone

alt: now I like the 'party' task LOL

seraph1959: I posted the pic on facebook of my sister's 60th b-day

AmosNY: Woman on Millionaire lost because she and celebrity Margaret Cho thought SMU was in AL because Texas didn't sound southern. LOL LOL She left with 5k.

vicky: seraph1959 did you go to Booker T in H-town?

seraph1959: no grew up in San Antonio

vicky: oh yeah, thats right sorry

AmosNY: Speaking of Facebook I was texting someone in London and they wound up in China. lol

seraph1959: vicky was Paradise one of the funeral homes where bodies were moved too?

vicky: yes

seraph1959: LOL Amos

alt: Technology of social networking moves too fast for me LOL

AmosNY: Valencia, again with a new incarnation. lol

vicky: but they are clueless seraph1959. We tried to get info from them when I was there

seraph1959: Hello DoubleVee (vkn ? ) your rap name?

vicky: lol hi doublevee

DoubleVee: Hey hey hey so yall not liking "remote"

Selma: Vee are you sending us these remote messages?

alt: Hello Double'Vee... Hiding behind those Foster Grants .. I still recognize you LOL

seraph1959: ok the grounds were very well kept , but do they have records?

vicky: no, no records

DoubleVee: Selma that was good info

seraph1959: what a shame , it is very well maintained vicky

Selma: Oh yes it was.......I agree, we just couldn't figure out who was sending

vicky: we also went to oakwood and walked through the ones they had Seraph1959

DoubleVee: as you said Selma "the shadow do " lol lol lol

vicky: The grounds are well kept there also but the ones that were removed for them to keep were not they were kind of hidden in the back and full of weeds broken etc etc

alt: it broke what little concentration powers I have DoubleVee.. couldn't get back to the train of the Chat thought wondering where and what was happening

seraph1959: I am going to look at the archive site for Tx today to see what my focus should be , I mainly want to look at the records of the lawyer who had Celia's manumission in his papers ...who knows he may have other things

vicky: They had no idea whose graves they were

DoubleVee: ahhhhh ok alt

alt: but that's just me DoubleVee

Selma: He just might seraph...worth the effort to take a look

DoubleVee: One vote counts alt lol specially if only one is voting lol

vicky: mabe if there was a little warning first doublevee.. mabe in red stating msg

alt: with no name attached to the message I thought we were being invaded by aliens LOL

Selma: Now that we know it won't be a shock VV

vicky: I was looking around for my tennis doublevee just in case I had to take off was gonna grab Selma's hand lol

alt: vicky was gonna leave us ... quickly LOL

DoubleVee: better grab her walking stick lol

vicky: thats how fast I would have been running

AmosNY: What was disconcerting to me is the download on the cemetery was 33 pages. Should I save it or download in the midst of our session? lol

Selma: Have you figured out why rcs can't get in the room Double V I just saved it in a favorite place to read or print later Amos

DoubleVee: ahhhhhh good question Amos

AmosNY: You have to figure out the entry point. lol That's what I did. Then figure out gaining reentry instead of leaving the session.

DoubleVee: Selma I be pumping my brakes from a high hill to slow my roll... not yet

Selma: Could he come in with another name?

vicky: what if they reinstall Java doublevee

alt: ouch!!! that's tough on the heels DoubleVee

DoubleVee: Sounds like a firewall issue Vicky

vicky: for both he and lisa

Selma: Is this the Lisa I know

DoubleVee: I am speed emailing with the chat peeps 2day

vicky: lisa on forum

alt: I seem to get into chat quicker and easier

Selma: Me too alt

seraph1959: vicky were you researching Rusk State hospital?

vicky: no I was interested in Terrell do you have a goodie Seraph1959

alt: and the screen is much 'clearer' & brighter... Thanks

seraph1959: no saw it mentioned with penitentiary records

alt: Oops, I did sumpin' wrong, but got back in quicker than usual

vicky: how much time do I have seraph1959 before you leave for austin

alt: but I did lose the previous postings in chat

vicky: Don't forget they may have some Juneteenth festivities there

DoubleVee: alt yes gotta figure out the scroll back config

alt: don't overload on my account DoubleVee

Selma: Gotta run folks have a great day

seraph1959: I will be there on Monday , I will have computer with me

DoubleVee: naw naw alt one size fits all so to speak If one is satisfied so be the rest

seraph1959: we will see if we can swing the hotel cost for weekend , the week is paid for my sister's job :-)

vicky: wonder if you will be able to take in your digital camera

alt: okay veevee LOL

seraph1959: I will ask all that going to call since all records may not be available due to remodeling

AmosNY: See you all tonight.

alt: laters AmosNY

DoubleVee: okies amos

alt: I'm outta here too

vicky: ok alt

DoubleVee: I like the AmosNY thing could be catching AltOH vickyAR SeraphTX DoubleveeGA

seraph1959: hmm that might be a good idea

vicky: hey I may not want to be associated with AZ with all this mess going on here

DoubleVee: oops VickyAZ

seraph1959: or research states

DoubleVee: Also a good idea Seraph

seraph1959: I wonder if I should make my scope narrow or try to see all they have LOL in the archive maybe a different topic each day?

DoubleVee: I would be vknalvaflgatn

vicky: lol lol lol

seraph1959: LOL DoubleVee

DoubleVee: lol well you started it Seraph lol

vicky: oh they had another 5.6 along Mx and San Diego way this morn

seraph1959: whoa that's a big one

vicky: too much shifting going on japan india and now Mex/SD Ca

DoubleVee: Vicky it all means "God dont be liking ugly"

vicky: they are real ugly here in Az but I dont want no quakin lol

DoubleVee: Get thee to higher ground lol

vicky: now they want to kick the kids who are legal citizens out if parents are illegal

seraph1959: These are subject reports by various officials or outsiders, dating 1865-1908. There is a series of reports on the activities of two financial agents of the penitentiary, a survey of freedmen in the prison just after the Civil War, and several inspection reports and other items concerning the construction of the East Texas or Rusk Penitentiary. Organization of the Records These records are organized into four subseries: Reports on activities of financial agents, [ca. 1866]-1867 Survey of freedmen, 1865-1868 this sounds interesting

DoubleVee: Seraph I am so glad you are back dont we Vicky ?

vicky: yep we sure are

seraph1959: :-) had a rough patch there for a while down but not out !

DoubleVee: where are they found seraph

vicky: vee, where is Irita? Is she OK meant to say doublevee

DoubleVee: not sure vicky

seraph1959: this is all stuff at the archive, I wonder if they would just let me in the room, I wanna look in all the boxes LOL

vicky: a box a day seraph1959 lol please send me the link seraph1959 where you are now

DoubleVee: and take an inventory of what is in what box. Maybe you could make it a project Seraph

seraph1959: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/tslac/20053/tsl-20053.html they have inventory DV of the what ...it is the who that might be our folks... I am interested in the prison records since gr gr gr died in 1880 seems like their are lots of reports on the health standards he died of dysentery trying to find info on the specific prison farm he was to go to Juno Wells I have the ledger not sure if he ever made it to the prison farm since he died 3 months after arrival

vicky: hmm so mabe he may be at Rusk you think

veeee: window froze

seraph1959: no was on huntsville ledger , will have to revist paper memory kinda short on specifc details

vicky: did you get just the ledger with his name or with the entire population seraph1959

seraph1959: just one page but they have the entire ledger though veeee just remembered jen gave me a message if I were to see you

vicky: There was an Edward Davis that I am trying to locate from Harrison Cty but not sure where he went

seraph1959: she has not had computer since mid May , there was a project that you gave her , she said she has not forgotten

veeee: I be missing her 2 whew well thanx a million

vicky: I am also not sure if he were mine either. I think he was sentenced to death

veeee: Tell her Alonzo is in South Korea with company

seraph1959: hopefully they can fix her computer if not she has to get a new one , she thinks she was able to save her files ok will write that down cause I know I will forget

vicky: I hope khathu's mother will be ok

seraph1959: do you have a time period vicky?

veeee: yall be good as well as careful

seraph1959: is she ill vicky?

vicky: will have to check yes had a setback

seraph1959: so sorry to hear that

vicky: gonna run too seraph1959. I have to run an errand

seraph1959: ok see ya

vicky: I will look and see what I need a little later on

seraph1959: ok

*TuesNite

Start: 20:51:08
End: 22:19:38
Chatters: AYWalton, Ingrid_Doweary, keli1, Nadasue, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicky

Nadasue: So is that you there, FTG? Will be back in a bit

keli1: okay

Nadasue: Actually, I'm still sitting here...lol. Is that you?

keli1: yes this is shelley murphy/family tree girl

Nadasue: Great! Never realized that was you! :) I've been trying to get back in all this time... Thanks for your help.

keli1: lol, yes it is me, I have not been here in a long time typically get in on the Sunday morning bunch

Nadasue: I'm not going to stay too long.. need to chill out a bit and rest my back. Gonna go in the other room soon to watch the game. Yeah, I usually stop in then too. And I guess I'll come to lunch bunch sometimes after this week, since I'll be off.

keli1: game starts at 9 right?

Nadasue: Yeah, it's about to start. They've already done the NA and introduced the starters

keli1: I am routing for Boston

Nadasue: Awww... I'm a Lakers girl. :)

keli1: i used to be, but so tired of some of them...

Nadasue: I see the 'ville is having a nice Juneteenth celebration... Friday looks great, but that's my last day of work so I know I won't make it up there

keli1: yep, I will be in Blacksburg, they asked me to do a genealogy thing, but had to decline, they do a nice event

Nadasue: Maybe I can make it next year. I haven't heard of anything around here, but next weekend we have the African-American festival and the AA Genealogy folks are going to be here doing

keli1: did you join the AAHGS group in your area? there is something coming up on the 26 are you going?

Nadasue: a workshop and such Yes, I did, and that's what I just typed about...lol!

keli1: lol, yes, so you met Selma

Nadasue: The festival is every year... it is for the Sickle Cell Foundation Yes, I did, and we live basically right around the corner from each other.

keli1: wonderful, she is great

Nadasue: She seems very nice, and everyone speaks so highly of her. :)

keli1: she has been doing research for years, lots of knowledge in there are you going to MD in Oct?

Nadasue: I don't know, but I think I'm going to try. I need to take a look at it.

keli1: hi Vicki and Selma

Nadasue: Hi Vicky. Hi Selma. :)

Selma: Good evening keli, Nadasue and vicky

vicky: hello keli1,nadasue and selma

Nadasue: Selma your ears must've been itching!

keli1: Selma are you going to MD in Oct?

Selma: Were you all talking about me..I can't scroll back, so it better have been nice

Nadasue: keli1 Is MD on a weekend or weekdays? Yep! It was nice! :)

keli1: it was nice...

Selma: Yep...I plan to you mean to AAHGS

vicky: lol @ selma

keli1: yes,

Nadasue: weekend or weekdays for aahgs?

keli1: I think the dates are 7-10th I called to book a room and the block has not been done yet

Selma: Usually a friday and saturday, they usually have a small thing on Thursday evening.. dip and chips..

keli1: I wish I was with Angela right now and boo on the dip and chips!

Nadasue: I am going to put it into my plans. My daughter will be living up there then, so I'll probably just do hotel on Friday

keli1: it is the highest cost conference I know of I support them, involved in a new chapter, but they are expensive

Selma: Nadasue, what I said last week about the draft cards for AA in World War I, having a edge clipped off was right

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Keli1, Nadasue, Selma and Vicky

Nadasue: Oh, wow. I forgot to go back and look at mine. Will do that shortly.

keli1: I am thinking of submitting my WW2 research for a presentation

Selma: Yes..it is but it does include all your meals, thats what one of our members told me when I was trying to decide wether to go or not for the first time... LOL

keli1: that is one way to look at it

Selma: I enjoyed everyone I went to.. LOL

keli1: wonder who the guess speaker will be I loved it, that is where I met you at had my momma with me, she just turned 80

Selma: Happy Birthday to Mom

Nadasue: Hey ya'll I'm having puter issues so if I seem to be slow or not responding, blame it on the machine

keli1: thank you, I will tell her, she won't go with me this year, lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Congratulations and Happy Birthday to your Mom.

Selma: So keli how is the organizing going on with the new chapter?

Nadasue: I haven't been able to get in here for over a week. keli1 got me in here tonight, but now my browser is going nuts!

keli1: thank you...she is now the oldest sibling in her family

Ingrid_Doweary: Sounds like the operating system is dragging, Nadasue

keli1: Central Virginia Chapter is wonderful, we are rocking and rolling

Nadasue: Ladies, if any of you were in here the last time I was here, I was telling about a site where I'd seen information on NC lodges

keli1: we decided to travel around central va and have our meetings

Ingrid_Doweary: That's good Keli1. I was just assessing my experiences. NC lodges, Nadasue?

keli1: each county a member is researching we plan on meetings being there

Nadasue: I want to share the site with you in case you are interested, so here it is http://www.grandlodge-nc.org/education/history/LodgeHistoryV1.PDF Yes, Ingrid_Doweary I was discussing how I'd found evidence of some of my ancestors as members of one of the lodges in Louisburg, yet that lodge is not listed in this document

keli1: Ingrid your experiences being a member of AAHGS?

Nadasue: Which counties are involved keli1? Is it too long a list to share?

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh thank you, Nadasue. I'm collecting information on subjects club organizational affiliations.

keli1: interesting Nadasue, that is a great file, thanks

Nadasue: You're most welcome!

keli1: I am searching woodmen of the world, a black group, that allowed women..

Nadasue: YW keli1 There is a chapter of them here in Hampton, right down the street from where I grew up. They had/have a building on Aberdeen Rd.

keli1: Central Va counties: Fluvanna, Louisa, Greene, Nelson, Albemarle, Orange, Madison

Ingrid_Doweary: I don't have much experience with AAhGs. My work schedule tends to keep me from being active. I was speaking of getting certified as a genealogist and studying for the archivist certification exam, Keli1.

Selma: Nadasue..the Woodman have a chapter in Hampton

Nadasue: Okay, so they are all researching counties right there in Central Va? Such is not the case with "our" chapter is it Selma?

Ingrid_Doweary: I need to contact C.Howard about the local meetings.

Selma: Nope Nadasue..we meet in Hampton, but folks are researching all over

Nadasue: Selma yes, that is what I was saying. There was a building (lodge?) right down the street from where I grew up. I remember the little sign on it well I never knew what it was though.

Selma: You can still attend the National Conference INgrid, whether you are a member or not

Nadasue: I can look when I go down there tomorrow or Thursday to see if it still has their sign on it

AYWalton: Good evening all.

Nadasue: Most of us seem to have roots in NC

Selma: Good evening AY........

Ingrid_Doweary: Good evening, AY. How are you?

AYWalton: greetings from Birmingham everyone!

keli1: good for you, I hope to finish one day on the Cg

Nadasue: Hi there AYWalton! How's Samford?

Selma: Is this the tuesday evening Samford Update AY

AYWalton: howdy, Ingrid, keli1, Nadasue, Ms. Selma!!! Ms. Vicky!!! lol---well I just updated it on the blog. http://tinyurl.com/24zmeg8

Selma: OK..I iwll read the blog

Nadasue: Oh, good. Will check it out.

AYWalton: with pictures! this is clearly the place to be, genealogically.

keli1: how exciting!

Nadasue: AY, I just gave the link to that site that I was talking about last week re: the NC lodge history. Here is is if you want it: http://www.grandlodge-nc.org/education/history/LodgeHistoryV1.PDF

AYWalton: a quite genealogical gem. Everybody is here---Christine Rose, John Colletta, of course Elizabeth Mills,

vicky: Is this your first time there AYWalton?

AYWalton: and tons of folks. oh that's great, Nadasue! thanks. yes, myfirst time. wish now that I had attended earlier.

Nadasue: Are there many there who were just at that Jamboree thing?

Selma: Great post AY

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks AY for the link.

AYWalton: I am sure there were, Nadasue. I saw some on Twitter saying that they were leaving California for B'ham.

keli1: I've been keeping up with your postings, it sounds wonderful how big is the class

AYWalton: it is fantastic! You need to be here!! about 40 in the Afr. Am track.

vicky: the AA portion is every two years I hear

keli1: Ingrid are you in DC?

Ingrid_Doweary: Of course we need to be there.

AYWalton: Plus there are lots of Afr. Am folks not in our track---they have done it before and are in other tracks.

keli1: I wish I was there, and will be there hopefully next yr

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Keli1, I'm in DC.

AYWalton: Selma----the Chicago gang is here.

Selma: I bet they are AY......

keli1: you are only 2 hours from me.. Charles came down for my chapter meeting

AYWalton: and they are not taking the AA track. They are doing other tracks.

Selma: I will think about going next year.

AYWalton: they have done the AA track next year.

keli1: me too Selma

Ingrid_Doweary: AY, have you seen Jeff or Daphne Johnson there?

AYWalton: it is good.

Nadasue: keli1 23-16 :)

AYWalton: I don't know them personally---so I may have seen them, but just don't know who they are.

keli1: is that the next year dates Nadasue?

vicky: ok so the tracks are each year ?

AYWalton: some are every year.

Selma: Yes, they have this every year vicky

AYWalton: the Afr. Am track is every other year.

vicky: oic

Selma: Are you having to do homework AY

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, they are my cousins from the Lidell group, AAGHS I believe.

AYWalton: sort of.

keli1: every other year, so I will go in 2012, I think that is what Ourgeorgiaroots said

AYWalton: we were able to solve our group assignment though. we had some brick wall tasks.

keli1: good

AYWalton: We have broken through one of the walls, I think. wb Nadasue. did you get bumped? lol

keli1: if a wall there is no other questions to ask, it is a challenge if there are other questions still arising

Ingrid_Doweary: That sounds challenging. WB Nadasue. is your operating system acting up?

Nadasue: Aww.. now I can't see anything! No more scrolling up, huh? Yes, but only with Afrigeneas.

keli1: hang in ther Nadasue

Nadasue: keli1 that was the score of the game

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry to hear that.

keli1: got it, lol Go Boston!

Nadasue: Thx all... Keli1 got me in here tonight, but I've been trying for over a week No.......keli! LA is up!!!!!:p

Selma: Do you know what the problem was Nadasue?

Ingrid_Doweary: One of my Hughes relatives who has been researching with Ancestry, sent me an email via Ancestry. I think she finally remembered me.

keli1: I know I have it on, still rooting for Boston!!!!

Nadasue: No, but keli1 suggested that I scroll down and sign in under the other chat so I did that and then transfer into genealogy chat but the interface is a bit different than it was before

keli1: Angela, is there a test at the end?

Nadasue: That's great, Ingrid

AYWalton: Oh I have a question---but nobody in the room does Alabama. if vkn comes in I shall ask her.

Nadasue: Oh! Did anyone here to 23andMe?

AYWalton: Not a test, but we have our assignments.

Selma: But I have Franzines book on Alabama AY.......LOL

AYWalton: I have not used that one, Nadasue.

vicky: not I nadasue

Ingrid_Doweary: The reunion is next month in Joliet, IL. I'm trying make arrangements to attend if I work the funding.

AYWalton: oh Selma there is a book I saw on Jamaican ancestry, looked good and I almost bought it.

keli1: that is sooo...good I can't wait

AYWalton: I have a stack of books that I have bought.

keli1: lol, I love books! can't live without them

Ingrid_Doweary: What's the title of Francine's book+

AYWalton: I will take photos of the bookstore session tomorrow.

Nadasue: Oh, okay, well I won't start a discussion, but I WILL share with you all that I was a bit surprised at my Ancestry painting results

Selma: That is one of the best parts of the big conferences..the BOOKS Oh good...

keli1: yes it is Selma, yes it is...

Selma: Painting?

Nadasue: Yes, it's basically the thing that you saw on Faces of America when they told the celebrities the % of Ancestry they had from where

AYWalton: I bought a book on Black Soldiers who Served in White Regiments During the Civil War.

Selma: Gotta find the book Ingrid

AYWalton: Dred & Harriet Scott--Their Family Story.

vicky: oh Dred Scott

AYWalton: Walking With the Ancestors.

keli1: who is the author of the Black Soldiers one?

Nadasue: So..... (disturbingly) I found that I have 48% European Ancestry

AYWalton: and I got 2 books by Christine Rose

Nadasue: 40% African 11% Asian

vicky: why are you disturbed nada lol it is what it is

keli1: That would be kind of normal Nadasue, you be an American!

AYWalton: the Black Soldier book was written by Juanita Patience Moss.

Nadasue: LOL.. It means i have more research to do!!!!

vicky: Is Christine and James related AYWalton?

Ingrid_Doweary: Don't be disturbed about that Nadasue. Some of us have more or less European ancestry.

AYWalton: and you are experientially black, so like vicky said---it is what it is.

keli1: okay I have that one, she is the one who contacted bob oconnor and said you missed a black soldier at Andersonville, lol

AYWalton: but black folks have to do white folks research if our families were enslaved, anyway.

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks, AY. I have encountered that title.

keli1: I want to get mine and assume my european is higher than 50% but you never know

Selma: What I like to call "everything you ever wanted to know about white folk and then some"

keli1: I am always looking for white till I find they are black/colored, never know until I find them

Ingrid_Doweary: I second that, Selma.

keli1: well said Selma!! that is what it is That should be a book title

AYWalton: Selma I also got Mary Jackson-Fears latest book, Civil War and LIving History Reenacting about People of Color.

Ingrid_Doweary: Good, AY. I have that one also.

Selma: Hadn't heard about her new one AY

vicky: a lady also told me several yrs ago if the white folks are missing during the civil war they should look for them in the AA records since they were over the soldiers

AYWalton: I will blog about some of the book titles that I got as well.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hmm, that makes sense.

keli1: that will be good,

Ingrid_Doweary: Fantastic, AY.

vicky: AYWalton we sure appreciate you getting back with us on the happenings

AYWalton: I am trying to keep the folks in the loop.

Ingrid_Doweary: Thank you, AY

keli1: I love the tweeting, have you notice any other folks tweeting

Seventies Soulchild: Hello all!

keli1: Hello soulchild

AYWalton: this is kind of a well, kept secret--though it is not a secret---but this is much better than NGS/FGS kind of thing.

Ingrid_Doweary: Keli1, I barely manage to use Facebook.

AYWalton: Hey SoulChile.

Selma: Its much more focused

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton, Ingrid_Doweary, keli1, Nadasue, Selma, and vicky

Selma: Evening Seventies

AYWalton: not that much, in fact, not at all, keli1.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Selma, that's the way I look at it.

vicky: hello Seventies

keli1: you leading the charge...love it, it is better, good, what about better than Archives?

AYWalton: well going to the Archives is doing the research. We are not researching, we are talking about excellent resources to assist us in doing our research. BUT---in comparison to other events---this is by far the best, in my opinion.

Nadasue: Okay, I'm back. Hello there Seventies!

AYWalton: Now for research---gracious I have TONS to do at the National Archives. Between what Selma sent to me a couple of weeks ago, and what I was using last week at ArchivesII, I will be at the Archives for weeks to come.

Seventies Soulchild: AYWalton, you're going to be looking for those Civil War pensions you mentioned last week?

vicky: but you will be loving it AYWalton for sure

keli1: I just received my great great grandfather's complete pension record

vicky: great keli1

Seventies Soulchild: That's great keli1

Selma: Wow keli..have you read it all yet

Nadasue: Oh, that's fantastic Keli. How long did it take?

keli1: ordered online, yes read it all, he was denied for several years and finally got it and died, then his wife petitioned for it

Ingrid_Doweary: Did you, Keli!, Wonderful!

AYWalton: not at all, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: ok AYWalton.

AYWalton: I have to get to them---which is another reason why I have to get back again. That is downtown DC---while the other records are at Archives II.

keli1: about an inch and a half thick

Nadasue: Which war, keli1?

keli1: Civil War

AYWalton: you must be thrilled, keli1, to have it.

Seventies Soulchild: that sounds about right keli1

Nadasue: The ones I wanted are with the VA, but I haven't been able to get on it yet. First priority for first week off (next week).

Ingrid_Doweary: From what the USCT descendants' research experience, that was a common practice, Keli1.

Seventies Soulchild: Hopefully you will get a lot of information and perhaps a DC for your gg grandmother

keli1: now need to order his regular record, I am looking for info on his father was hoping for something

Nadasue: Did you get any new info from the file, keli?

Seventies Soulchild: you mean his service record?

keli1: only that pain he suffered and locations of his service, neighbors names, etc

Seventies Soulchild: maybe you can get his DC as well Those neighbors & witnesses could be relations.

Nadasue: 40- 23 keli1

Ingrid_Doweary: Does Virginia have their state archves on line.

keli1: he is not colored soldier, he is white, on my momma's side of the family

AYWalton: well folks I am getting sleepy, and have to be up early. have a great evening everyone.

vicky: she did get his pension didn't she keli1

Nadasue: I'm heading out too, folks. Glad to be back in the chat though. See you again soon. :)

Seventies Soulchild: bye Nadasue

Ingrid_Doweary: What I'm getting at is, perhaps the Civil ware volunteer enlistment records for Virginia are digitized and online

vicky: nite

keli1: his name is Ahira H. Worden, his son is my grandfather who married a mulatto, my grandmother Irene A. Davis yes she got thepension, $20 bucks a month

Ingrid_Doweary: ware=war

keli1: it took her a few years to get it as well, darn shame what folks had to go through

vicky: does anyone have that calculator that tells you what that meand in todays world meand = means

keli1: i am not sure Ingrid, check the Library of Virginia and the ARchives

Seventies Soulchild: $20 bucks a month? My folks only got $12

vicky: I used to have it in my favorites

keli1: there is a calculator online, I had another ancestor who stole $21 bucks in bonds in 1838

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Keli1 that's what descendant researchers have found as well. But some folks only got $10.00 per month.

Selma: You mean enlistment records for Civil War INgrid

keli1: $10 for a pension or for service?

Seventies Soulchild: Pension

keli1: hmmm maybe different was because of race?

Seventies Soulchild: Absolutely!

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Selma in reference to the digitized records. Yesl Keli1, that was what I heard a couple of descendants share from there research-Louisiana and Mississippi.

vicky: or severity of the wounds mabe

Ingrid_Doweary: Absolutely, different due to race.

keli1: that would make an interesting study to compare, not just service but also pension files if only I have the time

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes a number of the veterans developed medical conditions that impacted their digestive systems rendering them disabled.

Seventies Soulchild: And PTSD

keli1: his pension was because of chronic diarehea suffered dearly, poor man

Ingrid_Doweary: As soon as the videos of the descendants' presentations are available on YouTube, I'll link you all to them.

keli1: sounds good

Seventies Soulchild: He got $20 for chronic diarrhea? My ancestor got $10 and he had all sorts of ailments he couldn't even WORK!

Ingrid_Doweary: That's was the trend I heard them tell of.

keli1: he couldn't work either, lol, how interesting, it was interesting reading all of the doctor reports, etc got it in Arkansas

Seventies Soulchild: They kept denying & denying he was suffering from these ailments although several witnesses and I mean SEVERAL testified that he had spells of days upon end where he couldn't work.

Ingrid_Doweary: How many testimonies accompanied the a pension application.

keli1: same thing for mine

Ingrid_Doweary: ? See Keli1, I told the research yielded common experiences.

keli1: it was required to have testimonies and witnesses, doctors statements, etc, they kept denying him for years

Ingrid_Doweary: told you that is.

keli1: he never got cured and died from it eventually

Ingrid_Doweary: So how many years of waiting did this involve?

keli1: let me check

vicky: Do you have a civil war ancestor also Ingrid? and or Selma

Selma: I haven't found one so far

Ingrid_Doweary: One descendant presentation stated that the pension system was relocated from the the war department to the department of interior.

vicky: me either

keli1: I want to say over 20 yrs

Ingrid_Doweary: There was an ancestor for my father-in-law.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes it was, not sure when though.

keli1: or more, he got it in 1895, arrived home in Sept 1865, walked all the way home from Ark.

vicky: where was home keli1

keli1: Oceana County Michigan

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah, Keli1. That was the average period of tiime the Descendant presenters related from their research. 1867-1904.

vicky: wow!

keli1: about 40 yrs to get his pension he died 2 yrs after that

Ingrid_Doweary: Yup. That was some distance you stated there, Keli1.

Selma: Gotta go folks..have a good evening

keli1: he got it in 1912 and died in 1916

Ingrid_Doweary: Keli1, did your ancestor's widow have to start a new application process to receive his pension?

keli1: discharged in August 1865 Yes she had to file a widow's pension that was included in his pension record every doctor and testimony was in this file, it was unreal and so sad

vicky: I can imagine keli

Ingrid_Doweary: Well now you have quite a collection of document to preserve and publish. I'm sure it was tragic.

keli1: it might be nice to publish this as an example, actually do a white and black soldier adn sum it up it is public record and compare to today's process

Ingrid_Doweary: A comparative analysis, Vicky? WB Seventies.

vicky: u mean keli lol

Seventies Soulchild: Are you talking about with regard to the pension files? Or rather pensions?

keli1: yes, I would like to compare a color'd soldier file to a white soldier's file and then bring in today's pension process wonder if I can get a total on denials

Ingrid_Doweary: Right, Vicky. It's interesting while reading about your findings, I felt as though I was listening to those presentations again.

Seventies Soulchild: I would bet that the odds are the colored soldiers got shorted on a consistent basis.

Ingrid_Doweary: The information about the application process was so similar in about three of the presentations I attended.

keli1: comparing civil war to now?

vicky: gotta run peeps

Seventies Soulchild: I think that this would've gone up through even Vietnam.

Ingrid_Doweary: You can confirm that with the research on both periods.

keli1: I am sure it might not change as much, same people in control

Seventies Soulchild: Agree. Ok its after 10 here ladies, I gotta get going... lots of work in the AM

keli1: I an do like the Valley of the Shadow, looked at two counties during the war, interesting

Ingrid_Doweary: So here's a question I have. Where pensions compensation for services performed during the Civil war?

Seventies Soulchild: good question.

Ingrid_Doweary: Nite 70s

keli1: they looked at Franklin Co Pa to Augusta Co. VA during the civil war

Seventies Soulchild: nite

Ingrid_Doweary: Valley of the Shadow is the book title, Keli1?

keli1: yes I am sure it was, they can't pay for something not service related that was Ahira's dispute, it was related to and caused by something during his service no not a book,

Ingrid_Doweary: What does the Valley of the Shadow reference?

keli1: http://valley.lib.virginia.edu comparsions of two counties during the civil war

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay, thank you. I'll definitely review it.

keli1: yes a good website and example.. well I am getting ready to go as well, need to work on my paper, it was great chatting, keep in touch,

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks for an interesting discussion, Keli1. I'll talk with you nexttime. Nite

keli1: good night!

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy