Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-05-15 Soldier Gets A Stone

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:21
End: 12:40:47
Chatters: AYWalton, bbenn, Daviss, Seventies Soulchild

bbenn: Hi Seventies Soulchild! How are you today?

AYWalton: Good afternoon, bbenn, SoulChile. Hope you are all doing well.

bbenn: Hi AYWalton!

AYWalton: howdy Daviss!

bbenn: Hi Daviss

Daviss: Good day to you AYWalton and bbenn! Hi Seventies! How's everyone?!

bbenn: I finally had a chance to ck out the Gates show last night.

AYWalton: what did you think about it, bbenn?

Daviss: What did you think

bbenn: I don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to discussing enslaved folks...

AYWalton: quite true, nothing funny about slavery.

bbenn: How did the researchers conclude that Elizabeth Banks was the ancestor of Wanda S? I missed the additional evidence.

AYWalton: there were some interesting remarks made. I was not certain myself.

bbenn: I also think that they missed an opportunity to note that FPOC may have owned their own family members and a way of protecting them...

AYWalton: my guess is that she had given birth to a mulatto child---but I was waiting for someone to explain the purchase of family was a form of protection of family. I think that next week is the last episode for the season. and NBC has cancelled next year's run of WDYTYA.

bbenn: This show really missed an opportunity to educate. Some statements can be misinterpreted as fact.

Daviss: That was my biggest beef about the show bbenn and Angela

bbenn: Anytime we have a chance to educate, we should do it!

Daviss: If you noticed when the part came about ownership, it was joke time for gates

AYWalton: and of course it is interpreted through the lens of the researchers, and the view of Ms. Cerni will be quite different from the lens of a researcher who is also a descendant of enslaved people. yes and the joke about reparations.

Daviss: I think Wanda was shocked about the owning...

bbenn: Yes, that was a very uncomfortable segment to watch. Slavery was not and is not a joking matter!

Daviss: that is feeding fodder to those that say we were owners as well Period!!

AYWalton: he would not DARE to have a Jewish guest on and joke about the holocaust.

bbenn: I could not gauge where Wanda was coming from when she learned that her family owned slaves. He could have shared more about this with her and the audience.

AYWalton: But it must be remembered, that he is not an historian. he is an English professor. he does not have analytical skills to interpret historical data.

Daviss: thats what I am talking about bbenn she had a shocked and perplexed look on her face yeah but durn Tyler would have told her

bbenn: However, he has a responsibility to be accurate and accountable to the issues he has chosen to represent.

Daviss: I am sure that in his travels he has heard the reasons before

AYWalton: perhaps so. But that does not mean that he has absorbed some of that.

bbenn: I wonder where ancestry will put their dollars now that WDYTYA is canceled?

Daviss: sheesh AYWalton

AYWalton: well they just spent $100 million to purchase Archives.com, and their stock dropped 12% yesterday when NBC made their announcement to drop the series.

bbenn: It did? Perhaps they will reconsider or come up with another show.

Daviss: another show is what I am thinking

bbenn: I'll take a little of that moneylol lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Hello AYWlaotn, bbenn and Daviss

Daviss: hello back seventies

AYWalton: back... just stepped away to answer the doorbell for a second. I got a neat email and phone call today.

Daviss: The number one hobby in the world bbenn, they have to think of something visual

AYWalton: A woman in Illinois saw my blog post about a civil war soldier, and she has found his grave in Springfield---not far from where Abraham Lincoln is buried.

bbenn: oK, I will come up with something visuallol lol

AYWalton: he was a USCT and he has an unmarked grave.

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: That is neat.

bbenn: That's great!

Seventies Soulchild: So I read today that there is a killer on HWY 55 in Mississippi.

Daviss: nice to hear that AYWalton

AYWalton: oh gracious!!! Bbenn, won't you be on that highway this week?

bbenn: yes

Daviss: I think I heard that on the news yesterday Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Be careful and don't stop for the police...

AYWalton: Is he a sniper, SoulChile?

bbenn: What do you mean - don't stop for the police?

Seventies Soulchild: No someone posing as a police officer in a white Crown Vic I think the news said. Do not stop for the police on a rural road. Drive until you get to a gas station, restaurant etc.

AYWalton: wow that is crazy.

bbenn: ok

AYWalton: Hope they catch him soon.

Seventies Soulchild: Or a well lit, populated area.

AYWalton: be careful, bbenn. You all packed?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes and by all means if you have a pistol put it in the glove compartment.

Daviss: bbenn where are you on your way

bbenn: Not packed and I need to log off to get back to my packing. Heading down South... bye !

Daviss: what do you mean get back to packing... You don't wait until the last min lol

AYWalton: lol, why that's my style, Daviss. I am leaving Thursday and I have not started yet. but I know what I have to take---at least in my head. lol Daviss, and SoulChile are you familiar with the photo of the Black Civil War soldier who was wounded---and lost and arm and part of his leg? It is a famous photo from the Civil War.

Seventies Soulchild: No, I don't recall seeing that AYWalton.

AYWalton: Turns out that he returned to live in Illinois where he enlisted, and died there in the 1890s. He is buried in an unmarked grave, not far from the site where Abraham Lincoln is buried.

Seventies Soulchild: Are you going to update this info on your blog? that's a nice bit of information.

AYWalton: well they are running a story about him tomorrow in the local Springfield Illiois paper, and the lady who found his gravesite contacted me. I have also heard from the reporter, and I will be writing about it on the blog. this man was severely wounded in a major battle of the Civil War---the Crater at Petersburg. and to have no stone marking his grave and to lie a few feet away from Abe Lincoln no less. Well they will be getting him a stone.

Seventies Soulchild: I went by there AYWalton a few weeks ago.

AYWalton: I told the woman that I want to be invited to the dedication of the stone. we shall see. here is the photo. http://blog.encyclopediavirginia.org/2009/07/13/well-gen-let-me-kill-one-more/

Seventies Soulchild: Crater Rd. In Petersburg, VA.

AYWalton: it is a famous image.

Daviss: dang

Seventies Soulchild: Interesting. Bookmarking for later reading

Daviss: oh yes, I have seen this picture before

AYWalton: here is the article from my blog:

Seventies Soulchild: Now the beads are also interesting. Wonder what that represents???

AYWalton: http://usctchronicle.blogspot.com/search?q=Lewis+martin good question. not known. well his grave has just been found, and I spoke with the lady that found it, and we are now going to have a Civil War marker for his grave put there. She also found an obit that confirmed that it was the same man.

Seventies Soulchild: So you have already written the VA??

AYWalton: The article spoke about a colored man with one arm and one leg who was a civil war veteran who had died. No I just got the phone call an hour ago from the lady. we spoke and she said she was going to start a fund to get a headstone. I asked her why, when he could have an official government stone for free.

Seventies Soulchild: VA should do it for free.

AYWalton: she was so surprised to learn this. they do. she was not aware is all. So I told her what can be done and offered to work with her to get a stone. I also told her I want to be at the dedication. she is a local historian and documents the US Colored Troops.

Seventies Soulchild: Glad you were able to help her out with that AYWalton.

AYWalton: I am also glad. Well I had bettern run. Poor Daviss, she keeps getting bumped. well have a good day, Soulchile.

Seventies Soulchild: Well Daviss you need to get your line checked again. Have a good day.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy