Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-05-10 Genealogy Bank change

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:45
End: 13:18:26
Chatters: alt, bbenn, Daviss, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

alt: hey lady Daviss, what's up?

Daviss: hey alt! I am rather chilly this morning, all wraped up in a throw what about you?

alt: a little chilly here too, but I'm not wrapped up LOL

Daviss: lol

alt: I see that Shelley is already in Cincy,,, hope she is enjoying herself.

Daviss: She went rather early

alt: yes she did.. I guess she is ther for the entire conference.

Daviss: but she has been roaming for the last two weels lol

alt: must be nice....

Daviss: Her presentation is not until Sat I guess. Are you ready to go

alt: I hope so....I'm still gonna try and make it, busy weekend.... B'Day tomorrow & Mother's Day Sunday.

Daviss: oh your BD or is it Anita's

alt: yep, that's what da old calendar be's telling me LOL ... mine

Daviss: lol lol well what do you think of our pres now that he made his announcement

alt: about??? his position on Gay marriage?

Daviss: yep Wanda Sykes will be on CNN in a few talking about it and will be on Gates show on Sunday lol

alt: I just wish it could be stated without all of the political 'mumbo-jumbo"

Daviss: well my dear partner anything that man says or does they always make it political

alt: I'm for anything that might promote a 'stable' relationship. yep, that's for sure.... I just wish they could report on what he says and not get into the trying to interpret his words.... it is what it is.

Daviss: yep!

Seventies Soulchild: Hello alt and Daviss

Daviss: I just hope and wish that the passion will hurry and come out soon regarding election

alt: here she is.... hello Ms Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: hi there seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Yes here I am.. lol

alt: hi Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

Daviss: Hi Selma! how's it going Sel and Seven

Seventies Soulchild: doing well. How is everyone?

Daviss: she is on CNN now rather by phone

Selma: Good afternoon/morning i alt, Daviss and seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Hey alt. Happy early birthday!

alt: just read where there are over 100k folks involved with indexing the 1940 census.

Selma: Alt..Happy birthday

Seventies Soulchild: who is on CNN by phone?

Daviss: Wanda Sykes

alt: thanks Selma & Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: oh. Hello vkn

alt: hello vkn

Daviss: 100k is a good number alt

Selma: The 1940 Virginia census is on line at family search..just posted and vkn is a searching.. LOL I see that you have had some luck vkn

Daviss: hi vkn!

vkn: greetings alt daviss Selma Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: ugh what is taking so long with MS. On facebook they announced that it will be searchable shortly. But I still can't search That was over the weekend.

Selma: VA was completed over 2 weeks ago seventies..it takes time

Daviss: hint was not giving a date seventies lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol You are right about that.

Daviss: lol

alt: does 'searchable' mean indexed?????

Seventies Soulchild: I should go through and look for my BFF's father.

Selma: YES alt..

Seventies Soulchild: He's from VA

vkn: Yes and thanx so much Selma. Not able to download image and Herman was born 1927 by birth certificate. Now will look for KEELING and CALLAWAY

Selma: Well take yourself to family search

alt: okay Selma, thanks

Seventies Soulchild: I will later. Chat first.

Selma: I don't think I knew that he was from Roanoke vkn..is that where the family is from?

Seventies Soulchild: You know, I wonder if any other records were released in conjunction with the census this year? Meaning are any records, local records now available for public viewing.

vkn: Selma they were back and forth from Boone's Mill in Franklin County

Seventies Soulchild: oops... lol

alt: Seventies Soulchild, ancestry just announced th latest 'uploads'. they now have have over 1 billion records online... and familysearch is uploading 'new' records every week too.

Selma: Its almost hard to keep up, unless you stay online all day

alt: you got that right Selma

Daviss: lol the kids already accuse me of that Selma

vkn: Selma the KEELING group wa originally in Norfolk Not sure where Africa Keeling originated

Seventies Soulchild: I read the announcement on Twitter yesterday alt. Amazing! But unfortunately I only have access to U.S. records.

Selma: I thought they were in Norfolk..

alt: U.S. records are enough for Seventies Soulchild .. I haven't got got out of the country yet... excpet fo Canada enough for me

Daviss: :?

Seventies Soulchild: No I am on the British birth and death records database. Trying to get off. lol

Selma: Why are you there seventies?

Daviss: why are you there Seventies lol

alt: oh Davis,,, the Harris guy you mentioned.... where in TX are his folks from? Brazoria???

Seventies Soulchild: My children were born in the U.K. So their birth extract is available online.

Selma: Oh..well I don't think they are going to take you off

Daviss: Yes alt, I think that is them in Brazoria

Seventies Soulchild: I just want my kids off.

Selma: Ummm that is the downside of having all this stuff available online

alt: oh wow.. I found them Daviss ... The Michael Harris was married to a 2nd cousin from Sidney, OH... man, the world just keeps getting smaller.

vkn: Is there a stigma to being there Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Well my children are minors.

Daviss: oh really alt!

vkn: I see seventies

alt: yeo Daviss.... Ihave the connection on my website, but no deatiled information as they are still living. man, I can't type a lick today.... or any other day for that matter LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol

Daviss: I just happened to give your link to a collateral cousin of mine because he wanted to get a page for his folks. I showed him the king of TP

Selma: Lots of USCT were mustered out in Brazario I remember seeing that name

Daviss: in the meantime his friend called and he told him what a wonderful page you had and gave him the link Thats when he spotted his grandfathers name

Selma: He musta been shocked

alt: thanks for the 'plug' Daviss

Daviss: yes he was.

alt: Selma.. and with the right wife & child LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Well shoot since you have all these folks on your site alt, do you have any Bowmans or Logans from Ohio? lol

Daviss: He of course knows little about his grandfather so mabe he will get interested

alt: I think I some of both Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: His known family left Texas early alt and ended up in Ohio

vkn: Its a Buckeye world alt lol

alt: I know I have them from around this area in Ohio Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: How about Hattie Logan? or Harriet Logan Huron Co. OH

alt: all roads lead to Ohio .... from Virginia LOL LOL

Daviss: lol lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol

alt: I doubt if i have that one Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I do have a question alt or Selma. Anyone born before 1863 in old Virginia would've still answered in later censuses that they were born in VA right? Someone born about 1860.

alt: could be Seventies Soulchild, but a lot of folks were born in what is now West Virginia & Kentucky when they were still a part of VA and they list WV & KY as their birth locations especailly around 1860.... whe WV spilt from VA around 1863 or so. right Selma???

Selma: Hold on making a sandwich

Seventies Soulchild: This is Welcome Bowman's father Jacob Bowman's place of birth. But I figured that he came from pre 1863 VA to OH

Selma: They split in 1861...

alt: okay Selma, thanks

Seventies Soulchild: Welcome Bowman was the husband of my aunt Julia Washington

Selma: They should have recorded their births as VA..but you never know what folkssay

Seventies Soulchild: And Huron Co. OH is in northern Ohio

Daviss: In the 1870 census I have people that were born in Ga, Ala and NC. However in the area they live in (10-12 pages on census) there are no non AA's near, what ave can I use to narrow down a county?

vkn: My Nelson followed Daniel Boone from KY to VA

Daviss: Or have I asked that question before of you all

alt: hey y'all .. on the John Legend segment coming up Sunday... if his FPOC ancestors researched are the Hargo's of Ohio, they were negihbors of my Allen & Walden ancestors in Ross & Pickaway counties from like the 1830's forward.

Seventies Soulchild: Looking forward to the episode alt... will you be able to watch on TV Sunday or will you have to watch online?

Daviss: that would be good to hear alt..

alt: DAviss, you might try looking at the suranmes in those states and note the counties in earlier census records.

Selma: Yes, look to see where folks were from in the earlier censuses

alt: I'll have to watch online Monday or on TV MOnday evening Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: Ok but they had no counties listed

Selma: Daviss..are there books on the history of these counties..they usually have a chapter on where the folks came from originally There is a migration pattern from other states

alt: do a search on those surnames Daviss .. HQ or what ever you use... those surnames will show up in various census years by county within state.

Daviss: ok, I guess I can use the SW Quarterly and see what I can find

alt: and then try and zero in on the names you are familiar with in the States you have listed GA, AL & NC

Daviss: browse the index to see if they list texas counties and go from there. Thx

vkn: Good search approach

Seventies Soulchild: hello bbenn

alt: i do that all of the time on Ancestry....That's how I found FPOC Hargo's in Ross & Pickaway County OH.... search Hargo, then added Black for race and found them as early as 1830.

vkn: Howdy bbenn

bbenn: Hello alt, Daviss, Selma, Seventies, vkn:}

alt: hello bbenn

Daviss: I did a name search of all the White Surname on the 50 and 60 census for Grimes County texas but could not come up with a county in Ala Hello BBenn

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss, perhaps they only lived in AL but born in GA

Selma: Alt..my Mom is watching the Golf Channel..the Players just came on

Daviss: Joseph White was born in Ala

Selma: Afternoon bbenn

alt: go Mom LOL .. is Tiger in the tournament this week?

bbenn: HOWDY!

Selma: yes..but don't know where he is

alt: he missed the cut last week.

Daviss: ended up in Tx but he has been hard for me to find him or his father Jsoeph White I am trying to find his slave inventory from Ala

alt: try loking for Joseph White in AL and/or GA during those census years Daviss.. hopefully you'll find some and the counties they were living in.

Selma: Is Joseph white the slave owner daviss..

Daviss: yes both father and son

alt: also you might try the slave schedules for those same years 1850/1860 for a Joseph white in those States, if you haven't already tried that.

Daviss: Son lived past 1890 I have looked for his obit but so far no luck I was thinking I could get a clue from there

Selma: alt..lead is at -6

alt: if not an obit.. perhaps he is listed on a death index

Daviss: nada so far alt but I will keep looking

alt: okay Selma, thanks.

Seventies Soulchild: good day all

alt: godd day Seventies Soulchild Oops , good day

Selma: So when does Joseph show up in Grimes County?

Daviss: He is on the 60 70 census

Selma: Tiger is at 2 over par alt

Daviss: not sure when he ended up in Texas

alt: that sounds about right for him on day 1 Selma Hope he can get it together..

vkn: See you 2nite bbenn and all

Daviss: oh yes, the miracles tonight

Selma: I have a meeting tonight bbenn..so might be late

Daviss: will smokey be there lol

bbenn: Yes, we will have two give aways for the best true miracle story.. The show is featured on the btr website.

alt: hope I can stay up & awake for the show bbenn. 9:00 is getting near my 'light's out' time LOL

bbenn: Do any of you use genealogy bank?

Selma: Is that the newspaper site bbenn?

Daviss: I do on occasion

bbenn: I understand alt..tune in the listen tomorrow...:} Yes, the newspaper site. I participated in a user meeting on yesterday and they are considering making changes to the site.

alt: I always listen on Friday even if I was there Thurs nite bbenn... trying to make sure I didn't miss anything LOL LOL

bbenn: lol lol lol

Selma: I use it when I remember I have a subscription.. LOL

alt: GenealogBank is subscription, right?

Daviss: what kind of changes bbenn

bbenn: With the proposed changes, you will have a much easier chance of finding information.

Selma: Oh well that is always good to hear bbenn I have to run folks ..have a great day

Daviss: I would like to see a full page instead of the clipping only

bbenn: The homepage will have a much easier way to search...a map that will take to the the cities, counties...

Daviss: bye Sel

Selma: Bye

bbenn: I found 8 articles on my great aunt.

Daviss: or at least the ability to see a full page

bbenn: unfortunately, you will still see the clippings!

Daviss: so just changes to the home page Oh I don't mind the clippings but I would like the ability to see the page it is on also

bbenn: so far...other users may have made additional recommendations. I did not like how you had to click on all of the documents to find the right one.

Daviss: right bbenn I cant take that also I started to not renew because of that once and changed my mind

alt: I'm outa here ladies..... take care & hope to see ya tonite.

Daviss: bye alt

bbenn: I also did not understand why they had a box to exclude words and the year. She never worked for me.

Daviss: understood

bbenn: typo- this never worked for me. see you later! nice chatting.

Daviss: well I shall see when the changes take place

bbenn: ok

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy